z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

heavy metal

by anja94


the drums in my head

reflect in my heart

and each strum of my guitar

only leads me so far

going back and forth

away from you

and back to who

we used to be.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:17 am
Willard wrote a review...



Hey, yo, Anja84! Strangelove here on this PokeReview Day and I have a review for you!
Well, I enjoyed this. I'm not that sure what to overall think of it, but I liked it. It was short and sweet. The lines were fluent and pieced together well. No over exaggerated word choice or the attempt to push all romantic words to a fault.
What I liked about this is the comparison of heavy metal to the romance of a couple. How it starts off with some peaceful strings, then gradually intensifies as time goes. I honestly never seen this comparison before. I mean, "sweet guitar strings pluck like you do to my heart" we've all seen that. Not only do you toss in something more original, but you pack it short. You don't go over the top like your name is Sylvester Stallone.
The emotion of it, felt somewhat heartless. I understand how the narrator can be scorned or confused or just depressed, but it's one of those poems. The poem that takes a deeper side yet doesn't care to explain some stuff. You just approach it with somewhat of an artistic idea about romance, but it feels insecure to be honest. Just, it doesn't explain what needs to be explain.
Overall, good job.
Strange gives you..
8.4/10
Good job,
Keep writing,
Stay groovy, my friend.

#TeamPlasmaStruck




User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 12011
Reviews: 212

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:04 am
ScarlettFire wrote a review...



Hey there, anja94! Scarlett here to review your poetry!

This is a cute little poem. Very short and very simple, and very much straight to the point. I like the title you've used. It feels very fitting, and I love the imagery you've given me. The drums and the guitar. It has a very musical feel to it, and I love that.

I can't choose a single line I love best, though I really do like this part;

the drums in my head
reflect in my heart
and each strum of my guitar
only leads me so far


It feels very fitting. The rest seemed to just fade, and I'm not sure if that was your intention or not. If it's not, I can suggest trying to edit it and give it a bit more umph! If you know what I mean? It also feels like it might have been cut a little bit short. Again, I don't know if this was intentional or not. If it was, ignore this. If it wasn't, I highly recommend you fiddle a bit. It could turn out even better and I'm very willing to come back and read a revamped version! Let me know if you ever do rewrite this. <3

And that's about it from me. I can't help any more than I already have. I hope this helped you. And remember; keep it up and never stop writing!

~Scar.

This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.
Image




User avatar
289 Reviews


Points: 30323
Reviews: 289

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:20 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...



the one complaint I have is that black metal is usually more emotional than heavy metal, so the title isn't quite as appropriate as it should be

*sits atop high chair of genrepickyness*




anja94 says...


haha, sorry - I'm not too familiar with the whole genre. I was just listening to Led Zeppelin (which is heavy metal) and it inspired me to write this, just brought out all kinds of feelings. since LZ is heavy metal, I decided on that name. Thanks for your comment! :)



Judas says...


no problem haha, I was joking.



User avatar
184 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 184

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:16 pm
RoyalHighness wrote a review...



RoyalHighness has arrived to review your very first post!
Welcome, welcome, welcome! Anyone who knows me knows I ADORE new people so if you ever need anything at all- points, gifts, reviews, likes, comments, a hug, a dinosaur but only on tuesdays– just message me!

Alright, let's get started!

The One and Only Nitpick

Spoiler! :
only leads me so far
going back and forth
away from you

So this poem in and of itself is short and powerful, like an uppercut or a swift kick to the abdomen.
The nitpick here is in the line "going back and forth." This line makes the one-sentence poem a run-on sentence, and it doesn't flow with the first half of the poem. If you'd like to fix this, I'd suggest either punctuating "far," or adding a conjunction between "far," and "going." Just a thought, a suggestion, a recommendation, not an obligation.


Content
Spoiler! :
Well, first off, great job on the metaphor of the drums reflecting a heartbeat. It's a little cliched but you made that cliche new in one little word: "reflect." Most people would write "drums like a heartbeat," or "heartbeat drummer," or something sappy and cheesy but you made something simple into something elegant with a single word. Be proud!
I don't really get the connection between strumming a guitar and leading somebody "so far," but I'm sure it's a guitarist thing. I'm a pianist myself so perhaps I'm just not cool enough to make that connection.
I like the ending; I'm a big fan of phrases like "who we used to be," and "who we were," and "what we once were," and things of that nature. Lines like these leave me with a feeling of loss and emptiness, which are both strong emotions and probably the emotions you meant to bring out. Great job on making me sad, is basically what I'm trying to say.


Conclusion
The Lord knows my first post on YWS wasn't nearly as good as this one, so for your very first post, I shall award you a solid and significant eight stars out of ten! Great job!




anja94 says...


hey & thank you so much! I will see what I can do about the flow of that one line. by 'only leads me so far' I meant that even though playing the guitar is great distraction/therapy etc., but it only leads me so far and can't really make the pain go away. instead i keep "going back and forth" etc.
Again, thanks so much! I appreciate your review!





Ah! *understands* Thank you for clearing that up! And any time, dear



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 359
Reviews: 31

Donate
Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:10 pm
TonelessBard wrote a review...



Hey there! I'm here to review this poem because of the title \m/. Before I say anything about it, I have to thank you for returning my hope that someone on this page actually listens to heavy metal (or am I wrong?).

"the drums in my head

reflect in my heart"

That's exactly what I wanted to write someday as a teenager when I started to listen to heavy metal, but I guess this idea is already used by you ;).
Then the whole poem got me confused with this "you and I" thing. I'm probably stupid and don't quite understand it but I hope there's some abstract point at these last few lines. Anyway, you can write and you have talent, that's for sure. I'd like to read more from you especially with themes like this. Keep writing and stay metal! (If you are... as I said, I'm probably wrong)

~Bard




anja94 says...


hey! thank you so much for your review!
actually, I do listen to some heavy metal, but just artists like Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith etc. ...
I don't know if you wanted me to explain it to you by saying that the whole "you and I thing" confused you, so I'm just going to go ahead and do it haha! "going away from you" because the person has changed so much over time it is damaging "and back to who we used to be" so rather holding on to the memories of how the 'you' and 'I' used to be together. which doesn't make it less painful, but love doesn't really make sense anyways, does it? I hope this helped and didn't just confuse you more. Thank you so much for your kind words!



TonelessBard says...


No, I think I get it :) Thank you for the poem!




I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina