z

Young Writers Society



The Last Breath of Fire, Chapter 5

by Zontafer


Jacob stood there for a while, watching Lea’s dark brown hair blowing slightly in the breeze, until she was out of sight. He turned against the market square, figuring out what he needed. It was hotter here than England, but luckily his clothes were light. He could still remember the grey stone walls around London and the river Thames flowing by. If he would ever come back to England was something he still had to find out. In the meanwhile, he knew he had to remain brave.

«Come and buy some wool!» A man shouted from one of the stands. «You’ll find no better quality in the entire west! That, I promise!»

He squeezed himself through the crowd and over to one of the stands, one with loads of trinkets and other equipment. Examining his coins, he saw a dragon in a circle on one of the golden ones. Asgard must have some strong connection to the dragons. How much he could obtain with them was something he would soon find out.

«Good day! What can I get for you?» The man behind the stand asked.

«I need some basic equipment. What do you suggest?» Jacob asked him.

«Hm…» The man looked at his assortment, before saying, «I think you would need a leather pouch for your coins, and a weapon belt for your blades. An animal skin to carry your water should be suiting for you as well. I recommend goatskin, the finest of them all.»

«All right, how much would these things cost?» He questioned the seller.

The man stroke his fingers across his chin, trying to find a price, «How about three coins of gold?»

He only had three golden coins and nine silver coins.

If I were a seller, I would definitely try to sell for a lot more than the usual price to someone who does not live in the city.

A cheaper price could for sure be dug forth.

«Asgard is the city where I grew up in. Of course the prices have changed a bit since those times, but I am not stupid.» The man’s face changed into a red colour. «Two golden coins, or nothing.» Now, perhaps that helped.

He considered the offer, before finally accepting it. «As you wish.»

He traded the gold for the objects, and Jacob gave a short: «Thanks,» in return.

Now, towards the inn.

When he thought about it, he realized that Lea never told him where the inn was. Jacob scouted around for any signs that would be able to tell him where the inn was, without success. In front of the market square, a guard passed by. It looked like he was heading through a second gate, leading into another part of the city.

From the outer wall, the stone crossed the whole city, leading to the inner one. This gate didn't even have guards, except archers on the parapet. Perhaps he would be able to explain the way.

«Guard!» He called over to him.

The guard turned around, surprised. «What do you want, foreigner?» He spit out to Jacob, with impatience.

«Could you tell me where I would be able to find The Wild Dragon

«Past that smith,» he said, pointing towards a big stone building.

«I see, thanks for your help.»

The guard gave a short nod, and hurried off.

He started walking the stone path towards the smith. Studying the city, he came to notice a big building on the other side of the city, from where the guard had walked through. It was a tall and big building in dressed stone with wide stairs leading up to it. At the top of it, a small tower had been built. It almost looked like one of the stone churches back where he came from.

The Broken Shield were the words engraved in the sign, attached to the smith. As the sign swung back and forth slowly in the wind, it creaked an abominable sound.

From outside, he saw the blacksmith and his apprentices hammering their metal, strike after strike, to then dump the hot metal into their buckets filled with water. Around the corner of the smith, he spotted a sign hanging over the street from a building. There was a creature carved in it, most likely a dragon.

The building had a rectangular shape, and was of wood. It looked very old, he determined after having a quick look at it. Hadn’t it been for the people coming in and out of it, he would believe the building was abandoned. The wood had a dark colour, something similar to walnut. Perhaps a little lighter version of it.

Jacob pushed the door open, giving away a big and awful creak. The inn looked much more taken care of on the inside, and had a dark and comfortable lighting. A bar was at one end of room, with tall wooden chairs in front of it. Some man stood behind it, probably the innkeeper. At the other end of the room, tables and chairs of the same dark wood stood. All of the chairs either had leather or wool over it, still they looked like they had been well used, if that’s one way to say it.

Judging by all the people inside, the inn seemed like one of the most popular ones in Asgard. His throat felt sore and his head slightly dizzy. He realized that he hadn’t had anything to drink since the lake, so he went over to the bar.

«What can I get for you, boy?» the innkeeper asked him. He looked old, with his grey hair.

«Anything strong?» Jacob asked him.

«Well, we’re known for our Dragon’s Breath, a drink as hot as a dragons breath.»

So my tongue can burn? No thank you.

«I think I’ll do with anything slightly milder.”

«So will be,» the man said and poured some green liquid into a glass. «Eight silver coins,» he demanded, with his hands stretched forward, waiting for the payment.

Jacob dug forth the silver from his new pouch and handed them over. His eyes switched from the innkeeper to the drink, before taking a small sip. A taste of something reminding him of delicious fruit laid upon his tongue. It was… Wonderful. Absolutely, wonderful. He pushed the liquid around in his mouth with his tongue, to absorb every piece of it, before he finally swallowed.

It had an indescribable warm feeling, reminding him of the first time he drank ale. The drink anointed his throat; in a weird and special way, one he had never felt before. He felt his head poundering again and held on tight to the wood.

Watching through mist, was the only way to describe how his vision was. Blurred. Sounds became more distant as well, just the way voices echoed in a cave. His lips formed words, but none came out of it.

First of all, thanks to everyone who's still reading my chapters! I've had this ready for a while now, but I've been really uncertain if I should publish this or not. I tried getting more descriptive about the places in this one. ^^


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
308 Reviews


Points: 31200
Reviews: 308

Donate
Tue May 20, 2014 7:54 pm
GoldFlame wrote a review...



Flame here! Apologies for ze delay. ;)

You never fail to amaze, don't you? I'm angry now because your writing's flawless and there's nothing to nitpick, and here I was, expecting to review. How foolish of me. So, I hope you don't mind my gushing. :D

It occurs with most novels; the writer improves as the story progresses. They slip into a beat, establish a voice, breathe life into their characters. I don't follow novels if I know this'll happen; I follow novels because I don't see how it'll happen, how it'll be possible to slip things up a notch when you're already top-notch. You just proved the impossible possible. This's my favorite chapter yet, and it's only the fourth one, plus a prologue.

I don't think I even need to mention the fluency. Although I'd suggest cranking up the contractions, just the slightest bit. Their inexistence plays an obstacle in the flow.

Jacob stood there for a while, watching Lea’s dark brown hair blowing slightly in the breeze, until she was out of sight.


Check that the verbs correspond with the tense. Should be: "Jacob stood there awhile, watching Lea's dark brown hair blow in the breeze, until she was out of sight." You might've noticed I also clipped the preposition and adverb. Prepositions and adverbs are like snacks with high-fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient. They're tempting, but you should only have them in moderation.

It was hotter here than England, but luckily his clothes were light. He could still remember the grey stone walls around London and the river Thames flowing by.


I'm kinda ... "meh" on this one. Wand halves connected by the thinnest splinter, the splinter being "England." One half pertains to the weather, the other to his memories of London. There needs to be some glue so that we're not straining that splinter.

If he would ever come back to England was something he still had to find out.


This looks a little bulky. Initially I thought "if he would ever come back to England" was the introductory phrase, but then it turned out to be the subject, hanging on a splinter like the previous quote. But this time that splinter's a predicate, a helping verb: "was." And we're straining it too hard.

Fairly simple mend: "He had yet to find out whether he would return to England."

«Come and buy some wool!» A man shouted from one of the stands.


Whoa. Those quotation marks are epic. Where can I buy them?

On a grammatical note, dialogue tags shouldn't be capitalized, with the exception of proper nouns. You uncapitalized them at the end, so I'll assume you just ... forgot, maybe?

«You’ll find no better quality in the entire west!


"Better quality" should be "higher quality."

«I need some basic equipment. What do you suggest?» Jacob asked him.


The man has no idea where Jacob intends to go, what he intends to do, and what he considers "basic equipment." Unless the man possesses individual bags labeled "basic equipment," Jacob should be a tad more specific.

The man looked at his assortment, before saying ...


No comma necessary.

An animal skin to carry your water should be suiting for you as well.


"Suiting" should be "suitable" in this case, as it's playing the role of an adjective.

«All right, how much would these things cost?»


"All right" should be "alright," as it's acting as a parenthetical expression, and launches the sentences.

The man stroke his fingers across his chin, trying to find a price, «How about three coins of gold?»


That first bit doesn't qualify as a dialogue tag, so the comma after "price" is unnecessary. "Stroke" should also be "stroked," seeing as this's past tense.

He traded the gold for the objects, and Jacob gave a short: «Thanks,» in return.


This should look like "Jacob gave a short «thanks» in return" or maybe just "Jacob thanked him in return." (See semicolon lesson below.)

It looked like he was heading through a second gate, leading into another part of the city.


The phrasing suggests that the guard was leading into another part of the city. But I'd guess you're referring to the gate. The word "that" is handy in times like this.

a dragons breath


Forgot an apostrophe here.

The drink anointed his throat; in a weird and special way, one he had never felt before.


Semicolons! Oh dear.

Chances are, you know about independent clauses, but due to recent confusion, I'll assume you don't. Independent clauses are phrases that can function as sentences. They consist of a subject, predicate, and complete thought. For instance: "We were breathing hard."

There're two ways to connect independent clauses. One's a comma and conjunction. The other's a semicolon.

Correct: "We were breathing hard; it'd be quite a run."

Incorrect: "When I laughed; Johnny's mouth tightened."
Incorrect: "A breeze entered the forest; the kind that

However, semicolons are allergic to dependent clauses, as demonstrated above. There's a lot of confusion on this matter. In both incorrect examples, the semicolons should be commas. Not colons, commas. Colons are used for listy stuff, but I don't think there's any need to explain.

So: "The drink anointed his throat in a weird and special way ... "

This doesn't require a comma because the semicolon broke things off at a preposition. You might've heard the rule "add commas when you hear a pause." Ignore it, ignore it for the sake of humanity. The sad truth—writing's more about rules and numbers and formats than it is imagination. There's the dialogue tags you should monitor, and the number of prepositions per clause, and where to insert commas. Most of it's instinctive. Unfortunately, semicolons aren't in that majority.

Whew! Fun stuff.

It was… Wonderful. Absolutely, wonderful.


"Wonderful" should be lowercase, and there's no need for the comma.

It had an indescribable warm feeling


Should be "indescribably," as the word "indescribable" describes the ensuing adjective, ironically enough.

Overall, fantastic job. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to reading more! :D




Zontafer says...


Wow, just wow. Your reviews are amazing! You seem to always get every singe nitpick, haha. ^^
Thanks for your review and your kind words!
I'm on a tablet now, but I'll edit it tomorrow!

- Zontafer



GoldFlame says...


No problem! ^_^



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Tue May 13, 2014 2:04 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello there Zont, Wolf here to return a favor.
So I see many of the little nit picks have been caught by other reviews so I'll dive straight into the content.
I'm not the best reviewer in the world, so I'm sorry if this seems a little scattered.
I thing that was extremely confusing to me was in the first paragraph. He mentions something about 'if he ever got back to England', but there is no connecting word. It says exactly:
"He could still remember the grey stone walls around London and the river Thames flowing by. If he would ever come back to England was something he still had to find out. In the meanwhile, he knew he had to remain brave."
This didn't seem to flow together. Also, the phrase, 'was something' confused me the most. It was a teensy bit distracting.
Another thing I wanted to touch on was the currency. So I don't really understand it's value. There are gold, silver, and gold covered silver coins, but how do they compare to each other? And from the impression I got of them it seemed outrageous to charge eight silver coins for a drink.
The ending was also a bit vague and hard to understand? Did he get drunk? Was he drugged? Or was this just a normal effect of the drink? Was someone out to harm him? So many questions just popped up because of that little part.
Otherwise I loved it! It's a wonderful idea and I was instantly drawn in at the mention of dragons. It was very well written and I wish to be kept up to date with this! Keep up the good work!
~Wolfare




Zontafer says...


Thanks for the wonderful review, Wolf! ^^
I didn't see this, as this way the 13th of May, when no one recieved notfications.
The answer about the last parts is something you probably got an answer to in chapter five. Also, about the currency, ten silver coins is equal to one gold coin. I'll try to add more of that later, if that was confusing.
Thanks again!

- Zontafer



User avatar
87 Reviews


Points: 5984
Reviews: 87

Donate
Wed May 07, 2014 8:32 pm
View Likes
Alchemist wrote a review...



Hi there!

I think you accidentaly deleted the part of the text while editing about the broken shield.

I like the style of this chapter, it is the best so far(not that i didnt like the prevous ones). But i think the problem is that nothing really significant happened in this chapter. It is just as the description said: he bought some items and found the inn. But that is not enough for me.

I dont think you can add anything of happening here, but you could add some psychological reflections. I mean, now that he is left alone he has time to think about what happened to him. We dont know anything about him but he had a family back in england, maybe even a girl or a woman. But he might not see them ever again. He might be dead, drowned in the lake and ended up in Valhalla or something, but he still might be dead.

Since this is your lastest work, my comment might actually make some sense. I think you should, at least in the opening chapters, focus on his psychology. What happened to him was extraordinairy, so try to imagine how a real person would react in that situation. It is more important than to describe what every single house he walks by looked like(never said you did that).

So to summ up, style is good, but you didnt reveal anything in this chapter, so i really think you should expand it.

Keep up the good work!

-Alchemist




Zontafer says...


Thanks again!
Hm, seems like I managed to delete the rest of that sentence, thanks for telling! xD
I agree with you that nothing really happened in this chapter, so I'm really trying to find out what I can add to it to keep the reader more hooked at the beginning.
I'm trying to not write any of his thoughts on the whole thing that's happened, because I don't want to bore the readers, but I'll see if I can fit something somewhere.

- Zontafer



Alchemist says...


Sorry if i was a bit harsh xD

Im dont think his reaction and thoughts would be boring, i mean, every normal person would freak out at least.

But im looking forward to seeing what will you do, or if you skip to the next chapter then im really looking forward to it!

You can also inform me if you are done with either of those :P

-Alchemist



Zontafer says...


I don't think you were. If you're not honest it doesn't help me at all! ^^
I've added some more in the first paragraph and fixed the part I accidentally deleted.

- Zontafer



Alchemist says...


Yes, i think that makes it. You pointed out that he strongly decided he has to remain calm,strong or whatever, until he goes through this! I think its much better now!



Alchemist says...


Hey, im here again becouse i just remembered i forgot to mention something really picky but it bothered me while reading.

I think the currecy(XD), gold-silver relation is weird here. Usually its 10cooper=1 silver, 10silver=1 gold. You can go with 100 but i think that is unrealistic and way too much.

So you purchased pouch,belt and waterbag for two gold. In my mind that is kinda too much, some silvers would be rather enough. But later on you bought a glass(bottle?) of alchohol for eight silver. That is way too much, i think glass of dring should be 2-3 coopers(or whatever the lowest currency is).

Maybe you had something else in mind, im not sure how the currencies work there but it sounded a little bit too unrealistic for me. But not a big deal anyway! xD

I hope you wont make a long pause before the next chapter! :)



Zontafer says...


Wait.. what?
I thought I had used 10 silver - 1 gold.. hm, I'd better fix this. Thanks for telling me! xD
I got 300 words-ish on the next chapter, but I think I will finish it today. It may be up tomorrow!

- Zontafer



Zontafer says...


And btw, sorry for making this 'spammy', but silver is the lowest currency in the west. I decided to not add copper, as it would be too much like other stories and games.



User avatar
172 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 172

Donate
Tue May 06, 2014 11:50 am
View Likes
Laure wrote a review...



My greeting, Zontafer. I have arrived upon hence to give thee a review. So, let's start off with the positives. Because I tend to go on with the technies for too long. I liked the briskness of the pace in this novel, but at the same time I also wish you could expand it more. I can sense that you're starting to be more description so keep that up! I'm starting to get a feel of your strength and your weaknesses. Your dialogues are pretty smooth, though they only tend to reflect the character's tones but not their personality, keep that in mind as you write your next chapter. There is a lot of action going on and the pace is generally pretty good. So well done.

A few suggestions here and there:

Henry asked him.
Hmm, I think you're a bit confused about when to use Jacob and Henry. As you're writing this is Jacob's POV, everything to himself should be Jacob. Except when he is talking to another person. Like:

"What's your name?" One asked, eyeing him suspiciously.
"Jacob." Henry replied smoothly. (Jacob is merely a disguise for Jacob's safety. Some of the readers might get a bit confused if you switched between the two too often.)

The Broken Shield was the words in the sign,


The Broken Shield are three words, so the was should be [/b]were[/b]. Also, words cannot be in a sign unless they are either engraved or craved upon. In which, you should tell the readers so. It is usually on the sign.

Creaking hurt his ears, as the sign kept swinging slowly in the wind.


I just thought that the orders of the words in this sentence was a bit awkward. Maybe try, As the sign swung back and fo slowly in the wind, it creaked an abhorrent sound that hurt his ears. Just a suggestion. >.< And yes, I know I added in some more words, I can't help it.

He started walking towards the smith.


Use the walk to describe his surroundings, the atmosphere, where is he? Who is he surrounded by?

Jacob dug forth the silver from his new pouch and handed them over. His eyes switched from the innkeeper to the drink, before taking a small sip. A taste of something reminding him of delicious fruit laid upon his tongue. It was… Wonderful. Absolutely, wonderful. He pushed the liquid around in his mouth with his tongue, to absorb every piece of it, before he finally swallowed.


Not long after his head started feeling dizzy again, and his vision started fading. Sounds became more distant as well. His mouth moved trying to call for help, but no words came out of it.
Hm, I still think you can expand this a little bit more. How exactly did the sounds become distant, be precise with your descriptions. Describe how dizzy he felt. Remember, show don't tell or better yet, show and tell balance the two out and you will have a masterpiece.


Now, that is description. I love it.

Short summary on plot and language: So I liked the plot enough, is quite good and I'm getting a bit more insight into Jacob and Lea. But I would still like some more depth on them, the same with Asgard. I just keep on getting glimpses of what's happening, I don't really know what the city looks like, are there great castles? What's the woodland or natural habitat like? So, your plot was pretty good and the ending was obviously a cliff-hanger (how mean of you.)

Oh, and this is a bit nitpicky. But that bit with the guards, I mean Jacob is a stranger and would the guard really be so patient as to answer him? I mean the way he spoke was a bit demanding and impolite from my point of view, I would imagine Jacob to be more polite. But is your story.

The bit about Jacob being slowly unconscious, I thought you could make the transition longer and smoother by describing some queasy feelings after swallowing the drink instead of jumping straight to not long.

So overall, not bad, just expand on the descriptions are bit more and develop the characters. I'm excited to see where this goes, KEEP ON WRITING!

-Laure (the brownie monster)




Zontafer says...


Thanks for once again a wonderful review, Laure!
I've corrected the language stuff and added more description, also at the very end of the chapter. I'll tell you more about the natural things and the castle-part in the next chapter, as that will be from Lea's PoV!
Thanks again!

- Zontafer



User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 324
Reviews: 50

Donate
Tue May 06, 2014 12:33 am
View Likes
Tiaradyson wrote a review...



For the first sentence instead of blowing use blow. It makes it flow better than it did before. Describe strange stuff; like trinkets and tinkers lol It's okay to use big words but when someone wants to buy something or get. I don't think obtain should be used.
I got confused, how does one shout around for signs? or like SIGNS like omg an X marks the spot or an actual sign?

My favorite part was:
"He pushed the liquid around in his mouth with his tongue, to absorb every piece of it, before he finally swallowed.

It had an indescribable warm feeling, reminding him of the first time he drank ale."

It gave a lot of imagery and feeling I could taste on my taste buds.
I hate to be negative; but there was lot of lacking of detailing. Scenery was the lacking part, but the characters actions seemed on point and it was easy to mimic.

Another favorite part:
"It was hotter here than England, but luckily his clothes were light." It just gave me an idea for clothing, Jacob would wear.
The dialogue was interesting, it gave me a western feel. Though it wasn't. It old and quite obvious by it, it was medieval.

Great JOb :D




Zontafer says...


Thanks for you review! I love negative reviews, if you're not honest I wouldnt get anything out of it.
But what do you mean by 'shout around for signs'?? Do you mean 'shouted from one of the stands'? Because that means he shouted from one of the booths. ^^
Thanks again!

- Zontafer



Tiaradyson says...


Your exact words:

When he thought about it, he realized that Lea never told him where the inn was. Henry scouted around for any signs that would be able to tell him where the inn was, without success. In front of the market square, a guard passed by. Perhaps he would be able to explain the way.



Tiaradyson says...


I'm so sorry I read it wrong I thought it said shouted



Zontafer says...


Ahh I see, np^^




You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling