z

Young Writers Society



Strong and Weak

by TimmyJake


Strong on the outside,

While being weak deep inside.

The double man's here.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:10 am
View Likes
Deanie wrote a review...



Hi Timmy!

Ooh a haiku. These are the hardest to review, so maybe this might end up being a comment. I have to say I like the idea here, talking about the double-sided people who feel one way inside and another outside. And it also makes me think of two-faced people, so when it comes to meaning, you've pretty much got it down to peg.

I think the first line is great, and have little suggestions for the other two.

While being weak deep inside.


When it comes to haiku's, the words are generally pretty carefully chosen, because you are only allowed so few of them. So in this case, I fell like the 'while' and 'being' kind of bring it down a bit because there are much stronger words you could use to bring across the same meaning. Like 'but feeling weak deep inside,' so we know it's more how the feel about themselves, instead of how they simple 'are', and the but makes it seem like it could be their fault they feel like this, or maybe it isn't.

The double man's here.


This almost makes it seem like the 'd' should be capitalized because you are talking about a certain man who goes around calling himself the double man. I am not sure if that's what you wanted to bring across here or not? If so, then leave it be :D And ignore the suggestion I am about to give you right now...

I suggest you make it 'two faces for a body' (which does fit in with the syllables, just so you know.) That way you show that there is two parts to one person. Or something else which uses the word 'two' instead of double. Be as creative as you want with that.

Will see you when I come back to keep picking my way through these poems :D

Deanie x




timmyjake says...


Awww... Thank you so much, Livvy. :)
You have helped me with poetry more than anyone else here.



User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 408
Reviews: 193

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 pm
View Likes
Niraco wrote a review...



Hello Timmy! I hope you're having an awesome review day cos that's why I'm here.

I have a deep love for haikus, they're fun, easy to read and can provide a very powerful image.

However, this isn't really a haiku. Haiku's tend to have 5 syllables in the first line then 7 then back to 5. This has 5 then 8 then 5 so you're almost there!

Perhaps you could change 'while' to 'though' or 'but' would turn it into a real haiku.


I really liked the subject matter you picked here.

The double man's here.


This was, for me, the best line in the poem.

unfortunately, since haikus are so short I find that it is easy to have a lack of words to describe or critic the poem. So I'll wrap this review up!

I liked the subject matter but you need to change the third line in order for it to be a true haiku.

Happy writing!




timmyjake says...


thank you for your review!



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 345
Reviews: 60

Donate
Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 pm
View Likes
StealTheWorld wrote a review...



I really, really like the ideas on this. The double man could mean a lot, really. He could have two sides to him--strong and weak, as you mentioned--or he could be rallying with different emotions. An internal battle, if you will. This was just how I perceived it, though, so I don't know of anyone else has the same thoughts as me.

The second line seems a little awkward. Maybe it's the wording? I think it could be changed to flow better. Here's how I would write it:

Strong on the outside,
But still weak deep inside me.
The double man's here.

Also, about haikus:
- By definition, a haiku is a three-lined poem with five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five in the third. I see you've fixed that part :))
- a haiku is written about, or dealing with nature. Other topics could be a senryu, I believe. I'll have to look it up again later for confirmation.

I liked it. It doesn't provoke too much thought, but I do like it.

Always,
DarkHeart




timmyjake says...


Thank you for your review! I will work on that. :)



Random avatar

Points: 737
Reviews: 9

Donate
Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:44 am
View Likes
amberrrly30 says...



hmm. Me gusta! ( I like it) haha. Interesting. It is small ,but refelctive and yet clever. Enjoyed your work young writer!


-Amber




User avatar
878 Reviews


Points: 35199
Reviews: 878

Donate
Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:40 pm
View Likes
Demeter wrote a review...



Hi Timmy! :D

Haiku are actually usually 5-7-5 (syllables) and this is 7-10-4, so this could be a haiku's second cousin. ;) Haiku (haikus?) are very fascinating, and I especially like them because I'm so impatient! However, they can be difficult to write because you have to be extremely concise and leave a lasting impression on your reader.

I think you did well on the whole "concise" thing, and I think this also has the sort of feeling that is typical of haiku, even though haiku are traditionally descriptions of nature and so on. However, I think you can cheat a bit on the nature part, because it's nice to break rules in writing! ;) I think the best haiku are somehow chilling, and "the double man" definitely adds a little to the creepiness. Maybe you can try playing with the syllables so you'll actually reach the 5-7-5 construction of a haiku, if that's what you want to call this. :)

Demeter x




timmyjake says...


Ok... so I am not so great at the whole 5-7-5 thing. Actually, I don't really know what it means... Could you tell me? :D Thanks! I will work on that!



timmyjake says...


So I got what you said and did some editing... Any better? :D



Demeter says...


It just means that the first line is five syllables long (which it is now!), the second one seven and the third again five syllables. :D Sorry that I wasn't clear on that! You're almost there though, because the second one is eight and the third one 6 - one could say it's a rebellious haiku. ;) The syllables are difficult, but it's also kind of fun to abide by them, like a puzzle!



timmyjake says...


I will work on that! Thanks for explaining! :D



Demeter says...


No problem, good luck!



User avatar
170 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 170

Donate
Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:34 pm
View Likes
deleted5 wrote a review...



Hey there Tiny Tim! I don't think I have ever reviewed anything from you before!
I really like this haiku! I usually find them hard to review but there is a lot I like about this! My favourite bit was the last little phrase! "The double man". I think it tied up the piece very nicely! I also like how you made this into a kind of outside inside thing; two opposites. Haikus are very good for that sort of thing!
You have your punctuation in the correct place, but you did miss out one capital which is pretty obvious in haikus. It would be a good idea to change that!
Overall very good haiku! Especially for your first!
See ya Tiny Tim!




timmyjake says...


Thanks Sushi! :D



timmyjake says...


Where is the place that should be capitalized? I would like to fix it! :D



deleted5 says...


while

First letter of every line is always capitalized in poems.



timmyjake says...


Thanks! Editing complete! :D





Actually, poetry defies the rules of grammar. ;) So punctuation, capitalization, things like that can be ignored. Whether Timmy wants to capitalize things or not is up to him as the poet. Just so you know!



deleted5 says...


Yes someone informed me of that a few days later so now I only really mention as a small point if they want.




The only way of knowing a person is to love them without hope.
— Walter Benjamin