I kissed her cheek
Tasted her tears

She held my hand
I felt nothing

My past is dead
I asked her to leave

My past is dead
And my ghost follows me
Last edited by SmileLikeUMeanIt on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 pm
amiemalamie says...

This is good but I feel like it should be expanded. Or keep this one short and do an expanded version. I'd like to see it were you never actually tell us she's a ghost but you describe it over the poem so the reader comes to that conclusion. Something like...

"I found her crying
Holding the diary

Our diary...."

Then you can say something like

"Her image mirroring mine"

To show she's your ghost.

Beautifully poignant. If you're going to expand it, try not to over do it because I do like it's simplicity in part. Good work, let me know if you redraft :)
Check out my novel My Life of Insignificance

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/amiemalamie

There is no elevator to success. You have to take the stairs.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:16 am
LilySoulMahon says...

Beautiful.
I love the simplistic imagery of this piece of poetry. It flows and it makes me smile.
It also makes me wonder and want more to read, though I like how short it is I do think maybe a bit more added would help, but I guess thats the mystery of the piece.
Overall a lovely piece and I look forward to reading more.
Well done!
...The Emptiness Will Haunt You...

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:47 am
Gracie says...

Hi there

This has potential but needs a little work.

I think you need to expand on this. It has some very good lines and ideas in it but is too short to have a very moving impact on the reader. I recommend you expand on it. I also recommend you cut out the dialogue. The descriptions are the best part.

Besides that is very good. The simplicity really works with this. And if you work on it a bit it could be amazing.

And the line

"Her lips kissed the silence"

Is really good.
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Alice in Wonderland

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:22 am
fruityfortissimo says...

Hello there. I feel is poem has a lot of potential, but it needs more detail. It isn't exactly simple, it just is missing a lot. Try expanding it, and using more emotions. I didn't really feel anything when I read this, and the fact that there isn't a mood is a problem. Is it supposed to be scary because of the ghost, or pained because of what the ghost represents? Try expanding on the ideas of what this poem means to you. Put your heart into it.
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."
Harvey Fierstein
"At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet."
Plato

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:17 am
cali34rniasummer says...

--> ooh, I get it. The message says that you and the ghost were one. I guess you need to widen or expand the idea. You can also add some twist or conflict in this. You can tell here why your ghost was haunting you and maybe, you can include that you had an argument about how to solve a problem .. as for me, ghosts often symbolizes the past memories that keep on bothering us or haunting us.. :) There's a good idea you have in there but I think you have to add some spices in this good work. :)

---love,
CS
Every day is beautiful with a little arm stretch and a smile :)

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:43 pm
SmileLikeUMeanIt says...

Thank you for all of your comments. I have added more to the poem. I may add more in the future as my ghost continues to follow me. I don't usually write poetry so I'm glad it sort of worked. ;)

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:01 am
DeadEndsAreOptional says...

Beautiful. :) I really liked this part:
My past is dead
And my ghost follows me

You have a natural gift of writing. I can't wait to read more of your work.
Keep writing! :D
~DeadEnds
"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

403 Reviews

Reviews: 403
Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:02 am
SmylinG says...

This was a beautiful piece of poetry you've written. :) And I especially loved the title! My Ghost and I. So poetic in itself. I think my favorite part would have to be when you wrote:

She was small and quiet
Her lips kissed the silence

There was something about this part here that just kept my eyes glued to your words. :) A sign of a great poet. Wonderful job!
Paul is my little, evil, yellow bundle of joy.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:31 am
ScarlettFire says...

Hey there, Smile. A review for a review, right? :wink:

Anyways. On to reviewing... I liked this. Really liked it. It was cute and sad, but brilliant. Wonderful flow, rythym and imagery. I could really relate to the poem, to the narrator. Beautiful, I must say. I loved how you used the words, and how you twisted the imagery. Truly beatiful. And perfectly fine how it is, which means I don't have any nitpicks. Sadly, but I don't mind.

Overall, Smile, you have a goregous little poem here. I adore it. *clicks like* I really do. Thank you for the beautifully brilliant poetry. I love it, seriously. Keep it up and never stop writing!

~Scar. ^^
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 pm
jake2011 says...

Nice piece of poetry here Smile. I really liked it. It's so simple and yet it all flows together very nicely. My favorite lines were the last four. They kinda portray a little hope for the girl. At least, that's the way it sounded for me. You could definitely add some more to it. And if you added the right things, it could make it better. Keep writing for sure, 'cause your writing is really good. Good job. I love it.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:47 pm
eldEr says...

Hello Smile, I'm here to review this. ^^

First of all, I would just like to tell you that you have succeeded in creating a piece that I absolutely loved, especially near the end. There were parts in here that had me completely captivated, which I almost found strange considering that this is so simple. Don't get me wrong here, simplicity is beauty, but in poetry it can be hard to pull of correctly. You've managed it very, very well though.

In this whole thing, there was one line that I was just a bit iffy about:

SmileLikeUMeanIt wrote:Our breaths danced into one

This is probably just me being extremely picky, but I was desperate to find something worth nit-picking, so here it is. I'm not a huge fan of the word 'dancing' being used in poetry, not in the context you have it in anyways. (If somebody was actually physically and literally dancing, then that's all good. Of course.) I don't know why, but it's always seemed a bit cliche to use that word.

Otherwise, though, I absolutely adored this. It was definitely a good piece. Keep up the awesome work!

~~Cass
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:51 pm
sarebear says...

Hi

this is beautiful! The only thing is that I feel like their could be a story behind it that doesn't get showcased in this poem. You might consider thinking about making it a little clearer. However, I also like the vagueness....sorry if I seem kind of undecided...

The only bit I might consider changing was

"She did not moan
She did not whine"

It kind of breaks the flow because the rest of the poem is so elegant and this doesn't quite fit.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed reading it--nice work!

Sarebear
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a psychologist.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:44 am
Gracie says...

Hi there.

I really like that you expanded this, it feels more whole and complete and a much better poem. I also like that you lost the dialogue because it now has a better flow. As I said in my first review, this is really good, and your use of language is fantastic. I love some of the new lines you added like

"Our breaths danced into one
Cold rested between us"

That's just brilliant.

In conclusion, really good job.
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

Alice in Wonderland

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:35 pm
ShadowPrincess16 says...

Wow. That is honestly all I can say right now. This was a really good poem. Actually, it sorta makes me want to write the poem that has been collecting dust in my brain for the past month. It inspired me to write, and that isn't very easy, so good job!
“wanting what you could not have led to misery and madness”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Prince

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates