Golden Lies - Chapter 1

by ExOmelas

A/N: This is the first chapter of my novel for camp NaNo. I'm not sure about the pacing and I think some parts might need a little more description. Anyone who can zone in on where these areas are - or other areas of improvement - will be greatly appreciated. And I will pay full attention to your suggestions after the month is over because it's NaNo and I have to keep going.

Also, I have already received a comment that Henry is too toxic. We have discussed it and come up with a solution. Please do judge him harshly, but judge me harsher for writing him so poisonous. I will make changes as soon as I have reached the word goal for the month. This is essentially a disclaimer.

I have now edited the exchange between Lorna and Henry. I hope that Henry seems a little less evil now. If he does still seem like too much of a sociopath, please let me know because that is not who he was supposed to be.

Lorna's father took her mother's hand, Olven took Claren's and before Lorna could sigh despondently at her position as fifth wheel, the forms of her family were trotting onto the dance floor. When Lorna's father had engaged Olven – Lorna's brother – to Claren Osinti, Lorna had hesitantly hoped that her time would come soon. She had been training as a wife since the age of five and was desperate to put her immaculately polished skills into practice at the side of her husband.

It would seem, however, that her father's quest to find her ideal match could not be rushed. Lorna understood his desire to further the family's standing; she just wished – and wished fervently, every day, with every molecule of her being – that he would hurry up with it. It was not easy being at a party to celebrate the wedding of her province's prince when all she could think about was when it would finally be her turn.

She pecked delicately at one of the cheese sandwiches from the rack on their table. The cheddar was far too bitter. Lorna almost gagged from the stench of it and she could feel her face contort into a pucker of disgust. Cheese was repugnant. Still, it was less repugnant than the image she had in her head of herself gorging on the slice of chocolate cake lying on Olven's plate. To distract herself from the temptation of the sweet, moist glory of a chocolate cake – and from the loneliness she felt every time she glanced over at the perfect lines of dancing couples – Lorna raised a glass of fizzy orange juice to her mouth and lost herself in its bubbling depths.

Consequently, it was with a horrific snort that Lorna responded to the tap on her shoulder. The liquid slipped down her windpipe and she was infuriated to find racking coughs tearing through her diaphragm. She had to get this under control – now. She must have sounded like a hippopotamus with the hiccups.

The coughing was winding to a stop when Lorna recoiled from a heavy slap to her back that propelled her forward almost into the juice. Was she being punished? Was this her father's way of ensuring she never made such a mistake again? That didn't seem like him. She tried to gleam an inkling of what was going on but her awareness was spinning like a hurricane and she could barely keep her eyes open as the hand thumped once again into her back.

Eventually, mercifully, the slapping reached its crescendo with one final, spine-shuddering thwack, and juice shot from Lorna's mouth like she was the faucet of a water fountain. Her entire ribcage seemed to be jangling as she heaved breaths in and out. In-out-in-out. In out. In out. In. Out. In. Out.

“Are you okay?” asked an amused voice from behind her head. As if she hadn't just simultaneously made herself undesirable to every male in the room – every male in a five mile radius – and almost died.

“I am fine, sir,” she replied.

The owner of the hand yanked a chair out from her table and plonked himself onto it. He was lanky and seemed to drape himself over the backrest and the cushioned seat. Yet, he was not monstrously tall, so he didn't quite dwarf it. Lorna got the feeling he might have liked to be able to dwarf things. He wore a loose blue linen shirt so his arms were barely visible but something about the way his head never wavered from its level angle suggested he was strong and in control of most of his surroundings.

“Oh, please, nobody's called me 'sir' in a long time.” He waved her term of respect effortlessly away but his expression was pained. Lorna wondered nervously why it was that he no longer expected to be referred to as 'sir'.

“Well, thank you – for that,” Lorna mumbled, torn between returning to the drink that had got her into this mess in the first place and leaving herself open to continued conversation with him.

“What?” he exclaimed, feigning modesty. Then, abandoning the pretence, he swung to the opposite extreme and continued mock-arrogantly, “Saving your life, you mean?”

“Yes, um, that.” Lorna nodded. She inwardly chastised herself for such halting speech. “Thank you very much for that.”

He was just so loud. It was as if his being was pressing in around her, suffocating her ability to think. Everything that had been hammered into her about how to conduct herself was being squashed by him. She was floundering.

“So have you been abandoned too?” he continued. Why was he still talking? Why wouldn't he just leave? She was hardly riveting company, what with her 'um's and her 'Well's.

“My parents and my brother and his fiancée went up to dance,” Lorna explained.

“My aunt and uncle went up too,” he said. He peered into the corners of the room and explained, “My cousins are probably running around pretending to be mighty warriors in the service of the Prestelfian Prince.”

“Hey, um, would you like to dance?” he mumbled.

Lorna glanced at the dance floor. The figures pacing and heel-toeing and twirling on it looked like they were separated into two units. One unit stepped one way; the other stepped the other way. Then they joined and spun round as one. Lorna had never felt more alone, or unsure of herself. While Olven followed the steps set down by centuries of tradition, Lorna fond herself ransacking her brain for a response. What harm could it do to dance with him? Maybe it would shut him up.

Lorna groaned silently and placed her hand as lightly as she could on Henry's. He clasped his fingers around it and brought it down to the space between them. Swinging the fist they had made together backwards and forwards, he led her forwards at a quick stride to join the dance. Henry draped his right arm over her shoulders and she brought her had up to meet it. Their left hands joined just in front of Henry's left hip. Lorna took a deep breath, quickly ran through the steps in her head, then relaxed into the orderly routine of the dance.

He could not have been a more infuriating dancer. The steps, which Lorna had learned when she was six went: heel, toe, heel, two, step two, three, four, turn – repeat four times. Spin, two, three, four. Waltz, two, three, four. Henry seemed to think that it was excusable to pick and choose between steps as if they were the snacks laid out at his table. Lorna did her best to dissolve into the chirping of the fiddle and the bleating of the accordion but even her most heartfelt efforts were in vain. Henry would add in an extra hop and throw her rhythm completely off.

She couldn't exactly speak up. Clearly, her father was hoping to pair her off to him, no matter his blatant disregard for choreography that had been upheld for hundreds of years. She wasn't about to ruin that for him.

“You're annoyed that I won't conform to the routine I'm supposed to do, aren't you?” Henry whispered. There he went again. Would he never stop provoking her? What had she done to deserve somebody so impossible?

“It had crossed my mind,” Lorna admitted.

Henry was silent for a few moments before, after a quick swivel to switch directions, he explained, “I don't like that some guy a millennium ago gets to decide how I dance. I mean, think about what people did to each other a thousand years ago – or even five hundred. Lynching. Raising demons for revenge. Cannibalism. Do you really want to follow in the footsteps of someone from that age?”

“This dance was choreographed by Julopia Herythan three hundred and fifty-one years ago. She was at the forefront of protests against magic and the right of women to opt out of an arranged marriage.” Lorna rhymed the excerpt off as if 'Ceilidhs Through the Ages' by Poter Kilmen was floating six inches in front of her eyes. “Two rather unrelated causes, yes, but both about as progressive as you're likely to get.”

Henry, rather than seeming rebuffed and meekly adhering to Herythan's steps, grinned eagerly at Lorna and swooshed a leg out in front of him.

“Then, clearly, she's a fan of people taking matters into their own hands – of evolution.” Henry turned to face Lorna and winked at her. Lorna's jaw clenched but she willed her smile not to waver. Her father had impressed on her for as long as she could remember the importance of never wavering. She would not let down her father.

As the accordion blared out its final, rejoicing note, Henry bowed deeply to Lorna. Lorna curtsied and was grateful that at least this little detail of the routine had not been disregarded as neglectfully as the rest of the dance.

Two children – a little red-headed boy and a brunette of roughly the same age, who were presumably Henry's cousins – darted towards him as they approached the tables. Lorna realised a little belatedly that the boy was in fact chasing the girl. The girl tore past them and yanked on Henry's shirt, dragging herself into position behind him. The boy shrugged and raised a hand to Henry.

Tapping Henry's arm, he piped, “Tig!” and sprinted off back towards the tables.

Henry twisted around to stare stonily at the girl.

“I take it you understand the position you're in?” he asked gleefully.

The little girl gulped and nodded.

“Tig!” Henry exclaimed, patting her on the head. “Now go get your brother!”

The girl nodded seriously and darted off to her right where the little boy had been trying to sneak out the door of the main hall. Henry smiled at Lorna and winked again.

They returned to a still empty table, as clearly the rest of their families had more stamina – or patience – and were staying up for another dance. Lorna sighed, but supposed that Henry's bluntness at first may have had something to do with the fact that he was at the time plucking up the courage to ask her to dance.

“Does your head not hurt?” Henry tilted his own head to the side and directed his gaze around past her ears. Her lemon-blonde hair was strained into a sever bun that stood solidly on the ridge of her skull. Truthfully, her head was vaguely in a shadow of agony that she'd long since grown used to – but she wasn't about to let him make her admit to being uncomfortable.

“I am fine,” she replied, “This is the best way for my hair to be kept out of the road.”

Henry raised his eyebrows – which were a deep, chocolatey brown like his hair. Still, he merely shrugged and reached over to the table behind them. In the brief interval of three seconds before he had righted himself, Lorna did her best to absorb the regular beat of the music and try to restore some rhythm to the conversation.

He returned with a fairy cake in his left hand and wrenched a deep bite out of it. He chewed rapidly and swallowed eagerly, like a dog that has just finished chasing a stick being rewarded with a treat. Why did he have to ask such random questions and ramble on about cousins? Why couldn't he talk about something normal, like the weather, or the week's news?

“That's my table,” he explained, once his mouth was clear of cake, “I'm not just stealing someone's food.”

Had he thought that would be what she assumed? Had he been unsure of himself? Lorna had not thought him capable of such doubts. Did he actually realise that he wasn't in fact the most perfect specimen of man to ever walk on the planet of Tayfir?

“I think your hair would look nice down,” he noted, as if his opinion was of even the slightest interest to her, “It might help you relax.”

“I'm perfectly relaxed as I am!” Lorna snapped, then berated herself silently but viciously for letting her anger out.

Henry looked genuinely shocked for a moment, then he leaned back in mock-surrender and was silent. No apology, just silence. Well, at least that was something. A few times in the ensuing blanket of awkwardness, he looked as if he was about to try to continue but he seemed at a loss for words. Maybe he'd used them all up as he'd asked her to dance, if that was even what all that had been for.

Luckily, it was just then that the song finished and the rest of the Delkin family returned to the table. She glanced up from the table to realise that Henry had stood up and was shaking hands with her father.

No. Oh, no.

“Saulus Delkin.” Her father smiled eagerly as he jangled Henry's wrist up and down. Lorna knew that face. That was her father's analysing-the-prospects face. Whenever Saulus was about to attempt a negotiation for Lorna's hand, he got that studious, cunning grin that made Lorna certain he was about to perform an epic magic trick involving fire and doves.

“Henry Franklin,” Henry returned. His features had gone soft and Lorna could no longer picture him taunting her as he had moments before, trying anything to shatter her composure. At Henry's name, Saulus' eyes bugged out of their sockets and his entire form tensed. He seemed to shrug off his surprise and grudgingly let go of Henry's hand.

The rest of Lorna's family had littered themselves around the two men and they parted as Henry made to return to his own table. A man and woman, presumably his uncle and aunt, had just returned to the table and were watching with a muted blend of curiosity and bemusement as Henry tried to extricate himself from the circle of Delkins.

Just as he rounded the corner of his own table, Saulus called out to him over the music that was just starting up again. “Henry, why not take Lorna up? You must be itching to get onto the floor, and Lorna knows her way around a ceilidh.”

Henry levelled his gaze straight into Lorna's eyes and she could see a pendulum lunging back and forth in his brain as he tried to make a decision.

Eventually, the announced, “We've actually already been up,”

Lorna wondered if he was trying to spare her the agony of dancing with him again, if he'd finally understood how gangly and uncomfortable it had made her. She wasn't grateful exactly, perhaps a little relieved that he was human.

Lorna was saved from having to figure out the situation by Henry's uncle approaching from around the side of his table.

“Hello, Lorna. I'm Kerypin, Henry's uncle,” he said. He bowed slightly and Lorna curtsied in acknowledgement. He was a short man, with about as little hair left as is possible without declaring yourself bald.

“Nice to meet –”

Lorna was abruptly cut off by the sound of what one could only presume was an elephant sneezing. As one, their heads whipped around to face the sound, which had come from Henry's family's table. A boy, slightly older than the one currently either chasing or being chased by his sister, was leaning against Henry's aunt, his head lolling on her shoulder. Kerypin shot over to his son as if he'd been magnetised and Henry shot Lorna the first serious look she'd seen on his face all night.

Everyone – including all of Lorna's family and the table on the other side of Henry's – had their eyes fixed on the child as if their gazes had been welded onto his slight figure. His legs shot out and his torso curled with the force of a whooping cough. Lorna glanced at Henry only to realise he wasn't there and had actually flown to the side of his cousin. She wondered if he would slam his hand into the child's back as he had done for her when she'd choked on her juice. Instead, he exchanged a few words with his aunt, who nodded and wiped away from tears.

Lorna understood the terror and paralysis of everyone around the child. Nobody on the planet hadn't heard of the plague that had been roaming the Lekionese kingdom of Roganel. The Arctic land mass had been quarantined for roughly a fortnight now. How could it possibly get to Coupale? Nobody had any idea how it could happen but everybody seemed fairly confident that every cough or splutter meant that it had.

Lorna crossed the floor to stand with her brother, who smiled sadly at her, then turned his face straight back to Henry's cousin. After a few more moments, the coughing wore off a little and the child was able to reign them in. Henry clapped him on the shoulder in an acknowledgement that he'd done well, then cast his eyes around. They landed on Lorna and he beckoned her over with a soft gesture. Lorna obeyed and trotted around the table to stand at Henry's side.

“They're going to take him home,” Henry explained, “But I'm going to stick around because my aunt Marilt says your father has something to talk to us about. I take it you don't need an explanation of what that's about.”

Henry rolled his eyes conspiratorially at her but Lorna refused to be drawn in. He would never make her say a bad word against her father. She knew very well what was coming and she could hope that she was wrong but if Henry was right and Saulus proposed a pairing of the two of them, then Lorna would follow exactly what her father wanted of her. She wouldn't let him down. She would perform her duty.

Some colour was beginning to be restored to the boy's cheeks as he was laid over his uncle's shoulder. A few straggling coughs floated out of him as his ribs knocked against Kerypin's shoulder-blade. For the most part, though, there was mutual understanding both that he would be okay but that he would be put to bed within half an hour. Henry watched him go anxiously with a steep 'V' of a frown creasing his brow.

It took Saulus at most three quarters of the second after Kerypin crossed the threshold for him to whirl on Henry and Lorna. Lorna was impressed by how flexibly Henry's brow sprang back out of the frown and his lips quirked upwards instead. Saulus, his face tanned and his cropped hair only a few shades away from being exactly the same colour, strode determinedly toward Henry. Lorna's father was on a mission – and not even the chairs he clattered into on the way there would thwart him.

“Mr Franklin,” he spluttered, “Would you mind if we had a little discussion, in private?”

Henry jerked back slightly in surprise, his hair flapping against his forehead. When he spoke, his voice wore a shadow of incredulity. “You and Lorna?”

Saulus' narrowing eyes suggested he wanted to frown but was restraining himself. Lorna had always admired his self-control. She had tried to emulate him all her childhood and it had only been recently, at fifteen, that she believed she'd finally managed to replicate his efforts.

“No, you and I, Mr Franklin,” he explained.

A chuckle seeped out of Henry, then he abruptly barred the way to a follow up by crossing his arms and knitting his brows.

“As you wish,” he muttered.

Lorna felt a twinge of momentary curiosity and wondered what would take place between them. She knew roughly what the result would be but she would never know how they reached it. Not that it really mattered, she wouldn't have understood a word of it.

As he led the young Mr Franklin at a determined stride down the hallway, Saulus could feel the frantic nagging of his heart, smashing against his ribs and demanding that he didn't mess this up. He had finally found him, the perfect match. It had taken him fifteen years, but he had finally found the ideal husband for Lorna. He was more well-off than Saulus could ever have hoped for, yet he could barely ask for much more than Saulus could offer. Saulus didn't quite understand the details, but whatever Mr Franklin's father, Rolan Franklin, had done to deserve such a loss in his reputation, the stories always included eleven disgraced duchesses and a few 'runaway' carriages.

It had, of course, occurred to Saulus that there was a high chance that the younger Mr Fraklin would inherit some of his father's worse qualities – but he was willing to take that risk. If he didn't take this chance, he would never get another so perfect. If his daughter married this – admittedly rather distant and slightly confusing – man, then he would be the father-in-law of a man of one of the upper households. He would no longer be the son of a smuggler, the merchant son of a smuggler who could never compare to his father's reputation. He had to make this settlement. Nothing Mr Franklin asked for would be too much. There was nothing he wouldn't find a way to supply him with.

The music of the dance retreated out of hearing as they paced further along the corridor, towards a glossy white door that had been set a few inches into the rust-coloured walls. Saulus oppressed his shuddering breathing and reached for the brass doorknob in front of him.

“The event organiser, Mr Poleder, informed me that this room would be available for a few hours,” Saulus explained, swinging the door inwards for Mr Franklin. “That should be plenty of time.”

Mr Franklin nodded and followed him inside. He moved at a lumbering pace, as if every step he took didn't quite pain him – just bothered him. The young man's expression was that of, well, a young man. He was brooding, sulky and everything else you associate with an eighteen-year-old. Saulus hoped he was responsible enough to handle these proceedings. Kerypin had assured him that his nephew could handle it, that he was very mature. Saulus was not sure that he totally agreed but it mattered so little that he barely even registered he was thinking such thoughts.

He took a deep breath and presented his first offer.

“Henry Franklin!” Saulus boomed, “Given your position, do you really think you have the leverage to make such a demand?”

Saulus sprang from his chair and leaned over Henry as menacingly as he could. He didn't know what Henry was playing at, but he certainly could not take anything seriously, not even slightly. Since Saulus' first offer, Henry hadn't ceased his outrageous demands and ridiculous terms. They both knew he wasn't seriously asking for three mansions and a herd of elephants but it was as if Henry was on a mission to mock everything Saulus knew about marital negotiations.

“Funny that,” Henry mused, “I thought my position was 'sir'.”

“Oh, please!” Saulus spat, “Not even Lorna called you that and we both know it.”

“Fine, I'll concede the third mansion.” Henry rolled his eyes. “But I really don't appreciate you cheaping out on the elephants.”

“Cheaping … out … elephants!” Saulus howled. Saulus hung his head and started counting under his breath. He had to bring himself under control and soon, otherwise Lorna would never forgive him, nor he himself.

Saulus heard Henry sigh and mutter something at himself. Was he berating himself? Had he not intended to wind Saulus up this tight? Saulus very much doubted that. The man was such a genius at it that it had to have been achieved through practice.

“Saulus,” Henry murmured eventually, “I'm not trying to … I just wanted to … Well, tell me this – what do you think your daughter is worth? Honestly, if you had to put a price on her. How much?”

Saulus pictured the face of his daughter: her lemon-blonde hair that always squeezed itself perfectly into position; her pale skin the shade of an angel; her slight figure that appeared frail but you just knew she could use it defend herself from anyone. She was loyal, faithful and furiously determined. She knew how she wanted to live her life and it was just Saulus' good luck that this was also the way he had hoped she would choose to live.

How in the world could he put a price on her?

“My daughter is worth more elephants and mansions than you or I will ever own,” Saulus replied gently, “She is worth more money than ever can exist. You cannot put a price on perfection.”

Saulus swivelled raised his head to face Henry, whose lips had thinned into a tight grimace.

“Why, Henry?” Saulus muttered, “You know that that has no bearing on what we are doing here.”

Henry's ensuing silence was unbearable. Saulus could almost feel the confusion and the frustration seeping from him. He wanted to help, sort of. But how could he do that if Henry didn't even explain the problem?

“Henry, if you just tell me –”

“My family will find us a place to live with our connections. We will take my aunt and uncle's name, rather than my own – for obvious reasons. You will pay for two fifths of the house, which, given that it is only for the two of us, will likely be rather modest. Lorna will accompany me on any missions that Security Command assigns me – don't worry, I don't see much conflict,” Henry added, on seeing Saulus' right index finger shoot up in objection. “The wedding should be before my next mission, in four months. And finally, most importantly, Lorna is not to be pestered about the marriage – about how well she is satisfying her duties.

“Do we have a deal?”

Saulus frowned. From the tension on Henry's face, he was definitely not happy with the deal. The deal itself was possibly as fair as Saulus could have hoped for. He just wished that Henry hadn't looked as if he despised every word out of his mouth as he said it. Saulus extended a wary hand and slipped it into Henry's.

“That is the most reasonable marriage settlement I've ever heard,” Saulus remarked, “Especially for a groom who only met the bride an hour ago. But, why all the elephants?”

Henry shrugged. “I was trying to make a point. Never mind. It doesn't matter.”

It clearly did but Saulus wasn't about to jeopardise the settlement of his life by pushing him further. The young man's face was a perfect representation of the fury and righteousness that Saulus had himself felt at that age. He just hoped Henry was less prone to ranting and raving at the skies than he had been.

“So, a deal then,” Saulus agreed, pumping Henry's hand in one single but pronounced motion.

Before he could pull away, Henry asked, “And an elephant?”

Saulus merely chuckled and withdrew his hand. Whatever he had seen of Henry's vexation, it was gone now. Henry had slid up a perfect mask of charm and Saulus doubted he would see beneath it for a long time. Perhaps Lorna would find a way to tear it off. It was nice to look at, yes, but Saulus worried about what the mask could conceal if it was left alone.

When Saulus and Henry emerged from the room to deliver the verdict of the settlement and to seek Lorna's approval of the match, Lorna agreed eagerly, with a serious glance at her father to show he could count on her to be a good wife. She was still puzzled as to why Henry had agreed to marry so far below his stature – but she wouldn't dream of complaining. Her father had finally snatched her perfect match and now she could put her training into practice.

She waited until the walk home to put her confusion to her father.

“Father, why did he agree to marry so far below his position on the social ladder?” Lorna asked suddenly. She had waited for the first window of silence in the excited chatter about a double wedding that was apparently being planned for the Delkin children. With her father's silence, Lorna presumed that the best route forward was to continue. “I mean, he barely knows me – so it's not as if he's throwing away his future for love, like the Lords do in novels when they marry one of the ladies in waiting of their late wife.”

Saulus' infuriating silence continued for a few moments. He halted as soon as they had all crossed a busy road full of rickety carts trundling down the lumpy cobblestones. Turning to face her directly, Saulus placed a gentle hand on Lorna's shoulder.

“Lorna, you know that Henry doesn't have much of a future to look forward to, or anything special to offer you. His aunt and uncle have four children and a big mortgage. He won't be getting a great deal from them any time soon. And I'm sure you also know why he's living with them in the first place.” Saulus was squirming back and forth with the touchiness of the subject. “What his father has done.”

Lorna was shocked that he had even thought to bring this up. Rumours ran rampant from the far west of Prestelf, right through to the most southern tip of the Rile Peninsula in Kiolmen. Saulus had never been one to believe anything he heard from any of the neighbours, without first-hand evidence. He would never bring up such talk unless he wholeheartedly believed every word of it. But it couldn't possibly be true, could it? Eleven duchesses! Lorna had no idea there were even that many duchies in Kiolmen, never mind eleven who were gloomy or bored enough to be seduced by Rolan Franklin.

Finally, Lorna managed to choke out, “You mean … Rolan actually …?”

“Why else would Henry stoop so low on the social ladder?” Saulus smiled grimly. He then tightened his grip on Lorna's shoulder and tightened the tension in his voice. “I promise you this, though. I am not marrying you off to the son of a sociopathic serial serial adulterer. I am marrying you to the son of a dedicated mother and the brother of two of the sweetest twin sisters you will ever come across – although admittedly his twenty-year-old brother is fast becoming a drunk, by the sounds of what his uncle was telling me. I know you didn't want your marriage to be born out of circumstances such as this but I know you can do amazing things with it. I believe in you.”

Lorna smiled meekly and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. Over his shoulder, she saw Olven standing behind Claren, his arms wrapped around his waist. They had gotten engaged mostly for love, Lorna observed. It had just been luck that the marriage proved fortuitous for both sides. She wondered what they would do with their marriage.

As she and her father slid apart, Lorna squeezed herself into a serious mindset and nodded gravely.

“I promise, father, I will not let you down.”

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:39 am
Squall wrote a review...

Hey there.

Lorna's father took her mother's hand, Olven took Claren's and before Lorna could sigh despondently at her position as fifth wheel, the forms of her family were trotting onto the dance floor.

The way you've worded this sounds awfully wrong in my head. I'm getting this image of them all linking hands and dancing like muppets on the dance floor, which is really awkward.

She had been training as a wife since the age of five and was desperate to put her immaculately polished skills into practice at the side of her husband.

Trained to be a wife just at the age of five? The funny thing is though, people don't need training to be a parent, it's just one of those responsibilities that you have to adopt when two people plan to have a child and are committed into raising him/her to be a member of society. So this leaves one very foul image in my mind, and that is she must learn to be submissive at the age of five, and already I don't like where this story is going.

Lorna understood his desire to further the family's standing; she just wished – and wished fervently, every day, with every molecule of her being – that he would hurry up with it. It was not easy being at a party to celebrate the wedding of her province's prince when all she could think about was when it would finally be her turn.

Hmm. I'm going to jump the gun here, but if Lorna is your protagonist, I don't think she makes a good one. Just from the opening sentences, she sounds like a really submissive person, and only reacts to how the plot wants her to react. So as a result, the reader would more much more interested in the events which she is tied to rather than the actual character itself. I think it's quite a big risk to have a story that is more plot + side character driven, because very few readers would be able to get behind such a submissive protagonist, and your protagonist should be one of the major driving forces of your plot. I'll hold my thoughts for now and keep reading.

That's quite an interesting point he brought up. Hmm.

Just a nit pick, but I don't like how excessively you use rhetorical questions/ commentary of her thoughts. It should be used sparingly and to stress emphasis at the right moment. The way I'm reading it now, it's like he experiences something new about Henry, and criticizes it in her thoughts, then something else happens and she has to critique that in her mind, and so forth. It feels really formulaic and stale after a while. It would be better if you let the story flowed and let her patience slowly wear thin.

No apology, just silence. Well, at least that was something. A few times in the ensuing blanket of awkwardness, he looked as if he was about to try to continue but he seemed at a loss for words. Maybe he'd used them all up as he'd asked her to dance, if that was even what all that had been for.

Yea see, you are doing it again. We get what's happening, there is no need for further commentary on it. It's like I'm trying to read a book, but a commentator is right beside me having a recap of very thing that happened.

And again here. I would go as far to say that sometimes these commentaries break the show vs tell rule since some of these subtle facts seem to be spoon fed to us. A lot of it is also redundant I feel, and bogs your writing down with needless words.

When Saulus and Henry emerged from the room to deliver the verdict of the settlement and to seek Lorna's approval of the match, Lorna agreed eagerly, with a serious glance at her father to show he could count on her to be a good wife.

Ha! I find this quite ironic for two reasons. 1. Lorna detested the way ungentlemanly way Henry was treating her, then all of a sudden she put up no resistance in agreeing to marry Henry? Then what's the point of showing her increasing frustration at Henry's advances and mannerisms?

And 2.

“This dance was choreographed by Julopia Herythan three hundred and fifty-one years ago. She was at the forefront of protests against magic and the right of women to opt out of an arranged marriage.” Lorna rhymed the excerpt off as if 'Ceilidhs Through the Ages' by Poter Kilmen was floating six inches in front of her eyes.

By opt out of an arranged marriage, do you mean when a woman is already in an arranged marriage, then she has the right to end the marriage if she so chooses? Otherwise, it'll make her look like a hypocrite, having recited that, but agreeing to an arranged marriage like a blind sheep.

Overall impressions:

So on the whole, this was pretty interesting to read, and it had me thinking about some of the themes that you've presented in here. You have a pretty nice flow in your writing style, and I can see the kind of tone and voice that you're aiming for. I do have a few problems however.

So I've already mentioned this above, but I find your narration to be quite excessive in places. You tend to 'tell' a lot about what the character is thinking, rather than let the reader deduce as to what Lorna is thinking. You also unnecessarily have some post-commentary after something has happened. You've done a pretty good job establishing and showing what's happening, you don't need all that padding to further enforce it :)

Let's talk a bit about Lorna now. After reading the entire chapter, I still stand by my original statement (but to a certain degree) that you're taking a risk by making Lorna, a submissive character be your protagonist. However, this does have potential to turn out to be an interesting character if you can do it right. You made the correct move by making Lorna abhor to Henry's unconventional ways to court woman. It does a good job in giving her some character, in that she is a conservative woman that doesn't like change, and likes to follow conventions and etiquette. I'm actually interested to see how she and Henry would interact in the future, consider Henry is in some ways her polar opposite.

I was actually under that impression that you've written Lorna to be this person who has to blindly be submissive to any man that courts, in which case, she wouldn't be considered a character at all, but rather a puppet. So I was glad it didn't turn out that way. I did however had problems when her Father wanted her to marry Henry. All of a sudden, she has a change of heart and has no qualms with the arrangement, after she spent a good portion of this chapter passively trying to hint at Henry that she doesn't appreciate his advances, and even angrily shouting at him at one point to pretty much back away. Is there some double standard that I'm not seeing? Does she have to be obey her Father's wishes without question? I think it contradicts what character development she was given in this chapter to not have much of an objection to this whole matter.

And with arranged marriages, isn't there formal procedures and paper work which both sides of the party need to follow? Shouldn't the Father and daughter have more of a longer, serious discussion about this? I find this bit rushed, because they don't seem to be putting in much thought into something that requires some long and careful consideration.

Lastly, have you ever read the novel "Lolita"? When I was reading this, I was reminded of that. That novel also had a female protagonist whom was submissive, but of a different nature. The novel is pretty much about a girl in her teens whom enjoys being in weird relationships with men much older than she was. But what made her novel very intriguing to read was her character. She does some very unconventional things, and it's pretty interesting to learn about why she does these weird things and where it all comes from.

With Lorna, I fear that further down the road, her character might be bounded by the conventions of society themselves, because she herself seems to follow those conventions very closely. Continue with how you developed Lorna in this chapter. Focus on her likes and dislikes, as well as her opinion on things. Have Henry be one of the people that will help break her out of her shell more. I think she has potential to be an interesting character so long as she continues to grow as a character and not a puppet of society.

Anyways, I hope this review helped. Thanks for the read.
Andy

P.S: I also saw Rosey's review in regards to how Henry was used to be written. I'm glad to point out that I don't find him creepy anymore, because he knows when to not push things further, and knows when to call it quits. Yea, he's arrogant and overconfident, but at least he doesn't seem like one of those "creepy predators that you find in the bar" type of people.

ExOmelas says...

So I'm not going to finish reading this just now because it's a camp nano novel but Lorna is supposed to be very submissive. I wanted to make it very clear that she's flawed. She is obsessed with living 'properly' as her father has taught her. I'll read this whole thing later and see what I can do to alter your opinion.

Squall says...

You might actually want to read the entire review, coz I didn't necessarily say that a submissive character is bad per se, but I did bring up some other issues which might be of interest to you.

ExOmelas says...

ok, I will soon :)

ExOmelas says...

Right, I finished reading the review and thank you so much for your comments. I was very glad to realise that most of your points are things I can work on without changing the plot of the story. I'm going to leave the padding in for now until I reach the end of the novel and start editing. Lorna absolutely does everything her father tells her. It is one of the rules of society - and she sees society like a game to try to get right. I will definitely put in more of a process. In the next chapter they go out to dinner so I could have that as a tester night and then Lorna agrees to go through with it - to make her father happy because (a) she loves him and (b) she believes it is a rule she must follow to obey her father's wishes.

I'd like to explain the point of the story a little. Henry is such a severe character because I wanted to show that the way he lives - constantly questioning everything and flaunting convention - is also not ideal. By the end of the novel, they both will realise that there isn't a correct way to live and you just have to figure out what to do in each situation by yourself.

Thank you for your help :)

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:12 am
Renard wrote a review...

Ah ha!
You have been busy.
And this is certainly a very LONG chapter.
Firstly:

Love the ending: “I promise, father, I will not let you down.” always a good choice because we are never sure if the promise will be kept.

Secondly:

Love the beginning: "Lorna's father took her mother's hand, Olven took Claren's and before Lorna could sigh despondently at her position as fifth wheel, the forms of her family were trotting onto the dance floor." because it's so deliciously complex.

Thirdly:

Found the chapter WAY TOO LONG! Maybe break it in two? XD

Fourthly:

You have a really interesting relationship between the characters, especially with Lorna and Henry, that doesn't really make sense.

Henry was silent for a moment, considering his words, Lorna presumed. Then, he explained, “I don't expect her to understand it – no offence, Lorna. I expect her to be allowed to hear it.”

Are they friends? Are they not? It seems impossible to tell XD

Anyways, still an interesting read. Keep writing. :D

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:12 pm
Rosendorn wrote a review...

Hello.

Okay. I stopped reading this as soon as Henry started standing up for Lorna. For one reason:

Henry matches the profile of several men who've harassed me personally. Namely, he flat out refused to take any signs that the person was not interested. He played emotional games with Lorna, meant to get her to agree with him, meant to prey on her.

He's toxic and shows every red flag I have for being an emotional abuser.

Then you give him redeeming qualities and make him appear to be a kind, caring man who will do his best by her by being "progressive" and wanting her to be involved in her own affairs.

Can you see what my problem with this is?

Abusers are charming, but they have their tells. Those tells are basically everything he did in the early conversation. He ignored body language. He ignored her warning signs. He played games with her. These are all behaviours that lead me to tell a girl "avoid this guy at all costs" because he will not be kind. He will be dangerous.

If you want to make him a sympathetic character who won't trip red flags, make him better at reading people. Make him respectful. There is a difference between being playful teasing that both parties enjoy and one person being made extremely uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable is a bad sign. A good person will stop teasing when a person is made uncomfortable. A bad person will continue because it amuses them, and in the case of your beginning, Henry continues despite Lorna's uncomfortableness.

This had promise, I will say that. I was actually interested in the idea of a protagonist who wants to be a wife, has been trained, does her duty. It's nice to see somebody actually take into account what these women were trained to do. However, as soon as Henry was introduced I kept sitting and waiting for a good guy to come in and chase him off. I was hoping this would play out like a bar scene, where the obvious creep hits on the quiet girl and a guy who's actually respectful comes in and sweeps her off her feet.

That didn't happen, and I was left squirming in my seat because Henry kept being painted more and more sympathetically. He is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a good man. He is being presented as a good man. This is downplaying the very real warning signs that women and girls, especially those who have been abused, are hypersensitive to.

Hope this helps. And I hope you either turn Henry into a villain, or remove all abusive behaviours.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey

ExOmelas says...

Okay, my problem here, is that I need Lorna to believe that Henry is being manipulative without him actually being so. Like, I need her to believe that because he doesn't go along with conventions, he is trying to break her confidence. I need the reader to realise that this is not the case. I need Henry to basically be the good guy that Lorna believes is just trying to annoy her. The point of him is that he never lies and never goes along with conventions he thinks are stupid. What I was trying to have him do here was try to get Lorna to admit that she would rather she could just be free from restraints.
I see him sort of like a religious fanatic. He is certain that his way - of transparency and freedom - is the right way and he is trying to manipulate Lorna into understanding him. I know, I know, I used the word manipulative. I don't know how to get around that. I need him to have good intentions but crappy execution.
Can you give me a hand?

Oh well isn't that a predicament. I can most certainly try to give you a hand!

I think the biggest red flag I have was that he didn't back off enough, and he started extremely strongly. He's got a very playful personality, but no control of it. A little control could go a long way.

I think that one major step in the right direction would be him verbally acknowledging his topics aren't working and trying different tactics. Maybe he plays along with her a bit, then he veers it off in a side direction, and it upsets her so he tries again.

The best conversation, I think, was him twisting around her perfectly recited lines into his own view. Because that's bantering with her, instead of speaking over her and tormenting.

One trope I'd know and play with is the Maniac Pixie Dream Girl, because you might end up writing a stork akin to that plot, only with a male pixie.

I like a lot of what you're trying to do. I will admit that. I like playing with perspective and I like a woman who wants to get married and I like rebels. It's just going to be tricky to stay away from toxic situations.

ExOmelas says...

The way I was going to navigate the last scene means Lorna wouldn't be present. It would therefore either have to be from Henry or Saulus' POV. Which do you think would work best?

ExOmelas says...

Also, I reread it and I really want to apologise to (a) anyone who's ever been in Lorna's position, which includes one of by very best friends and (b) Henry! I am so sorry Henry for writing you as such a sociopath. That is so not the life I intended for you.

The poetry of the earth is never dead.
— John Keats