z

Young Writers Society

Guns and Roses

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:47 am
ziggiefred says...

Spoiler! :
Okay, I haven't edited this yet, but I thought I'd just post it. If you've read my previous stories you'll notice that this is almost the same situation as in Miriam. I wan't to see if I can write stories about crises, so I'm penning a lot of these down.

It could have been much worse; he could have left her. She has always been able to handle any situation that came in her life, except rejection. The stigma behind a divorce in her village would ruin her. But he stayed. Puleng was not sure why, considering that he had always expressed how he did not love her anymore. They’d been together for forty years, and they were more strangers to each other now, than the first time they met.

She watched him through the kitchen window. He was sitting outside, cleaning his rifle; the sun blazing behind a handful of scattered clouds in the sky. It was really hot, with a warm, dusty gust blowing softly in the quiet settlement. She did not understand why she still loved him so much. Why she hadn’t left him and moved to another village, if at all the stigma was the only excuse she was using to hold on.

They met through a mutual friend at a wedding. She was only twenty three. They were married a year later. Puleng was more than overjoyed to be the first among her three older sisters to get married. Richard was charming, gentle and understanding. She remembered the glimmer in his eyes right after she agreed to marry him. He had arranged the perfect date; a room in his tiny apartment which was scattered with rose petals all over the floor. Puleng was not one for flowers or that kind of scenery; she always felt it was cliché that men go all out when trying to woo women, by making all kinds of arrangements with flowers; a plant she could never understand. That’s what she thought, until it happened to her. She succumbed to the fresh red roses, tying room in together so romantically.

He sat outside, with a petulant look on his face; quite the norm. Richard cleaned his gun every Sunday. Puleng didn’t understand why, seeing as he barely used it. She remembered her dress, the one she wore that night. It was bright yellow. Bright colours weren’t her thing either, but love changed a person, and the way they envisioned life. Bright was happy, just like she was. She walked over to him; Richard. He was all dressed up in his finest plaid suit, his broad shoulders exuding the man in him. He looked smart, with his clean shaven head and face, his enticing cologne, his expensive snake skin shoes. Tall and handsome.

Puleng spent most of her days at her farm because it was harvest season. She only made it home on the weekends to tidy up her house and make sure there was food for her husband to eat. Richard had retired five years ago. He worked and lived about an hour away from the village at a water treatment plant. Puleng was almost used to not having him around for the thirty-five years he worked there. She could not move away to be with him at his job only because of the living arrangements. He lived in a crowded apartment with other workers. They’d had two daughters already, so he insisted Puleng stay behind with the children until he made enough money to get their own place to live.

They watched an old film about war and politics before he proposed. It sounds odd, but she didn’t mind. Puleng liked watching films, because just like reading, they opened up her mind. She was no intellectual; just a school dropout. However, she did know how to read and she loved how films, equally as books, opened up the imaginative side of her personality. Richard knew she liked films, so he rented one. She cuddled next to him on an old couch, her yellow dress illuminated in the dark by the black and white pictures from the television set. Puleng felt alive again.

She started the tap in the kitchen, still gazing at her husband perched in his thoughts, cleaning his gun. Puleng wondered if he was thinking about her, remembering all the good times they had. She remembered. She remembered him stroking her velvet dark skin while they were watching the film, lovingly. She remembered him wiping away her tears when she cried over the sad ending of the film.

“I love how your brown eyes sparkle in the dark, babe. What I don’t like is seeing tears in them,” he said, his deep voice empowering the room. He kissed her eyes. “There, all better.”

Puleng dumped some plates into the sink under the running water. They clinked together loudly, grabbing his attention outside. Richard looked up and his eyes met his wife’s. The gaze was so distant and cold. It was as if he was looking right through her. Puleng remembered how every look he used to give her, made it seem as if she was the only one in the world.

She believed him, when he said he’d find a place for his family. She promised to save up as well. She started taking her farming seriously. She sold beans and maize and spinach at a local market and it got her along. Richard came home every weekend. As the years went on these visits home became less frequent, because he claimed he was saving the money for a house he’d been promised. On every weekend he’d miss coming home, he’d write a letter to Puleng, a red rose drawn on the front.

Richard returned his attention back to his rifle. Puleng continued what she was doing. She did not understand why she still cared so much; why she yearned for the man she used to know to return. She forgave him the minute she found out everything. At first it was difficult, imagining him with other women, how ever many they were, throwing themselves at a married man with money. She should have figured something was wrong when he stopped coming back home or sending his letters. It’d been over two decades since he started working at the plant, he’d even stopped calling. Puleng was outraged by a man who wouldn’t even call to check on his own children. She kept it all in, and waited for him to come back, because she knew he’d come back home...one day.

Everything after that turned into a rollercoaster of events. Richard did come back after five years, asking for forgiveness from his wife. He came back aged and disgruntled looking. The smart man she knew was covered with shame and poverty. The women had taken his money, he could not maintain them with the little he made. Puleng had educated her daughters through the money she made selling her fresh produce; it had been a hit and her name radiated along the borders of the village and beyond. She took him back like she knew she would. Things were fine for the first two years and then he became scarce once again. One time he sent her a letter asking for a divorce because he claimed he’d met another woman. Puleng, the patient woman she was knew he’d come back...and he did; every time.

The last time he came back to her, he hated her. He retired from his job and he came back home, to his wife. He just walked in one day and they never talked about it. The only thing he ever said to her was how much he hated her. He blamed her for his failure, for his failed relationships. He claimed she had bewitched him into loving her and always coming back to her, even if he’d met a far more attractive and loving woman than she was. An educated, sophisticated woman, who did not waste her life working on a farm; a real woman with a real job! He said this every time he got the chance. Puleng found solace at her farm. She did not have to see him during the week, when she was among her crops.

Their two daughters were now grown women. One was at the local university, working on a master’s degree. The other, the youngest, was living with Puleng and heavily pregnant. Puleng was looking forward to having her first grandchild, maybe this child would bring the peace she’d been waiting for in her household. Their daughters resented Richard for how he treated them and their mother; Richard couldn’t care less; all he cared about was his gun.

His greyed balding head was shining in the bright of the day, under the tree. Puleng looked down and diverted her attention to washing the plates. Everything inside her, her life, her family, her marriage was empty and awkward; but she continued to allow it. Her pregnant daughter walked into the kitchen; she almost startled Puleng because she was so deep in thought. She was just grabbing something to eat before she went to lie down. She stroked her mother from the back because she sensed she was under a lot of stress.

“I’m alright,” said Puleng.

She left the kitchen and Puleng looked up outside her window again. Her husband was not there anymore. She sighed. Richard walked into the kitchen with his gun to go and store it in the pantry.

“I thought we agreed to keep that thing away from the kitchen,” said Puleng in a soft voice.

Richard did not reply, he just carried on walking. Puleng pulled the plug on the sink and the dirty dish water seeped through, with ease down the drain. She wiped her hands on a dry cloth and turned to leave the kitchen. Puleng was startled by Richard, who had been standing behind her, pointing his rifle right at her. Her body jumped a little, but then she brushed him off.

She said in a calm voice, “What’d you think you’re doing pointing that thing at me; are you finally going to kill me?”
He stood there, the gun still pointing towards her; aiming. Their daughter came in, holding an empty glass. She saw her father, pointing a gun at Puleng, her mother. She dropped the glass and it shattered all over the floor. Richard looked at her, then at Puleng and pulled the trigger. The bullet seared through Puleng’s shoulder. It all happened a little too quickly; Richard shooting his wife. Puleng fell to the ground and Richard aimed at his daughter who ran for her life screaming, pregnant as she was; he shot at her anyway. He was fixed in one position.

Puleng lay on the ground, blood seeping through her left shoulder. She did not understand what had just happened to her, but she knew that the man she loved had left her and never came back. For she remembered him, that man; her Richard, she did. She remembered when he was about to propose, how he was so nervous. His knee softly landed on a rose petal on the floor and he presented her with a gold band and asked her to marry him. He had been so modernised about the whole thing. Normally, tradition required him to have his uncles ask her family for her hand in marriage and not directly to her. She remembered jumping up and kissing him all over his face after she said yes. She remembered feeling his heart beat racing a few moments after that; his loving stare. She did not remember any hate in that picture; she had not imagined any form of hate in any picture in their life.

Puleng watched Richard walking over to her, still clutching onto his rifle. His stare was as blank as ever. Puleng was scared, but she returned the blank stare. She would not cry over this man; this stranger. Her Richard was no longer with her. She’d rather die and go and be with him, wherever he was.

Richard pointed the rifle at her again, this time aiming for her head. He hesitated, but pulled the trigger, projecting her red blood all over the floor. He shot her again, this time on her body; next to her heart and again on her stomach. He shot her over and over until he ran out of bullets. He had no expression on his face, just the same blank stare; blood dripping all over his face and drenched on his clothes. He took the butt of his gun and smashed it into her dismantled head. More blood.

It was only minutes later when people flooded Puleng’s compound worried by all the gunshots that were coming from her house. Their daughter was screaming outside; helpless.

Puleng said she’d marry him and he promised a happy ending. They danced the night away around the room, stepping on the sweet smelling rose petals scattered on the floor. She couldn’t have asked for a better man.

Spoiler! :
Thank you for reading :)
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 pm
View Likes
Starlight9 says...

Wow! That was amazing and very deep. When I decided to read this, at first I had the impression it is going to be long and boring but I would take that back. It is great, seriously, you have done a pretty good job here when you wrote this piece.

You've brought some detailed descriptions to your story well-related to the theme of your story and without adding ones that could be non necessary or just to fill the lines.
her yellow dress illuminated in the dark by the black and white pictures from the television set. Puleng felt alive again. 

> That sentence just brought the whole scene in my head.

However, I have some things to point out:
1- You overuse the semicolon (;).
like this:
She walked over to him; Richard.

not necessary to mention either the semi-colon or the name of the protagonist since the readers already know who are you talking about.

2- Using present tenses in the wrong place. You can't use present tenses in your story (which most of its scenes are already set in the past) unless it is some parts of the story are happening at the moment, of course.
It sounds odd, but she didn’t mind.
>sounded.

3- One final thing:
He stood there, the gun still pointed/being pointed towards her;

You would never imagine how much I have enjoyed reading this. Well done! = )
★L9

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:48 pm
View Likes
polinkacreations says...

Hello, here to review - as requested;)
I'll start with the little grammatical errors, and then I'll comment on the plot etc.

They’d been together for forty years, and they were more strangers to each other now, than the first time they met.
- I love this sentence, but I would replace the "and" with a "but", or its equivalent.

She did not understand why she still loved him so much. Why she hadn’t left him and moved to another village, if at all the stigma was the only excuse she was using to hold on
- here, may I suggest to join the sentence up, so it looks like this: She did not understand why she still loved him so much, or why she hadn't left him and moved to another village. She wondered if all the stigma was the only excuse... - It flows nicer, I think.

tying room in together
- don't quite understand this. Maybe, making the room seem so romantic/making the setting so romantic etc.

Puleng didn’t understand why, seeing as he barely used it. She remembered her dress, the one she wore that night.
- here, you jumped from present to the past a bit too quickly. Maybe, leave the gun until later, when you describe the present again?

She walked over to him; Richard.
- She walked over to Richard - will sound a bit better, otherwise his name seems more distant from the rest of the sentence.

the dark, babe.
- :/ I don't really like the "babe" in here. Kind of ruins the loving atmosphere, and it's a bit too modern for a couple living in the countryside. "honey", "baby", or "darling", or something else would fit a bit better, I think.

kissed her eyes.
- maybe just a kiss on the forehead will do? :D

As the years went on, these visits
- missed a little comma over here.

how ever
- spelt together - however

disgruntled looking
- either a dash in between these two words, or looking disgruntled.

She took him back, like she knew she would.
- little comma again.
woman she was, knew he’d come back...and he did; every time.

through, with ease
comma after the "with ease"

It all happened a little too quickly; Richard shooting his wife.
- this sounds a bit awkward. Get rid of the second part of this sentence.

Puleng fell to the ground and Richard aimed at his daughter who ran for her life screaming, pregnant as she was; he shot at her anyway.
- Oh my God! I was literally enraged at this moment. Very emotive writing.

Here comes the conclusion.
All I can say is WOW.
I really like the way you develop your characters, Puleng especially. It seems very realistic and captivating, I can most definetly imagine her, quite clearly, so great job on that!
I also like how you jump from the past to the present, presenting contrast between what was and what her life is now. I really enjoyed that. As I read on how romantic it was, it made me feel sadder because now he doesn't love her... :( But that only means that you've carried emotions through with your writing, which I found was also a very strong point in this piece. The imagery you use is also very vivid and realistic.

And the ending, oh gosh, the ending! It was so... unexpected, yet so dramatic!
I felt such hate towards Richard, and felt so sorry for Puleng, because she always waited for him...
Overall, you brought out very strong emotions through here. I am very, very impressed.

She couldn’t have asked for a better man.
- and this sarcastic remark at the end fits in very nicely, the flashback before she died was also very emotional.

I would still suggest to work a bit on the shooting, be careful in your choice of words.

So, overall, WELL DONE. This was actually - amazing.
Keep writing, please!
And, I hope this helped:)
polly xx
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

Since you requested. =)

Starting off with this, the first paragraph confused me. It might be because I've had a bit of a day, but I kept tripping over the words in my head and not quite getting the full scene. My only actual nitpick, after I read more and got what you were saying, is that there really shouldn't be a comma after "now" in the last sentence of the first paragraph. It sets the words on edge and is an ungrammatical break.

In the second paragraph, my advice to you would be to eliminate the word "really". In the second sentence, you have a bit of a tense issue: "blazing" ought to be "blazed" to fit in with the rest of the sentences and the punctuation you used. The last sentence confused me: I can get the general message, but the word choice and the grammar could be clearer.

In the third paragraph, after "date", the semicolon ought to be a colon to describe the date. A semicolon is to separate sentences; a colon is to lead into other ideas more closely related to the first, which may or may not be other sentences. If you read a semicolon, it should read like a comma followed by a conjunction such as and or but.

You actually use semicolons a lot, and mostly incorrectly. If you'd like, I could go through the piece and see what I can correct on my computer, then message it to you on here or something. I have a feeling that going through every nuance of grammar and punctuation in this review would end up very, very long and very, very boring and pedantic.

I think what I'll say is that I like the characterisation. I like how you make the characters and their change over time so distinct, so drastic that they aren't the same people they were forty years before. Change is a beautiful and terrible thing, and you write so emotionally that it's difficult to escape the essence of the stuff you weave into your words. For a stickler like myself, my reading experience could be improved, but in general, the piece is nice.

Your paragraph breaks are awkward. Not all paragraphs absolutely have to be five to ten sentences or however many you learned they ought to be. It would make more sense to me if you would break between each beautiful flashback and each reality check, to let the reader know.

Something else is tense. Passive past tense might be better for the flashback, or at least some parts of it, to let your readers be aware that they've crossed into flashback territory. Now, while too much of the passive voice weakens a piece of art, too little where it's required can make the piece come across as too strong and, at times, confusing. The readers may have trouble distinguishing between reality and dreams and memories.

The strength of this piece is admirable, and the ending is fantastic. The progression of events is a little rushed, but that might be because of your word choice and punctuation choices; I would fix quite a few things on the punctuation front, but that's for you to decide. I've had a bit of a long day, and this piece is the end of me: Reading makes my stress disappear. This worked wonders. Some improvements could be made to heighten the quality, but overall, fantastic.
stay off the faerie paths

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:41 am
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

Hey Ziggie.

I am so glad you posted something and all the more glad you remembered asking me. It just made me feel special. :)

They'd been together for forty years, and they were more strangers to each other now, than the first time they met.
You don't really need that red comma.

Richard had retired five years ago. He worked and lived about an hour away from the village at a water treatment plant.
Alright, so you said he had retired. Then you should mention he had worked instead of he worked. Do you understand me or did I confuse you?

I haven't read Miriam as of now, and I'll do read it later on, but right now I really don't have the time. But I know what kind of stories you write so I've got a rough idea of what you mean by referring to that story.

Alright, so I'm done with the line by line reviews, not that there was much to it, anyways. :D

This was a good piece, an excellent read. And thanks Ziggie for asking me to review because after reading this I understood how much YWS has improvised people's writing. You're one such example. I remember reading your pieces from before, the ones I used to review; they were all good. But this, my dear, was such an improvement and in itself a lovely piece. Something about the way you wrote it, the way you had this building up was so professional that for a moment it seemed like I was reading a published piece. Your imagery, description was all too good. I loved this and I have to say it's like the best piece from you till now.

But, as with every piece, this too needs improvement. Don't get scared. Overall you've done a fantastic job but there were points I personally felt were weird.

1.) I really think that the whole story in itself, though beautifully written, was a bit vague. What I probably wanna say through this is that it didn't go too well with me that a person who used to love her so much could murder her, and that too so cruelly. But yes, anything can happen in stories. But I just didn't feel too great about it. Of course I won't since there's a murder being committed, but I just feel it's weird. Maybe one way to work out this is to show him having a bit of violent history from before. Maybe he had turned a bit temperamental? Also he seems psycho to me for blaming Puleng. But I know it's his character and if he doesn't blame her, then the story's finished.

2.)I won't drag this point but I'd like to say that it sometimes confused me when you were switching times. You should perhaps go through the piece yourself. It'd be a good thing to change or alter your tenses and let them be distinguishable from one another. I think your tenses all along were same, even when time periods changed.

3.)You know when you were describing the infidelities he committed during the time he was away from the home, I really waited for some emotion on Puleng's side. You know how she felt about the whole thing. I don't mean you should tell it directly from her view, but I would have liked the story better if there were inputs on how she felt. It was like she's an emotionless doll, not feeling a bit when she's being tore. So there is it. I think there was a problem with how she felt all along the story. It was just love you described. But I think it's natural for a person to feel sad, frustrated if they're being treated like this, don't you think, even if the love is strong?

4.) The last thing I'd like you to maybe concentrate on would have to be the last few paragraphs. The ones where you have Puleng dying. You don't really describe any kind of physical pain. No hatred, no nothing. I know she's been killed really brutally from the way you explained Richard's actions but don't you think you underplayed the description of the pain? So you should add in how it hurts her when she's being subjected to the torture and plus you should elaborate on how it's so impossible for her to believe it's the same Richard she married.

Overall, I liked the story. I liked how you ended it, with a dancing scene from the story. It was kind of magical. The whole story actually seemed so great, with you connecting their past lives with the present crisis they had. So a great job done. I'll expect to see more of your writing in the future. You've got great potential and talent. I love your writing all the more because it's typical of your country and it introduces me with a different culture and it's actually fun to read it.

I really hope this helps. ^_^

~Mia

P.S. I'm sorry a day late than promised.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

556 Reviews

Reviews: 556
Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:50 pm
View Likes
ziggiefred says...

Thank you all for the wonderful input. :)
The best is what you make it!

...eh, need a review? Click me!

No, it's not that you didn't succeed. You accomplished a lot, but, if you want to touch people, don't concentrate so much on rhyme and metre. Think more about what you want to say instead of how you're saying it.
— LCDR Geordi La Forge