Windchime

by ShelbyLove

Cold, she felt cold while brushing a piece of hair out of her face.It was still outside. Her heart felt heavy and swollen deep within her chest. She made her way to the front porch and, pressed her hand against the cool glass door. She knew she had to go inside the small brick house that she had made a home over the years. It was her grandparent's home. They had practically raised her ever since she opened her beautiful brown eyes. She opened the door. It creaked as she stepped through the threshold and onto the pink tiled floor. She glanced around the somewhat crowded room. Her mother, father, brothers, and many other various relatives gave her a nod. She felt as if her heart had fallen through the floorboards. She drew in a slow shaky breath. She brushed passed shoulders as her feet carried her though the little room. She realized she was walking to her grandmother's beautiful room.

The sun shone through the drawn back curtains. Her grandmother had opened the window. It felt wonderful inside the well lit cozy room. She inhaled. The familiar scent of her grandmother's favorite perfume hung in the air. She smiled. It felt safe. She flung herself on her grandmother's warm bed and smiled. The smile was returned. "Happy Birthday," she whispered. She leaned in to give her grandmother a hug. She loved being in the familiar embrace.

She opened her eyes. The memory tore at her heartstrings. She made her way up to the still bed. That's when she saw her. It wasn't real. It couldn't be. A tear slid down her hollow cheek. She leaned down and lightly brushed her grandmother's hair back. Her forehead was pale and cold. She shivered. She was full of anger. She hadn't been there to tell her favorite woman goodbye. She hated herself for that. She knew she had to leave. "I love you," she said in a shaky voice.

As she made her way to the porch she could feel the sunlight hitting her achy, mourning body. The clouds had cleared. It was so still outside. Almost eery she thought. That's when she heard something. A windchime. Why would the windchime make it's elegant sound? It was so still outside. That lovely sound. It was simple yes but, from that moment she was not angry anymore. She thought of it as her grandma saying that it would be okay. A faint smile played around her lips as she made her way to the car.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:36 pm
NoirLumiere wrote a review...

Hello, Shelby. Welcome to YWS, first off. I'm Noir, and I'll be your reviewer today.

First, I must applaud you for creating a great balance of happiness and sadness. You can really feel the emotion that she is feeling, and that made me smile. It was magnificent in that respect.

There were, however, a few places where you put grammar mistakes. For example, in the last "Almost *eery*..." It is actually, "eerie."

Next, you used the word "it's" in the wrong place. If the it is possessive, no apostrophe is required.

Overall, it was a fantastic story that I liked a lot. 9/10 on my hyena scale of reading material.

Nice meeting you and keep writing.

Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:28 am
dogs wrote a review...

Hello there Shelby! Dogs here with your review. First if I may say WELCOME TO YWS! I do hope you enjoy your time here, if you ever need anything, help a review or anything, just let me know and I'd be happy to comply :). Ok, now on to ze review. I think you have a wonderful piece here, I love the imagery and description that you use incredibly well. A little minor things that I'd like to touch on:

Firstly, notice how, especially in your first paragraph, almost every single line starts with "she" or has "she" in it. The repetition of "she" gets to a point where it slows down the piece and breaks the rhythm of your excellent writing. You can break out of the issue by writing in the present tense at times. So when you say: "It creaked as she stepped through the threshold and onto the pink tiled floor. She glanced around the somewhat crowded room." Now you can make this a little smoother by saying: "Creaking while stepping through the threshold and onto the pink tiled floor, she glanced..." You get the point. It just makes the flow smoother at times.

On a separate note, the only other slight problem I had with this piece is that you used so many fragment sentences. True, in short story writing you can get away with them more and often times they can be used effectively to your short stories benefit. Although, if you ever have a chance to avoid using fragment sentences, do so. So in the first couple lines you say:

"Cold. She felt cold. She brushed a piece of hair out of her face."

You could edit this to something more like: Cold, she felt cold while brushing a piece of hair out of her face." Not only does it eliminate the issue of the repetition of "she," but it makes it feel smoother all around.

That's really all I have to say. I loved this piece, I certainly hope to see more of your brilliant writing. Let me know if you ever need a review. Keep up the good work!

TuckEr EllsworTh :smt032

ShelbyLove says...

I took your advice and changed the beginning. Thank you very much for your input! (:

Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.
— Søren Kierkegaard