Feeling Something Real

by CamorynAnn

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

Gripping the blade

Feeling myself fade

Falling further into nothing

Wanting, begging for something

To pull myself back

Knowing there is never a lack

Of trust in my pain

So much to gain

I let the metal sink in

And finally I begin

To learn how to feel

Things that are actually real

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:27 pm
Lumi wrote a review...

Hey, Cam. I’m Ty. Let’s talk about poetry.

First of all, you’ve acknowledged that this subject-matter is overdone. I accept that and agree with you, but most subjects are overdone, and in that train of thought, I say that you don’t bother analyzing the particulars of what you write poetry about, but rather how you write it. Now, this is a short piece that has very little wiggle room because you have a parameter of AABBCCDDEEFF rhyme. Again, this is okay, but as far as nurturing your skill in poetry goes, I’m going to diverge from your written limits and talk about potential vs. delivery.

There is major beauty in poetry on a subject-matter like self-harm; that’s not to say that it should be romanticized or praised, but rather that it can be very emotive if you pull it off the right way. As this piece stands right now, it falls short of making me care about the narrator. Your parameter of rhyme is very shackling, and I want to see what you could pull off were you to remove the rhyme scheme. See, when you free yourself from limits—when you enter free-verse poetry—there is so much more room for a beautiful narrative, for the exposure of images and lyrics that make the reader feel.

That said, there’s no real narration here—simply the four-second thought stream that comes with the narrator’s self-harm. But if you were to explore what drove her here in the first place, the thoughts that burn and pull her down, you would have more of a connection with your reader.

Even if we were to leave the rhyme scheme in place on this piece, you waste several lines just to meet the scheme:

to pull myself back
Knowing there is never a lack

So much to gain

And I finally begin

And it’s simply sad because the tiny length of this piece gives NO room for you to waste lines. You essentially waste ¼ of your entire poem, and that’s a shame. And that’s typically the shame of parameters in general. Consider them Poetry: Challenge Mode. More often than not, beginners in poetry start with rhyming and meter, and it gives us poor execution. I say that if you want to develop as a poet of emotive merit, you begin with free-verse.

Aside from my dislike of parameters, you have an issue with the phrasing of most of the poem: it’s written ¾ in participles. That’s the –ing deal, if you didn’t know. Participles are on the edge of not being verbs and close to the line where we begin with adjectives, but since they’re so close to both parties, they simply make for a boring voice. It’s not until you reach “I let the metal sink in” that we have any proper active voice. That said, I’d certainly love to see the remainder of the poem reshaped to fit active voice so that your narrator has more power over what she’s doing, and you don’t, instead, give us gripping > feeling > falling > wanting > begging > knowing. It’s boring and passive. A whole frick-ton of telling, and very, very little showing.

Hit me up and we’ll discuss potential free-verse together.

Lumi

CamorynAnn says...

I actually rarely do write poems that rhyme, more often then not they are in free verse. I challenge myself occasionally to rhyme, and those are often the ones that show up on yws from me. I guess i hadn't really thought about the fact that all of the ing words were what made it seem so dry...hmm. i will try to do a better job of staying away from those in the future. Thank you for the review :)

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:55 am
RockerTink96 says...

I actually think self harmers are the perfect poets. I relate to this a lot. Your poem shows the feelings most of us feel. Thank you for sharing. :) My favorite part was "Knowing there is never a lack Of trust in my pain".

CamorynAnn says...

I agree completely, but, i have recently become aware of the vast amount of yws' younger members, and I sometimes feel bad and get worried that they will see my writings from when I do self harm, and how i feel after, and will start using it for a solution of their own. I might write some about reasons not to do it. Call me a hypocrite, but i know it is bad and no one should do it. Once you start its hard to stop its an addiction.

verymaryanna wrote a review...

Okay, the broken rhythm of this poem perfectly matches the broken feelings, emotion, and skin of the speaker, and personally I really enjoyed it. Most of the time broken rhythms and stanzas kind of irk me, but it really works well for this. I especially love this bit:

"Knowing there is never a lack/ Of trust in my pain"

Has to be my favorite part of the poem.

All I can think of right now is that the last three lines of the poem kind of get out of the broken sync and it's a bit funky. Completely optional :)
Another thing is that personally, I would have loved more detail! You already have established strong imagery into such a small package, but I would change some of the "dead" words to more descriptive ones (unless they are to be like the dead feeling the speaker feels inside that is pushing him/her to cut, then by all means ignore this part of the review).

Overall, it's a lovely three a.m poem (honestly my favorite kind) and I hope I'll get to see more of it on here. Happy writing!

- verymaryanna

(Also don't hesitate to pm me love, if you need he'll not cutting because it's really serious and not healthy at all)

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats