Fatherless Daughter

by hesmiledatme

On this day I do not praise you

I’m not grateful for who you are

Because I don’t know you

Only what you’ve brought me

A life of tears

And empty laughter

Lonely nights of just wishing you were here

Wishing I knew who you were

Or why you never loved me.

lyssiekins wrote a review...

I like how you put this poem under "lyrical" because it is perfectly musical. The wording and the flow feels so sweeping.

I definitely feel this on a personal level, fathers and daughters can have troubled relationships. Its hard to think of what your missing and not wonder what could have been.

This poem I think deserved a bit more mystery than what you gave it, but in its simplicity your soul truly shines through which is the important part of writing. Keep at it!

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:07 am
Aley wrote a review...

Hey!

I'm here for a couple reasons, first, I keep seeing your reviews around the place that are all analytical. You get a lot more out of poems than I do. Second, I want to give you a review that can show you the other side of the coin so to speak. I mean, don't get me wrong, your analytical reviews are great, but we are here to improve poems too, so if it isn't their point, then your review tells them they missed the mark, but not how to fix it.

This poem gives us a lot of details that allow us to pick up on the fact that our narrator is a young child who misses their father probably, on father's day as the other reviewer picked up.
"From the fatherless daughter" is a bold, simple way to tell the reader exactly what they are getting into, even though it is already in the title. In other words, that part of the line is rather repetitive. We can collect that the father is not around from the line "because I don't know you" and without saying that the daughter is directly fatherless, we can infer more degrees of neglect to attract a wider demographic of readers.

We can pick up that the child is young because they feel pressured to feel grateful for the father still, which either means they are young in spirit and still want to hold onto the idealistic 'parents are our moral compasses and should be respected' or they have yet to recognize and accept that fathers are flawed people too, and even with a father, their life may still have been "a life of tears" with "empty laughter" and "lonely nights of just wishing you were here" or "wishing I knew who you were" or "why you never loved me" for any number of reasons. Some of those include mental illness, general neglect, PTSD, army duty, work and depression, a strict family life, or even an unsociable father. There are some fathers who, although they're not harmful in any way, just never talk about themselves and to children, they are just the father, the fixer of the house. There are other fathers who just spend their whole lives in the garage. So, that being said, the narrator has yet to come to these realizations which means they probably haven't had an opportunity to explore other family's lives deep enough to see these cases.

Now I'll say this. I know that this is a personal poem for you, but I'd like you to recognize that when I say "the narrator" I am not talking about you, I am talking about the persona THIS POEM about THIS situation has lead me to believe. This says nothing about you because words can only do so much. Words are imperfect, they are symbols, translated to ideas, translated through connotations and denotations and twenty million filters, and as such, it's like looking at 9 puzzle pieces of a 1000 piece jigsaw.

So, onto the review.

Overall you have a good story going through this. It's very well connected and meaningful to those who have experienced it.

I feel like you could use with some punctuation work for a few reasons. One reason is that, as this article by Kyllorac says, Pray Perpetuate Poetry Punctuation , punctuation is key to clear communication. Now while there are a variety of ways to do some grammar things, like I cover in this article Capitalization in Poetry including punctuation, capitalization, and even stanza breaks, I think you could do better going one or two ways in this.

Most of the time line capitalization does not go with a lack of punctuation because it is such a traditional formal style. The ellipsis also rarely goes in poetry well without meaning that the line could be repeated in front of the rest of the lines in that stanza.

I could walk...
across the sun
above the moon
through the valley of death,
all because you were with me.

or when something is omitted,

I could almost...
but it was gone again
as fast as a hand pulled back
from a hot pan.

because it is usually used by people who are just starting out to do the job of the comma, which means to pause, and wait, for the next, bit.
So I'd go through, read this, and see where you want to put punctuation, IF you want to keep the beginning rhyme.

Since you said you just tossed this together and you really don't want to give it any time because he doesn't deserve it ANYWAY, I'd suggest you actually go the opposite way. Take out ALL of the capitalization, ALL of the punctuation, and leave it mostly as is. You can capitalize I if you really want, but I'd leave everything else lowercase. The reason being because it can show disrespect just as easily as Him can show respect for god.

As for the general stuff with the poem, I'd suggest working on the imagery, maybe add some more in? Try to give us pictures we can touch like a girl sitting in her room alone crying, or waiting for him to come tuck her in good night like her friend always said, or playing make-believe that he's there?

These are just suggestions if you want to develop a theme around a poem like this. They're not really needed to do anything with this poem, just ideas for the future so to speak, ways to improve on the next go at it and maybe something new to try.

So anyway, I hope that gave you a nice long thing to read for a little different style of analysis, and some ideas about how to help writers on here improve after you've done your analysis for them.

If you have any questions, please drop by <3
Aley

Some more interesting articles that have really nothing to do with you personally, I just like to advertise them <3
They're all found in the Poetry Tips forum under Forums>Resources>Knowledge Base>Poetry Tips
Kiss My Assonance - 5 ways to improve your poetry
How to poetry review
How To Make a (Poetry) Review Go Further
Poetry-Editing Checklist

I think that's it.

Welcome to YWS!

hesmiledatme says...

Thank you for the review! With all due respect I think you've misinterpreted the meaning behind the piece. It's not the fact that he was a bad father, it's the fact that he never even existed to this little girl. You asked to provide imagery; but what if there is none? She has no idea what it is like to have a father love her. The line:
"Wishing I knew who you were

Or why you never loved me."

Has so much meaning behind it that I had no idea how to portray it without losing my theme of effortless words. Because that's all that the girl has left for this man. That's all I have left for him.

My theme isn't in the story itself, but just the meaning behind it.

Aley says...

I think in terms of how to show that there never was a father here, you could show images of the house struggling where a dad would fit into the picture, like when the mom goes to work and the kid is at home with a baby-sitter, or getting shoveled off to relative after relative for baby-sitting.

I don't really know the situation, like you said, so honestly, I don't know what images the narrator can conjure for the idea of being without a father.

As for effortless words as a theme, I think having something flippant at the end which sort of summarizes how easy to forget all of this is would probably work fine, but that's all your choice.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:09 am
shiney1 wrote a review...

Hello! shiney1 here :)

Overall Impression

This poem. This is deep, and so realistic. Father's Day is coming up, and while it's a joyous time for many, it's an old wound for others. I felt the pain, resentment, and longing the poem tried to convey, and like how it acknowledges the fact that not everyone knows who their father is, or has a good father. The poem's wording was not simple, but was not complex either, which worked very well for the subject! Putting things in terms that are too elaborate can make connecting with the reader more difficult, and that's not what happened here.

Nitpicks

I don't really have any nitpicks at all. Grammar, punctuation, and flow seem fine to me. If I could choose only one thing to poke at is the first line.

From the fatherless daughter that never could…

As the opening yo your poem and the potential attention-grabber to the reader, this line is very important. The fact that this sentence trails off without exposing what the fatherless daughter never could do was a little distracting for me, since the rest of of the poem doesn't address it at all. It's not a major issue, but it is the only noticeable quirk for me.

Overall, though, this is an excellent poem!

~shiney

huh. didn't realize santa was a batman fan-
— Mageheart