z

Young Writers Society


12+

Second Always Comes Last: Head of Reality

by Blackwood


Second Always Comes Last

Head of Reality

(22)

______________________

Sir’s eyes were black and hollow, but his new bones were so much more prominent. I could see his teeth through his lips, which stretched into an everlasting smile. The mannequins old head had been encompassed in a tight stretchy fabric which had seemed while against the Styrofoam. When we had removed it, it was still white, but much less opaque than we had expected. We fitted it snugly on top of the skull, and all of the bones were still clearly visible, but at the same time Sir’s features from Daniels drawing were just as clear. It was perfect. Sir’s face, Sir’s lips, New bones.

The radio reception down here was crackly, and Beauregard has set it to a channel that played some sort of major Romantic waltz’s. He had long since left, but no-one had bother to change it. It had just merged with the walls and the lights as I had been enthralling in staring at Sir. It was a tiny click that pulled me from my daze. The subtle sound of a pencil dropping.

‘N-Nazi... Since when were you down here?’

I stood up from my crouch below Sir. “I’ve been here the entire time, Hutcheon.” I replied, taking one big step toward him. He took a step backwards.

I picked up the construction pencil which was now at my feet and held it out to him. He made no move to recover it, and kept his distance.

“What are you yourself doing down here, Commander.” I continued, speaking slowly. My hand clasping the pencil twitched violently. The third time today, let I managed to maintain my grasp. Hutcheon however, jumped at this, and took a further three steps backward. His eyes flicked toward the back of Sir’s skull.

‘He’s been communicating with you more recently hadn’t he? It’s stronger. Sir’s spirit is strong in you.’ He laughed nervously. ‘Just don’t let him possess you too often.’

I tightened my lips, obscuring a smile. Hutcheon was still convinced there were supernatural forces behind my seizure, headaches and spasms. He was boss. No need to tell him otherwise. It’s not like he knew the truth anyway.

“Yes. Commander. I stated with a pause between each of the words. Hutcheons eyes were widening, his nose twitching. He blinked at the pencil in my fingers.

‘I’m... I am trying to draw our symbol on the wall but I am terrible at it. Go get Daniel for me.’ He decided, pointing toward the step ladder. I lowered my arm.

“As you wish.” I said, heading outwards. I balanced the pencil carefully on Sir’s shoulder as I left, making sure Hutcheon could see where I put it.

‘And if you see Darany tell him to come as well. I want to talk to him about something.’ He called after me.

I scrambled up the ladder to the back room where I had last seen Daniel. We had found a wig construction machine recently, and it was now Daniel’s job to construct the perfect wig. I came up behind his workstation, quietly.

“Is the construction going well, Swanson?” I asked. He pricked himself on something and mouthed a silent curse word before spinning toward me.

‘Yessir.’ He saluted once before continuing realistically, his vice almost sarcastic. ‘No, Nazza, not really.’ He tossed his fingers over the table ahead of him.

‘So much more hair is needed for a wig than a live person. I’ve run out and we only have half done. It would looks terrible with plastic substitute now that we have the real human brown hair. It’s not like a second Oskar is around to cause us trouble.’

I rubbed my chin, humming in a thoughtful agreement. “Maybe. Anyway, Hutcheon wants you to get down there and draw something for him.” Swanson moaned.

‘I’m already doing this, one thing after another. You know, Darany can draw. He draws all those comics and those manga things. Go send him to Hutcheon instead. I still have to finish off here.’

“Fine. He wanted to talk to Darany anyway. Where is he?”

Daniel thumbed behind him to the main room of the shop. I followed through.

Chen, Beauregard and Darany were standing inquisitively around the long freezer, which had been dragged from it’s place against the wall. Shane seemed stressed while Nathaneil seemed far more occupied with trying to balance a fork on his fingertip. That was the last fork left. The rest of them had been completely impaled in the foam heads on the walls. Darany was once again patient and silent, awaiting instruction.

“Dara, head down. Hutcheon wants to see you and wants some help with drawing something.” I commanded. Darany, clearly eager to escape the task, dropped down the step ladder quickly. Shane moaned.

‘Oh great. Now that’s even one less person to help move this mother- Nazza, help me out here.’

My eyes flicked from the freezer to Shane’s face. I rubbed my temples.

“I can’t. I have a migraine. Can barely think.”

Shane swore aloud, kicking the base of the freezer with his toe.

‘Well damn, I can’t move this thing alone.’ He gestured to Beauregard. ‘This kid here could barely lift a brick.’

I left Shane babbling. I wasn’t kidding about the headache. In the past minute it had suddenly increased, pushing against my skull and trying to squeeze it’s way out of my eye sockets and mouth. I stumbled out of the sanctuary. I would give my apologies for my early departure tomorrow.

I don’t know how I arrived home, but I eventually did. I had kept my eyes firmly closed most of the way home, groping in the darkness between blinking my surroundings into life. I heard my parent call, but I ignored, scurrying up to the bathroom. I felt sick. So sick. My head was pushing on my brain. I wretched toward the sink, but nothing came out.

I downed the pills quickly; simple painkillers, nothing more. I took double the recommended dose, four caplets. It was a one off, it wouldn’t hurt. I found myself in the shower, the water hot enough to try and take my focus off my throbbing head. But the migraine had pulled my away enough already; my thoughts were not on reality, and even the sharp pricks of hot water couldn’t draw me back. It wasn’t until two hours later, and my mother slamming on the door about wasting water, that I finally awoke. As I sat up from my sprawled position in the running puddle my head swung. Swimming across oceans, drowning, suffocating.

I shut off the water, but continued to sit, shivering against the tiles.

Help me. Help me.

The pain felt like death. I felt like dying. My mind was not part of this godforsaken body. Why should I be left for dead when so many other useless people were our there in paradise; achieving nothing, doing nothing. Or even causing trouble. Why don’t they die instead?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
131 Reviews


Points: 11451
Reviews: 131

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:18 pm
MaryEvans wrote a review...



I like the opening. Very visual. Good hook.

Look over your use of past perfect and make sure you can’t use simple instead. Also vary your sentences. You start with “I” a lot. See if you can’t rephrase some of those.

I picked up the construction pencil which was now at my feet and held it out to him. He made no move to recover it, and kept his distance.

Two issues here. First, he picked up the pencil that was now at his feet. He picked it up, then it was at his feet. See how the sentence sets the order? Go with something like: “I bent to pick the pencil and then held it out for him.” Just avoid the ‘now.’ And second. He made no attempt to recover it, therefore he didn’t move, therefore he kept his distance so the second part of the sentence is implied in the first and is thus unnecessary.
Read dialogue outloud and make sure it sounds natural in speech.

I continued, speaking slowly.

I continued slowly. It is clear that he is speaking since this is a dialogue tag. It doesn’t happen often but you sometimes use more words than necessary. Just keep it in mind when you revise.

Your prose is good, but it doesn’t flow too well sometimes. The sentences, by themselves, are mostly ok it’s just how they are fitted together that is choppy sometimes. I don’t really have any answer to this. One thing is read out loud. It helps catch where the narration stumbles. And another thing is read and write a little bit every day. With time flow becomes automatic.

Else is good. Moves on well. See if you need every piece of dialogue and whether things can be said more briefly. So then, nice job, keep up the good work.




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:43 am
erilea says...



Great! But I don't understand the man concept. Are they creating a man? One word to define: what does prominent mean? And my fav part:
Chen, Beauregard and Darany were standing inquisitively around the long freezer, which had been dragged from it’s place against the wall. Shane seemed stressed while Nathaneil seemed far more occupied with trying to balance a fork on his fingertip. That was the last fork left. The rest of them had been completely impaled in the foam heads on the walls.
First, Chen is my last name, second, Beauregard is the last name of someone in my favorite book, third, the fork thing was funny. Focus on telling, but just a teeny bit. Remember, Mission: Main Concept. I might follow you!




User avatar
200 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 200

Donate
Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 am
EmeraldEyes wrote a review...



Hey.

I can't say why, but the opening line here struck me as funny:

Sir’s eyes were black and hollow, but his new bones were so much more prominent.
There isn't anything funny about it, apart from the fact it was just oh-so blunt. I like it.

This work is segmented more so than usual:

I picked up the construction pencil which was now at my feet and held it out to him. He made no move to recover it, and kept his distance.
You have a sentence like this, then a little bit of dialogue then another sentence like this... I feel there is description lacking here apart from what you have about the actions of the characters.

I didn't understand why they were in slashes either:?
/Help me. Help me./


Hmmm. Ooh maybe they were supposed to be question marks because they're the same key. Anyways...

The pain felt like death. I felt like /dying/. My mind was not part of this godforsaken body. Why should I be left for dead when so many other useless people were our there in paradise; achieving nothing, doing nothing. Or even causing trouble. Why don’t they /die/ instead?


Also, this is a really miserable ending to finish on for a chapter. I know people generally die in your work but this weird suicide is just... *shivers* I suppose this is horror. So well done on the creepy element.

Keep writing!




Blackwood says...


Ohhhh My bad. The slashes were there to remind me where to put italics but I forgot to replace them with italics. Will do that now.



EmeraldEyes says...


Ha ha. Ok. XD




You're wrong about humanity. They are your greatest creation because they're better than you are. Sure, they're weak, and they cheat and steal and destroy and disappoint, but they also give and create, and they sing and dance and love. Above all, they never give up.
— Metatron