z

Young Writers Society

Almost

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:32 pm
Angela says...

This is my newest story, and it is like my baby. Please treat it fairly. This story was written for the sheer purpose of having some nice semi-plotted fluff to read. Carry onward with that little nugget of knowledge.

Almost

By Angela

Victoria wandered around the island of her tiny kitchen. It was late, and she was tired. It had been a long day at the office; office being home. Being in her late 20s just wasn’t the same as being in her early 20s. She poured herself a glass of water and slowly sipped her way through it. She wandered over to the living room of her tiny apartment, flipping the light switch as she walked in. Victoria set her glass down gently on the coaster near the couch, and plopped onto the welcoming rectangle of lumps and mumps. The warm white cushioning rushed up to her and wrapped its arms around her. The couch was worn out and bumpy in some places, but Victoria loved it. It had seen her through so much. Her man, her move… Her life, really. Even though he had been absent for almost a year now, it still held a faint trace of her man if she dug her face in far enough. Victoria sighed. It was going to be one of those nights. The kind where if she wasn’t careful, it would end with her crying her eyes out and shouting about how unfair life was. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately), Victoria had enough experiences with these kind of nights that she knew what to do. Find the hottest, youngest guy around and screw his brains out. At his place, of course. She really didn’t need any stalkers staking out her new place. Victoria sighed again.

She knew what she should do. But it was just too much effort. Having to shower again, do her makeup, get dressed in an outfit 2 sizes too small, and then there was the flirting. Having to sit at the bar for what could be an hour before a likely candidate showed up, and then having deal with desperate pawing males just wasn't going to happen tonight. Victoria burrowed deeper into the couch until the blankets resting on top of the headrest fell down on her. It was going to be a very long night.

Just as she was settling in for a FRIENDS rerun, there was a knock at the door. What idiot shows up at this time of night? Victoria thought. Nonetheless, she walked over and checked the peep hole. What she saw made her want to both die and dance for joy.

A man stood outside her door. He had his wrinkled (he never was much good at ironing) office clothes on, battered brief case in hand, and his black hair had that look to it that comes after a stressful day. His eyes though, told it all. A deep shade of blue with light tints of stress, anxiety, and an overpowering look of vulnerability. Victoria turned away from the peephole. She pressed her back flat against the door, panic flowering in her chest. Did she dare open the door? If she did, Victoria knew it was something that would change her entire world. But what if she didn’t? She would be plagued forever with the ‘what if’s and other such questions. The knock came again, and Victoria could practically hear him bouncing on his heels nervously. He had always had his annoying habits. She took one deep calming breath, and opened the door. The man stood there, a nervous smile upon his lips. Oh those lips… thought Victoria. Before Victoria knew what was happening, she was having surprisingly vivid flashbacks to those lips all over her body. Her lips, her neck… Victoria mentally shook herself. But despite her best efforts, a light, sensual shiver shook her spine. She folded her arms and leaned against the doorframe. A cold stare accompanied her words,

“What do you think you are doing here?”
He said,

“My car broke down up the street. It’s pouring rain out. I saw your name on the apartment buzz-me-in list.” The man shrugged. Victoria quirked one eyebrow and said,

“ I'm not sure what the best way to put this is, but I don't care."Victoria made to shut the door, tears already pricking at her eyes. But a strong hand stopped it from shutting all the way. Such wonderfuly strong hands... The man poked his head in the crack and said,

“I’m sorry.” Staring at the carpet, Victoria said,

“Well, I’m sorry too. That it took you so long to come back. But things change. For all you know, there’s a man in my bed waiting for me to come back so we can make wild and crazy love on our wedding night.” The man quickly cut in,

“Is there?” The hurt in his eyes drove needles farther than through Victoria’s heart. She opened her mouth, but quickly shut it again. Was she really willing to lie to Remington? Victoria opened her mouth again and said,

“No.” Although he tried to hide it, the joy in Remington’s eyes was obvious. He continued,

“Victoria… I’ve missed you.” He moved in to kiss her lips, but Victoria turned her head so he only caught her cheek. His lips were as tender as ever. She looked at him, and tears continued pricking at her eyes as she said,

“I’ve missed you too. But have you thought that I might have a life now? Maybe after you left, I went running straight into you brother’s arms. He was always so kind to me.” The man shook his head and said,

“But you didn’t. I called and asked him.” Victoria was getting a little desperate now. She had to prove she wasn’t totally dependent on him. She said,

“Well, maybe I have a kid. Maybe there is a baby girl sleeping in a crib in my room. Maybe she’s getting ready to wake up and need me.” Remington shook his head and said,

“There isn’t one.”

“How do you know?”

“I just know.” Victoria sighed in exasperation. She unfolded her arms and said,

“Well, your ‘just know’ wrong. Her name is Alexandria.” Remington stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes widened. Victoria nodded and continued, “Yeah, that’s right. I have a wonderful baby girl, and she doesn’t need a father. I sure didn’t. Besides, I’m not even sure who her father is.” Victoria cut off, and her hands flew to her mouth, but the damage was done. Remington seemed to cave in on himself. He sank to the floor outside Victoria’s door. His eyes showed so much hurt that Victoria almost bent down to hold him and let him cry into her. But she didn’t. She sat down across from him, her back leaning against the door. Remington was staring down into his lap, and Victoria watched. He glanced up at her, looking for the world like an abandoned puppy as he said,

“Is it true?”

“Yes.”

“Can I see her?” Victoria hesitated. Remington had broken her heart --left her in a proverbial gutter-- almost a year ago. Now he wanted to just waltz back into her life and see her baby girl? She sighed and said,

“Yes.” She got up and helped Remington from where he had collapsed. She led him through her small apartment to her baby’s small room. Silently, she pushed the door open and Remington followed her inside like a shadow.

Little Alexandria lay in her yellow sheets, sleeping peacefully. She was wrapped in them tightly, and Victoria couldn’t help but reach down and pick up her little girl. Miraculously, Alexandria stayed asleep, and Victoria kissed the little girl’s head. Remington looked on, the overwhelming display of affection between mother and daughter slipping into his heart and awakening some dormant feelings he never knew he had. The urge to hold and protect the two girls was so powerful he almost wrapped Victoria in his arms, but he restrained himself. Victoria smiled down at her baby, the love in her eyes abundant. Remington walked the few steps it took to reach Victoria and he whispered,

“Can I hold her?” Victoria turned to him, and was surprised when her nose brushed his. Without breaking eye contact with him, she nodded. Gently, she passed her baby girl over to him, and he enveloped Alexandria with a tenderness Victoria didn’t know he still had. How could someone so tender have hurt her so much? He smiled down at Alexandria as she slept, and whispered, “Hello sweetheart.” Victoria felt a trusting warmth envelope her being. She whispered so quietly she was surprised her,

“I lied, you know.” He looked questioningly over at her. Victoria took a deep breath and murmured, “Alexandria is yours. I tried to pretend she wasn’t at first, but she is.” Remington stared at her, glanced down at Alexandria, and then back to Victoria. He whispered so Victoria could barely hear him,

“She’s mine? My daughter?” Victoria took a deep breath and nodded. He grinned down at Alexandria, a new glint in his eyes. He shifted her so he held Alexandria in one arm, and placed the now free limb around Victoria’s shoulders. Almost against her will, Victoria leaned into him. He still smelled like soft-serve ice cream. It was the familiar smell of him that finally caused the floodgates to open, and tears started streaming down Victoria’s face. Remington looked over to her, and was shaken to the very core when he saw Victoria was crying. Carefully, he put Alexandria back in her crib and led Victoria out into the living room after quietly shutting the baby’s door. He settled Victoria into the couch and he sat down next to her, pulling her onto his lap. She leaned her head against his chest and cried quietly. Alec stroked her hair.

In the almost 3 years they had been dating before the incident, he had never seen Victoria cry. Not once. They had watched sad movies, gone to funerals, and even had to have her dog euthanized, but not once had she cried. It had always been stony silence of acceptance.

Slowly, Victoria stopped crying. By the time that had happened, she had already gone to Alexandria twice when she cried, and slowly rocked her back to sleep. Remington had accompanied her both times. As they returned the second time, Victoria sat down on one end of the couch and Remington sat down on the other. She sighed and said,

“So now what? You know that Alexandria is yours, and you’ve seen me cry. Anything other hell-froze-over things you need to hear?” Remington sighed and said,

“I think we need to talk about why we split up.” Victoria leaned down with her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands and said,

“Remy, in case you didn’t catch on, I’ve had a bit of a rough night. Do we really have to talk about your secretary and her size-Ds right now?” Alec stood up scooted over and took Alexandria’s hands in his and said,

“This is what I was always trying to explain: It wasn’t how it looked. Do you want to hear my side of the story?” Victoria leaned back on the couch and closed her eyes. She said,

“Not particularly. But go ahead; I might as well get this over with.” Remington sighed and said,

“Thank you. Lauren came in to hand me some files. I noticed she was crying, so I cleared off a space on my desk for her to sit down. The chairs were being used for a big meeting. She burst out and explained how she had just had a really bad breakup with her boyfriend. I gave her a hug and told her how awful that was. When I stepped back, she started saying how I had always been good to her, and she started taking off her clothes. I tried to stop her by grabbing her wrists. And, that’s when you walked in. That’s it. Nothing else happened.” Victoria nodded, trying to process this as best she could. She said,

“So… the fact she had the biggest breasts I have ever seen in my entire life is just a coincidence?” Remington nodded and said,

“Well, not really. The guys who hired her were looking for something new to ogle since you stopped coming to the office all the time.” Victoria smiled and said,

“Actually, the only reason I came that day was to tell you I was pregnant. When I saw you with that whore, I just couldn’t stand the idea that my baby—who was already born out of wedlock—was going to grow up like me: with a father who was always screwing the secretary. I couldn’t do that to an innocent child.” Remington nodded. He took Victoria’s chin and turned her face to his. He said in an undertone,

“I know. I’m sorry I hurt you so much,” There was a long pause before he continued, “Victoria, I’ve always loved you. I know I always will. All those months we were apart, all I did was think about you. And I want to be able to stop resorting to thinking about you and actually see you. Every day. For the rest of my life. Will you marry me?” Victoria let out a small gasp. Remington’s eyes shined at her in the sunset’s fading light. She replied in a rush,

“No.”

Remington’s shoulders drooped; his whole face fell in on itself all over again. Now it was her turn to force him to face her as she continued, “No, I won’t marry you right now. I understand that you want to take me back with a grand sweeping gesture, but I haven’t seen you in a year. You could have changed. I know I’ve changed since then. We have a daughter, for crying out loud. I need to know if you can be a good husband and a good father. I need to know that if you changed, it was for the better, and you need to know the same about me. I won’t marry you right now. But maybe, after we’ve been dating for a little longer… we’ll see when we get there.” Victoria gently kissed Remington’s cheek. He nodded as she pulled back and said,

“You’re right. I’m being impulsive,” There was a pause; “I suppose I should probably leave. I think the rain’s cleared up.” He got up. Victoria smirked up at him and said,
“There was never any rain. I would have noticed.” Remington smiled sheepishly. Victoria stood up too and continued, “You know, I’m not doing anything this Friday. We could get together then.” Remington smiled at her and said,

“Pizza and I’ll make the Box Office run?” Victoria laughed and said,

“You know me too well.” Remington walked to the door; Victoria gave him a hug. As he walked down the hall of her apartment complex, Victoria waved and mouthed,

“’Bye.” He waved back and mouthed,

“I love you.” Victoria smiled and a warmth enveloped her she hadn't felt in over a year. Things weren't perfect and they never would be, but improvement was inevitable.
Last edited by Angela on Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

236 Reviews

Reviews: 236
Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:44 pm
carelessaussie13 says...

Hi there,
Really nice job. Dialogue, characters, setting, all top notch. Not much to criticize. My only problem with the story was the very ending. Victoria seemed like a strong character, and I was pretty sure I liked her, but the you said that everything was going to be okay now that she was back together with Alec. I mean, it had been a year since he left her; you'd think she'd have learned by now that having a boyfriend does not make the world perfect. Just saying, you know, you could just change the last couple of sentences to say, like, "Things would still be hard, but with Alec there, for the first time all year, things were looking up." or something.
Anyway. Well done, good little piece.
PM me if you have any questions.
-Aussie
“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” - Freya Stark

498 Reviews

Reviews: 498
Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:32 am
theotherone says...

Hello there. :)

I'll begin with the nitpicks and then go on with my overall impression.

She poured herself a glass of water and slowly sipped at it.

I think it sounds better if you get rid of the at.

and then having to some verbal dancing just wasn’t in the cards tonight.

I'm not sure I get that part... You might want to be more specific.

Before Victoria knew what was happening, she was having surprisingly vivid flashbacks of those lips all over her body.

The man shrugged. He said,

“My car broke down up the street. It’s pouring rain out.” He shrugged.

You're repeating yourself here. I think it's better if you erase the second on.

How could someone so tender have hurt her so much?

I think it's pretty weird that they have been apart for a year, and he wants to talk to her about that just now? You mentioned that he has tried to talk to her before... Maybe put more emphasis on that, and maybe do a flashback or just a thought about that? Your characters are pretty well built, and I applaud you for that. This is a good story, and I hope this was useful.

Keep writing!

-Other One
Behind every mask, lies a man that can't live in his own skin. - Woe is Me <3
Need a reviewer? I don't bite, I promise. :) ---> viewtopic.php?f=188&t=76466

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:37 pm
renttwin12 says...

Beautiful job! You have been able to capture a realistic sense of emotion, something I envy you for :) The only thing I have to say about this is I got a little confused about who was talking when because I think most of the time it said Alec when Victoria was talking and vice versus. But that's about it! I love this story and how, even though it has just begun, you have the perfect amount of emotion at all the right parts of the story. Well Done! :) Can't wait to read more! <3 rent
There's only now, there's only here. Give into love, or live in fear. ~Jonathan Larson's RENT

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:01 pm
Shearwater says...

Hi Angela! Thank you for requesting me, I'm here to review.
I'll try to be as nice as I can but don't hate me if I sound somewhat harsh.

Nitpicks/Comments

Victoria slowly walked around the island of her tiny kitchen. It was late, she was tired, and her age was starting to get to her. Being in her late 20s just wasn’t the same as being in her early 20s.

The first thing I noticed was the opener. You want to make the opening sentence exciting to pull the readers in and catch their attention. Why not start off with something along the lines of "Being in your late twenties isn't nearly the same as being in your early twenties" You've already stated this but not as an opening sentence. Try flipping those around. Also, make sure you write out every number under a hundred
He said,

“My car broke down up the street. It’s pouring rain out. I saw your name on the apartment buzz-me-in list.” The man shrugged. Victoria quirked one eyebrow and said,

This should be:
He said, "My car broke down...."
You should not put in that line break there.
In fact, you do this quite a bit and it's hard to read and follow the flow. Remember to have correct dialogue punctuation otherwise it'll be difficult to understand who is saying what.
She whispered so quietly she was surprised her,

What?
“Alexandria is yours. I tried to pretend she wasn’t at first, but she is.”

First of all, she's been neglecting him for a year and all of a sudden she wants to tell the truth? That this child is his. Why?
Remington had accompanied her both times. As they returned the second time,

It's bugging me that you keep referring to him as Remington and then Alec. Pick one otherwise it gets a little confusing. There was one part where I had to go back and check whether or not I missed anything because I thought they were two different guys.
Remington sighed and said,

And said, and said, and said, and said. You have this repetition going on and it gets boring to read. I suggest you go back and vary your dialogue so it stays fresh and interesting.
“There was never any rain. I would have noticed.”

Wait, there was no rain? Oh man, that is the worst excuse ever. D:

Overall

I'm not sure what I think about this piece. I'm going to be honest and say that it was a little hard for me to keep my interest in it. Mostly because there were quite the bit of punctuation and dialogue errors that kept making me confused and I felt like picking at them all but I didn't want to waste my time with that. I pointed out one or two and I think those errors were reoccurrences and you should go back and fix them. If you have trouble with it, try looking on the YWS grammar and writing help forum to aid you with some basics of proper punctuation and all.
Link: forum151.html

Now, taking a closer look at your plot, I found some of it unbelievable. Writing romance can prove to be quite difficult since there are many emotions that being played. Not only that but there has been so many romance stories that it can get a little old and cliche. That being said, you have to make sure your plot is fresh and new or have some really great characters to keep us interested in it. Okay, you do provide us with something interesting, don't get me wrong. I find the emotional pain of your protagonist's past to be something that you can totally build on and expand. With more information and how it ties into the way she right now, I think it could elevate your story.

And the part where she's crying, you mentioned that it was the only time she cried and Remington being there...well I just figured that you'd give some more feeling to it. It sounded like just a regular old crying scene and I was a bit disappointed with that because I wanted to read more of that pain so I could connect with her and feel it.

Overall, I think there are areas in which you can improve on and other other ares in which you can expand on. You need to review proper punctuation with your dialogue and then it'll read more cleanly - which will allow more reviewers to comment on it without getting distracted by the little things. With more editing, I think this can be even better. I liked the idea, just needs some more expanding. In the end, it's still good and has potential.

Hope this helped,
-Shear
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:23 am
Sins says...

Hey, Angela!

I'm finally here to review this. I'm ever so sorry it's taken me a while. You seem to have already gotten some great reviews, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to add. With any luck though, I'll be able to find something that no one else has mentioned already. I'm not going to mention any grammatical errors or nit-picks because I'd rather concentrate on the deeper stuff. If you do want me to comment on the little things though, let me know. :)

I agree with Pink on what she said about the beginning. There's not really anything that draws us in. It could easily be the beginning of a random sentence in chapter seven of a novel or something. I like what Pink suggested as the opener actually. I think you should go with that. If not, there are plenty of other ways you could start this more effectively. You need something that really draws us readers in, something that hooks us readers so that we want to read on. With a little editing, I definitely think that you can do that.

My main problem with this right now is that I find it a tad bit unrealistic. I mean, would the pair really act that... normal about the whole situation? It kind of felt as though Remington wasn't really fazed by the fact that he was a father. He just kind of accepted it and acted as though it wasn't a big deal. It was a little odd how Victoria just let him see the baby. If he'd hurt her that much, would she have really been so willing to let him see her child? It wasn't as though she thought about it much.

I found the proposal especially odd. I got the impression that they'd been split up for a while. Even if they hadn't, it would have been odd for him to have proposed as easily as that. You wanted it to be impulsive, and it certainly was. It was too impulsive though, in my opinion. He didn't at all seem bothered that Victoria said no though either. It was a bit like the reaction of the baby. I'm a dad? Oh, cool. That's life. I couldn't help but imagine him thinking that. xD

The other issue I'm having is that, as a whole, this is feeling a bit flat to me at the moment. Your telling us about your characters crying, about them feeling sad, feeling happy e.t.c, but I'm not feeling anything from it. Let's take the example of Victoria being hurt badly after what Remington did. She keeps telling us how he hurt her, but she easily lets him into her house to see her child - the one who is his daughter who, at first, he doesn't know about. I find it hard to believe she'd do that so easily and emotionless.

It's not that what your characters are doing is emotionless... There's just something a bit off right now. Try showing us what your characters are feeling, and try making their reactions and behaviour a little more believable. By doing that, us readers will feel a connection with the characters, therefore, sending out clearer emotions. There are some points where you do this, but I think that you really could do better! :)

This piece definitely has a load of potential. You've got the beginning of a potentially great plot here, so well done for that. All that you need to do know is to give this a bit of an overall edit, and build it up. If you do that, I think that this could be a really nice piece of writing here.

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:52 am
Yuriiko says...

Hello there!

Here as requested.

Seeing that the previous critiques has taken care well of the nitpicks, corrections and stuffs, I don't think I still need to do a line-by-line review. Though I hope this review would still be of help. Here it goes.

First of all, I have noticed that your opening paragraph leaves me confused. What I mean is that, there are some sentences that are awkwardly phrased.

Victoria wandered around the island of her tiny kitchen. It was late, and she was tired. It had been a long day at the office; office being home. Being in her late 20s just wasn’t the same as being in her early 20s. She poured herself a glass of water and slowly sipped her way through it. She wandered over to the living room of her tiny apartment, flipping the light switch as she walked in. Victoria set her glass down gently on the coaster near the couch, and plopped onto the welcoming rectangle of lumps and mumps. The warm white cushioning rushed up to her and wrapped its arms around her. The couch was worn out and bumpy in some places, but Victoria loved it. It had seen her through so much. Her man, her move… Her life, really. Even though he had been absent for almost a year now, it still held a faint trace of her man if she dug her face in far enough. Victoria sighed. It was going to be one of those nights.

You noticed that you have used a word twice in a row. However, I won't be only setting my attention to it, there are lots of matters that I should probably say too. I don't find the opening line to be an effective puller of your reader's attention. Some are just not needed, especially of your main character's depictions. I know there are better and simpler ways of showing it to your readers. And also, spelling out '20' wouldn't hurt, right?

Your transition of dialogs are one of your weaknesses here. Well, it seems that Pink has given you a link, but still I would like to explain some things about it.

A cold stare accompanied her words,

“What do you think you are doing here?”
He said,

“ I'm not sure what the best way to put this is, but I don't care."Victoria made to shut the door, tears already pricking at her eyes. But a strong hand stopped it from shutting all the way. Such wonderfuly strong hands... The man poked his head in the crack and said,

“I’m sorry.” Staring at the carpet, Victoria said,

Just by reading it, it makes me think of two things: something about keyboard problems or just how you write dialogs. It looks informal and makes your readers think that you're still a beginner. Use '"backspace" to connect "he said," with any dialog. Anyways, I am impressed with your character's dialogs. It's a good thing that you're making the pace easy for us, and the emotions are blended well into the story. It is romantic/sweet and I just could not stop reading, especially in the middle part; the part where I recognized it as a climatic scene. The dialogs are one of the factors why your piece make it looks so realistic. :)

Perhaps I would want just to clarify of their reactions. It's just a bit fast-paced, I mean, if I'd been Remington, I'd be totally surprised. Well, in the story he sound like surprised... but you need to show it. And about the story plot, well you have a good one, but it appears as if it's totally been overused: cheating and unexpected pregnancy... all those clichéd problems that we usually see on books, radios and even on movies. :wink:

Speaking about your characters, they are developing. They might start off as flat, but I know (and expect) that they'll come out as something outstanding and well-created. However, try to show more of their personal thoughts, let us also know what is Remington feeling and everything.

Overall, this has potential. And I would also thank you for the request. Hope this helps and PM me for any questions, okay? :D

Keep writing and peace out,
Yuri
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:26 am
Shreya says...

It;s nice.

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:27 am
MiaParamore says...

Hey there. Thanks for the request, first.

The beginning? I think it was kinda boring. Sorry. I mean the first line was a hooker, no doubt about it, but what happened next was kind of weird to me. You didn't need to tell us everything bit by bit she was doing in the start but after we were introduced or familiar to her a bit more. The office part was another boring thing to me-sure we need to know she worked from home, but rather than just saying it was a tiring day you could have told us how exactly it was boring and not if that then what exactly she worked for or what she did. When you introduce something new to any character or something out of the ordinary then make sure to be true to it, explain it and don't leave it hanging in the air. This is very important for us to know if the question's been raised. Or else you don't tell us she worked from home. Now about descriptions-I found them a bit less or almost decreasing as the story unfolded and as we progressed till the end. You were good with them in the start, a bit too much maybe, but at least tolerable unlike my writing. So I'd advice you to tell us more about how Remington looked and how exactly she had fallen for him-which aspects of his made her love him. Because this kind of crap might seem irrelevant in other kinds of stores but in Romantic, that's the catch point. You need to sometimes exaggerate at these things, or else the story would lack the feel. Just bring in the emotions more vividly.

My most important nit-pick for this would be that when we were reading in the beginning, I quite literally thought that Victoria had a lover who she couldn't meet right now since he was out somewhere abroad or on some mission or something of the sort. That's what your words made me feel. Then the next bug thing would that all this while before Victoria blurted that she had a daughter, we never had a slightest hint of it. We never really find her wondering about the girl-but that might be fine considering you wanted to keep this as a suspense. But otherwise, I am not pleased with the way you brought this fact out. I believed that she was lying about the child even when she was taking him inside, but there was really a child. Shock! So it's not necessary to bring the fact out before but you could keep a bit more climax like she wonders about the 'someone' besides her in the house, and all, which doesn't give away the thing, but doesn't surprise us right when we get to know of Alex's existence.

Other thing-it totally lacked sense. If Victoria had seen him with Laurel so didn't he ever try to make up her or try to put forward an apology. Maybe he had, but I can't quite frankly feel or think that he had. They seemed to be talking like they hadn't ever met after that day. Also, if they had some mutual friends, which I guess they might have had, or common acquaintances, since they were in the same office, so won't they've told Remington about her pregnancy? I just felt this kind of weird, but that can be my own problem of understanding things really slowly or maybe of including lots of 'ifs' and 'buts'. Else is fine, but my other problem was with your emotions. Completely dull as the story began unfolding. I could have liked more of how they actually were with each other earlier, and even Remington could have thought of something he liked about Tori. It's not a compulsion for Tori alone. Because as I've said earlier, their s a lot of requirement of crap like this in Romance.

Overall, I liked it-it was sweet, but nothing great if we look from the 'Romantic' point of view. There were some mistakes here and there but I thought of it not much and spared you of them, but just read this and edit it up a bit on your own. I believe you could re-write portions of it, because I know sometimes editing makes the piece more crappy-at least it does for me. Anyways, this was sweet, but I really didn't like the name of the guy. It sounded something from ancient periods. Even names can affect the mindset of the readers. Just keep that in mind. Last for today-why this title?

Bye and thanks for the read,
Shubhi
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:02 pm
Jashael says...

Hello, Angela! Jash here as requested. =) I will divide my review into two parts as it will be easier for me, is that okay? This first post will contain the nitpicks and grammatical structure comments; the next one, therefore, will include the overall--evaluation--of your work. =))

Here it goes...

NITPICKS]|CHANGED|PAY ATTENTION

It had been a long day at the office; office being home.

>> Here we see a common misuse of the semicolon. Semicolon is a strong punctuation; it must not be abused. I suggest using a dash or simply a comma.

Being in her late 20s just wasn’t the same as being in her early 20s.

>> I suggest using the word form: twenties. =)

Even though he had been absent for almost a year now, it still held a faint trace of her man if she dug her face in far enough.

Victoria sighed.

She really didn’t need any stalkers staking out her new place.

Victoria sighed again.

These are NP (New Paragraph) suggestions.

But it was just too much effort. Having to shower again, do her makeup, get dressed in an outfit 2 sizes too small. And then there was the flirting.

Having to sit at the bar for what could be an hour before a likely candidate showed up, <no comma>and then having deal with desperate pawing males just wasn't going to happen tonight.

Victoria burrowed deeper into the couch until the blankets resting on top of the headrest fell down on her.

Just as she was settling in for a FRIENDS rerun, there was a knock at the door.

>> I'm not quite sure with what "FRIENDS" has to do with, but I suggest you use italics for emphasis, or quotation marks.

He had his wrinkled (he never was much good at ironing) office clothes on, battered brief case in hand, and his black hair had that look to it that came after a stressful day.

A deep shade of blue with light tints of stress, anxiety, and an overpowering look of vulnerability.

Victoria turned away from the peephole.

But what if she didn’t? She would be plagued forever with the ‘what if’s and other such questions.

The knock came again, and Victoria could practically hear him bouncing on his heels nervously.

He had always had his annoying habits.

>> He still did at that particular time, right? =)

She took one deep calming breath, and opened the door.

The man stood there, a nervous smile upon his lips.

Oh those lips, thought Victoria.

A cold stare accompanied her words.

He said, <no NP: NOTE: If you see anything without the NP, I've deleted that part.>“My car broke down up the street. It’s pouring rain out. I saw your name on the apartment buzz-me-in list.” The man shrugged.

Victoria quirked one eyebrow and said, “<no space>I'm not sure what the best way to put this is, but I don't care."

Victoria made to shut the door, tears already pricking at her eyes. But a strong hand stopped it from shutting all the way. Such wonderfully strong hands...

The man poked his head in the crack and said, “I’m sorry.”

Staring at the carpet, Victoria said, “Well, I’m sorry too. That it took you so long to come back. But things change. For all you know, there’s a man in my bed waiting for me to come back so we can make wild and crazy love on our wedding night.”

The man quickly cut in, “Is there?” The hurt in his eyes drove needles farther than through Victoria’s heart.

She opened her mouth, but quickly shut it again. Was she really willing to lie to Remington? Victoria opened her mouth again and said, “No.”

Although he tried to hide it, the joy in Remington’s eyes was obvious. He continued,“Victoria… I’ve missed you.” He moved in to kiss her lips, but Victoria turned her head so he only caught her cheek. His lips were as tender as ever.

She looked at him, and tears continued pricking at her eyes as she said, “I’ve missed you too. But have you thought that I might have a life now? Maybe after you left, I went running straight into you brother’s arms. He was always so kind to me.”

The man shook his head and said, “But you didn’t. I called and asked him.”

Victoria was getting a little desperate now. She had to prove she wasn’t totally dependent on him. She said,“Well, maybe I have a kid. Maybe there is a baby girl sleeping in a crib in my room. Maybe she’s getting ready to wake up and need me.”

Remington shook his head and said, “There isn’t one.”

“How do you know?”

“I just know.”

Victoria sighed in exasperation. She unfolded her arms.“Well, your ‘just know’ wrong. Her name is Alexandria.”

Remington stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes widened.

Victoria nodded and continued, “Yeah, that’s right. I have a wonderful baby girl, and she doesn’t need a father. I sure didn’t. Besides, I’m not even sure who her father is.” Victoria cut off, and her hands flew to her mouth, but the damage was done. Remington seemed to cave in on himself. He sank to the floor outside Victoria’s door. His eyes showed so much hurt that Victoria almost bent down to hold him and let him cry into her. But she didn’t. She sat down across from him, her back leaning against the door. Remington was staring down into his lap, and Victoria watched. He glanced up at her, looking for the world like an abandoned puppy.

“Is it true?”he asked.

“Yes.”

“Can I see her?”

Victoria hesitated. Remington had broken her heart<no space>--left her in a proverbial gutter--<no space>almost a year ago. Now he wanted to just waltz back into her life and see her baby girl?

She sighed. “Yes.” She got up and helped Remington from where he had collapsed. She led him through her small apartment to her baby’s small room. Silently, she pushed the door open and Remington followed her inside like a shadow.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

319 Reviews

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:51 am
Jashael says...

Angela, first, I'm going to have to apologize for my slow reviewing. I've been busy with my life (LOL), and SB. XD But I'm here again now. =) And I'm not going to review anything else until I've given you a decent review (I hope) here. =) Thanks for the patience.

NITPICKS|CHANGED|PAY ATTENTION|ADDED

Victoria hesitated. Remington had broken her heart<no space>--left her in a proverbial gutter--<no space>almost a year ago. Now he wanted to just waltz back into her life and see her baby girl?

Victoria sighed and said, “Yes.” She got up and helped Remington from where he had collapsed. She led him through her small apartment to her baby’s small room. Silently, she pushed the door open and Remington followed her inside like a shadow.

Remington walked the few steps it took to reach Victoria and he whispered, “Can I hold her?” Victoria turned to him, and was surprised when her nose brushed his. Without breaking eye contact with him, she nodded. Gently, she passed her baby girl over to him, and he enveloped Alexandria with a tenderness Victoria didn’t know he still had. How could someone so tender have hurt her so much? He smiled down at Alexandria as she slept.and whispered, “Hello sweetheart.”

Victoria felt a trusting warmth envelope her being. She whispered so quietly she was surprised her, “I lied, you know.”

He looked questioningly over at her.

Victoria took a deep breath and murmured, “Alexandria is yours. I tried to pretend she wasn’t at first, but she is.”
Remington stared at her, glanced down at Alexandria, and then back to Victoria.

He whispered so Victoria could barely hear him, “She’s mine? My daughter?”

Victoria took a deep breath and nodded. He grinned down at Alexandria, a new glint in his eyes. He shifted her so he held Alexandria in one arm, and placed the now free limb around Victoria’s shoulders. Almost against her will, Victoria leaned into him. He still smelled like soft-serve ice cream. It was the familiar smell of him that finally caused the floodgates to open, and tears started streaming down Victoria’s face. Remington looked over to her, and was shaken to the very core when he saw Victoria was crying. Carefully, he put Alexandria back in her crib and led Victoria out into the living room after quietly shutting the baby’s door. He settled Victoria into the couch and he sat down next to her, pulling her onto his lap. She leaned her head against his chest and cried quietly. Alec stroked her hair.

I have a question: who's Alec? =|

In the almost three years they had been dating before the incident, he had never seen Victoria cry.

By the time that had happened, she had already gone to Alexandria twice when the baby cried, and slowly rocked her back to sleep.

The change was for avoiding pronoun confusion. =)

As they returned the second time, Victoria sat down on one end of the couch and Remington sat down on the other. She sighed and said,
“So now what? You know that Alexandria is yours, and you’ve seen me cry. Anything other hell-froze-over things you need to hear?”

Remington sighed.and said, “I think we need to talk about why we split up.”

Victoria leaned down with her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands and said, “Remy, in case you didn’t catch on, I’ve had a bit of a rough night. Do we really have to talk about your secretary and her size-Ds right now?”

Alec <Um I'm still a bit confused who Alec is? O_O> stood up scooted over and took Alexandria’s hands in his and said, “This is what I was always trying to explain: It wasn’t how it looked. Do you want to hear my side of the story?”

Victoria leaned back on the couch and closed her eyes. She said, “Not particularly. But go ahead; I might as well get this over with.”

Remington sighed and said, “Thank you. Lauren came in to hand me some files. I noticed she was crying, so I cleared off a space on my desk for her to sit down. The chairs were being used for a big meeting. She burst out and explained how she had just had a really bad breakup with her boyfriend. I gave her a hug and told her how awful that was. When I stepped back, she started saying how I had always been good to her, and she started taking off her clothes. I tried to stop her by grabbing her wrists. And, that’s when you walked in. That’s it. Nothing else happened.”

Victoria nodded, trying to process this as best she could. She said, “So… the fact she had the biggest breasts I have ever seen in my entire life is just a coincidence?”

Remington nodded and said, “Well, not really. The guys who hired her were looking for something new to ogle since you stopped coming to the office all the time.”

Victoria smiled and said, “Actually, the only reason I came that day was to tell you I was pregnant. When I saw you with that whore, I just couldn’t stand the idea that my baby—who was already born out of wedlock—was going to grow up like me: with a father who was always screwing the secretary. I couldn’t do that to an innocent child.”

Remington nodded. He took Victoria’s chin and turned her face to his. He said in an undertone, “I know. I’m sorry I hurt you so much.” There was a long pause before he continued, “Victoria, I’ve always loved you. I know I always will. All those months we were apart, all I did was think about you. And I want to be able to stop resorting to thinking about you and actually see you. Every day. For the rest of my life. Will you marry me?”

Victoria let out a small gasp. Remington’s eyes shined at her in the sunset’s fading light. She replied in a rush, “No.”

Remington’s shoulders drooped; his whole face fell in on itself all over again. Now it was her turn to force him to face her.
[color=#FF0080]¶

[/color]Victoria continued, “No, I won’t marry you right now. I understand that you want to take me back with a grand sweeping gesture, but I haven’t seen you in a year. You could have changed. I know I’ve changed since then. We have a daughter, for crying out loud. I need to know if you can be a good husband and a good father. I need to know that if you changed, it was for the better, and you need to know the same about me. I won’t marry you right now. But maybe, after we’ve been dating for a little longer… we’ll see when we get there.” Victoria gently kissed Remington’s cheek. He nodded as she pulled back and said,

“You’re right. I’m being impulsive,” Remington paused, “I suppose I should probably leave. I think the rain’s cleared up.” He got up.

Victoria smirked up at him and said, “There was never any rain. I would have noticed.” Remington smiled sheepishly. Victoria stood up too and continued, “You know, I’m not doing anything this Friday. We could get together then.”

Remington smiled at her and said, “Pizza and I’ll make the Box Office run?”

Victoria laughed and said, “You know me too well.”

Remington walked to the door; Victoria gave him a hug. As he walked down the hall of her apartment complex, Victoria waved and mouthed, “’Bye.” He waved back and mouthed, “I love you.” Victoria smiled and a warmth enveloped her she hadn't felt in over a year. Things weren't perfect and they never would be, but improvement was inevitable.

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

319 Reviews

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 am
Jashael says...

GRAMMAR/STRUCTURE

Hey, Angela, so you're really good with putting in realistic dialogue, and descriptions were fairly good. The only things that kept on bugging me was obviously the paragraphs structure. If I may suggest, please review dialogue tags. You repeat them too much, which were at times very, very unnecessary. If you follow my nitpicks, you can avoid a lot of confusion. =)

PLOT/CHARACTERS

I kept on asking who Alec was. I was confused there. Did I skip something??? I don't think so. I paid attention throughout. (LOL) Umm...I'll have to say that the plot was nice. It was simple, but even simple plots can be complicated, y'know. XD You've pulled in the threads nicely at the end. The only thing I can probably tell you is, the baby actually shocked me. It felt out of the blue, that it was quite not natural that Victoria lied, or so...but anyway, there's nothing else to be confused about--except Alec. XD

STORY EVALUATION

Maybe we believe in different things (Oh yes we do. Delete the maybe [LOL]), and I'd have to disagree with the moral story, if I got it right. =P 'Cause if I were to ask, they should get married ASAP. (LOL) Anyway, I like your characters mistakes. It's a funny thing actually...makes you go, "That is so true. People over-think most of the time...it's a funny, irritating thing..."

Anyway, I really had fun reading. It was a neat piece. =) Sorry for a worthless review. I tried my best. Feel free to ask me any questions. Keep writing!

~ Jash ♥

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:20 am
guardie4life5296 says...

I like the idea of this story. I think there needs to be a little more about the main characters. Is the guy's name Remington or Alec? I think maybe you should have hinted that Victoria had a daughter in the beginning. When she told Remington(or Alec?) that she had a daughter, I thought she was kidding because in the beginning, it says that she was going to go out to a bar. Also, the first couple of paragraphs were very descriptive and towards the end, it started sounding rushed. Overall, it was a good story. (Maybe just some grammatical issues that need to be fixed.)

:D

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:17 pm
Angela says...

To everyone asking about Alec: I'M SORRY. I went in to change his name and was in a hurry and must have missed a few. So here it is... ALEC=REMINGTON=ALEC. THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME! Sorry for the confusion.
Colossal Compendium of Complications and Confusion = MY LIFE

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
— H. Jackson Brown