z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Wool of the Prince-- Chapter 8

by Rook


Chapter 8

~1400 words

Fleta and Jay peered at the exotic merchandise on display in the open-air market stalls. Shep had left to secure a passage down the river, and Gilfred and Godfrey had gone to go meet with their “’portent fella.”

Fleta was just holding an enormous ruby to her eye, trying to find a suitable analogy for its size, when a man tapped on her shoulder. The man was draped in a scarlet cape which came down to his calves, and a bright white smile was plastered on his lips. His hair was dark, swept over his eyes.

He spoke in the faint accent that Jay was beginning to associate with Mystorians, “Are you with an old man with a shepherd’s cane? He didn’t give me a name.”

“Yes,” said Fleta, sighing, “he has a thing about names.”

Jay examined a round pendant that hung around the man’s neck. It was a large blue crystal with gold plating in the shape of continents that Jay had never seen before.

“Your presence is requested within the hour upon the great ship Grayhaven,” he said with a slight bow, “You can find it at the west end of the harbor.”

“Thank you sir,” said Fleta. The man walked off with a flutter of his cape.

Jay and Fleta made their way down the winding, cobblestone streets, a fragrance of exotic flowers and spices floated through the air. Most of the houses they passed were white stucco with red tile roofing. They all had dangling flowerpots holding brightly-hued flowers. The doors and windows had iron grating over them. “Thieves,” Fleta said simply when Jay asked why.

They ran into the road trolls again as they neared the port.

“How did your meeting go?” asked Jay.

“As was to be expected,” Gilfred said, his back straightening in what could only be called a prideful manor. “We got “outstanding” marks on everything. Yes, our road may well be the best around.”

“Why did you have to come all the way to Mystor to have your road assessed?” asked Fleta.

The trolls looked aghast. “If it were judged by anyone from around our parts, it’d be dishonest,” said Godfrey nodding meaningfully. “And if it’s dishonest, there’s no point in real rankings. Right now, we’re within the top ten roads in all of Trevon!”

“Of course,” Fleta said, but gave Jay a look that said the whole ranking system was crazy.

“So what’s next for you?” Jay asked. “We’re heading north up to the Scattered islands.”

“Well…” Godfrey turned to Gilfred.

“We do ‘ave some vacation time coming to us!” piped Gilfred.

“Yeah, and I always wanted to see what exactly makes the roads in the Scattered Islands so much better’n ours,” grumbled Godfrey.

“I’m sure we could have a couple extra travelers on the ship,” Fleta started uncertainly.

“We’ll ask Shep,” Jay said, starting off toward the port.

Soon, they reached the ship. It was a flat ship, like a barge, that held a cargo of huge logs. Most of the other ships in harbor were shaped like this, but there were a few of the sailing ships that Jay had expected. Fleta, Jay, and the road trolls climbed up into the small white cabin at the head of the ship. It was the only part of the ship with a roof over it. Shep was talking to the captain, a man with dark skin and a mustache. His eyes lit up when he spotted the group.

“You must be Jay and Fleta! Welcome aboard! And you are?” The man looked questioningly at the trolls.

“Gilfred and Godfrey, the road trolls, if’n it please you,” Gilfred answered.

The captain smiled, “Nice to meet you. The Grayhaven is set to go in a short amount of time. Now we just have to wait for Cabot,” the man said, scanning the port. “Ah, there he is.”

Jay noticed a speck of red racing along the docks. When it reached the ship, he realized it was the man from earlier. He scaled the tall ladder with the grace of a dancer.

“It’s a bit crowded in here, isn’t it?” His words were clipped and brisk, but not unkind. Cabot hung his brilliant red cape on a hook set into the wall, then dashed to oversee the back of the ship.

“We can head out now,” the captain said, adjusting his hat and turning to the wheel of the ship.

Shep motioned everyone to sit down on the wooden bench that rimmed the perimeter of the room. “It’s going to be several hours until we get to the Scattered Islands. Make yourself comfortable,” he said.

The trolls bickered over nothing and mused over the tricks the road trolls in the Scattered Islands might employ to make their roads appear better. Fleta braided and unbraided her hair over and over again. The captain seemed unaware that he was whistling a tune.

He also seemed unaware of the sheep that had—of course—followed Shep into the cabin. The small, yellowish one, Tart, was lounging on a part of unused bench near the door. It watched the room warily, as if it was afraid that someone was going to sit on it at any time. Jay realized that it must be hard to be invisible. The sheep were good at getting out of people’s way, but there was bound to be a few scary moments when they were cornered. The other three sheep had surrounded Shep, who was giving them all pats on the head absently. He was staring at the sky like he was somewhere far away.

Jay looked out the cabin to the front of the boat, the end that was carrying all the tree trunk logs. He watched, fascinated, as Cabot raced around, telling workers what to do. With no sail, Jay didn’t know what exactly all the workers had to work at. When he grew tired of watching all the people running around at work, Jay lay back his head and fell asleep, lulled by the ship’s rocking and Shep’s quiet song.

Gliding down the river, bright,

Fish all flash in the sunlight.

Feel the water churn below,

Feel the ripples, tides, and flow.

I have not a house or home,

When I die, my soul will roam.

When I die my soul will stay,

Upon the rivers, and the bays.

When he awoke, he knew why the roads of the Scattered Islands got such high scores. It wasn’t superior management; as the trolls said, their road’s quality was ten times better than the roads on the Scattered Islands. Jay supposed that whoever had judged the island’s roads was too entranced by the breath-taking beauty of the island to notice the poor roads. The island was the most beautiful thing that Jay had ever set eyes on.

It was as if he had never seen true colors before. The green of the prevalent flora was greener than all the grass in spring. Greener than the brightest emerald. The flowers were bright as if they were glowing all on their own, in bright pinks and oranges, and all with such geometric petals. The street had a solitate feel to it, multicolored banners hanging from the rooftops. Even the people seemed colorful. Their accents were thicker than the people of Mystor, but it had the same rolling lilt to the end of words, and a musical structure to their sentences. Words could not do the place justice, nor could a thousand pictures, for pictures could never capture the sounds and smells of the place.

Jay was floored by this beauty, as was Fleta, whose jaw was hanging open slightly. Shep drew up behind them, a small smile playing around his eyes. “It’s pretty amazing the first time you see it. It doesn’t help that it’s sunset. I’ll be in the inn over that way,” he pointed to a stone building near the shore. “I don’t expect you to be there right away. It takes a while to soak in the spectacle.” Shep walked off, followed closely by the road trolls who were still griping about how unfair it was that “the Scattered Islands only got a better score because it’s drop-dead gorgeous.”

When he had gone from sight—not that Shep or Fleta were looking—another figure appeared behind them. This shadow ran something powerful under their noses and all the beauty in front of Jay faded to black. He dimly realized he was being dragged somewhere.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1007 Reviews


Points: 13831
Reviews: 1007

Donate
Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:12 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake wrote a review...



Timmy here!!

Okay, so this chapter doesn't have much I can nitpick. Seriously. It is definitely your best chapter yet, using the character's personalities to their full extent, employing every sense of the reader to full advantage, and overall, just doing an amazing job. I think I will have to stick with what Deanie said in her review. This piece is too perfect. Mesa loves it. <3

Oh! I found a nitpick. Yussss...

“’portent fella.”


Too many quotation marks there. Yup. You have two, (one English style, one American) in the first half.

As for the work itself, I don't think there is anything to change here. The visuals were just amazing all the way through, especially the image of the island you gave us. Normally, I don't like long description that go on for a while, but in this case, it just made it perfection. The description just filled my vision with this image. This picture that you drew out for us, adding in little intricate details to full potential. I especially like your comparison to emeralds. That made the countryside that much more green.

Oh! Another teensy nitpick!

In the second to last stanza, you have some dialogue mixed into description and emotions... That is fine! Good, in fact. But you need to always split the paragraph, start a new one--whatever--when you have a new person talk. (or even troll, for that matter). Here, you had Shep talking about where he was going to be, and that was good for setting the scene for the next chapter, but then in the same paragraph you had the trolls talking as well. When doing dialogue, always, always start a new paragraph for a new person, or troll, talking. It keeps everything flowing, and avoids confusion in your reader.

Great job! Keep going! And so shall I...

~Darth Timmyjake


This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.
Image




Deanie says...


We have gotta stop reviewing the same novels. All we do is like each others reviews :P



User avatar
440 Reviews


Points: 6836
Reviews: 440

Donate
Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 am
View Likes
Wolfi wrote a review...



Excellent! This chapter was the best I've read so far!
I'm going to jump right into the errors...

Mystorians

I'm probably completely wrong on this, but I don't remember this word ever being used before. I probably just forgot.
His hair was dark, swept over his eyes.

Try replacing the comma with "and."
the great ship Grayhaven,

"Grayhaven" is a very nice name, although it should be italicized.
He also seemed unaware of the sheep that had—of course—followed Shep into the cabin.

This paragraph was very good; you described the sheep!
Gliding down the river, bright...

Another great song! This is one of the reasons, I think, why I enjoyed this chapter so.
This shadow ran something powerful under their noses and all the beauty in front of Jay faded to black. He dimly realized he was being dragged somewhere.

After reading this a couple times, I realized that someone had poisoned the air or something and stated dragging Jay and Fleta away. But as I said, I had to read it more than once. Please clarify this final paragraph better. I would also like to suggest that the last sentence would be nice as a stand-alone paragraph at the end.
Great job! You described the sheep, sang a song, and developed a conflict. Luckily for me, there are two chapters still awaiting me. Your cliffhanger, therefore, has no effect on me because I know that right after I click "submit," I'll be heading on over to Chapter 9.
Keep it up, Fortis! And PLEASE tag me/ use your club forum when Chapter 11 is published. ;)




User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Thu May 29, 2014 2:04 pm
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hey Fortis!

I find it really hard to review your chapters! They are just so perfect, I can barely find anything that really needs pulling out. So, please excuse the shortness.

I loved this chapter ending. Nice and suspenseful because we have no clue what is going to happen next to Jay and Fleta. Though I suspect it might've been Cabot who did this to them, the mysterious looking man. Also, another thing I have to say is your dialogue is amazing. It just flows so naturally, like it was just real people having a proper conversation! Especially when it comes to the trolls. Gah, you've gotta love them two <3

My only complaint with this chapter is that the boat trip seems kind of muffled there. We never get a chance to see the sea or the island ahead as it is approaching, just a brief description of how terrifying it must be to be invisible sheep. I think you could elaborate a bit more so that we can get a chance to see a bit more setting. It would be a nice time to see a bit more.

Also, I am wondering why Shep went ahead of them to the boat? Was it just to organize everything and all? I think Jay should be a little concerned as to where he is now as well. I mean, it is fine because he did want to run away. But he is on a completely different planet! Is he sure he doesn't want to at least go back to earth, or does he prefer it hear anyway? It would be nice to ponder this, perhaps as he is gazing across the sea on the boat :) It would be a nice way to incorporate both points I'm mentioning.

Apart from this though, a smashing chapter as always. I will read on, and you keep up the brilliant writing!

Deanie x




User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Tue May 20, 2014 1:39 am
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

A cliffhanger?? Why would you do this to us?! D:

Alright, so you have another chapter here in which the group is traveling. Again, you've done a great job with your characterization. You are keeping quite consistent with everyone's character. Shep is still the old man who can see weird sheep and sings lovely songs, Jay is still the boy tagging along, and Fleta is still Shep's companion. I do have a few concerns about Fleta though. I feel like I don't know her as well. It could be blamed on me being a fast reader and forgetting what exactly happened in the earlier chapters, but none the less I feel like she's just there. Sometimes it's hard to have that "extra character" in the story and find time to focus on them. I'd really like it if you spent a little more time on her. For example, I totally didn't expect her to be in awe of the island. I feel like she would've seen it already since she lives in this world. But she's just as impressed as Jay is.

The only other thing I have to say about this is that I feel like Jay falling to sleep was a bit pointless. Not to be harsh or anything, but it just doesn't really seem like it fits. Before he was worrying about getting sea sick and now he's being lulled to sleep by the ship's rocking. Wouldn't he be getting sick rather than falling asleep? And there's always better ways to pass time than to have your character sleep. Maybe he's sitting there watching the ocean float by and all of the sudden the island comes into view. He had been so entranced by the water that he hadn't noticed that they were there already.

So I was a little blunt with this review , sorry. But I did really enjoy it. And now I have to sit here and wonder what the heck is going to happen 'cause of your cliff hanger. Thanks a lot :P

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




Random avatar

Points: 3068
Reviews: 161

Donate
Mon May 19, 2014 10:50 pm
kayfortnight wrote a review...



Fleta was just holding an enormous ruby to her eye, trying to find a suitable analogy for its size,

This doesn't really make sense. She'd be finding an analogy for it if she was going to describe it to someone that's not there. Maybe if you had her describing it aloud, it'd make a little more sense-this way it just doesn't sound right.

He spoke in the faint accent that Jay was beginning to associate with Mystorians, “Are you with an old man with a shepherd’s cane? He didn’t give me a name.”
Don't use a full sentence and then a comma before speech. Either make it a partial sentence, or put a period instead:)

The street had a solitate feel to it, multicolored banners hanging from the rooftops.
Solitary, probably, not solitate.

I liked this chapter more than some of the early ones, but I think you're writing a narration more than a story. Lots of events happening in a short period of time without much time taken on each one. Just be aware.





Light griefs are loquacious, but the great are dumb.
— Seneca