Young Writers Society

March Hare, November Wolf (1)

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:46 am
View Likes
Twit says...

There was a tune stuck in my head. I always seemed to have a tune stuck in my head these days.

my ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea all laden with presents for you and me

I didn’t know where China was, but it sounded interesting.

‘Where’s China?’ I asked Ma.

‘Don’t know, never heard of it,’ she said. ‘Maybe it’s part of Rome. Where did you hear the name?’

‘I dreamed it,’ I said.

‘Oh.’ Her smile vanished and she thrust her hand down into the sack of chicken feed. She bought out a fistful and sprinkled it in the little saucer in the chick box. The chicks scrambled over each other in their eagerness to get at the food, pecking at their toes and at each other’s eyes and heads by mistake. Watching them, Ma’s smile came back, but it was a little thin around the edges.

I put down the dish of clean water, and smiled as the chicks rushed around my hand. ‘They’re like water,’ I said, wanting the waver of Ma’s smile to go away. ‘You know, when you put your hand in water and move it and the water moves as well.’ I looked up hopefully.

She did smile, then, a proper smile, like she used to do. She put her hand on my shoulder, and I could feel the bones of her fingers through the fabric of my dress. The warmth from the fire washed over my face, and I closed my eyes, seeing the strange purple flashes that it made against my eyelids. Like the ghosts of real light, I thought, or the echoes of it.

‘Can light ever die?’ I asked.

‘I don’t know,’ Ma said. ‘That’s a silly question.’

‘Why?’

‘Because what does it matter?’ She squeezed my shoulder and got up; her skirt brushed against my face and left me with an echo of her scent: smoke and flour and herbs. She went to the table and, after wiping her hands on the cloth, tipped out the ball of dough from the mixing bowl and began rolling it out on the table. I watched her; my hand was still in the box but the chicks were busy in the dish of chick crumbs and my fingers lay limp and alone in the sawdust.

‘Dara, can you finish washing the hearth stones?’ she said. ‘We’ve got to finish the cleaning before it gets dark, and you know Pa doesn’t want us to waste the candle.’

The bucket was by the door, the rag lying like a twisted brown worm over the side. I looked in, saw the bottom of the bucket and my stomach lurched. ‘There’s no more water,’ I said.

‘There’s the wash basin,’ Ma said quickly.

‘That’s empty.’

There was a pause that seemed to go on forever, but all too quickly, Ma said, ‘I’ll go get some more water, then. You stay here and—’ She looked at her dough-covered hands, at the sunset outside, and her mouth clenched tight like a fist.

‘I’ll go get it,’ I said.

‘Dara—’

‘I’ll get it,’ I said lightly. ‘It’s only a little walk. It’s not like anyone’s going to bite me. The Saltmans have their dog tied up now.’

‘Dara, I said—’

‘I’m a tiger, Ma.’ I grinned at her white face. ‘I’m a tiger defying the laws of gravity.’ She looked as though she were about to cry. I stretched my grin even wider, snatched the bucket and pushed open the door.

It was cold outside, and the mud squelched between my toes. I lifted my dress, the bucket banging against my knees, and my ankles looked white and bony in the gathering twilight. I could feel people watching me; children in doorways stared at me as I passed, and the occasional shutter creaked as someone behind it stuck out a curious nose for a look.

‘Like Lady Godiva,’ I murmured, but that was the wrong tune, it wasn’t the one still running through my head.

my ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea all laden with presents for you and me

I passed the Saltmans’ cottage and saw their dog lunge against its rope, barking a million curses in my direction. I stopped, rocked forward on my toes and stuck my tongue out at it, smiling what I hoped was a successful sneer at it, and at any of the Saltmans who happened to be watching. ‘No presents for you,’ I said pleasantly, and the dog’s growls became hoarse and frenzied.

I could hear the discordant boil of its thoughts, a growing storm of red get you, kill you, grab your guts, you’re not right, not right, not right, crush your bones until you piss your stinking blood.

‘You’ll suffocate,’ I told it, and danced a few steps in the mud. ‘And then who’ll bark at me and eat my ankles? I hope you know, it’s almost healed up now. It only bleeds when I pick at the scabs.’ The dog’s ears snapped back on its head and the whites of its eyes rolled up at me with ferocious hatred.

I smiled at it, did a curtsey to the watching Saltmans and carried on down the path. There was a knot in my throat that confused me; I wanted it to be anger, because it was easy to be angry at the Saltmans, and at Esther Saltman, who had been my friend and now threw stones and mud along with all the others; but I kept on thinking of Ma’s tight, white face, stretched thin like a bed sheet, and then the knot grew tighter until it hurt and my blanket of anger wavered.

There was no one at the pump, and it looked a little lonely, a dark little island surrounded by houses whose windows glowed warmly gold in the dusk. When I touched the handle, it sent a chill all through my body and down my back and I shivered. I balanced the bucket on the edge and looked up at the sky. The tops of the houses blocked the best of the sunset, and all I could see of it were a few streaks of rosy gold stretching up above the smoking chimney pots into the darkening navy of the sky. A few stars pricked their way through and twinkled like sunlight on water. That must be what gems look like, I thought, God’s gems. The thought was a pretty one and it loosened the knot in my throat so I could swallow again and take a proper breath.

Crows coughed like old men in the bare trees in the fields around the village, and as I watched, one of them took off from its branch, a black blot of ink dribbling across the beautiful sky. I stuck my hand into a fold of my dress and made the sign against evil before sucking down a lungful of air so cold it hurt my teeth. My toes were suddenly freezing in the clinging mud and I heaved the bucket up and dumped it in the water trough.

I heard the squelch and suck of bare feet on the path, and looking up, saw a girl coming out from between the houses. She swung a bucket in her hand and was looking at the ground, and the sound of her humming carried clearly through the still cold air. I froze in spite of myself, and my hand clenched on the bucket handle.

She came closer and the tune in my head grew louder, as though to combat the one that she sang.

my ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea all laden with presents for you and me they brought me some shoes just imagine my bliss as I tapped my toes gaily like this like this like this

I realised my fingers were drumming against the bucket’s wooden sides and forced myself to stop. The rhythm only went deeper, throbbing inside my head like a pulse.

my ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea all laden with presents for you and

It was Enid Strahan and it was only now that she looked up and saw me. She stopped and the bucket thudded against her thigh. ‘Oh!’ she said, and puffed out a gasp.

I bared my teeth in a grin. ‘Hello, Enid.’

‘I—Dara, I—’ She darted a glance around her.

I was suddenly conscious of faces pressed against windows, of the creak of opening doors, of Murdo and Pwll Lang creeping forward out of their doorway and standing with their fingers in their mouths, staring expectantly.

‘You can go first,’ I said, and took a few steps back from the pump.

‘N-no, I—You go, you finish, you were here first.’ She ducked her head and stared at the ground. She was like a cat, poised at the sight of a dog, ready to turn and flee if the dog suddenly bared fangs and sprang.

The knot was back in my throat, hard and bony. ‘Oh no,’ I said, and my smile hurt my cheeks. ‘Sensible people before the mad ones, please.’

‘Dara, I don’t...’

‘Of course you do,’ I said pleasantly. ‘Everyone does, and you never were one to swim upstream, Enid.’

Her head snapped up and she glared at me. ‘What do you know about me, Dara Redfield? You don’t know anything, you don’t know what I’ve said, what I’ve—’ She bit off the rest of her sentence.

‘And what have you said, Enid? Do tell me, I’d love to know. What have you said about Dara Redfield, the mad girl of Encotte?’ The tune was pounding in my head, words and music getting muddled up with other words, other music, words and music that didn’t exist with Enid’s song and couldn’t exist here. I didn’t hear what she said; I clenched my teeth tight together and struggled to keep my anger back. The knot was choking me, I couldn’t breathe.

my ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea all laden with

‘Where is China?’ My voice sounded hoarse.

Enid was staring at me, and her face reminded me of Ma’s, pale and frightened. ‘China?’

‘My ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea.’ The words leaked out of my mind and into my mouth and I couldn’t stop them. ‘Where is it, Enid? Where’s China? Is it anywhere except in my head?’ Enid took another look at my face and turned and began to walk quickly away.

I dropped the bucket back in the water trough, and the clang it made sent her scurrying into a trot. I gripped the cold pump handle, feeling the metal dig into my palm and crush the blood in my fingers. I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t think, the only words running through my head were the words of the song.

my ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea all laden with presents for you and me they bought me a fan just imagine

Please no, I managed to think. Not here. Ma’ll be so cross.

Slowly, painfully slowly, the pounding died away. I was hanging over the water trough, gripping the pump handle so tightly my hands hurt. My eyes were scrunched shut, and I opened them self-consciously. I was shocked by how dark the sky was. Pa would be home soon, and Ma still wanted the window cleaned. The song was still lurking in the back of my head, but there was room for my own thoughts now. I took a deep breath and lifted the pump handle and water gushed into the bucket, making dark and mysterious depths inside the old and stained wood. My face made a pale blur in the swirling water as I lifted the bucket up and rested it on the side of the trough. It was heavy and the handle dug into my palms.

‘Mad girl!’

The shout was shrill and sudden. It hit me like a fist in the stomach and I jumped like a shot rabbit, my hand jerking the bucket so it fell, drenching me in freezing water and rolling away on the ground. Murdo and Pwll had come out of their doorway and been joined by more children, dark nameless shapes that loomed up out of the dark like demons. I ran after the bucket and as I caught it, a clot of mud hit me in the face and they all yelled like hunting dogs.

‘Mad girl! Mad girl! Mad girl! Mad girl!’

I began to run, the empty bucket seeming huge as a house and getting caught between my legs. They sprang at me out of the shadows, hands grabbing at my dress and tripping me up, their faces and hands fluttering and blurring in front of me like waving handkerchiefs and their voices rang in my ears until I couldn’t hear anything, only the tune beating in my head until it spilled out of my mouth and into the world where it didn’t belong.

Somewhere I thought I heard Ma screaming for them to leave me alone, that I didn’t mean any harm, I didn’t, I didn’t, I didn’t know what I was doing.

‘Mad girl! Mad girl!’

A foot caught my ankle and I fell. The bucket rattled away and I curled into a ball, my arms wrapped around my head. My face was wet and I could taste blood on my tongue.

‘Mad girl!’

my ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea all laden with presents for you and me they brought me a fan just imagine my bliss as I fanned myself gaily like this like this like this like this like this

The world faded, the children vanished, and I saw nothing, heard nothing except the songs in my head.

Comments on everything, please, but especially the characters, whether this works as a first chapter and makes you want to read more, and whether you understand what's happening, lol.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:57 pm
View Likes
HostofHorus says...

"Hey there TL G, Horus here for a review!"

(I take a seat...) Sorry, I'm here to review, forget Horus, he never shuts up... Anyway, human Host of Horus here to review....

First off I want to thank you for giving me my first review! Even if it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. :) I'm assuming you saw my way of reviewing. Maroon=Likes Purple=Questions/suggestions Red=Grammar errors and then whatever, though I probably won't use much of that with thing....

Grammar: I don't think I really saw any gramatical errors. It looks like you have combed through it pretty well and picked all the grammatical errors out. So No real comment here. Did you mean to say this though?
I didn’t, I didn’t, I didn’t know what I was doing.
It was just a little bit odd to me. If it is stammering maybe use semi-colons? ;... anyway that was about it as far as that is concerned.

Likes: I love your use of dialogue and metaphors. The metaphors really helped to paint some pictures and the dialogue really helped to make the story interesting.

Suggestions and questions:Well, I had a few questions, like what is the setting? How do you pronounce the names? Why don't they know about China? (could be explained with setting) What does the Main Character look like? (I think this could be added towards the beginning when she is talking to her mom.)Why are they making fun of Dara? And what is significant about the song? Now I'm sure some of these will be answered later, but I still think it would be nice to have the setting, and a picture of the main character in the first chapter. ["Don't forget the names."] Oh, and how to pronounce their names! ["Thank you Horus.) Umm in terms of the song, unless it is like a real song, I think it would sound better if it said,
my ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea all laden with presents for you and for me
That is just my poetic side kicking in. I feel like it flows better that way, and sounds better.

Overall: I wish there were a little more explanation as I stated above. That said, I didn't have many problems at all with this piece besides the vagueness. I'm sure there will be more to explain later in the book, but I wish it had some in the beginning so that the reader weren't so confused. The writing was nice, and the description of the things you chose to describe was great. The dialogue was great. The story was good. I just wish I had an inkling what it was about....

Hope you don't hate us! Thanks again for the request, and I hope I helped out! PM me with any questions you have, or even if you want to tell me how much this didn't help you!

-HostofHorus
HostofHorus Author, Poet, Dreamer, and Expressionist.
http://JRSStories.com
Stories Poems © As of January 1st 2014

Need a review? Feel free to ask me! :)

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:01 am
View Likes
Rascalover says...

Hello there,
Thank you for requesting a review :)

The main thing about my reviews is that I tend to be a nit-picky grammar nazi, but I combed through your story and really couldn't find grammar mistakes that haven't already been mentioned. I see that you noticed I didn't like reviewing fantasy, but I have got to tell you this seemed more like realistic fiction to me. That's probably because you still have tons of explaining to do on the plot. I loved your ability to use description, and the feel of your first chapter. If you ever need another review feel free to ask :)

Have an awesome day,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:52 pm
View Likes
megsug says...

Hey,
Thanks for the request and sorry it's taken me a while to get to it. I've had a lot of projects lately. I was pulled into this chapter. You have a great foundation.

“I’m a tiger, Ma.” I grinned at her white face. “I’m a tiger defying the laws of gravity.”
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. It sounds a little familiar, but I don't know what she's referencing, if anything.

“Like Lady Godiva,” I murmured, but that was the wrong tune, it wasn’t the one still running through my head.
This is a run-on. You need a period where the third comma is.

I could hear the discordant boil of its thoughts and winced a little. “You’ll suffocate,” I told it
What? The vagueness here is fine here, this being the first chapter, but I don't understand what's going on here. What did she hear the dog thinking?

I was suddenly conscious of faces pressed against windows,
I think you forgot the the before faces. Maybe not?

My toes were suddenly freezing in the clinging mud and I heaved the bucket up and dumped it in the water trough.
“You can go first,” I said, and took a few steps back from the pump.
It sounds like she already started using the pump here, but then she leaves. It doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe I'm picturing something that isn't what you're describing.

Please no, I managed to think. Not here. Ma’ll be so cross.
This makes me wonder what's going on. I think it's great. I think you should definitely keep the mystery.

Slowly, painfully slowly, the pounding died away.
To me, the -ly ending words right beside each other sounds awkward.

Murdo and Pwll had come out of their doorway and been joined by more children, dark nameless shapes that loomed up out of the dark like demons.
It seems like they were afraid of her while they were watching her walk down the road.

I heard Ma screaming for them to leave me alone, that I didn’t mean any harm, I didn’t, I didn’t, I didn’t know what I was doing.
Does Ma think Dara is crazy?

My face was wet and I could taste blood on my tongue.
You have great grammar. The one mistake I could find only, you get it right more than you get it wrong.
Here, you need a comma before the and because you have two independant clauses on both sides with two different subjects. That happens a few times throughout. Just keep an eye out for them when you're editing.

That's all I could find. I'm definitely interested, and if you need a review for the second chapter, just ask.
Megsug
Test

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:32 pm
Dreamwalker says...

Hey there! Dream here with a review, as requested!

So, since this piece is pretty big, I'll give it my five sectioned review ;D. It consists of; Grammar and Punctuation, Plot, Setting and Description, Character, and lastly my Overall. So, on with the show!

Grammar and Punctuation:

“Don’t know, never heard of it,” she said.

The comma, in proper grammar, should be a semicolon because its two different sentences. In this case I'm not to picky cause its dialogue.

Her smile vanished and she thrust her hand down into the sack of chicken feed.

Okay, so, here you have two very different things going on. It could, in all probability, be two sentences. The and does connect them in a way that would be grammatically correct, but because the line is so different, you should use a word like 'as' or replace and with a period.

I put down the dish of clean water, and smiled as the chicks rushed around my hand.

Comma's not necessary.

She did smile, then, a proper smile, like she used to do.

The second comma should be a semicolon or a period.

I watched her; my hand was still in the box but the chicks were busy in the dish of chick crumbs and my fingers lay limp and alone in the sawdust.

You might be wondering why I chose to quote this. Well, in this case, you used two semicolons in the same paragraph. Try not to use anymore than one semicolon per paragraph or it looks wayyy overdone.

She looked at her dough-covered hands, at the sunset outside, and her mouth clenched tight like a fist.

Does she look at her hands then the sunset outside? You might want to specify this.

Okay, so anything I pointed out does have reoccuring mistakes throughout the piece. If you should like me to fine-comb it, I could do that for you no problem!

Plot:

This is where you were strong.

This first chapter was interesting, eye-catching, and the best part of all, it made me excited to read more. You gave a great inciting incident. What I would like to see is more! I can't wait to read the next chapter!

Setting and Description:

You give good descriptions of what the characters do, which is good and something that a lot of young writers forget about. I also understand that this is a first chapter and you don't want to scare readers away with big descriptions, but a we hardly know what Dara looks like nor the place she comes from. We get a good glimpse into character, but not a lot into setting. This is the section you could definitely improve on, but you have a good start.

Characterization:

This section is rather interesting specifically because, even though this is the first chapter to a novel, you give a bit of an insight into the character right away so we almost know what to expect of her and we feel sympathy for her almost right away. Its nice to see that. What I would like to see a bit more is a little depth into the characters emotions. This should come with time and more chapters. Just that, from what I could tell, she gets angry and flustered, yes, but we don't see it as much as you think someone would feel about having a clod of dirt thrown in their face.

You chose to go first person on this piece of fiction. Give us that internal insight into the character or go to third. Thats why first person is seen as a really hard stylization to write.

Overall:

You have an interesting beginning to this piece, and you left it off on quite the cliff-hanger! I, myself, can't wait to figure out what happens to Dara. Will she come out of this alright? Will her father be angry? Is there reason why shes connecting herself with our world and not the world she belongs to? I love that idea and I really can't wait to see what you have in store for your readers.

That and your are very very strong in attracting a reader into your stories. For that I give this a thumbs up for a grade A piece of fiction, and I hope you continue on! I'm sure I'll be back with another review if you post the next chapter ;D.

Tata!
~The.Dreamwalker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 am
View Likes
Phaix says...

Okay, I have to say to start off, that I really enjoyed this. I usually avoid longer pieces, but this was no chore at all to read and I felt gripped all the way through. I must admit that I only briefly glanced over the previous reviews so forgive me if I do repeat anything that has already been said.

Firstly, being picky, the lines of the song should always begin with a capital letter. I also think that there should be a break in the line as well, so that it flows like a lyric rather than a sentence that happens to rhyme. For example, it could appear on the page like this;

"My ship sailed from China with a cargo of tea,
All laden with presents for you and me..."

I think this makes it seem like a more infectious, jaunty tune. I think that this would also apply when you extend the line of the song.

I also noticed that when the MC is having the exchange with the dog, it is as if she is speaking out loud to it. I think this is what you meant, but I felt a little confused when, later in the piece, she is thinking to herself and she does not speak out loud. I think it would be good to keep a consistency; so that is she is having a concise thought that can be put in a sentence, that maybe she does say it out loud. It will also add to the sense of her being a little bit loopy!

The exchange with the dog is fantastic, by the way.

Other than that, I did not come across any major grammatical errors, although I would suggest that you keep an eye on how may similes you use. You don't over use them, as such, but there was one point where the word "like" was repeated a few times in one sentence. I do exactly the same thing, but even worse I think! Your writing is lovely and evocative, and you don't need to always be pushing for another exciting way to describe something.

In general, on the piece in terms of characters, setting etc, I found that it was a little vague (as is mentioned in a previous review) but I did not see this as a bad thing. I think it sort of adds to the sense of madness - as nothing seems quite concrete. It reflects the MC's state of mind, I think. Obviously, the setting will gave to be made more clear later in the story, but as it stands at the moment, I thought it worked well.

The character herself is interesting, but I have a few questions about her, mostly to do with physical descriptions. I am usually one who is hot on descriptions but actually, I thought it didn't need too much more. I'd like to know a little more about how she looks, and about how Ma looks as well. I doesn't need to be extensive, as that is not what this part of the piece is about. Just a few words here and there to help the reader paint a more accurate picture of your vision will help it out.

All in all, I thought it was fantastic. I hope that my review had been of some help, although I feel like I have just rambled! PM me if you ever put up an edit and I will be happy to take another look. Good luck with this!
I will live forever, even if I die trying.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:19 pm
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

Hey oh!

I like your title. It drew me in and made me click.

The setting here intrigues me. Is it something like post-apocalyptic? So far in the future that the modern era is forgotten? Or is it some sort of alternate universe and she's hearing echoes from Earth?

‘I’m a tiger, Ma.’ I grinned at her white face. ‘I’m a tiger defying the laws of gravity.’
This made me so incredibly happy you have no idea I can't even...

I passed the Saltmans’ cottage and saw their dog lunge against its rope, barking a million curses in my direction. I stopped, rocked forward on my toes and stuck my tongue out at it, smiling what I hoped was a successful sneer at it, and at any of the Saltmans who happened to be watching. ‘No presents for you,’ I said pleasantly, and the dog’s growls became hoarse and frenzied. I could hear the discordant boil of its thoughts, a growing storm of red get you, kill you, grab your guts, you’re not right, not right, not right, crush your bones until you piss your stinking blood. ‘You’ll suffocate,’ I told it, and danced a few steps in the mud. ‘And then who’ll bark at me and eat my ankles? I hope you know, it’s almost healed up now. It only bleeds when I pick at the scabs.’ The dog’s ears snapped back on its head and the whites of its eyes rolled up at me with ferocious hatred.

This paragraph seemed really crowded. I'd bump down her dialogue and then the dog's inner thoughts and then her second bit of dialogue all into their own starting paragraphs. As is, everything gets sort of lost in the big mush of text there.

I smiled at it, did a curtsey to the watching Saltmans and carried on down the path.

In the paragraph above, she talked about the Saltmans as if they might be watching, then here she talks about then as if they are watching with nothing really in between to indicate that she sees them.

The exchange with Enid felt a little odd. I wasn't sure how old Dara was, though I thought she was rather young. Then she has this conversation with Enid that feels very old, from both of them. I wasn't sure if they were young (because the dialogue sounds a bit strange and old then) or if they were older, like young women (in which case maybe make it a bit clear that Enid is older when we see her?). For Dara to seem somewhat inconsistent actually kind of works, but to make it clear that she is inconsistent, we need some sort of indication of her age.

I agree with a few folks above me that the similes felt laid on kind of thick. A few are nice and it really adds to the atmosphere, but as is, they were sort of distracting. Many sentences felt rather unnecessarily long and it just felt like it was clogging everything up. This could work for Dara's viewpoint in small doses, but in much more than the section here, it could quickly get overwhelming.

Character-wise, I liked Dara, but as for her mother and Enid, I wasn't quite sure what to make of them. Is her mother afraid of her? It seems like she didn't protest all that hard when Dara wanted to go get the water. I mean, you would think she would bring up what could happen in case. I mean, I can see that maybe you wouldn't want to reveal exactly what's wrong with her yet, but as is, it seems at first as though her mother was freaking out for no real reason, then later that she might not have been freaking out enough if she knew there was a chance that her daughter might be mobbed.

Enid felt a little... flat. Like she was just there to sort of be exposition material about how everyone is against Dara.

All in all, I did like this. I'm intrigued and want to see what's going to happen next and exactly what is going on with Dara with the lyrics in her head and whatnot. She reminds me a bit of River (complete Firefly dork) and I'm curious as to how it's all going to go down.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:35 am
View Likes
Durriedog says...

Hey Twit! I was drawn here by the name of your novel. It's intriguing ^^

This is a very well-thought-out and interesting story, to me. The characters seem well-developed and probable. I liked the music, the beat, how it was present and consistent all through the story. I love this as a first chapter!

I'm just going to give you my impressions rather than go through the whole story for grammar and punctuation.

I really do want to read more, but I think that while writing you should think about these things to make your story drag on less, because at times, it was a bit draggy for me.

1) Do I need this? - Never put something in a story you don't need.

2) KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid. Your descriptions are great. I particularly like the 'crows like old men', because it gives us a simple yet visual view of the crows and surroundings. But if there's a simpler way to say something, say it that way. Limit yourself to one descriptive phrase per noun ;)

That's all I have to say. If you re-write this or have new chapters, don't hesitate to PM me a review request (because I'll be more than happy to review). Even if it's not posted on the main site, I'd be happy to go over it for you.

Love, Durrs.
{Insert witty and/or memorable movie quotes here} [Give credit so I don't die by lawyer]

{Follow up with mention of worth-while activity that betters the YWS community}

{Insert link to activity}

{Insert well-humoured internet bribery to entice viewers to join in the activity}

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:10 pm
View Likes
BrooklynWriter says...

Twit,
Thanks for the link, I enjoyed this. I had a few issues with the beginning of the chapter. It took up a lot of time and, once you came to the middle of the chapter, it seemed pointless. Otherwise, it was fine. I think this was an overall good opening chapter. It gives you a bit of an idea of what may be to come. I have some theories. But in a way it is misleading. This is a good thing, it makes you want to keep reading. Nice job.
~Brook

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

Hi Twit! Here to review as requested. ^^ You have... a lot of reviews already, so sorry in advance if I repeat the others too much.

First thing's first: Did I like this? In all honesty, I'm going to say that I loved it. (For the most part anyways.) Usually, in first chapters I don't see characters with already-well-defined personalities - you don't know their quirks or points of interest yet. Here? Well, that was completely different.

In short, I adore Dara, and the fact that her voice and her character were so strong here makes the entire chapter just that much better. She's definitely not the typical insane person that I read about in novels - she's different, and of course, I like that about her. I will also say that I liked her mother - in most stories about mad people, their parents either abandon them or hate them, or they send them away... anything to get rid of them. It's touching, sure, but it gets old. Thank you for not making Dara's mother like that. xD

There was one thing that bothered me about this piece, though, and that was that some things seemed a bit over-descriptive. Like a couple of the past reviewers (Durie, for one of them) said, it seemed to drag on in places. I found that this was especially in the beginning. For example:

‘Oh.’ Her smile vanished and she thrust her hand down into the sack of chicken feed. She bought out a fistful and sprinkled it in the little saucer in the chick box. The chicks scrambled over each other in their eagerness to get at the food, pecking at their toes and at each other’s eyes and heads by mistake. Watching them, Ma’s smile came back, but it was a little thin around the edges.

This bit right here told us everything, which isn't always bad - but the fact that she's feeding chickens is a little detached from everything else - and it goes on for so long. Another thing that I found about the pieces like this is that you use short, choppy sentences to write them. Read the bit in bold letters - it sounds a bit choppy and awkward to read, doesn't it?

But, that aside - so far, you've got yourself and excellent novel going. xD It's only the first chapter, so I suppose that could change... but that's beside the point. Yes, I absolutely want to read more. Good job. ;)

Keep writing,
~~Ish.

((On to chapter two!))
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:29 pm
View Likes
MiaParamore says...

Hey Twit a.k.a. T-LG Wooster.

Shubhi here to review. I know you really don't need a review for this, but I wanted to go on with this novel right from the start. Thanks for the request, though. :)

To begin with, I really thought that the beginning was quite interesting. I liked the idea of starting it straight away with something catchy, and not going with the usual lyrics idea or some dream. The start was quite interesting and the mention of China did catch my interest.

Spoiler! :
She squeezed my shoulder and got up; her skirt brushed against my face and left me with an echo of her scent: smoke and flour and herbs.
I know that you were attempting something cool and different, and believe me, I loved the idea. But when I hear the word 'echo' I know it's something related to sound, so it seemed weird to have it paired with 'scent', something related to smelling. Those two sense can't be one, so you should scrap off one of the word. There are other ways of portraying what you wanted to do, and you just might have to change one word to show us the image. Properly.

Crows coughed like old men in the bare trees in the fields around the village, and as I watched, one of them took off from its branch, appearing to be a black blot of ink dribbling across the beautiful sky.

I'd partially agree with Durrie about the KISS technique. I won't say fully because I think that descriptions are really important for a story and I myself stuff a hell load of them. But what I'd say is that since we're going to be reviewing your work, like every chapter, so try to post minimum of your descriptions and try to stick with what is important here. That is mainly due to the fact because sometimes the reviewer can get stuck in understanding the descriptions that he/she might ignore other things that your piece needs working out on. So, I'd suggest you to write as you please, squeeze in whatever you want to, but try to post the important things only. That is for your own benefit. Reviewers can then finally concentrate more on other things like pace, voice, characterization. But that being said, I don't want you to stop putting descriptions here altogether, but keep in mind to have the important ones. :)

What seemed to be my problem with this piece was its soul. I mean I would have liked to know her reactions, emotions to whenever she listened to that song right from the beginning. I would not have liked you to mention that it caused her trouble, but some surprised emotions inside her should have been showed right from the start. In a way, it was good that you didn't let out how unique she was, but on the other hand it was a big surprise just like that. As the story started, I was intrigued by the song thing, but it never occurred to me that there was some 'other' kind of a problem with Dana. She seemed normal, or her character did, at least. I would have liked to know more about her. Her age. What was her age. In the beginning, she seemed like a kid, behaving like one. But as we drew more into the story, her former acquaintances seemed quite old enough and she even started looking mature. So, I'd go against what most of the people here said and like you to work a bit on Dana. Otherwise, her emotions for the sudden changed behaviour of her peers was amazing. I could feel how she must have.

Other thing would be that in the end, everything seemed to have happened in a haze. It was too quick. You had taken too much time in the beginning for the story to progress and in the end it somehow seemed like you were in a hurry to get over with it, so you wrote in haste. Other thing that I didn't like was the bucket falling down repeatedly. It was sometimes good to know her physical actions, but the bucket fell too many times and its appearance used to stop the flow. You should not make her bucket fall every time. So try out something else to show her panic, maybe she falls down and then the grainy taste of mud is what she repents, or something like that.

One thing that I fear is that she might turn out like those characters where they're thought to be crazy until they do something heroic and then people understand them. Before that, they had always been the 'under-dog', being teased for their different or paranoid behaviour. So, don't do 'just' that and bring something else to Dana, something that such characters haven't been given yet so that she could be something different. I hope I am not going too harsh. :smt002

All in all, this was quite a good beginning, and even though the few lines of the start intrigued me, I was quite bored in the middle. But you brought back the suspense again and that was when I really started liking the story. If you just work on the points I and the other reviewers mentioned, this would be something brilliant. Your word choice was quite good, and the words you used to show her actions were quite unique and well-used. Never did I get bored of reading her actions.
Your writing style is quite technical and if I were to pick up a book and read it, then I'd prefer this. Right now I am really curious to know from which part of the world she is and how is China connected to her. It seems like the times when things were not quite connected and woven and people were still unaware about the different areas on globe. I'd hence suggest you to do a thorough research on this time period and be familiar with everything that you'd like to use. I love things about China so you would have to do your homework on the China of that time, so people can really fall into the depth of the novel. Right now, the name is very intriguing and I can't wait to know if Wolf and Hare would really have a part to do, or if that's just for a name.

I don't have much more to say, and I promise to make up for the awful review in the next one. :D

Keep Writing,
Shrubs
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:35 pm
View Likes
Ego says...

I always seemed to have a tune stuck in my head these days.

Dun like this. We don't even know anything about the character yet and you're already spoon-feeding us information about things that are commonplace in his life. I'd rather see this line a few paragraphs down, once you've established that there is, in fact, a protagonist. The opening line stands on it's own just fine.

Watching them, Ma’s smile came back, but it was a little thin around the edges.

This may be a mixed metaphor. I don't think smiles can be thin around the edges, since smiles by definition taper off at the corners of the vertex of the two lips meeting.

‘I’m a tiger defying the laws of gravity.’

We don't really know enough about the setting and time period to know if this is out of place or not, but I suspect it may be. Gravity as a concept was not conceived until the 1500s, AD, and not formalized until Newton in 1687. Of course, this IS fantasy, and as such you can use whatever terminology you like.

On tone.
Liked the detached feeling you get from reading this. It hinders the reader's ability to understand where and when this is taking place, though I suspect that may be intentional. You give us images to help us limp along, but in the end--in my opinion--we end up more confused that anything. Again, I suspect this to be intentional, but I would like to see a little bit more, so we're simply salivating for more, rather than sitting and scratching our heads with a "huh?" expression on our slack jaws.

On Dara.
Intriguing and fun to read, though very much a faceless character for us. We have no idea of her background, her personality--beyond that she is, at the very least, off--or her appearance. She's a fun character, though, and I think very much that she is worth sticking with as long as she is properly explained over the course of the piece.

Looks like I'm forced to read the second part. Thanks for the read.
--D
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Light griefs are loquacious, but the great are dumb.
— Seneca