z

Young Writers Society

One Glance

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:00 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Spoiler! :
Wow... I'm actually sort of proud of this one! Well, this was written for one of my book characters that I'm in love with : D

Do you know how a glance
lights fire to my soul?

You prance around like
you're a million bucks,

but in truth you are.
You look amazing,

Trying or not, when I'm near you you're like
a blistering fire on a freezing day.

And yet you do not know
me, do not see me...

Am I really not beautiful enough
for you to spare a single glance?

The way you speak,
the way you strut,

It's the fascinating
language of love.

Am I not good enough
for a single a word?

Hello? Hi? Hola? 'Sup? Is
that too hard to utter?

Is it too much to
ask, to hope for?

You haunt my dreams; Am
I even a shadow in yours?

You're never far from my mind- but
face it, you've never thought of me.

Please, I beg, I wish,
give me one chance.

You act like I'm a
cloud on a rainy day.

Why? Am I so horrid, so mean,
so evil, so hostile, so ugly,

you can't dare to
speak my name?

So please, please
just talk to me.

Call my name, and I'll
be there in in instant.

Just say my name.
That's all I want.

Please.

Is that too mush to ask?
Last edited by MilkNCookies on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

Reviews: 3
Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:58 am
savannah456 says...

This isn't much of a review.
All I wanted to say is I really, REALLY like this :D
It actually explains exactly how I feel about someone right now...
I really like how you give us little glimpses into the way the speaker feels about him/herself.

"You haunt my dreams; Am
I even a shadow in yours?" --LOVE this :D

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:55 pm
Sins says...

Hey, M&C. 8)

Please remember that I know sod all about poetry, so this review may be lacking slightly... a lot. Nonetheless, I will at least try to give you something helpful so that you can work on this. If you have any questions or anything after this review, be sure to let me know by PM, a comment on my wall or whatever.

What I liked about this was that at the beginning, you had a pretty positive atmosphere. The narrator seemed happy enough, and then you sort of twisted it. The more the poem went on, the more negative it began to feel. I'm not sure if that was what you were going for, but even if it wasn't, it's a good effect. I also thought that this flowed smoothly, and I think that's always very important, especially in poetry.

Because I suck at poetry, I am struggling a bit at critiques... but I will come up with something. Hmmm... okay. The first thing that popped out at me was that although I think this poem is nicely written, it is pretty cliché. It's the classic, I love you, but you don't even know I exist kind of thing. Just because something's cliché, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad, but you do have to be careful with it. On one hand, this is good because it is something people can relate to, but on the other hand, it is a bit overused.

What I'd suggest for you to do is put your own twist on this somehow. Because I'm useless, I can't really suggest much to you, but there's bound to be a way you can do it. If not, you should try and put some uniqueness to this. Maybe you could create some wonderful, unique imagery, or do something like add a twist at the end of the poem... Like someone dying! :P Hehe, not really... Unless you want the narrator to kill the guy she loves due to mad jealousy... Do you kind of get what I mean though? I think you should somehow put your own unique style to this so that any clichéness is taken away.

Other than that, there's nothing that stands out to me. I'm so sorry this hasn't been much help, M&C... This is why I avoid doing poetry reviews. Skins + Poetry Reviews = Fail. With any luck though, I've helped you out a little bit, or at least made you think about one or two things.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

I'll actually turning 100 soon
— Ari11