z

Young Writers Society

Forget the World~1

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:37 am
View Likes
TabbyGirl says...

(Not really a spoiler. Go ahead and read this)
Spoiler! :
What do yall think of the title? Does it give it something extra? Is it too much? Will the image not appear on your computer? I don't know... I thought it was nice... but anyway...

Okay, so, look, I know this type of story has been done before. Some might even say it’s been done to death. I might even say that. I don’t know… but I’ve read some of these stories on YWS, and they all seem to get such good reviews… I’m not going to say there wasn’t a part of me that yearned to write this... there was, definitely. Hey, I’m a teenager, what can I say? Anyway… I myself have called a story like this cliché, and I’m not saying it’s not cliché, then again I’m not saying it is… I’m just confused, and I really hope yall like this, because if not then I’m afraid it’s going to come across as very cliché… uhg… (No. It’s not vampires.)

Oh, and a quick glossary for those of you who don’t live in southern Texas:

Houston: The… third or fourth, I can’t remember, largest city in the US, located in southern Texas.

Rice (refering to something besides the food-stuff): a collage located in Houston (beautiful campus, by the way)

Noah walked out his front door, and up to the grey truck that had pulled up in front of his house. He smoothed back his short black hair with one hand, and opened the door with the other. He climbed into the passenger’s seat, slammed the door and buckled his seatbelt, then turned to the person in the driver’s seat, and smiled at her, “Hey gorgeous.”

Julie stared at the steering wheel, as a small smile crept over her lips, “Hey babe.” She thought it was cute that they had reached this point in their relationship… and she knew she had to enjoy it while it lasted. Now, when they were hopelessly in love, yet completely carefree, it wasn’t something that would last. She started the ignition, and took a shuttering breath.

“So, where’re we going?” Noah asked.

Julie shrugged, “Houston? Or… the graveyard?”

Noah looked at her sceptically, “Um… good suggestions and all, but I thought maybe we could go see a movie or something.”

Julie shook her head, “No. We’re definitely not doing that. I think the graveyard was a good idea.”

Noah rolled his eyes, “Fine, whatever, but pull up at the next gas station and let me drive, I’ll take you to the graveyard, I promise.”

Julie shook her head, “I’m sorry, sweetie, but this is my car. Look, how about we go nowhere. You let me drive, I’ll get us more lost then I ever have before, then I let you take the wheel and you will, miraculously, find the way home.”

He smiled at this, “Okay, but I control the radio,” he reached for the radio dials, but Julie stopped him.

“No! No, no, Noah. No.” Julie said insistently.

“Fine, you can pick the station; just make it something we both like, please?”

Julie shook her head, “No. We’re not listening to music.”

“Then what are we doing?” Noah asked as his girlfriend turned off the main road, heading toward the countryside, “Just waiting to get carsick?”

Julie sighed, and took her eyes off the road for a minute to look at Noah, “We need to talk.”

He looked at her, confused, “About what?”

“About life!” she said indignantly, “What is it? April? We’ll graduate in less then two months. What are we going to do with our lives?”

Noah shrugged, “I don’t want to think about that right now, okay?”

“No. It is not okay,” she replied firmly.

“Okay then, Jule, this is what’s going to happen; you’ll go to Rice, I’ll go… well, somewhere... we’ll drive to see each other on the weekends. It’ll be fine.”

“Not if you go out of state…” Julie muttered.

“I probably won’t…”

“You should, if you want to,” she insisted.

Noah put his arm around her shoulders, “I don’t.”

“Then why don’t you go to Rice too?!” Julie asked him in frustration.

He smiled, “It would distract me too much to know that you’re on the same campus as me.”

“That’s a really stupid excuse,” Julie muttered, shaking her head.

“It’s perfectly true!” he insisted, “Do you know how badly my grades dropped after we started going out? My parents wouldn’t let me go to Rice.”

She scoffed, “Jerks.”

“Yeah…” he muttered.

Julie stared at the steering wheel again, her stomach hurt with nerves, “There’s something else… concerning our future.”

“What else?” he asked, confused at her anxious tone.

She stared at the road, which stretched ahead of them, then she took Noah’s hand in hers, and said very quietly, “I’m pregnant.”

He heard her perfectly clear, as there was nearly no noise besides the slight rumble of the truck as it rolled along, but he still asked, “What?” squeezing her hand tighter and craning his neck towards her.

Julie swallowed hard, unsure if she could bring herself to say it again. “I… baby…” she moved her hand that was holding his over her belly, “fat…”

“Oh God,” his hands started shaking.

“I’m sorry,” Julie whispered, near tears.

“Don’t say that… it’s... it's my fault,” Noah’s voice was shaking also.

“Yeah, but mine too,” Julie let go of his hand, and held onto the steering wheel with both of hers tightly.

“Jule…” he said, uncertainly, “Are you sure you’re not just late, or nauseous or something?”

“I took the test,” she wiped her eyes, “It was definitely positive… I haven’t been to a doctor or anything, but Mom seemed convinced.”

“Wait, wait, you told your mom?!” Noah asked in shock.

Julie sighed, “Well, I was acting kind of weird so she asked me what was up, and… I told her I might be. Then she asked me a bunch of nurse questions, and, well… after that she started freaking out. I didn’t tell her about the test though.”

“Oh God,” he repeated, staring at Julie as if she had told him she had been bitten by a werewolf.

“So… yeah, I’m pretty sure,” she said in a murmur.

Noah breathed heavily, “Jule, pull over.”

She looked at him, confused, “Why?”

“Because I feel like I’m about to barf…” his head sunk into his hands.

The irony wasn’t lost on Julie. She eased off the gas, and put the car in park, “Dude, are you alright?” She asked, patting his back.

He shook his head, “Jule… how did this happen?” he asked, his head still in his hands.

“I don’t know,” she sighed.

“We were careful!” he insisted.

Julie smiled as she said ominously, “Yeah… we were. I guess me and that other guy didn’t take enough precautions.”

Noah looked up at her, “Not seriously.”

She rolled her eyes, “Of course not. Sorry babe, it’s your problem too.”

There was a pause; A pause during which Noah straightened up, and rubbed his temples a bit. Oh God… he thought, This had to happen to me… he imagined his father’s face when he found out. Then, even worse, his mother’s. How am I going to break this to them? But all this worrying was interrupted by the thought of his own baby girl… or boy, he added, but I hope it’s a girl… “Yeah…” he looked at Julie and smiled slightly, “But, it’s a good problem to have.”

She frowned, “Maybe from your point of view” she muttered bitterly.

“Oh… sorry, didn’t mean to be insensitive,” he apologized.

“Noah…” Julie groaned, “Don’t you get it? I can’t go to Rice with a baby. I can’t risk my water breaking in the middle of an English mid-term! I can’t… I can’t be the pregnant one...”

He grabbed her hand, and kissed her forehead, “Things aren’t like that in collage. Jule, you’re eighteen. You’re an adult. There isn’t anything wrong with you being pregnant…”

“I’m a teenager!” Julie shouted at him, “I like to watch Scooby Doo on the weekends! My mother stuffed my stocking this Christmas, and we acted like Santa Claus did it even though me and Danni caught onto that crap years ago. I dip Cheetos in vanilla ice-cream. How can you call me an adult? And who are you to talk, Mr. I-can’t-even-vote-yet?”

“My birthday is in less then two weeks,” he pointed out. “Look, Jule, We’ll figure it out. We can take a semester or two off… or, maybe I can still apply to Rice… I think this is going to change my parents’ perspective a bit.”

She shook her head, “It’s not going to work. We can’t figure it out, okay? We just can’t.”

Noah looked at her uncomprehendingly, “What do you mean it won’t work? Jule, I’ll do whatever I can to make this work,” he tried to catch her eye, but she was stubbornly staring out the windshield, “You aren’t saying we should break up, are you?”

Tears slid out of Julie’s eyes, “No… that isn’t what I had in mind.”

“Then-” Noah began, but Julie cut him off.

“Noah, we’re too young…” she said desperately, looking him in the eye, “Way too young…”

“…Oh,” he wasn’t sure how to respond beyond that, “Oh,” he repeated.

“And we’re not even married,” she continued insistently.

“We could get married,” Noah suggested.

“We’re too young to get married,” she replied.

“Who’s to say that?” he asked, starting to sound angry.

“I am,” Julie said simply.

“Don’t you want to get married?” Noah asked.

Julie didn’t reply immediately, “Of course,” she shrugged, “I love you Noah.”

“Then let’s get married!” he sounded excited.

“Do you have a ring?” Julie asked, raising her eyebrows.

“I’ll get one… soon,” he promised.

She sighed, “Babe… you’re just making this more difficult…”

“Making what more difficult?” Noah asked, his face innocent and confused.

Julie took a deep breath. He was still holding one of her hands. She twisted her torso towards him, and took his other one, then she looked into his eyes, and said slowly, “I am seriously considering getting an abortion.”
Last edited by TabbyGirl on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:18 pm
IcyFlame says...

I really enjoyed this! It looked really good, tell me if you continue it. I love the realtionship between Julie and Noah and the way he suggests getting married is adorable. The end to the chapter is a little shakey though, for her to changer her mind repeatedly about the idea of marriage shows a weakness in her character that I'm not sure was put there intentionally. Good job overall though and I hope you keep writing!

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:13 pm
View Likes
Catri says...

Hey Tabby :) You asked me to read this and so I decided - why the hell not? So here's my review for you, even if it comes out a little... crap. I apologise for that in advance.

First of all, there are no gramatical errors that I can see so we'll skip that part. You said in the spoiler that it's a tad cliche but you know what? That's what I love about it. You took that cliche and you wrote it really, really well. I commend you for that :)

I loved how completely... teenager-y (that's not even a word, but you get my meaning >.<) their reactions are. It's panicky but not quite there yet, because they don't really realise the full impact of what's happening. It was really cleverly written in that aspect because their ages seem... clearer.

I think you've done really well with this piece and I'm sorry I can't give you any constructive critique. My only advice is to not hate on the cliche. Seriously, it's epic :) Oh, and I love the name.
You were born an original. Don't die a copy.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:37 am
View Likes
AllyGrLxOX says...

Hey there Tabby! It's Ally here to review as requested!

Let me just say that I found this very enjoyable and easy to read! The flow was very smooth, and I don't have many nitpicks, only a few near the begining.

Also your spoiler made me laugh! xD
Sure the title's a tad cliche but if done right who cares! You certainly are doing it right!

Noah walked out his front door, and up to the grey truck that had pulled up in front of his house. He smoothed back his short black hair with one hand, and opened the door with the other. He climbed into the passenger’s seat, slammed the door and buckled his seatbelt, then turned to the person in the driver’s seat, and smiled at her, “Hey gorgeous.”

This seemed to me very "step by step" the readers aren't here to be told a story, they want to see the story!
So I'd work on this paragraph to make it less like instructions on how to make peanut butter and jelly, and make it read more like a story! :D

Now, when they were hopelessly in love, yet completely carefree, it wasn’t something that would last.

I don't think you're using the commas correctly. I think it should read like "Now when they were hoplessly in love and utterly carefree, but it couldn't last."

“Dude, are you alright?”

Erhm...she just told him that she's pregnat and she's calling him dude? To me that word totally throws off the seriousness of their conversation.

“Oh God,” his hands started shaking.

I would add more despair to how he feels besides just "his hands started shaking."

Overall I think you did a great job with this considering that most of it was dialogue! Since I hate writing dialogue I'm not the best dialogue-critiquer!
So I'd say that you did a great job and I can't wait to see where the rest of the story is headed! :)

Any questions?
Feel free to PM me(:
HEY YOU!
Yeah you! :D

You should check out my latest novel "Part of the Night!"
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/novel.php?id=877
^Click,Click,Click,Click,Click,Click,Click,Click,Click,Click,Click,

Why haven't you clicked on the link yet!

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

OHMIGOSH! I love it. I seriously do. The grammar is correct, everything. You got the dialogue correct, and even made it feel believeble. You made me want to scream at Jule for even thinking of an abortion!

Grammar:
Nice. Nice nice nice.

Storyline/Plot:
Yes, its been done before. But who cares? You can make it work. It's been done before because it's a classic storyline that can be played diffrent ways.

Description:
This is where I think you could improve. It's from Noah's point of veiw right? Well make us feel like we're there in the car with them. What does the seat feel like, is it hot, is it cold? The answers to these questions will make it look believeable.

Impression of the MC/C:
I feel as if I know and love them already. That's good. But we need to know what Jule looks like. We really and truly do. And Noah to, but later in the chapter.

Hope it helps, let me know when you post more,
~pointe
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:55 am
View Likes
niclie says...

I love this story and how at the end of your entry you leave us hanging thinking about if she really will get rid of the baby. I loved your grammer, word choice and flow. You see to have a talent for writting. Please post more soon. Keep up the writing and the good work!

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm
View Likes
Hecate says...

Hey there, Tabby! I'm here to review for you as requested!
I'll start out with the nitpicks, get them out of the way.

Noah walked out his front door, and up to the grey truck that had pulled up in front of his house.

Your first sentence is your hook. You want to make the reader read more. This sentence doesn’t do it for me. It’s choppy, the flow is off and I know for a fact that with a bit of an effort you could write an excellent first sentence that makes us want to read on. This is the purpose of your first sentence, to make us want to read the rest of your story.

He smoothed back his short black hair with one hand, and opened the door with the other.

Did he really smooth back his short black hair and open the door at the same time and that’s why he needed both hands? Imagine that happening. Doesn’t it seem kind of strange? Also, the fact that he smoothed back his hair made him sound like one of those guys who care too much about their appearance, perhaps self centered?

He climbed into the passenger’s seat, slammed the door and buckled his seatbelt, then turned to the person in the driver’s seat, and smiled at her, “Hey gorgeous.”

The word ‘slammed’ is harsh, almost violent. I’m not sure that’s what you’re looking for here. This world alone creates an almost violent atmosphere for that sentence and angry emotions. I would use a different word.

Right then, now that we're done with the nitpicks, let's talk storyline. I feel like you rushed the events. It's all happening really quickly. We have no time to get to know the characters and form a relationship and connection with them and all of a sudden this big thing happens. It sounds like the bulk of the novel will be revolving around this issue. You could perhaps, start out earlier. We could see her for instance, worrying about being pregnant, her period being late, her finding out, the way she feels when she does. At this stage, it's all too...factual. We can't form a connection with the characters. This is definitely something to work on.

At this stage in time your characters are just... not real. I mean, they are, but I don't know them. So what if this girl got pregnant and told her boyfriend? The emotions, the feelings, the reactions appropriate are not there. There's so much more you could do with this, you could develop it much further. I hope you do, because as of now, it's just a story about a random pregnant girl. That's my main advice to you. DEVELOP your characters, give them character. Show us who they really are through their actions and emotions.

Other than that, stories about teen pregnancies are always interesting. If you manage to take this issue and make something out of it, really present it the way it is through these two characters, it will be a good read.

At the end, I'm guessing that was supposed to be a cliffhanger. I would suggest instead of 'considering' to get an abortion, she could just say 'I'm getting an abortion.' This would make it more final and more of a cliffhanger and would make us want to find out if she really will. 'Considering' implies that her mind can easily be changed and it doesn't cause any alarm in the reader.

Those are all my points I guess. It's a good idea, it just needs to be developed further.
I'm sure that if you sit down with it for a day and really think about your characters and their actions and the way they would move and talk, really develop them and really help us connect with them and bring out their emotions, that would make this a strong piece worth reading. Good luck and keep writing ;)

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu May 26, 2011 11:38 pm
View Likes
creativelyyours says...

This is really good. Even though I already knew what Julie was going to tell Noah, I couldn't stop reading it until I reached the end. Your portrayal of the characters make them really likable, which makes me want to know more about them. I especially love Julie's list of reasons why she couldn't be classified as an adult. This made me feel sorry for her because I could feel her fear and panic. I'm looking forward to the next chapter:)
~God is Love. Love like God.~

Check out the world of the characters of How We Rock. Listen to their favorite songs, get an all access pass to Jessie's Song Journal, and more!
http://www.wix.com/ncm888/howwerock

*gestures in butterfly meme*
— BluesClues