z

Young Writers Society

Annexation: Chapter One

504 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 504
Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:33 am
Kafkaescence says...

I see the man, or perhaps sense him, as he enters my home, shovel straddled upon his wide shoulders, torch brandished before him. One cannot see the stars from my home, one cannot see the moon cradled by the black sky, yet from my chamber I am able to distinguish the day from the night, and the moon was high when I heard the distant echoes of footsteps at my door.

I stride through the unlit hallway, cursing to myself. At this time of night! I should be inclined to simply ignore him, let him wander about through the labyrinth of passageways and rooms until, like so many others, he would yawn and crumble upon the ground. At times the dust would be swept over their bodies before they could realize that the stars were mocking them, and that I was strangling them from behind. If they were conceited enough that they did not give me the feast they knew I deserved, their corpses would be thrust into my mouth and burned from within me as a reward, and sometimes as punishment. For I am a pet of kinds, always requiring food and water. But I do not think of myself as that. No, that was an analogy suggested by my brother, to whom I responded,

“The pet is the insect that hides beneath small shrubbery and clambers up trees; they die before they reach the sky. We, we must live to hold the stars, and is it not death that brings out the worms from beneath one’s eyes? Look at yourself! Desert carrion! Hardly my superior! And yet you accuse, for accusing I shall call it, me of such inferiority! Such generalizations will not be taken lightly! No, for when the scarab beetles emerge from beneath your jeweled fur, which was brushed only this morning, I will let the stars pour from your mouth! And I will let the Uraei crawl over your body, yes, and carry you away.”

And now the walls flicker with torchlight, and the meticulous writing is illuminated beside me. I see the man, his pale bearded face, his drab clothing. I scowl behind my welcoming smile. This peasant, this rat - defiling the very stones with which my home has been built! Twenty years of labor, of sweat and deaths and exhaustion! Despite his repugnancy, I break into stride with him.

When he glimpses my face, the surprise is shattered across his body. But he realizes this, and, contorting his face into a smile to match mine, nods curtly and relegates his gaze back into the darkness ahead of him. But I continue to stare at him, to contemplate how I shall rid myself of his presence. The only sound that pierces the darkness is the snapping of the torch and our unsynthesized footsteps echoing into the engravements in the walls.

“This is truly an odd time of day to come,” I say, as if our meeting had been planned for years and our expectations had decayed into fear and resentment.

“Hardly,” he replies, avoiding my gaze.

“Does it not occur to you how untimely your arrival is?”

He shifts the shovel, resting on his shoulder, and a small stain upon it gleams red in the torchlight.

“And seeing as there appears to be blood upon your shovel, do I not have the right to be suspicious of your motives?” My face is compressed into an expression of cynicism.

The man, now becoming nervous, again shifts the shovel so that it is hidden in shadows. “Leave me be.” His lips quiver, and I notice a nearly imperceptible quickening in his steps.

“Yet this is my home. My name is written in the walls - look! - and upon the very floor we walk on.”

“I am illiterate. Thus you cannot force this fact upon me.”

“If that is so. But please, let me show what I speak of.” I usher him to the wall on the right side of us, and trace my finger along the figures. “You see here - it is this one, I believe - bring the torch nearer, if you will - ah, yes, here it is.” I point proudly toward the figure. “This circle here, this sun, with the arm just there, and the eye - “

“Yes, I believe I can see it. And there - that is a man sitting, is it not?”

I beam. “It is.”

“And what, may I ask, do these figures mean?”

“Do you not understand them?”

“I am illiterate, sir.”

I stiffen. They are so clear, so precise. How can one be unable to perceive their meaning? I pull him away, muttering, half to myself, “We must go on. There is much to see. Yes, we must go on.”

“Could you...could you teach me? I would very much like to learn. I believe I could be able to read them, if I tried.”

I hesitate, but shake my head free of his prying grasp and continue walking. “Perhaps. But now is not the time for such distractions. Come!” My fingers curl around a fold in the man’s tattered robe and I drag him forward. He stumbles along the stone floor, hardly managing to keep step with my swift pace.

“Distractions?” His voice quivers in accordance with his sporadic footfalls.

Such arrogance, to question me in this way. Now I can sense that he is beginning to resent me, to find fault in my wisdom. But this cannot be helped.

“At a later date, perhaps.”

The man shakes free of my grasp. “Certainly you mean this to be the truth?”

“It is no guarantee. But I note, of course, the interest you have expressed toward the matter.”

He sighs. “I suppose that is the most I can hope for. But at least let us proceed at a slower pace, for I am tiring.”

Now he holds the torch closer to his face, and I notice the beads of sweat that trickle from the mass of black hair upon his head to the tip of his beard, before dripping onto the floor.

“You are weary, my friend. Please, sit down.”

He sits, letting his weight fall upon the cold floor, cross-legged and panting. How short he is now; how easily I could crush him with my foot, at this instant! But still I stand, gazing down at him, scowling.

He speaks. “Do you have family?”

I laugh. “Ha! Do I have family? Do you not know who I am? Does not the entirety of civilization know who I am?”

“I...I’m afraid, sir, I do not.”

I frown, but continue. “Yes, I have family. I have many sons and daughters, but I myself have no parent.”

He furrows his brow. “From where, then, do you come, if not from your mother’s womb? Is that not the only place one can be born from?”

“I rose from the very waters of existence, from the great Primordial Ocean, ten thousand years before your father’s father was born. I stood on a small island in the great sea, waves plummeting down at my feet and head; I was alone in an awakening world. But I had strength, the strength of youth, and molded from the sands between Earth and Sea a son and daughter, who swam out into the waters and pulled the seafloor towards the sky. Our land was formed then: deserts, valleys, rivers.”

“That is impressive, but surely you will forgive me if I do not believe you.”

“You doubt me?”

He pushes himself to his feet and presses his arms against his chest. “Suddenly my heart freezes between my bones and our very breaths sting my face. Perhaps we should get moving again, so that I do not die lying upon this hard stone floor.”
Last edited by Kafkaescence on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
#TNT

WRFF

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:26 am
Tommybear says...

I like this very very much. great imagery and i have crystal clear images in my head. I am very interested in part two! Another great piece from you Kafka!
Formerly TmB317

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:17 am
StellaThomas says...

Hey Kafka! Stella here! I feel awful because I figure you've been wonderfully active but we haven't been properly introduced! So consider this an introduction to YWS' Irish absentee...

I. NITPICKS

and the moon was high when I heard the distant echoes of footsteps at my door.

I thought you couldn't see the moon...?

“The pet is the insect that hides beneath small shrubbery and clambers up trees; they die before they reach the sky. We, we must live to hold the stars, and is it not death that brings out the worms from beneath one’s eyes? Look at yourself! Desert carrion! Hardly my superior! And yet you accuse, for accusing I shall call it, me of such inferiority! Such generalizations will not be taken lightly! No, for when the scarab beetles emerge from beneath your jeweled fur, which was brushed only this morning, I will let the stars pour from your mouth! And I will let the Uraei crawl over your body, yes, and carry you away.”

Okay, did they actually say this? I mean, I've figured they're unusual. And Egyptian. But this just seems so unnatural.
My face is compressed into an expression of cynicism.

Cut the "expression", it's making this sentence so clumpy.

II. OVERALL

This is definitely different to a lot of things around on the site and indeed that I've read in general! I'd be a little annoyed at the fact that we know so little about your main character, are they a god or simply having delusions of grandeur? Their way of speaking is jilted and formal and I'm guessing that's what you're going for- and that's fine- except that as an audience it alienates us. So you need to work on getting our sympathy by letting us know your character, their situation, their motives.

But overall, cleverly done :)

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

884 Reviews

Reviews: 884
Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:46 am
StoryWeaver13 says...

I see the man, or perhaps sense him, as he enters my home, shovel straddled upon his wide shoulders, torch brandished before him. One cannot see the stars from my home, one cannot see the moon cradled by the black sky, yet from my chamber I am able to distinguish the day from the night, and the moon was high when I heard the distant echoes of footsteps at my door. First you say that you can't see the moon, but then you say it's high when this happens. I know you're distinguishing time, but it kind of argues with yourself.

I strode through the unlit hallway, cursing to myself. You jumped tenses from present to past, so just be sure to stick to one.

Well, this little stuff isn't all that important. Plot-wise, I'm interested to see where this goes, and don't completely understand what's going on yet. Who are these characters? What is this labyrinth exactly? Why is this person so arrogant (I guess that's part of who he is)? Anyway, I feel like there's just so much that we don't understand yet. In fiction, especially in fantasy fiction, it's important to create a vivid picture of the world you're portraying, because it's pretty often a lot different than our own. That can be done later, though. This is really well-written, and there's great imagery here.
Keep writing,
StoryWeaver
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ~Lemony Snicket

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:54 am
eldEr says...

Cafe. Hi.

Stella's pointed out most of the nit-picks, so I'll move on. (Yay, my favorite part of the review!)

First off, I'd like to say that this was quite well-written in general. But, a story is much deeper than simply good writing. There was a bit that this chapter seemed to lack.

And by that I mean that I agree with Stella - you know so little about your main character. I suppose that it could be explained as the novel progresses, but it seemed like a little much. You don't really have any feel of what's happening other than the way the people are moving and the way the setting looks. There needs to be a bit more of a background story here.

I'll start with the main character.

We hardly know anything about him - you just jump right into things, and leave the reader confused. Now, if this was intentional, you should probably go back and think about it a little first. Vague is definitely good, but we need a bit more of that to support the story and to get us hooked. The character is usually what hooks me in a story, and since we know so little about him, you sort of lost me around half-way through. He needs just a bit more clarification.

Start off by giving us not what he does exactly - but a few things that could hint to who he really is, what he does, why he's here, all of those questions we're wondering. Just a way to make a few guesses here and there.

As for the setting - well, the description was good, but this, like your main character, seemed a little vague. What's going on, other than the two talking, and your main character apparently planning on killing him? Why doesn't your main character kill him right away?

It seemed like you jumped into the story just a bit too quickly. Don't get me wrong, getting into a story from the very first sentence is good - it just needs a bit of clarification or you'll lose your reader.

It could use a bit of tweaking, but you've definitely got something original going on here. Thanks for the read, and perhaps let me know when you have the next bit up?

~~Cass
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:43 am
borntobeawriter says...

Hey Kafka!

Well, I must say I was dreading reading your piece: it's happened in the past that I really enjoyed other reviewers but always found their stories lacking. Yours wasn't.

I liked your MC, although I would have liked to know him more. Everyone has pointed out that the moon is high but he hasn't seen it. I saw it differently. What I saw, in this, was that he was somehow very aware of all that surrounded him. That impression was confirmed when he started explaining himself to the stranger. Was he the God of origin or something? Well, that's the impression I had.

I have the feeling you've done this vagueness on purpose, and I'm not really set against it. It gave your story an air of mystery I found you were able to pull off. Am I curious? Hell yeah. Do I want to know more? Hell yeah.

But I really enjoyed this read. Hope this review helped and thanks for requesting it.

Tanya

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:08 pm
Rune says...

Hi Kafka :)

Before I start I just want to say that I haven't read the other reviews so forgive me if I am redundant also if I am over-critical.

You have an interresting begninning here, but your writing is very confusing and often I don't quite understand what is going on. For instance:

I see the man, or perhaps sense him,

How can you either see or sence him, surely you can tell. This sounds like: "I think that I am happy" you can't do that either you are happy or you aren't. Unless you include a description of your characters power right afterwards, this line becomes really confusing.

I strode through the unlit hallway, cursing.

No need for "to myself".

I should be inclined to simply ignore him, let him wander about through the labyrinth of passageways and rooms until, like so many others, he would yawn and crumble upon the ground.
At times the dust would be swept over their bodies before they could realize that the stars were mocking them, and that I was strangling them from behind.
If they were conceited enough that they did not give me the feast they knew I deserved, their corpses would be thrust into my mouth and burned from within me as a reward, and sometimes as punishment.
For I am a pet of kinds, always requiring food and water. But I do not think of myself as that. No, that was an analogy suggested by my brother, to whom I responded,

If this is the passage that you are going to use to describe this character, broaden it out. It is a good place to put it, but it doesn't expalin much about him. What is he? Is he a he for that matter? Why does he eat people? What powers does he posess?

%u201CThis is truly an odd time of day to come,%u201D I say, as if our meeting had been planned for years and our expectations had decayed into fear and resentment.

End it at years, the rest makes it sound laboured.

When he glimpses my face, the surprise is shattered across his body.

Shatters seems like the wrong word, maybe shudder?

%u201CI am illiterate. Thus you cannot force this fact upon me.%u201D

I can't quite explain why, but these words just don't sound right.

I beam.

So far your character has been described as a cynical, possibly evil?, brooding person who seems to view the world through shadowed eyes. Beam just doesn't seem like the thing he does.

The way this is written looks like it is attempting to be epic, but your epicness is hidden under layers of laboured text that is trying to hard. Make yourmain character description clearer even if it means revealing more than you intend to. This will help your reader make sence of what is going on and picture it slightly better. Your text is also all over the place when you try to describe your character, ideas flying out at a quintillion miles an hour, it's hard to keep up. Give yourself a clear goal of what you are trying to achive through this description, maybe that will help.

Hope my review helps you in your work. Again forgive me if I seem overly-critical.

Keep Writing :)
Splenig Metsackes Ink.
Flowing Scribble

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:40 am
PaulClover says...

Paul here! Sorry for the delay!

This is incredibly well-written, and file my response to this under "Not Surprised" :). As always, your imagery, grammar, spelling, etc. are fantastic, so nothing to report on that. (I'm actually kind of jealous, as you appear to be the anti-me in that regard ;))

And, like always, most of my advice has to do with character and plot as opposed to composition. I really like the way you leave the reader in the dark, and I think it works for the somewhat mythic tone of the story. However, working in a physical description of the narrator wouldn't be such a bad idea (unless, of course, a plot point depends on us not knowing what he looks like.) It's cool to use mystery to build tension and add intrigue, but it's a very slippery slope to travel, and can leave the reader feeling confused.

Loving this so far. Just finish the story this time ;) I'll be back when you post the next one
Remember your name. Do not lose hope — what you seek will be found. Trust ghosts. Trust those that you have helped to help you in their turn. Trust dreams. Trust your heart, and trust your story. - Neil Gaiman

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:50 am
MUCHO says...

Though the writing is impressive, I don't really have much interest in the story or have felt connected to it at all-I feel that you think I'm stupid while reading this. I also think the writing is pretentious, maybe it's because no one talks, or even writes like this story-

I don't think you can really "connect" with an audience writing like this, it's so detatched. So omnipresent. The atmosphere you paint is nothing like what I feel reading this,

With your talent, I think you can write some good stuff, but just a wide ranging vocabulary and complex sentences don't make you Franz Kafka, they often detach the reader, and I felt detatched.

The first paragraph is wishy-washy- do you see the man or sense him? Is he at your door or in the hallway? Can you see the moon or not? If the narrator is the god that I think it is, then it should be able to make up its mind.

The metaphor with the pet is misplaced in my opinion, and I think that you think that it is advanced or complicated, or something that makes me think, but we've seen this a thousand times. You don't need an entire paragraph to stretch a metaphor on forever, a better one would be shorter, and wouldn't carve its own space in the story so wide.

I don't really see where this could possibly be going, but maybe I'm too simple to understand.

Good writing, but pretentious, but I feel I can be tough on you because you have talent and I want to push you to write something real that isn't thought up, that's felt up.
"This is our decision,
to live fast and die young...
Yeah it's overwhelming,
but what else can we do?
Get jobs in offices and
wake up for the morning commute?

The models will have children,
we'll get a divorce,
find some more models;
everything must run its course!

Fated to Pretend

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 pm
titanarc80195 says...

Wow. I'd have to say this was a really good start to your book. Most everyone has picked out my nitpicks, so I'll just say all the good and bad things now. Jumping right into the storyline seems like a good idea IF you follow it up with maybe some background info on the main character. We (as in the readers) already have some information regarding the narrator, but you could include some to clear up anything that people might complain about. Also, you make a great first impression for the main character. Making him evil and cynical is ingeneous. Everything else in the chapter just all seems to fit together so well that I couldn't stop reading. I'll be waiting for the next chapter to appear. Other than that, your golden!
Remember who you are. You are my son, the one true king. Remember!X)

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 am
bookworm27 says...

Alright, Booky here to review!
Firstly, I really did like this piece (all of your writing is so darn good) but I have a few things:
1. "shovel straddled upon his wide shoulders" is straddled used correctly in this sentence...?
2. " should be inclined to simply ignore him, let him wander about through the labyrinth of passageways and rooms until, like so many others, he would yawn and crumble upon the ground." This is truly great. Absolute mastery of diction.
3. “This is truly an odd time of day to come,” I say, as if our meeting had been planned for years[comma here] and our expectations had decayed into fear and resentment. I think the comma breaks it up and makes it a bit less awkward/clunky
4. SO I just was really impressed with a good chunk of the next portion. Really Really so. You write really well, and it seems very sophisticated.
5. The ending is a bit too cliff hanger-esque for me..."He pushes himself to his feet and presses his arms against his chest. “Suddenly my heart freezes between my bones and our very breaths sting my face. Perhaps we should get moving again, so that I do not die lying upon this hard stone floor.”" It's a dramatic phrase, but not by itself.

Overall, wonderful job!! Keep writing!
“Maybe it’s fate that Hound ate the map. Maybe we’ll discover soemthing wonderful while we’re lost.”-The Penderwicks

My dog is a Samsonite refridgerator
— APoltergeist