z

Young Writers Society

Around the world: America to Poland

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:30 pm
Nike says...

Just because I don’t speak this language very well. Just because I might not write every word write. Just Because I’m not from here.
They disrespect me. They don’t accept me. They make fun of me.
I ignore it. I try to live my life around them.
They are the students at my idiotic school.
Well, I’ll tell you how this all started.
Once upon a time, no, I won’t start like that. Everyone starts like that.
About three years ago my family and I lived in America. We were struggling with financial problems. My dad lost his job and so did my mom. I was in the seventh grade of middle school, my brother in the eighth. My parents started to work in my grandpa’s business –a cleaning business.
They always came home late or just woke up early. We knew about the hard time they were having.

“Alex, you know that someday we’ll move to Poland, right?” my mom asked me.

We stood in the kitchen making dinner. The sun shined in through the kitchen and warmed up the orange kitchen.

“Yeah,” I said.

Those words went from one ear and left through the other. Sometimes I really just thought she said that for fun. I didn’t believe her.
The pan sizzled as she flipped the sausage.
I heard some footsteps coming. I saw the swinging door swing open and saw my dad.

“Hey,” I said.

He smiled at me and sat down on the wooden chair.
I walked out of the kitchen pushing the white door. The sun was also shinning in the red dining room, making the elegant wooden dark brown dining room set gleam.

I was tapping my fingers against the keyboard as words popped up on the screen. They kept on springing the faster I typed.

“Alex!” My mom yelled from downstairs.

I looked away from my screen and stared at my navy blue striped walls.

“What?” I yelled back.

“Come down here!”

I got off the desk chair and went out of the room. The wooden stairs lead me down as I reached the first floor.

“Uhuh,” I murmured.

My parents and brother sat at the dining table. I sat down as well and listened.

“We’re going to move.” My dad recalled.

Okay, we’re going to move. That didn’t really bother me. I mean I would miss my friends but I think that I would still go to the same school. I mean we don’t have enough money to hold on to this beautiful Victorian place so I bet we’ll be moving someone around here that’s cheaper.

“Okay,” I simply said.

I pulled onto my blond braid.

“Where?” my brother asked.

“Poland,” my mom said.

That’s when my heart stopped for a second. I stared wildly at both of my parents.
At that point I couldn’t even breathe.

“Huh,” I spit out.

My brother, Jason, had the same exact reaction. His teal eyes almost popped out of his skull.

“Yeah,” my mom said.

Our family was from Poland. We visited them every three years. My mom’s side lived at the south part of the country and my dad’s side all the way on the other side. It takes about eight hours to get from one side to the other.
The truth is, we all know how speak in Polish. But my parents are from Poland so they know how to write, read and speak the language.
I saw or Maltese puppy walk by me with her tail wagging in a circle.

“Hey Dudu,” I said.

She smiled up at me.
I tried to stay away from this unbelievable conversation.

“We’re gonna have to start packing when?” Jason brought it back in.

“Well, now would be nice. We’re moving when this house sells. Some people are gonna come by tomorrow to view it.” My dad answered.

Great, just what I need right now.
I got off my set with tears running down my cheeks. I ran up the stairs and into my room. I couldn’t take it anymore.

The school desk was so bland. I stared at it thinking about the move. It could never happen! But it was happening!
Something happened as I stared –in my sight.
Something blurry grew and I couldn’t see a little of what I was looking at. No, it wasn’t tears. It was something weird.
I looked up at my teacher and saw just most of her face! The other half was blurry.
My heart started to beat faster as I held my tears. Every time I got this I wanted to cry. I didn’t know what it was.
I called it the: Invisibility thing. I told my mom about it. She said it was from stress. I never went to an eye doctor for it because it wore off after about an hour –once I relaxed. I mostly slept when I got it but at school I couldn’t possibly do that.
One time I got it at school, I told the nurse my stomach hurt and my mom picked me up. My dad found out about it when I told him later. I told my substitute nurse about it when my mom blurted it out on the phone. It’s been with me for five years now –on and off.
It was my last class. Only five minutes were left, I will be fine. My whole body was shivering.
It grew and grew as I shivered and reached half point, kind of.
The bell rang as I packed my backpack and ran out of the gray room and into the red halls.
Thank God my mom was picking me up today.

“It will be fine,” mom said as it was wearing off.

When it wears off I get a huge migraine.

“It’s wearing off.” I recalled.

The move was still bubbling in my mind. When I had this I had to stop thinking about it and no stress. Once I thought about it when I had it and I had it about three times in a row. So, yeah, it’s definitely stress. But ever since it came into my life I had delicate eyes. I used the computer and TV too much and my eye sight went bad. But I can see, not far.
It was getting smaller and smaller as we past the forest next to us. I saw more better.

“Good,” My mom said.

West Dundee was getting closer.
The radio blasted rock music as Jason babbled about school. He didn’t talk at school at all. He was a silent bird.

“Math was great, I got an a plus from a test!” he said happily.

I clapped for my older brother and shut my eyes.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:43 pm
Button says...

Okay: so something kinda funny at first. I moved, with my mother, three years ago, to the Czech Republic. Right next to Poland. :)

Anywho- onto the piece. I think that you could have stayed true to the time lapses more; sometimes, you were very general and vague, quickly telling us about a memory. Other times it felt like you were in the moment instead of a memory. Try to be more consistent with your description. Balance out the "telling" and the "showing".

Overall, this was a nice piece. Try to allow the reader to experience your emotion a bit more. Don't tell us about it; experience it with us, share it with us. I think that if you did that and if you sorted out the description, this could be a strong piece. Nice job.

-Coral-

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:03 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Hi there!
So I was attracted to your title because I'm Polish. =]

Just because I might not write every word write.

The second write should be right.

I was in the seventh grade of middle school,

You don't need to say that. It's assumed that seventh grade is in middle school, so it's just unnecessary information.

The pan sizzled as she flipped the sausage.

If you really want to get into the culture, say kielbasa instead of sausage. ;)

“We’re going to move.” My dad recalled.

So your grammar's wrong here. That period after move should be a comma, and then my should be lowercase. Also, "recalled" isn't exactly the right word. You're much better off just using plain old "said."

I pulled onto my blond braid.

This doesn't really make much sense and seems out of place. You don't need it.

My mom’s side lived at the south part of the country and my dad’s side all the way on the other side. It takes about eight hours to get from one side to the other.

Side side side. Switch up your wording.

The truth is, we all know how speak in Polish. But my parents are from Poland so they know how to write, read and speak the language.

Again, unnecessary information. It's already assumed.

So I like this. You have potential for a great story, but it seems a little unfinished. For one thing, why is Alex so upset about the move? He said he wouldn't miss his friends too much, and wouldn't he didn't seem to like his school too much at the beginning.
Also, the end didn't really do it for me. It didn't tie up the story and really didn't connect much with the start. It's a great beginning, though, if you choose to continue it.
You have a few grammar mistakes, so just proofread it. Other than that, it was technically good.
I hope to see more of your writing. :D
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm
Nike says...

Explosive_Pen: Thanks! Uh, my character is a girl. I'm Polish too.
Persephoneia: Thanks, i'll edit as much as i can!
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

A true poet does not bother to be poetical. Nor does a nursery gardener scent his roses.
— Jean Cocteau