12+

Salamander Wings: Chapter 2: Wilson and Laney

by Sillia

Chapter 2: Wilson and Laney

I understand now why people are afraid of the dark.

The darkness that engulfed us was one like no other. There were no friendly, twinkling stars to be seen in the distance, nothing to say that we were really going anywhere at all. The only thing I was aware of was Dog-Face’s hand gripping my neck, and Cat-Brat’s mad, high-pitched laughter. I closed my eyes, hoping to see a brighter darkness when I opened them again. A queasy feeling settled in the pit of my stomach, and I knew instantly that I did not like shadow-travel, if this in fact, was what we were doing. I opened my eyes again, and saw a light from somewhere above us, a shining sun in an endless night. Suddenly, I wasn’t so keen on going back into the light. Where ever Dog-Face was taking me, I was sure not to like it. 

For the first time, I longed to be back in classroom 7-C with Mr. Fig droning on in the front of his class, and Garren and his ‘gang’ behind me, trying to get on my nerves, which they managed to do at least once every day. I wanted to see my brother and Emmany, and even Garren. Just to know that they were all okay. The darkness seemed to be draining the life out of me, and even the small circle of sunlight that rapidly grew bigger with each passing second did nothing to install a new hope. In fact it seems to be helping the dark, filling me with dread and fear. Dreading what would happen to me when we arrived through the sun whole and fearing for Garren and Emmany. I blinked, and we were emerging from the darkness into a near-dark room witch looked suspiciously like a dungeon cell.

Dog-Face dropped me, and I hit the ground hard, gasping for air as pain ran up my injured wing. He grabbed me by the back of my collar and lifted me roughly to my feet, shoving me against a brick wall. His sneering face was inches from my own and he kept his arm firmly across my chest to keep me from going anywhere, though he seemed less inclined to kill me now.

“Let her go!” a familiar voice yelled.

“Garren!” I gasped as I recognized his voice. “Where’s Emmany?! Are either of you hurt?!”

“Don’t try to be a hero, handsome.” Cat-Brat purred to him, cutting off his response.

I peered past Dog-Face’s shoulder to where Garren knelt, cords tied around his wrists, pinning his arms to his side. Emmany lay on the floor in front of him, her head resting on her arm and her red hair spilling out around her. Her breathing was shallow and quick and her fiery wings were nearly crippled. A third Mutant stood behind Garren, a handful of Garren’s dirty blonde hair in his hand and a short blade held to his throat. Cat-Brat walked over to him, running a wicked long nail down his cheek.

“Akien, can I keep him?” she purred to Dog-Face, her haughty eyes glued to Garren, “I need a new toy.”

Fury filled me and I lashed out at Dog-Face, trying to free myself, “Stay away from him!” I hissed.

See, the thing is, I like cats. They tend to be more loyal than dogs. They don't track mud in the house, are generally home on time, and will curl up next to you if you're kind to them. I think I just like them better when they aren't talking and threatening my friends.  

She turned and looked at me through narrowed eyes, a growl springing up in her throat. She pushed Dog-Face to the side gently and dug her nails into my shoulder before I had a chance to move. “You’ll do well to remember this Dare.” She hissed, “I always get what I want.”

“I’m sure you do you spoiled brat.” I sneered back.

She dug her nails deeper into my shoulder, making me cry out in pain. Garren struggled to free himself, fury in his eyes.

“Now, now Lily, that’s no way to treat our guest.” Dog-Face laughed, pushing her away from me.

She glared at me through her almond-shaped brown eyes and I glared right back, standing firm and strong against the wall. My hands were curled into fists at my sides, but with Garren trapped I could do nothing.

“Let them go, I’ll stay.” My voice rang around the silent room.

Dog-Face turned back to me, his dark eyes glinting, “Oh, how heroic!” he mocked. “But you see, without them how do we know you’ll do as your asked?” his voice was as smooth as silk, “We’ll just hold onto your little friends for a while longer but rest assured, your not going anywhere.”

He waved his hand and walked to a wrought iron door, inserting a key and pushing it open. Lily (though I still think of her as Cat-Brat) followed Akien loyally, her tabby tail swishing behind her. The third Mutant followed last, throwing Garren to the floor and walking out, the clip-clop of his hooved feet echoing around the cell. He slammed the door shut and walked down a long stone hallway, disappearing into shadows within seconds.

As soon as they were out of sight, I ran forward and dropped to my knee,s untying Garren and helping him to his feet. My fear for him and Emmany shook through my body, causing me to tremble. Sure I hated the guy to the core, but that didn’t mean I wanted him dead, or hurt for that matter. If I ever learned anything at the Compound, it was that you took care of your comrades, no matter how much you hated them.

“Thanks.” Garren said, his voice slightly hoarse.

“Anytime.” I replied tersely.

Now that I knew Garren was at least whole, I turned to Emmany. Once again, I sank down and grabbed her, pulling her into my lap, cradling her head in my arms. I said nothing as Garren sat down beside me, laying a silent hand on Emmany’s shoulder. I extended my wings, meaning to wrap them around the three of us, but the pain was finally too much. I screwed my eyes shut, trying to prevent the tears that threatened to spill from them. Digging my teeth into my bottom lip, I tried to distract myself from the pain in my wing. I bit down until I tasted blood, and then decided that it was best to stop. I folded my right wing to my body, but left my injured one out, letting it droop awkwardly.

“Rae?” Garren’s voice broke through my subconscious.

“What?” I asked, my voice raspy and filled with pain.

“I’m no expert on human wings but I think you’re injured badly.”

Despite everything, a laugh escaped my mouth; the desperate laugh of a madman (or woman in my case). I opened my eyes, allowing a few tears to slip free. “You don’t say?”

A nervous expression over took his face as he extended a hand, reaching for my wing. “Can I take a look?”

I gave him a look of deep mistrust, “Just because we’re locked in a jail cell together doesn’t mean that I have to trust you.” I growled.

Annoyance glittered deep within his topaz-blue eyes, “Why would I want to hurt you when I’m going to need your help getting home?”

“That." I paused, unwilling to admit my defeat. "Is a good point.” I admitted grudgingly.

He pushed himself to his feet and walked around me, kneeling down beside my wing. I kept my arms wrapped around Emmany, watching him through a sideways gaze. His hands were surprisingly gentle for one so rough. He gently peeled away the bloodied feathers as he peered at the gash underneath. I gasped with pain as the air slammed into the cut and jerked my wing away from him.

“Hey, hey, it’s alright, calm down. I just need to see the cut. I’m not going to hurt you.” His voice was soothing and soft.

Surprisingly, his voice calmed me. I extended my wing once more and let him resume his examination. Gently, he kept pulling feathers back until he found the end of the gash.

“How bad is it?” I asked through gritted teeth.

“Pretty bad.” He replied. “I can heal it, but I’m going to need bandages and water.”

“And we have an unlimited amount of supplies!” I said sarcastically.

“Hey!” he exclaimed, sounding slightly hurt, “I was just trying to help!”

Guilt prickled within me, “I know, I know. I’m sorry.” I sighed regretfully.

I'd forgotten that Garren was an Earth Elemental. They'd been trained in the art of basic healing so he was the closest thing we had to a doctor right now.

I looked up, through the bars and out into the hall beyond. Two torches lit the way, illuminating more cells. A tiny square of light could be seen in the distance, suggesting a door or some other opening. Our cell had a single torch in one high corner, casting a spooky light on the small room. A cot lay under the light, metal springs sticking up through the thin mattress. A small puddle of water flickered in the light, looking murky and ill-welcoming. A solid wall rose up behind us, and iron fences made up the other three walls. The cell to the left of us was dark while the one to the right of us was radiating with light. None of the light seeped into our cell however; just looking at the sharp light made my eyes hurt.

“Hello?” A tiny voice whispered from somewhere to our left.

“Huh?” I replied, surprise ringing in my voice.

“I believe she said ‘hello’.” An irritated voice responded to our right.

Garren began to bristle, his hands curling into fists. “Who’s there?” he growled, “Identify yourself!” he commanded.

“Well someone’s a lil’ jumpy.” The second voice grunted. There was a rustling as the stranger got up and walked to the edge of the cell, peering into ours. “Name's Wilson. Wilson Lel. I would shake your hand but there are invisible barriers in between the bars of the cell. It’s to prevent inmates from helping each other. I don't need you names, " he went on quickly as I opened my mouth. "Don't want to get too attached."

Well ain't that kind. I though to myself.

Garren and I turned to peer up at him, shielding our eyes from the blinding light that engulfed his cell. He was older, most likely around eighteen or nineteen, and had dark brown hair and dark eyes. His skin was fair and bulging muscles stood out underneath a ratted old gray t-shirt. Black pants adorned his legs, though his feet were bare. On his wrist he worse leather cuffs, and on his hand a silver ring glinted. Garren seemed obsessed with taking in Wilson, but I was more curious about the first voice. To me, it sounded like a child, and if Wilson was telling the truth, like a little girl. Setting Emmany gently down on the cold floor, I stood and walked to the edge of the cell, trying to ignore the urge to stay out of the darkness.

“Hi there.” I said kindly, straining my eyes as I looked for the child.

Nothing stirred in the darkness and part of my wondered if I had imagined it. Then, a pair of pale eyes opened met mine. “Who are you?” her voice quavered.

“Shhh…It’s alright. We’re not here to hurt you.” I used to same soothing voice that Garren had used on my moments before.

“Like you even could.” Wilson said scathingly.

I shot him a glare and turned back to the child, “My name is Rae. What’s yours?”

“Laney.” Her voice was barely more than a whisper.

“Hi Laney.” I said, smiling gently, unsure of if she could see me. “Can you come closer so I can see you better?”

“Uh-huh.” Laney replied, though her voice remained unsure.

It was a few moments before she came into view, crawling forward on her hands and knees. I gasped with surprise as I saw just how young she was. She looked around elven or twelve, her pale face gaunt and thin. Dark shadows dipped beneath her pale blue eyes and dirty golden-brown hair hung in strands around face. A ragged red dress hung in tatters around her thin, bony frame, a belt made from rope strung around waist. My heart ached for her, this strange girl that I did not know. Instinctively, I reached forward to touch her through the bars. As my fingers passed the bars that joined our cell an electrical current jolted through me. I screamed and jerked away, tears springing up in my eyes once more. Garren gave a cry of fear and worry as he ran to me, pulling me back from the bars and into his arms.

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Wilson said, not unkindly.

I sat there in a stunned silence as the electricity continued to race through my body. Garren’s touch had sent butterflies spinning into my stomach, a feeling that I am not well-acquainted with.

“Rae? Are you okay?” his breath stirred the hair beside my ear.

“I- I’m fine.” I stammered, then quickly regained my hard composure, trying to push myself away from him, “Though I’d be better if you’d let me go.” My voice was scathing and rude.

He released me in a heartbeat and scrambled to his feet, not meeting my eyes as I stood up. Wilson narrowed his own eyes at us as we stood there, tension stretching out the seconds. Finally I remembered Laney.

Whipping around I saw the small child sitting beside the bars, her eyes wide with fear. “Laney? Are you okay?”

She nodded, her bangs falling in front of her face, hiding half of it. “Are you?”

I managed a smile, crouching down so I was eye-level with her. “As fine as I can be little Laney.”

A faint smile curved upon her mouth. I heard a small moan behind me and whipped around to see Emmany attempting to push herself off of the ground.

“Emmy!” I cried, racing towards her, dropping to my knees for what felt like the millionth time.

“Rae? Where are we?” a groan escaped her pale lips.

I watched her for a few heart beats as she sat up, trembling like a leaf in the wing. Her eyes were unusually bright and her skin was a light pastel. “What do you remember?”

“Mr. Fig talking...you talking…then an explosion.” She grasped for words, trying to form sentences that her mind would not comprehend.

Seeing her like this prodded the embers that my worry had died down to, causing it to blaze brighter than the brightest star. “You and Garren were captured by Mutants. Then they went after Ezekiel. I tried to stop them but one of them grabbed me and took me through Shadow-Travel to here…where we are now. Garren and you were here when we came out. I could have gotten free…could have saved you…” I trailed off, dropping my gaze, being unable to hold hers.

“Why didn’t you? Rae, we could be home right now.” Her words stung me.

Garren saved me the trouble of answering. “Because of me.” He said walking forward and kneeling beside us. “They had a knife to my throat. If she did anything they would have killed me.”

Emmany fixed her gaze on Garren, wondering and searching at the same time. “I see.”

“Em don’t be mad.” I winced inwardly at how like a child I sounded.

“I’m not mad Rae. You did what you had to do. We’ll just have to find another way out of here.” She locked her steady gaze with Garren’s. “All of us.”

Wilson cleared his throat, trying to get our attention. “Sorry to break your happy reunion bu-” Garren cut him off with a furious look.

“We know it’s impossible to get out of here.” He snapped.

Wilson rolled his brown eyes at the three of us. “Not what I was going to say. Not at all.”

“What were you going to say?” Emmany’s voice had gone wispy and dreamy as she turned her gaze on him.

He shifted under her gaze, seeming suddenly uncomfortable. “My brother. Tyson. He’s coming down here for me. I told him not to but he wouldn’t listen. I’ll help spring you from here on one condition.”

A growl sprang up in my throat, “What is it Wilson. We have no money or food or anything for that matter.”

“You have each other.” Wilson’s words silenced me in a heartbeat. “If I help get you out of her you are to take that little girl with you.”

“Done deal.” I said without hesitation.

“And my brother.”

What?!” Garren hissed. “Are you mad?! He won’t trust us enough to come with us! He won’t even know the first letter of our names! And what makes you think that we’ll trust him based on your word? You’re probably some horrible criminal or- or a psychopath who murdered seven people or-”

Wilson’s voice was cold as he replied. “Do you want to know what I did?” Laney made a small noise behind us and I looked back in time to see her running back into the shadows.

Frowning, I turned my attention back to Wilson. “I saved a child from execution. It’s not all fun and games here on the Outcasts. All that nonsense about, ‘They all take care of each other.’ ‘We patrol their streets to keep them safe.’ ‘We provide them with shelter, food and water.’ That’s a load of crap. They ‘patrol’ our streets by gunning down those who are out past curfew. They provide us with shelter by digging holes in the earth and telling us to make something out of it with rusted sheet metal and rotted pieces of wood. They provide us food by giving us what you people do not eat. We are provided water from the West Current.”

Emmany gasped, horrified. “The West Current?! That’s where everyone dumps their waste!”

“You think we don’t know that?” Wilson hissed, his eyes blazing with fury.

“The child that you saved…what did they do?” Garren suddenly sounded very small.

“Nothing.” Wilson spat. “Her mother was ill and the only treatment available was too expensive to buy. Tyson and I, we took care of her and her mom. We’d feed them, do our best to cloth them, but the treatment was too much for us as well. The girl, she thought she could deal with the consequences if she stole it, thought no one would be able to catch her with those fancy little wings of hers. But she was wrong. She was caught, and her trial was public, as well as what would have been her execution. I barely got there in time to set her free. You see, I’m a Shadow-Traveler. That is why I am trapped in this cage of light. You need shadows to Shadow-Travel.”

“The girl? What happened to her?” I asked.

“She’s sitting in the cell next to you.” His voice was dark and menacing when he spoke next. “You will take that girl with you. Take her back to her mother and get them out of here. You will take my brother away from this place. Living as an outcast here is not something you want. These are my conditions.”

I turned around and looked back at where two pale eyes stared at me. “Laney…” I whispered. I had to get this girl out of here. One thing was nagging at me though. “But Wilson…what about you?”

“If I surrender myself once I get you all far enough away, they will stop the search to torture the information out of me, and let me tell you, I do not break easily.” A grim smile stretched his face. "And after all, what can I tell them that I do not know?"

“No!” I was on my feet before I knew it, racing to the edge of the cell, wanting to grab him by the shoulders and shake some sense into him. “You can’t!”

“Don’t flatter yourself into thinking I’m doing this for you. I’m doing this for Tyson, for Laney, and for Clamanthra. You’re just a ride along to make sure Tyson is a good boy and does what he’s told.”

“Will, please don’t. You have to come, too.” Laney’s voice was small and broken. “You promised you’d stay with me.”

For the first time since we met him, I saw tears of regret in Wilson’s eyes. “I can’t Laney. I have to protect you first. You’ll still have Ty though. Don’t worry.” His voice was firm and strong.

“Please come with us.” She’d begun to cry.

Wilson turned away from me, raising a hand to whip his eyes. “Promise me you’ll take them with you.” His voice was suddenly strained and sad.

I wanted to reach out and take his hand, but now I knew better. “I promise.” I whispered.

Moments later, the door opened and light was thrown down the hallway.

Now we had to escape.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 am

OH MY GOSH NO. I am so in love with Wilson already and I'm like 99.99% sure he's going to die a slow and painful death after being subjected to a bunch of torture. Oh my gosh. I mean, he's all sarcastic and dark but only because he cares too much and doesn't want to and he saved a little girl and he's sacrificing himself to get her and his brother out and CAN I PLEASE ORDER TWELVE OF HIM?

Sorry. That was completely necessary to this review.

Ahem. Moving on.

So I'm obviously enjoying this so far. I'm more attached to this story, just because of Wilson, than I intended to be.

My main issue with this chapter is this. So, we keep getting Rae thinking about how she doesn't even like Garren, he's terrible, she hates his guts, etc. But the thing is, I don't see a real reason for such animosity yet. I mean, do they have a history of some sort that made her feel this way? Or does he just irritate her?

If it's the first, then I think that tension needs to be present in all of their interactions--even when they're putting aside their mutual dislike for purposes of survival--and she needs to think more in terms of what he did to her than just "I hate his guts."

But if it's the second, she needs to dwell less on her dislike--since he's just annoying, not actually horrible--maybe just show the occasional surprise at his gentleness or whatever like, "Wow, he's actually not annoying right at this moment," which could then (somewhat comedically, if you like) turn into, "Aaaaaaand now we're back to normal" if he says something stupid/annoying a second later.

Because, I just, from what I've actually seen of him so far, he seems like a basically good guy--maybe a little immature and irritating at times, because he's a teenage boy, but a decent sort. So when Rae is going on and on about how much she hates him and can't even put that thought aside when they're trying to help each other survive, it drags her character--which is otherwise engaging and likeable (sassmaster)--down and almost distracts a bit from the story.

In other news, your descriptions and paragraph lengths were better in this chapter. Characterization of Wil was obviously fantastic. And, minus Rae's dislike for Garren, I'm loving her character so far. Her internal thoughts sometimes have me laughing out loud.

Blue

Sillia says...

xD hahaha thanks :) i was unsure if i should continue this story but I will. As for Rae and Garren, their kinda feud will be explained in the next chapter. :) Ty for your review though. It may take a day for me to write the next chapter but it shall be done! #Determination !

Sillia

Sillia says...

Plus i love will too sooo :) its ok xD

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm
AliceWonderland wrote a review...

Hello there! I'm in a rabbit hole right now, so communication doesn't work all the time, but it looks like it's working right now.

I can't remember if I read the first chapter, Wonderland gives you memory loss, but I think I remember you. Well, let's begin while my internet connection lasts in here.

The darkness that engulfed us was one like no other. There were no friendly, twinkling stars to be seen in the distance, nothing to say that we were really going anywhere at all. The only thing I was aware of was Dog-Face’s hand gripping my neck, and Cat-Brat’s mad, high-pitched laughter. I closed my eyes, hoping to see a brighter darkness when I opened them again. A queasy feeling settled in the pit of my stomach, and I knew instantly that I did not like shadow-travel, if this in fact, was what we were doing. I opened my eyes again, and saw a light from somewhere above us, a shining sun in an endless night. Suddenly, I wasn’t so keen on going back into the light. Where ever Dog-Face was taking me, I was sure not to like it. For the first time, I longed to be back in classroom 7-C with Mr. Fig droning on in the front of his class, and Garren and his ‘gang’ behind me, trying to get on my nerves, which they managed to do at least once every day. I wanted to see my brother and Emmany, and even Garren. Just to know that they were all okay. The darkness seemed to be draining the life out of me, and even the small circle of sunlight that rapidly grew bigger with each passing second did nothing to install a new hope. In fact it seems to be helping the dark, filling me with dread and fear. Dreading what would happen to me when we arrived through the sun whole and fearing for Garren and Emmany. I blinked, and we were emerging from the darkness into a near-dark room witch looked suspiciously like a dungeon cell.

First off in here, this is a really big paragraph. I like long paragraphs too, just like the White Rabbit, but long paragraphs can be a bit much for other people. Besides, with short term memory loss, I lose my place in the paragraph. Try finding a place where you can split it. I'm sure you can.

'I opened my eyes again, and saw a light from somewhere above us, a shining sun in an endless night.'

For this sentence specifically, I would say you don't need the comma after again, since it's one straight thought you are going a there. It can flow fine without the comma.

'Where ever Dog-Face was taking me,' Where ever can be combined to wherever.

Between that sentence and 'For the first time,' that's where I say you can split the paragraph into two. It makes sense to end the paragraph there because you went from one thought of the darkness to nostalgia.

“Don’t try to be a hero handsome.”

There should be a comma after hero.

“Akien can I keep him?”

There should be a comma after Akien.

“Now now Lily, that’s no way to treat our guest.”

There should be a comma between the nows

“Oh how heroic!”

There should be a comma after the oh. Also, for the paragraph, you're putting your as you're when it should be the latter.

As soon as they were out of sight, I ran forward and dropped to my knees untying Garren and helping him up from his knees.

There should be a comma after the first knees. As for the second knees, aren't people more likely to help people to their feet instead of knees? To me, he sounds a little hurt, or at least enough to pass by as it's hard to stand by this point. In which case, your protagonist is more likely to help him to his feet than his knees.

“Thanks.” Garren said his voice slightly hoarse.

There should be a comma after said.

“What?” I asked my voice hoarse and filled with pain.

There should be a comma after asked. Another thing, and this is mainly my own opinion, I think you should use a synonym for hoarse, like raspy. It can give a likeness for the two, but also a uniqueness for individual sounds.

“That…is a good point.” I admitted grudgingly.

I would take out the period pause, I don't think it's really needed. If you want to keep it in, to signify a loss of voice because of how hurt she is, then I would rewrite it as, '"That," I pause to wet my dry mouth, "Is a good point." I admitted it grudgingly.'

“Hey hey it’s alright, calm down. I just need to see the cut. I’m not going to hurt you.” His voice was soothing and soft.

There should be a comma after the each hey.

Guilt prickled within me, “I know I know. I’m sorry.” I sighed grudgingly.

There should be a comma after the first I know. Also, you used grudgingly not that long ago, you should use a synonym.

In the next paragraph you spelled doctor wrong, just a small accident.

“Hello?” a tiny voice whispered from somewhere to our left.

A should be capitalized.

“Names Wilson.

Names should be Name's.

To me it sounded like a child, and if Wilson was telling the truth, like a little girl.

There should be a comma after me.

“If I surrender myself once I get you all far enough away, they will stop the search to torture the information out of me and let me tell you, I do not break easily.”

There should be a comma after me.

I’m doing this for Tyson, for Laney and for Clamanthra. You’re just a ride along to make sure Tyson is a good boy and dose what he’s told.”

There should be a comma after Laney. Also you spelled does wrong.

“Will please don’t. You have to come too.”

There should be a comma after Will and come.

His voice was suddenly horse and sad.

Wrong horse. Hoarse.

Very sad ending. (Boo-hoo, boo-hoo) I liked the story, but I don't think I really did read the first chapter. But I never like a sad ending. Not that a sad ending to a chapter is bad, but personally, it makes you very unhappy and want the next chapter to see if everything will be okay.

Good Job!

Well, I'm going deeper in the rabbit hole!

Bye!

<connection lost>

Sillia says...

Haha thanks for you review! (all dem commas xD)

The first thing I do when I have a good quote is always to put a goat in it. uwu
— Liminality