z

Young Writers Society



The Wednesday Girl: Nicholas Baxter

by eorchard


Darcy disappeared on a Wednesday. I had been brushing my teeth, thinking about penguins and kneecaps when I got the news. An hour later, I was standing in her bedroom, squinting at a small puddle of sticky blood. I adjusted my gaze to examine the rest of the room and caught myself wondering about animals bigger than whales.



"What do you think?"



I blinked back to reality and looked at the young woman questioning me. She was new to the division. I didn't like her; she was loud.



"I think a girl is in trouble," I stated, feeling her question was fairly obvious. Anyone could see that the girl had fought her attackers. Remembering the blood, I hoped it was not the girls. It wasn't enough to be fatal, but it was enough to make a mother scream. I rubbed my jaw and peered quizzically at a wall dedicated to photos and scribbled notes. Several photos contained the victim herself-- an average looking girl with a wide smile and crinkling eyes. Most of the pictures involved her and two teenagers: a young Asian girl and a boy with messy caramel hair.



My comrade rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath disapprovingly. I happily ignored her and stepped over the rusty blood to get a better view of the teenager’s shrine. The new detective started rambling facts about the case. All of it was fairly obvious: the girl had been taken early that morning and had been discovered missing (an odd phrase) when her mother came to wake her for school.



I wondered if her friends were waiting by her locker, waiting to say good morning and laugh about silly things. I stuck my hand in my pocket and took out a packet of gum. Of course, I offered a piece to my new partner, but I knew that she'd only glare and say no thank you. I tipped my head as I examined the pictures closely, quickly noting the obvious.



A pause.



"No, thank you." my partner said sourly.



I shrugged, unmoved by her rejection, and popped a piece into my mouth before pocketing the rest of the packet.



I leaned more to the left, following the trail of pictures. My quest was halted quickly-- a picture was missing. There was a loose pin in place for the missing the picture. Ah. This was interesting. I peeked behind the short bookshelf resting next to the wall, but didn't see the picture hiding in the recess of the shelf. I hummed and dropped completely to the ground.



My search escalated slowly, tumbling over dirty laundry and a stack of old papers before resting itself under the bed. I stretched my arm out and picked up the photo before standing slowly and brushing myself off with my free hand.



"Are you even listening?" my partner groaned.



She was still talking? I had completely tuned her out. Instead of righting the apparent wrong and focusing my attention on the loud detective, I held the photo closer to my eyes and silently marked out the obvious. I flipped the photo around and scanned over the gentle looping scrawl of names on the back. Darcy's handwriting was soft and long. I memorized the names and folded the picture into my jacket pocket.



Alec Rogers. The carmel haired boy.



Macy Chen. The small Asian girl.



Darcy Jaques. The victim. The Wednesday girl.



"Baxter? Detective Baxter."



My partner sounded exasperated. In an attempt to placate her, I blinked and turned back to her.



"Hm?" I replied, albeit, airily.



She folded her arms and I saw a small note book in her hands. Heavens. She was going to be one of those detectives. I had avoided her type (or, quite honestly, any type) for a long time. She would stare at her notes and she would glare at that notebook until her eyes bled. And because she was looking at her note book, she wasn't looking at what she needed to see. Then, she'd get frustrated, so she'd make up some story to fit the details. I knew there was something I didn't like about her.



She motioned to me.



"Have something you'd like to share?" she asked.



I shoved my hands into my pants pockets and blew air out of my cheeks, puffing them out obnoxiously as I shrugged. As I did, I felt the packet of gum and realized what she must have meant. I cross the room, took out the gum and handed her a piece.



After that, I returned to the comfort of ignoring her. Since I had cross the room, towards the window. There was a desk there, and among the scattered doodles, papers, and office supplies, I noted something interesting. I picked up the object of my observation and held it close to my eyes.



My partner moaned loudly.



"Gloves, detective." She pleaded.



I sighed and replaced the object. It didn't matter, because I knew what I wanted. First, I wanted to get away from my partner for ten minutes. Second, I wanted to talk to Macy Chen. Third, I wanted to know whether or not penguins had knees. Finally, I wanted to visit the doctor's clinic that the pen on Darcy's desk advertised.



It, fortunately, didn't have to be in order. Except for the getting away from my partner. That absolutely had to happen first. I left the room and pressed my hands back into my pockets.



"Where are you going?"



"Out." I replied.



"Detective!" My partner hissed. I walked on, and smiled when my partner was caught between officers and a weeping woman; Darcy's mother.



I walked out of the house and got into my car. Once i started to drive away, I pulled out my phone and held it up.



"Siri," I asked, "do penguins have knees?"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91930
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:56 am
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Oh my God.

Okay, so first comment: I'm dying over the whole penguins and knees thing. I love it, although the way this is written it almost makes Detective Baxter seem incompetent. He's completely ignoring his partner, doesn't use gloves to touch evidence, immediately dismisses many details in the bedroom as "obvious," and is so fixated on penguins and their potential knees that it's entirely possible that he's actually the one missing evidence, even though he's pretty sure his partner is.

But it's funny, and it's an interesting twist on a detective character--rather than a hardboiled gumshoe, we already have someone who's a little different. Penguins and knees? Animals bigger than whales? It makes me wonder if this is his way of dealing with the harsh realities of his job, or if it's just a little character quirk.

Second comment: Do you have any idea how many times in this short part of your story you use the word obvious?

Answer: 4. I counted.

And the whole thing is less than 1000 words long. It doesn't seem like repeated use of one word would be a big deal--and in some ways, it's not. Easy example: "the." You can use words like "the" as many times as you want in a story, because your readers' brains won't register it. It's the kind of word we skim over as we read, the kind of word we'll read when it's supposed to be there--even if you forget to include it--because it's such a normal part of our language.

But a word like "obvious," well...the story started sounding like it was being written by Sherlock Holmes, leaving me a clueless Watson.

"It's obvious."
"...not to me?"

You don't necessarily have to be specific about what "obvious" things the narration is passing over. If your intent in using phrases like "passing over the things that were fairly obvious" was to avoid bogging down the story with inane details, that's cool...but we still need some idea of WHAT was fairly obvious, since the average reader is probably not a homicide detective.

Here is an example where you DO do this:

All of it was fairly obvious: the girl had been taken early that morning and had been discovered missing (an odd phrase) when her mother came to wake her for school.


In this case, you could simply get rid of "all of it was fairly obvious" and leave us the description of the girl's disappearance. If you feel a need to show us that Detective Baxter feels like the details his partner is spouting are useless, you could show us in a different way, i.e.:

The girl had been taken early that morning and had been discovered missing (an odd phrase) when her mother came to wake her for school, blah, blah, blah...


or:

The girl had been taken early that morning and had been discovered missing (an odd phrase) when her mother came to wake her for school...I tuned out my partner's voice, focused on the details of Darcy's bedroom.


(In other news, I love that the detective notices and comments on the contradictory nature of the phrase "discovered missing.")

Anyway, the other problem with "I skipped over the obvious details" with no other hint as to what those details are (for example, as Detective Baxter skims over the pictures, "quickly noting the obvious") is that it makes it sound as if you, the writer, have no idea which details would be obvious. Maybe you do, but completely skipping them this way makes it sound like you don't. Thus, it's to your benefit as well as the readers' to delete this phrase and replace it with a little more detail.

Hope this helps!

Blue




eorchard says...


Thank you so much for your review! Your comments are really helpful and I'll be sure to take note. I agree, my writing from Baxter's point of view is rather vague on details and I'll have to brainstorm so ideas to give it just enough detail without giving it away. I originally wrote this as a one page story prompt, but my friend got a hold of it during math class and insisted that I write more. So everyday, I tried to surprise myself and my friend by leaving a clue for the next day of reading. It takes a fresh pair of eyes to point out that it can be a little too confusing for the readers. Thank you again for your review, I'll be sure to take your suggestions seriously and continue to build my draft of The Wednesday Girl. :)



BluesClues says...


Oh! Well, that makes perfect sense, that this was written as a one-page prompt. But I'm glad your friend got a hold of it, because it was a fun read.



User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 1326
Reviews: 12

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:29 am
View Likes
Elinor565 wrote a review...



Hey there, and Happy Review day! Elinor here for a review.
I really have to say this: I love your character Baxter. He's so hilariously eccentric and absent minded, and his obsession about animal knees made me laugh with amusement.
I like the fact that despite the girl was kidnapped/running away/injured, you still managed not to dwell upon the doom and gloom, and instead suffused your piece with humour.
The general idea, though I have seen a few times already, holds my interest enough to make me read on, and the actual structure is perfect for a mystery book - it doesn't linger too much on details like the shape of the table or the exact shade of green the curtains were like some writers...(I'm looking at you, Charles Dickens!).
I'm not going to so any nit-picking, since, as far as I can tell, there aren't any punctuation or grammatical mistakes.
From a fellow reviewer, I salute you.
Ps. I'll be looking forward to your next chapter! :-)




eorchard says...


Thank you so much for your review! I'm really pleased that you like Baxter. He's such a fun character to play with, and quite honestly, a surprise to my own imagination. I feel like I consistently fall into a rut of characters that are grumpy and brooding, so Baxter and his worries over animals and their knees has provided a great experience for me. I'm glad you could find the humor in this piece, which, when I started it the first time, actually freaked me out a bit (surprise, surprise, I don't fancy being kidnapped). Thanks aain for your review and I'll be looking forward to your comments on chapter two of The Wednesday Girl. :)




The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune