Young Writers Society

Stop and Stare (Part 17)

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:42 pm
Sins says...

What's happened in this novel so far:

Spoiler! :
Austin, Charlie Black's friend, is responsible for accidentally stabbing and killing Aimee Cardle. A few weeks had passed after the stabbing when the boys met Zoey Cardle and her best friend, Beth. Aimee Cardle was Zoey's sister, but no one is aware of that. Zoey, Austin and Charlie met up again some time later, and Charlie now wants to be tutored by Zoey's mum, Sophie.

In a different meeting, Charlie was speaking to Sophie about the tutoring when his brother, William, was invited into the room. Once the meeting was over, the brothers left the house to find Zoey, Beth, Jade (another friend) and Austin outside. William's made a deal with Charlie so that he gets Zoey interested in him, so William was annoyed when Charlie started speaking to her, which resulted in him making Charlie leave.

Zoey, Austin, Beth, Jade and William are currently making their way towards Austin and Charlie's neighbourhood to get some food.

Stop and Stare ~ Part Seventeen

Zoey - Continued

When we started walking again, I held my head up and made sure to concentrate on my surroundings. I was safe and I had to teach myself that. There was one problem though: a distraction. It was a distraction in the form of a buzzing sound, otherwise known as William’s voice.
“Hey, William, my lace has come undone,” I said, stopping. “Go ahead with the others. I’m just going to tie it quickly.”
William hesitated, but as I bent down to tie the lace that wasn’t undone in the slightest, he shrugged and continued walking. He hadn’t appeared to have noticed the fact that my laces were tied to perfection, which included a double not as well as the loose ends being tucked in half inside my shoe. I pretended to fiddle with my shoes until I could no longer hear his footsteps, and when I stood back up, I was relieved to see that I couldn’t spot him anywhere. Thank God, some peace and quiet. Rather chuffed with myself, I continued along the pathway. When I caught sight of them all again, I’d make sure to stand beside Beth, Austin or Jade instead of William.
I’d been wandering for a good few minutes and there was no sign of either of my friends, not even William. Nonetheless, I held back, breathed slowly and carried on pulling my feet along the forest pathway. After another couple of minutes had passed, a drop of sweat ran down my forehead. Where were they? Had I taken a wrong turning? Blooming hell, how many wrong turnings could there be? I mean, I was in a forest. I froze. I wasn't just in any old woods though, was I? I was in one that stretched for miles, and one that I very rarely even set foot in. Who knew how many different pathways there were in this place? I squinted in hope of getting a better look, but that hope was being sucked out of me as the seconds passed. All that surrounded me were trees. Trees that looked as though they'd swallowed up everything else this world owned.
Calm down, Zoey. Calm down. Calmness is key and panicking gets you nowhere. My legs were beginning to shake now, but I still forced them onwards. Oh, God, why did I have to be so careless and purposely lose track of William? Another drop of sweat ran down my forehead. My veins throbbed. I’d already been lost in this forest once... I couldn’t be lost again.
I wasn’t safe now, was I? I was on my own. A group of one.
I clenched my teeth together until I could practically feel them grinding into each other. Inhale. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. Exhale. No matter how many times I tried my breathing technique, the panic only seemed to be rising. Another drop of sweat. Where was I? Everything looked the same... just trees and mud. I started rubbing my hands together. Why had I been so foolish? This place was dangerous, and when I was on my own here, it was fatal.
Suddenly, I spotted what appeared to be a patch of light coming from the left side of the pathway. Was it...? I quickened my pace as I neared it. Yes! It was! It was an opening! Had I somehow walked in a circle and arrived back at my neighbourhood? Or maybe I was near Amber Fountains. I would have preferred it to have been the first one, but right now, even the second option was tempting. Stepping over some overgrown brambles, I clambered my way into the opening with a smile on my now sweaty face, but as I wandered further, the smile began to tug further down my lips. When I caught sight of the ocean in the distance, it was as though all of my organs collapsed. This wasn’t right. I wasn’t near Amber Fountains or the safety of my neighbourhood now. I had no idea where I was. I needed to turn back around. I had to.
There was something hard in my throat as I turned back towards the way I had come, and I soon came to realise that it was all of my emotions trying to break out of me. Where was I going to go? Would it have been best to have just kept going to see where that opening led to? My breathing was fastening and the cold sweat was trying to drown my body now. What if someone found me? Someone with bad intentions? Someone like the person who attacked Aimee. Oh, God.
“Zoey?” A hand on my shoulder.
In an instant, I let out a horrendous scream, then spun around. Just as I was about to swing for the owner of the hand, I paused with mine in mid-air. Every inch of my body that could have lit up, lit up, and I almost collapsed with relief.
“Charlie?” I stammered.
“That’s the one.” He winked at me, then paused. “You okay? You look kinda pale, Zo.”
“No, I’m fine. I just fancied a wander,” I lied. No way could I tell him that I was lost.. I quickly changed the subject. “Where is this exactly?” I asked, standing on my tip-toes to peer over his shoulder, but all I could see was the top of the shimmering ocean.
Merely standing beside someone I knew had settled the feelings in my body: the feelings that had previously been spreading manically inside of me. As Charlie’s peculiar eyes locked with mine, the worry drifted away so suddenly that it seemed to leave my emotions numb. When I lifted my hand up and rubbed my neck, I noticed that my pulse was still raging, but I could feel it slowing down every second.
Charlie’s eyes widened slightly as he smiled, causing two dimples appear on his face. “You’ve never been here before?”
I shook my head, and before I had the opportunity to say anything else, he took hold of my arm and led me towards the direction I’d only just turned away from. I was more than glad Charlie hadn’t taken hold of my hand because it was drenched in sweat. My heart still sounded as though it was beating in my head, but my pulse had become far less energetic now, which was a good sign.
“Hang on--William said you’d gone home... Do you live in a forest or something?” I asked as I dodged a pile of shrubbery in my way, and I only just managed not to touch the germ-infested leaves.
Charlie looked over his shoulder at me. “Yeah, I’m gonna do it later. I fancied coming here for a bit first.”
“Okay, well, where is ‘here’ because this is taking age--”
Within a blink of an eye, the filthy leaves and the disorderly bushes had disappeared, and placed in front of me was something that was on my doorstep, yet I’d never even heard of it before, let alone been there. Something marvellously enticing. I was at a cliff-side, but not the kind of cliff-side I had imagined in my head. It wasn’t jagged and crumbling, or a dull grey colour with patches of brown, and it wasn’t hanging over a steep drop that ended with even more rock. It was nothing like that. This cliff had a wide surface area, and the surface of the cliff itself was exceptionally flat. It was as though it had been chiselled until it was smooth enough to be able to slide over it.
As I lifted my eyes up and away from the cliff, they almost flew off the edge of it when they caught sight of what the giant rock was towering above. The drop itself was a long way down and I could see that, but if someone were to fall off the edge, they wouldn’t have collided with hard rock, but the unmoving waves of an enormous ocean. An ocean that was even smoother than the cliff’s surface, and one that was so vivid, it looked as though someone had spilled a pallet of blue paint over it. I'd been to the beach near my house, so I'd seen the ocean before, but I had no idea about this place.
All I could say was, “wow.”
Charlie laughed beside me as he jogged lightly onto the cliff. In length, it was at least twenty feet long, so there was plenty of space for someone to walk along it. In a slight daze, I followed Charlie and I myself was soon feeling the smooth rock underneath my feet. Now that I was actually standing on it, I could tell that there were uneven parts to it, but it didn’t make it seem any uglier than before at all.
“Nice, innit? It’s good if you want some quiet and you wanna think, or if you’ve gotta lot on your mind. Mum used to take me here all the time when I was a kid.” For a second, his smile faded, but the dimples soon returned. “Hey, look at this!”
Charlie nodded his head at me as a sign for me to follow him. He soon started jogging again. This time, he moved along the right side of the cliff until he reached the point where it came to a sudden end. As I looked closer though, I realised that the cliff hadn’t actually been cut off as such. There was a thin pathway that looked about just over half a foot wide, and it appeared to have been created from what was left of the crumbled rock that connected the piece of cliff we were standing on to the piece opposite it. There was no bottom to this pathway though, only a thin strip of rock connecting the gap between the two adjacent cliffs. It was like an unnervingly narrow bridge. Charlie stopped when he reached it.
“That’s a bit dangerous,” I muttered.
“It’s taking its time to break completely though.” He bent down slightly and cocked his head. “I’m determined to be here when it does.”
Charlie stood back up and strolled over to me. With a sigh, he sat down on the cliff's surface as he rested his head on one of the small growths of the rock. He was half sitting, half lying down.
“Are you gonna sit...?” He looked up at me.
“It’s, um... dirty.”
I expected him to roll his eyes at me, but instead, he said a quiet, “here.” He sat up and pulled his arms out of his jacket until it was completely off him. He then spread the jacket across the ground beside him before patting on it. “That alright?”
It was impossible to not let a genuine smile spread across my face as I sat down on the jacket. It was weird: a nice weird, but certainly unusual that Charlie seemed to be so relaxed right now. I wasn’t sure if I’d ever really seen him like this because although I couldn’t be certain if it was just me delving too far into things, he always appeared to be on edge about something. Here though, right now, he seemed happy.
Suddenly, a thought hit me. All of the things William had said earlier came splashing into my mind. Should I have said anything about what William had told me? I started scanning Charlie as the question remained in my mind. He was leaning back against the rock behind him with his eyes shut. I had to. I couldn't have bared just to leave it for me to continuously wonder.
“Charlie?”
“Mhmm?”
“Do you think I’m annoying?” I almost whispered the words.
He opened his eyes before turning his head to face me. “Huh? No, why? Am I supposed to think that?”
I chuckled. “Well, no, I’d rather you didn’t. It’s just that William said something.”
“What did he say?”
I ran my tongue across my lips. Should I have told him? I mean, if he’d actually said what William told me he had, he wouldn’t be asking me this, would he? Did William lie to me then? I glanced back at Charlie. Or was Charlie himself lying? No, I’d definitely tell him about what his brother said because I wanted to hear Charlie’s side of the story. That was only fair, right?
“He just said that you told him you thought I was really annoying, or something like that.” I shrugged.
He raised one of his eyebrows, making it look as though he was trying to restrain himself from saying something. “He probably understood me wrong. I didn’t say anything like that though, I swear.”
“So you don’t think that then?” I asked. “That I’m annoying?”
Charlie shook his head. “Nah, you’re interesting.” He began collecting some of the gravel from the cliff by circling it with his hand. “More interesting than most of the brain-dead idiots around this place. Kinda quirky, I guess.”
No one had ever called me quirky before. Come to think of it, no one had called me interesting before. I’d had weird, annoying, obsessive, paranoid, freak, weirdo, and even things like controlling, but never quirky or interesting. As my thoughts progressed, I paused them for a moment. I hadn’t ever been with Charlie on his own before, not like this. I’d only ever been with him when Austin was around, considering those two were glued together. I wasn’t sure whether it was because of his surroundings or because of the fact that Austin wasn’t around, but Charlie really did seem different now.
He was wearing a long sleeved shirt, so I was beginning to notice dirt stains piling up on the ends of his sleeves as he fiddled with the gravel. I was tempted to say something, but he didn’t seem at all bothered by them, so I left him to it. I was about to start chatting again when a vibration in my pocket made me jump. I pulled my phone out to see that I had a new message.
“Sorry, hang on a second,” I mumbled.
With a sigh, I opened the message on my phone to see that it was from Jade. For rather obvious reasons, she was asking me where I was. I was about to text back when I paused. I didn’t technically know where I was, not really. Okay, I was near the ocean, but how to actually get here was beyond me. I looked up and straight ahead of me until my eyes were set upon the calm water. I could see that it was moving now at a slow, but perfectly timed pace. Staying here wouldn’t have done any harm, right?
Now that was observing the cliff more thoroughly, I noticed that there were some lumps of rock growing out of it. They looked nothing like stony pimples, but uneven waves that had been frozen in time. There were also some areas where the rock looked as though it was growing old and maybe even crumbling, hence that rock bridge, but it only added to the quirky beauty of the landscape before me.
“So, how long have you been coming he--”
I suddenly realised that the space beside me was empty. Where on earth had he gone? I began glancing around, but my head froze completely when I started looking to my left. Charlie was standing on the narrow bridge where the cliff had crumbled over the years.
“What are you doing?” I snapped at him with my eyes wide.
“Whoa, chill out. Don’t worry, I always do it.” He took a step forward, which caused me to flinch. “Besides, considering I’m facing your way, it does mean I’ve already been across it once.”
He had a point, but that didn’t settle my nerves at all. That bridge couldn’t have been much over half a foot wide, and there wasn’t a comfortable bed of cushions waiting for Charlie at the bottom if he slipped. He took another step. Oh, God, this was doing hell to my paranoia. The sun was facing him, so the concentrated grin on his face was instantly emphasized, but it only made the anxiety inside of me grow. Another step forward. Then another. This time, when I flinched, Charlie chuckled a little.
“Zoey, trust me, I’ll be fine.”
For a moment, the strong but soft tone in his voice comforted me. But then he stepped forward again. My heart attempted to leap out of my chest. As he started walking at a faster pace across the ruined rock, my body tensed and my heart made another break for it. I couldn't look away though. Not for a second.
“What if you fall?”
“Dunno. I’d probably die or something. I ain’t ever really thought about it.”
There was a subtle smile on his face now. How that was even humanely possible was beyond me. He was making his way across a painfully narrow rock bridge that looked like it could have snapped in half at any time. Judging by the expression on his face, he couldn’t have been doing anything better. Not a single thing. The sun had hid itself behind some clouds by now, but his smile was still easily noticeable.
Charlie stepped forward. I flinched. Another step forward. I almost keeled over. My mind was yelling at me to turn away, to shut my eyes... But I couldn't. I just stared. One more step forward. As Charlie lifted his foot again, his arm flew out and his legs wobbled. I froze until he regained his balance. Oh, God, oh God. Oh, God. What was wrong with him? Did he want to get himself killed? Charlie took a smaller step forward this time. He was inches away from the stable part of the cliff now. Come on... He took one more wobbly step. My heart bashed against my rib cage. Come on... He wobbled again, but simply chuckled in response. Another step forward. Come on... One more... Come on!
The moment his feet touched the stable part of the cliff I was sitting on, every part of me exhaled a great deal of relief. He was blooming lucky he hadn’t gotten himself killed. When he sat back down beside me, all I could do was gape at him. “Well, if you’re going to risk a violent death, you may as well do it interestingly,” I muttered.
“Exactly.” He stretched his legs out. “Hey, what do you think of Will, by the way?”
“William? Your brother?” Charlie nodded in response. “Well... he’s clever... and he seems quite polite.” I made sure not to mention the way he’d rambled on about one subject for something like twenty minutes which resulted in me wanting to fall asleep.
“So you like him?” I swore there was some kind of forced tone in his voice.
“I don’t fancy him, if that’s what you mean, but he seems... nice enough. Why?”
Charlie shrugged. “No reason. You just seem like the kinda girl he likes, that’s all.” He was playing with the dirt again. “Hey, what’s up with Beth and Austin? They were eating each other’s faces off when I left.”
I laughed, and I was glad that the conversation had turned from William. “Beth always gets very... into her boyfriends, and she cries for ages after breaking up with them. Mind you, it’s kind of bizarre because she gets a new one by the time a week has passed.”
Charlie laughed as well, but I soon spotted the smile fading. “Listen, I’m sorry about disappearing and, well, all of the other stuff.” The sombre tone was creeping into his voice: the one that I hadn’t heard once since being on this cliff. “You know, the thing with Jax at the club and whatever else I’ve done. I screw a lot up, even if I don’t mean to.”
“Don’t be so harsh on yourself.” When I looked at him, he turned his attention back to the ground. “To begin with, I’m thankful for what happened with Jax. The boy’s a creep. As for the other stuff, I really have no idea what you’re thinking of. I mean, sorry to get all sentimental and corny, but you’re thoughtful.” I nodded at his jacket that I was sitting on. “You’re not arrogant or judgmental considering you’ve never insulted me about any of my weird habits, and you, well, you’re just nice. You’d be surprised at how rare that simple aspect is in people nowadays.”
Charlie gazed at me as though he’d never received a compliment in his entire life. He was silent for a good minute or so, but I noticed a smile eventually planting itself onto his lips. As the sun burst through the clouds, every single feature on his face was enhanced, but there was only one thing I could actually concentrate on. It seemed almost preposterous to not look at his eyes as the contrast between the two of them was more distinct than ever.
I’d seen heterochromia on an animal once, but I’d never seen it like this on a human before. Rather than having some flashes of different colours dotted around in his eyes, which wasn’t all too uncommon for a human, Charlie’s varied in colour completely. While his one eye was a bold green, the other was an almost clear blue, and both colours were cushioned in the white of his eyes. I nudged closer as though I was desperate to get an even closer look. Charlie’s skin was rather pale and now that I was nearer him, I could spot patches around his face where he appeared to have the remains of bruises, but those imperfections were easily dominated by his distinctive eyes: the ones that were now scanning my face.
“Your eyes are... they’re, like, wow...” I said the words without even thinking, and as I realised that I’d spoken my thoughts, the blood madly rushed to my cheeks.
“They’re Mum’s.” The way he spoke with a distant sound in his voice made it seem as though he’d just said his thoughts unintentionally like I had seconds ago.
I wasn’t an impulsive person, heck, I was the complete opposite, but what I did next had anything but thought behind it. With my stare still stuck on Charlie’s eyes, I inched even closer towards him. Then some more. My eyes were closed when I felt my warm lips brush against his. For a millisecond, we both opened our eyes, but it didn’t take long for them to close again. My heartbeat was pounding in my ears as Charlie’s lips moved against mine. Every inch of my body was tingling, and the longer his lips stayed connected to mine, the harder it became to remember to even breathe. I'd shared a few kisses with boys before, but this was entirely different to anything I'd ever felt.
Charlie brushed some of my hair off my face, then ran his fingers through it. His hands must have been awfully dirty from sticking them in the gravel so much, but to my deep surprise, I honestly didn’t care. Too bad it was over all too soon.
Looking back, it was probably a stupid time to think about it, but as the kiss became more intense, all I could think about was Aimee. She'd gone out to meet her boyfriend the night her life was stolen from her. I wondered how many times they'd kissed that night, or maybe even done something more. She'd never kiss her boyfriend again. She'd never kiss any boy again. My body was stiff and my lips were hesitant now. Everything about this kiss right now with Charlie felt right. Everything except for the way Aimee was creeping into my mind. I couldn't do this.

Click here to read STOP AND STARE (PART EIGHTEEN)
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:39 pm
View Likes
xDudettex says...

Smurf!

I love you for posting this part. I've had a bit of a crappy day today, but seeing this up made me smile, so thanks :)

being tucked in half in my actually shoe.

'my actually shoe'? Come on, Smurf ;)

the second option was even tempting.

How about trying - 'even the second option was tempting.'

began to get tugged

This sounds awkward. Maybe try - 'began to tug downwards.'

I caught site of the ocean

'sight'

towards the way I came,

Try, 'towards the way I had come,'

I lied due to the fact

I think you need a comma after 'lied'

Merely standing beside someone I knew had settled the feelings in my body that had previously been spreading manically around it.

I like what you're saying here, but the second half needs re-wording.

I dodged a load of shrubbery out of my way,

Do you mean, 'I dodged a load of shubbery in my way,'

He raised his one eyebrow,

What happened to his other eyebrow? ;) I think you mean - 'He raised one of his eyebrows,' or 'He raised an eyebrow,'

Kinda quiry,

quirky?

OMG! *Has a fangirl moment* That is what I've been waiting for! :D You have no idea how pleased I am!
But, what about Charlie's deal with William? How can Charlie make Zoey like William, when it's obvious he likes her more? Aah! You have to post more soon before I get crazy withdrawal symptoms :)

On a serious note though, I did find that some of the things in this part were worded a little awakwardly. I didn't point them all out, but I'm sure when you go back and edit, you'll find them. It's not a huge deal, just something you should watch out for when you read back through.

Also, I had a bit of a hard time imagining the whole rock/ocean place. Some of the descriptions of the rocks that you had were lovely, but you mentioned the words 'rock' and 'cliff face' and 'rock face' so many times that it just turned into a giant blur of rocks and ocean in my mind. I'd just suggest reading back through it and maybe trying to simplify it a bit. There's too much information all at once and it's a little hard to process. Another thing I had a problem with was the fact that Zoey'd never been to this place before. I mean, she may not have been to that exact spot before, but surely she'd been to the beach by the ocean, or if not a beach, the woods. It just seems that having lived there all her life, she might have at least seen a picture of it or something.

Aside from that though, I'm so happy with this part. And so the plot thickens!

Thanks for cheering me up with this :)

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:45 pm
View Likes
borntobeawriter says...

Skinsy, tis me!

“That’s the one.” He winked at me, then paused. “You okay? You look like kinda pale, Zo.”
The 'like' was too much :D

This. Was. My. Favourite. Chapter. BY FAR!

I don't know if you've edited since Anna's review, but I had no problem whatsoever understanding what was happening and where they were. Also, I don't think it's a reach that she's never gone to that neck of the woods, since there seems to be a clear delimitation between where she lives, and where Charlie lives. There are a lot of areas I haven't visited either, in my neck of the woods, so, why not?

I'm so giddy right now. The transition from friends to kissing was made smoothly, effortlessly. My only comment would be to have her wonder whether she asks him or not about being annoying before she actually asks. To show that she has it on her mind.

Other than that: perfect! Keep up the great work!

Tanya

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:50 am
View Likes
thatoddkid says...

This is the second fourth of my review. Why am I starting with the second instead of the first?

I'm cool like that.
Actually, I'm a total loser and accidentally deleted my whole review, so I just did what I remembered.

Something I said earlier but it's not in this part so I'll put it anyway: If it sounds natural to you, you're probably right and I'm probably wrong. So don't change an expression/wording because I think it sounds odd. It's just the stupid American in me.

With that being said, know that I was being picky when I went through this, as well as a bit irritated at having to do it again. I apologize for any rudeness. Also, sorry for it being all nitpicks. I forgot all the constructive stuff I said, so I'll add it later.

“No, I’m fine. I just fancied a wander,” I lied due to the fact that I didn’t want to admit to Charlie that I’d gotten lost.

-WAY too obvious. You're better than that, Skins. First off, that just doesn't work with a comma before the second quotation mark. Second, you have the whole obvious thing. Have her think something along the lines of "Like I was gonna tell him I'd gotten lost." Or say it in a different way. Something that's not so... plain. It's like you're calling us idiots. (Sorry, it just annoys me when a character "says" something like that. ["due to the fact"])

“Where is this exactly?” I asked, standing on my tip-toes to peer over his shoulder, but all I could see was the tip of the shimmering ocean.

-"tip-toes" could be "tiptoes". Also, "tip of the shimmering ocean"? "tip"? I can see a tip of a rock, a tip of a pen, but a tip of the ocean?

Merely standing beside someone I knew had settled the feelings in my body that had previously been spreading manically around it.

-Too many "ing"s, too many "ly"s. I'd suggest simplifying this or separating it into different sentences.

As Charlie’s peculiar eyes locked with mine, the worry drifted away so suddenly that it seemed to leave my emotions numb.

-Hm. I get it, but... "leave my emotions numb" bothers me. Consider different wording there.

When I lifted my hand up and rubbed my neck, I noticed that my pulse was still accelerated, but it was as though I could feel it radically slowing down every second.

-"accelerated" isn't the right word. It basically means faster, and what you mean is fast. See the difference? "radically" seems unnecessary. The fact that it's "slowing down every second" tells us that. (If you really want to keep it, I suggest putting it after "slowing down".)

Charlie’s eyes widened slightly and he smiled, making two dimples appear on his face.

-"making" sounds like he's forcing it. ("and" is awkward) "Charlie’s eyes widened slightly as [or "and"] he smiled, two dimples appearing on his face." sounds better to me.

I shook my head, and before I had the opportunity to say anything else, he took hold of my arm and led me towards the direction I’d only just turned away from. I was more than glad Charlie hadn’t taken hold of my hand considering it was drenched in sweat because that would have been overly embarrassing. My heart still sounded as though it was beating in my head, but my pulse had became far less energetic now, which was a good sign.

-This just doesn't read smoothly. I'd suggest a rewrite.

“Hang on, William said you’d gone home? Do you live in a forest or something?” I asked as I dodged a load of shrubbery out of my way, and I only just managed not to touch the dirty things.

-(What Dudette said.) A "load"? I'm pretty sure this is mostly the American thing, but even when I look past that, I just don't see that word working. Also, "dirty things" just sounds... well, dirty. I have a prejudice against the word "things", but still. Oh, and "only just" could use without the "only". (Also, I suggest: [“Hang on -- William said you’d gone home!"] or at least changing that question mark.)

“Okay, well, where is ‘here’ because this is taking age--”

-Something about the way this is phrased doesn't have it come off quite as snarkily as you'd probably like.

(Working on the rest...)

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:15 pm
View Likes
Apple says...

Alright, so I waddle in here expecting to see class A work but when I start reading with my fake glasses, eyebrows and nose and I see A +++ work instead! Now how do you think that makes me feel as a reviewer? Hmm, Skinsy? How about: a loser, unreliable, useless...maybe if you stopped thinking about yourself, you'd put some mistakes in here for me! So I can look smart! :P

But in other words another great piece Skins. I mean, you have such talent that I can see everything you say from the birds in the trees to the rocks on the ground. You have to be one of my most favourite authors on this site, and you're now my role model. When the teacher's ask who do I look up to I'll say Skins, and when they say who is that, I'll tell them it's a little yellow dude on the net.

I like the way you've brought Charlie and Zoey together in this one even though me and Charlie are getting married in a few days, may I add! Yeah, that's right, me and Charlie are engaged and if Zoey doesn't watch herself then she might take an uncertain trip into the very seas you mentioned. Mhmm, this apple is crazy! Anyways, the emotion they share really brings out their characters and tells us a little more about them. Especially when Zoey gets lost. Whimp is all I'll say. Oh, I am cruel, I know! Getting back on the track though I really feel the fear coming from Zoey, everything that you mentioned are the symptoms I get when my Mum makes me get the newspaper at eleven at night. Who knows what creepy creatures are out there on my porch though she still wants to read the "daily news". Well would you still read them if I was attacked, Mum? Probably...

Really Skins, there is nothing for me to pick up on. You have show not tell down pact, and your characters are extremely interesting and different. The grammar mistakes have been picked up on, and there weren't many, and I can see no sentence structure errors. Far out brussel sprout, that's blooming excellent. (Did you see what I just did? I said something your character did! HEHEHEHEHEHE)

Alright, now I am just rambling. I feel really useless Skinsy so next time, let's make it a bad chapter alright! FOR ME! Nah, I am joking, don't you dare. If you do I'll have to fly over to Wales, knock on your door (yeah, that's right, I know the address), and force you to watch endless reruns of Home and Away. By God, that's a terrible punishment! But do tell me when the next chapter comes out, I want to read it.

Apple.
I spy!

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:53 pm
View Likes
RacheDrache says...

Okay, Skinsies. One word. No, two words: good frogs.

I clearly haven't read enough of your writing recently, because I am in a semi-state of awe at the moment. Your characterization is something ridiculous. It was almost disorienting, how well you captured Zoey's thoughts. I felt like I knew the girl, and I haven't read the majority of Stop and Stare. I think I've only read one Zoey chapter before his. But despite that, how you captured her and put her on paper is some shade of gorgeous. I mean it. The part where she's watching Charlie come over the bridge, and the way you turn abstract feeling and emotion and picture-thought into coherent sentences. Observe Ribbit go big-eyed.

Your dialogue, too. So sincere and on-the-spot and real. I could hear the voices. I don't say that lightly. Ever. But you might as well have been spying on the two and writing down their every words.

It was gorgeous, Skins, the entire scene. I am now cringing to think of what'll happen when she finds out what Charlie did.

....which is not to imply that I don't come with critique either, because I definitely do. (Mwahahahaha.)

The main thing is that I think you can make your articulation of Zoey's thought-emotion-reaction stew work better for you. All the content was there, and now it's just sculpting time.

...I just stepped away from my computer and forgot what my strategy was going to be. Ooops. All right, take two.

One thing I notice here is a tendency to put lots of information into one sentence/capture the exact temporal sequence of something. Then again, Zoey's obsessive and so maybe she's an obsessive cataloger of movements too. Even so, though, there was that sentence somewhere...

All of the things William had said earlier came splashing into my mind as I watched Charlie lean back against the rock again while he shut his eyes.

The first part is fine, but it's the fact that she's recalling all of it as she's watching Charlie lean back and that while he's leaning back he's shutting his eyes. It's a super complex sentence, and I could show all the levels and phrases and parts to it, but that'd be boring. The important thing is just that there's a whole lot of information and exactness going on in that sentence. Reminds me of one of those logic puzzles where Jill, Jack, James, and Jenn all live on the corner houses of an intersection and each has a different color front door and the southwest house doesn't have a green door or belong to a male and...etc.

Anyway, I think you can break a sentence like that up. Maybe some of the information is unimportant.

Another example is here:

After forgetting about my phone, I turned my attention back to the landscape that surrounded me

It makes everything seem like such a chopping process. She didn't turn back to the landscape until forgetting about her phone, and that process started and ended before the turning back.

As Charlie spoke, there was a subtle smile on his face

There's the 'as' again.

While facing me, Charlie was standing on the narrow bridge where the cliff had crumbled over the years.

And the 'while.'

I turned my body around to face Charlie as I crossed my legs

I think what I'm trying to point out is just that you're trying to get pinpoint exactly what's happening and when and in what way and in conjunction with what in what order. But it's not a recipe or instruction manual, you don't need to sift in the salt while folding the egg whites.

Order of sentences is usually all the temporal alignment you need. Catch yourself everytime you go to use a 'before' or 'after' or 'as' or 'while' or 'then' and ask yourself if they're necessary or if you could phrase it a better way ('ware here the temptation to go into -ing phrases instead.) In short, I think the reliance on prepositions is making the flow sort of... weird. (This might be a Welsh influence for you. I know what whenever I read or speak a lot in German, I start trying to write English like I would in German and then my readers say, "You've got weird sentence structures going down" and I get sad because it reads normally to me! So I feel your pain.)

I think I might come back to say more about this chapter after this post, but one last thing for now. One of Zoey's anxiety attack passages and some syntax magic, perhaps:

As Charlie spoke, there was a subtle smile on his face. How that was even humanely possible was beyond me. He was making his way across a painfully narrow rock bridge that looked like it could have snapped in half at any time, and judging by the expression on his face, he couldn’t have been doing anything better. The sun had hid itself behind some clouds by now, but his smile was still easily noticeable. The moment his feet touched the stable part of the cliff I was sitting on, every part of me exhaled a great deal of relief. He was lucky he hadn’t gotten himself killed.

This was one of the spots there the emotion-thought-stew was so dead-on that I went "Whoa." It was also one of the spots where I went, "She can totally do something with that."

You could, if you so desired, throw yourself into the emotion and terror of the moment and go for the full drama with lots of short sentences and high-power verbs and the whole deal. I don't think that fits with the rest of your style, though.

You could make it more physical, and show him walking across the bridge instead of just saying that he's making his way across for it. You know, he takes another step and Zoey wants to close her eyes but can't. He takes another step. He sticks an arm out for balance and she goes ballistic. Etc. Meshing his actions with her emotions could incredibly effective, and I think that's actually what I'd advise most--get what he's actually doing in there and describing her separate reactions rather than just saying, he makes his way across the bridge and he's happy about it and she doesn't understand how.

The same thing goes for when she pretends to tie her shoe and gets lost. While I love the way you have it now, with the sort of overview glimpse about it all, which captures sort of the feel of the moment, maybe it'd be cool to get the individual parts that add up to it. Though the whole is greater than the sum of its parts...

Okay, I no longer know what I'm saying. But I do think you should break up Charlie making his way across the bridge into more than just one verb, and work in her reactions too. Keep the overall, though. There.

And... yep, I'm rusty. Need to go get some tea or something. I'll come back later, mayhaps. You know the drill, though. You have the teeniest bit of foggy about what I said, you come tell me to explain, you hear? I'm also available to have ideas bounced off, etc.

Rach.

P.S. Ribbit also loved his date with Paul. And you don't have to tell him that he's awesome any more while requesting a review. Green and lovely will do.
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:04 am
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

Heyo Skinsy, here for a review. Sorry I'm a bit late...serves me right, though, because now everyone else has gone ahead and written excellent critiques. Anyway.

First off, I have to get the squealy-fangirl-romantic part out -- d'awww they kissed! ^_^ They're so sweet together, especially Charlie -- oh geez, I'm getting all anxious thinking about the potential fall-out when Aimee's death is revealed. But I'm not going to let that take away from this scene...it was so well done! It felt natural and not at all weird; they've got enough background and each of them has mentioned a sort of attraction to the other, so it didn't come out of the blue. Conversely, it also didn't seem too overdone, which is definitely a good thing.

Aside from that scene, the rest of the chapter felt a little...awkwardly worded. Compared to your previous chapters, this one felt like it kind of limped along, before picking up right at the end. I think it's more of a technical issue than a substance one, though, meaning that with a bit of rearranging and whatnot, it'll sound smoother and more in keeping with your former rhythm.

Also, I had trouble figuring out how Zoey got lost in the woods and ended up where she could see the ocean, and then how Charlie took her to the cliff above the ocean itself...it all seems pretty abrupt. I was under the impression that they left their neighborhood, took a shortcut through the woods (on a trail of some sort), and would end up near town. These woods sound like a much bigger deal than that, though. Perhaps you could add some kind of description as to how large it is, and give us a bit more of an idea of the topographical area, so the idea of an ocean beyond the forest isn't so surprising.

The cliff itself seems a bit off; of course, I'm no good at picturing things in my head, so it could just be me, but when you were describing the bridge I really didn't have a clear picture of what Charlie was walking over. I'm thinking now that it's a thin strip of rock connecting a gap between two adjacent cliffs? Sorry I'm so dense and can't get a good idea of it.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say. I know I sounded really naggish about the details, but honestly, I really liked this chapter, especially the ending. I can't wait to see what you've got next. :D Keep up the great work!
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:31 pm
MiaParamore says...

Hey Skins. Gosh, I guess it's been ages since I last reviewed. Since you've posted so many parts together I won't be reviewing each one but just giving a sort of small info on each chapter, if possible.

He hadn%u2019t appeared to have noticed the fact that my laces were tied to perfection, which included a double not as well as the loose ends being tucked in half inside my shoe.
Can see her OCD clearly in this. The way she takes a minuscule thing and over elaborates it.

When I caught sight of them all again, I%u2019d make sure to stand beside Beth, Austin or Jade instead of William.
This part actually confused/irked me. No offence but straight after we read this line we get an impression that she's already seen her friends but in the simultaneous part she's shown still looking for them, so there's a problem here in this sentence. You're too wise for all that and I don't wanna tell you the right thing. You go figure yourself. :P

I%u2019d already been lost in this forest once... I couldn%u2019t be lost again.
This is the point I'd like you to maybe work out a bit on. When she's lost she gets all kind of things in her head except for this really important one. I mean, it is scary enough to be lost in a forest with no sense of direction about it, and on top of that she has got the honour of getting lost in a place where she had been on the night her sister was killed. So, I'd naturally expect more reaction. I know you did bring this point in here, but seriously, though you could add in more.

Another drop of sweat. Where was I?
Now this is another problem. I read through the chapter and the part before this particular line and you have used this same line twice or thrice. I am not sure if it was all intentional because if it was it didn't make a great impact. I know you want us to feel her problem but I can't help be distracted by this repetition. You could alter the same emotion in some other form, maybe? Maybe something like this: I could feel something wet trickle down my cheeks with same question booming in my head. Where was I? You can definitely pull up something better than this, but I just wanted to give an example. :D

I asked as I dodged a pile of shrubbery in my way, and I only just managed not to touch the germ-infested leaves.
Tribute to me? :lol:

Well, I would just leave short comments, and not go on ranting. :)
Overall:

What I liked about this chapter was how their relationship finally emerges. I think now we're seeing plot coming out, and from the looks of it, I think it's going to be one hell ride of a roller coaster. I can't wait to spare some time and read more, but until then I'll have to keep guessing what happens next.

Well, even though people would say it was the most important and intense chapter after the death scene, I still didn't find it that good. No doubt, your writing was really good and the way you described the cliff was mesmerising. I really felt with each word I write if I'd ever be able to write that good. If I'll ever be able to pull off something that brilliant. So, I am not saying that this chapter wasn't good, but there's this one problem I guess I have.

Like many romantic stories, those silly head over heels ones, the place of the kiss and the moment was all to romanticised about. I know kisses are supposed to be glorified and all that stuff, but what I felt weird was that maybe the place they have this moment was way too pretty, you know just like fairy tales. It could, well, seem a bit superficial. With the hard, realistic novel this is I just felt it was too perfect. I won't deny the fact that this all seems so pretty and good to read about, but I just think it seems a bit out of reality. Sorry, I am maybe just confusing even more, but my point is that kisses in books are generally in beautiful place, somewhere out of the ordinary, so I am just saying your scene might just look like that. Gosh, I can't explain you what I mean which is kind of driving me nuts. So, sorry.

On my short second part, I think people might be reminded of New Moon when they read about cliff and all that stuff. Maybe there have been more writers which have used such scenes before, but I guess it's Twilight which has made the scene such a massive success. So, people might relate this scene to that one, even though here's no one actually trying out the stupid scene, well of course for Charlie, but he's not really done it. Or has he? I hope I didn't miss out something important.

This wasn't favourite of my chapters, but nonetheless it was good. As I said before I would just drop a comment, I'm doing that only. :)

Best of luck, and sorry for confusing you.

Mia
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

Imagine if everybody had a little Wii sports Mii to say "Great Shot!" everytime they did something right.
— TheMythMaster