Young Writers Society

Secretly loving you.

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 am
Error404 says...

Spoiler! :
Hey guys, Error404 here!

I drew this picture on the tropical beaches of Phuket, Indonnesia. Just me, my art pens and a pineapple smoothie- oh, yeah... I swear, it took 6 hours to draw…. My hand was having a seizure by the time I was finished. I guess I had a lot on my mind that day, since I absolutely despise drawing/seeing/talking/smelling/writing anything to do with romance. Call me cold hearted, I just don't like lovey-dovey affairs; even the title makes me shudder. But, on that particular day I guess I was just... reminiscing?

Moving on from those nostalgic sentiments, feel free to tear the picture to pieces (not literally) and give me a much feedback as you feel necessary!
All is greatly appreciated! :)
~ Error404

(c) 2011.

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:03 am
View Likes
SmylinG says...

I absolutely love this. This reminds me of artwork from the Jibberish and Rhyme children's book. Only so much better. All the patterns and textures and the chaos included, it's perfect. The black and white is great. I have no words other than you have absolute talent. :) You'd probably be great at designing cover art for cd's and cards and magazines and storybooks. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, IT. You should post more of your art in this style. I think it'd be a hit. Keep up the great work!
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:23 am
View Likes
BoZi says...

What media, may i ask?
Looks like linocut or pen...
Done reaaallly welll
Composition is brilliant, cool symbolism
You should DEFINETLY attempt this again in colour.. Try Reds, Greys and black.. white writing (on the diary)
I love it. This would look reallly amazing if you added shading/ tones to the figure. It looks a bit flat right now.
We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

Reviews: 4
Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:03 pm
View Likes
harleighblake says...

This is absolutely beautiful! I thought this was amazing. My eyes got lost in it. You know its a good piece of art when it keeps your eyes flowing around the whole paper and not in just one area. This reminds me of Alica and Wonderland a little bit. I guess because of the girl and all the stuff around her. Thank you for sharing this beautiful piece of artwork with us all!
~needs some good writers for an online newspaper*! Message for more info *harry potter related~

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:28 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

The textures in this are absolutely amazing, and you have an excellent eye for contrast and composition balance. In particular, the details on the pillows and lace in her skirt are just wonderful, as is the arrangement of the objects around her feet. And the best part is that you obviously took the time to ensure each line was perfectly placed rather than scribbling just to finish; it gives this piece so much more depth and detail.

That said, some of your lines were not as well-placed as they could have been. For instance, in the pillow to the right and above her head, at the very top, the diagonal strokes are at a different angle, which looks very odd. While I can see that it might have been an attempt to show curvature, it looks odd to the regularity of the diamond's outlines. Small strokes of cross-hatching would have been a better way to show the curvature.

Similarly, the strokes on the ribbons don't correspond to the folds indicated by their outlines and the large one around her waist is rather swallowed up in black. I suggest practicing more with drawing ribbons until you get a feel for their texture and values.

Now, the main issue with this is the girl's anatomy, specifically of her hand, face, and legs. I've drawn over the original so you can better see, with red for outlines and blue for joints/bones:

Spoiler! :
sleeping21redline.png
sleeping21redline.png (628.37 KiB) Viewed 466 times

From top to bottom, the proportions and angle of her face were off. The eyes are located half-way between the top of the skull and the chin, the base of nose is located half-way between the eyes and the chin, and the mouth is located about 1/3 of the way below the nose. Currently, the features have equal spacing between them and at an angle which doesn't correspond to the tilt of the head, which looks odd.

Her neck is a touch long, mainly due to her shoulder being so far down, but that's not bad in itself; I just outlined it so you could better see where the angle of the head tilt comes from.

The hand as currently drawn looked like it had six fingers, mainly because the thumb was so high. The base of the thumb is located just above the wrist, with the tip coming up to just above the first knuckle. At the angle the hand is at, though, we wouldn't be seeing the thumb in any case. Leaving out the thumb leaves more room for the other four fingers, and it looks neater and more natural.

Now, the legs are where the biggest issue lies. If you compare the distance between the hip joint to knee, and then knee to arch, you'll see that each leg has very different distances between them. As a result, the placement of the legs looks very unnatural, though the skirt hides it from being immediately obvious.

The leg nearest us is proportionate, with the distance between hip to knee and knee to arch being about equal. If you were to modify the second leg to match, you'd find the angle of the foot to be much steeper.

If you don't already do so, it always helps to lightly sketch out the basic proportions in pencil before inking so that mistakes like these can be easily corrected early on.

Lastly, I changed the border color to true black. Right now, you have a greyish border, and that just looked strange considering that the picture itself is purely black and white.

Overall though, very impressive, and I admire your patience.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:56 pm
View Likes
Slone says...

This was a VERY nice drawing! I can't imagine having enough dedication to sit around for 6 hours drawing a picture! This kind of art takes extreme patience and controlled! Its obvious that you have mastered both of those skills! You used so much detail! I really liked how her hair is all frizzy! It makes the girl seem almost obsessed with this seceret love! It really deepens the pictures overall feel! Although, I wasn't a big fan of the heart on her shoulder. I don't know why, but it just didnt look like it belonged there. But other than that, I think you have done an absolutely wonderful job! Keep creating!!!
"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear"
-Winnie the Pooh

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:29 am
View Likes
Daisuki says...

I love this. It is a beautiful and very detailed piece - wonderful. The only things I can think of to comment on are the shape of her face and the hands... but other than that I love, love, love this. The detail... amazing.
Thanks for posting this,
Dai
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:58 am
View Likes
summerlovee says...

Oh my gosh. This is so excellent, great, awesome
and hepas more just I can't think of any :P
I can't believe you did this by hand for 6 hours!
The only thing I would do for 6 hours straight is reading xD
Anyways I must say all the effort paid out, this is
so good! I love it (:
<3
Linger on, your pale blue eyes

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:11 am
View Likes
cali34rniasummer says...

- wow, wow, wow! :D I dunno what makes me soo in love with this one :D *speechless*
Every day is beautiful with a little arm stretch and a smile :)

350 Reviews

Reviews: 350
Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 am
View Likes
Jenthura says...

Excellent crosshatching! I can never get that in my drawings.
Aside from that (and what Kyllorac said) you've done an awesome job. *likes*
-ж-Ж-ж-

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:09 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

For some reason this reminded me of a deck of cards, and more specifically of Alice in Wonderland...go figure.

:)

Good job!

~Blue

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:35 am
View Likes
BrooklynWriter says...

This is amazing. So amazing it's unfare. <rips up and throws away> What have I done? <tapes peices together and puts up on a wall.> Much better...

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:17 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

Hey, Error --

This is frickin' amazing. I could stare at it all day! I love how it looks like the children's book illustrations -- it reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, although I have no idea whether the illustrations in it look anything like this one. I especially love the hair and the lace in the dress. I think her face and feet could be more delicate, though -- at the moment they look a little "burly", even. It would fit in better with the general atmosphere and style of the picture.

You are an incredible drawer!

Demeter
x
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 pm
View Likes
Jennya says...

Pretty dam amazing, the amount of effort that must have gone into this blows my mind, i wish i had six hours and the resolve not to procrastinate. Since it's so dam amazing there is nothing much i can say. I really love your style, it was chaotic but not to chaotic. I tend to be a sketchy person so pen is not my forte.
The only issues i have are with the feet, the shadowing doesn't work and they look strange and out of proportion. The also isn't to great, i wouldn't usually care about this but everything else is so perfect. Your hands where quite good alothugh the pinky needs work.

Fantastic, I bow down to your detailed artistic glory.
Stay gold, Ponyboy - S.E. Hinton

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:35 am
Error404 says...

Good day, everyone!

Firstly, allow me to say a massive, gigantic, ENORMOUS thankyou to everyone who posted! I was completely overwhelmed with the kindness shown by everyone here and I deeply and truly appreciate it from the depths of my heart. <3
I was hoping to say a special thanks to each of you individually on your profile, but unfortunately I have very limited time (exam week) so I'm afriad this message will have to suffice until I'm free of school- which continues to drag on endlessly...

Once again, hug and kisses to everyone who posted- you're all super, mega awesome! X'D *chucks flowers, boxes of chocolate and keys to a sports car*
Until next time,
~Error404

P.S. Anyone who can decipher the picture gets extra hugs! <3

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson