z

Young Writers Society

Zadar: Chapter Two

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:41 am
emmylou1995 says...

Chapter Two

I stood in the field of golden weeds, thin and wispy in the strong morning wind. The sky held fluffy white clouds in its misty blue eternity. I sighed and closed my eyes, allowing the crisp air to wash against my pores.

[i]The night was dim, the shine of the moon silvery against the backdrop of the bare, leafless forest. The wagon had lurched left and right over every bump. I had tried to sleep, but I was too exited for the following day. I was eight, and accompanying my Father on his trip to the next town over to sell our villages furs from the big hunting trip during the autumn season that year. A thin layer of snow sat on the ground, melting slowly and silently, awaiting more to take its place. I stared into the sky, which was filled with hundreds of millions of tiny glittering stars, until I fell fast asleep.

The next morning I awoke, and realized where I was. I was laying in the wagon of furs, and the bustling town was surrounding me. It was a great deal larger than our village. Stone houses towered above me, with short ledges where women stood doing laundry and waving to us. The street was filled with people of all sizes, women and men and children. Honey buns and apple pies lined the makeshift stalls on the street.

My Father drove the wagon through the town, and into the great marketplace.

Music played to one side, the aroma of many foods pierced my nose. A cathedral of elegant, hand carved stone stood over looking the busy market. Many dancers performed on balance beams, dressed in multi colored dresses of red and orange and yellow. Several donkeys, their fur coats rough and messy, crossed the path of the wagon. I stared, open mouthed, at the amazing sight before me. I could not believe my eyes. It was so beautiful, so different than the tiny hunting village I came from. It felt so lively, so bright, that it was a relief to be here and not at home. Father and I had set up our makeshift stall, and had gone to work selling our furs.

After a long day of few profits, my Father and I retired to our wagon, since we had no where else to sleep. I fell asleep fast, weariness from the hot day finally taking its toll on me.

My eyes had sprung open as I heard a scraping noise. I had sat up in the wagon, suddenly alert and wide awake. I could hear my Father snoring beside me. My heart had pounded.

“Hello?” I called timidly and quietly.

Silence met my ears and I did not breath for a moment.

“Is anyone-”

“Shh, sweetie,” a voice had said in the darkness before me.

My eyes had gotten a little bit used to the darkness and I saw the outline of a man before me, outside of the wagon. He had a large lump in his hands. I cocked my head to the left and smiled.

“What are you doing with our furs?” I asked happily, not understanding what the man was doing.

“Why, I am borrowing them,” he replied, his voice hushed.

“Oh, okay. Just make sure you get them back to us.”

“Why, sweetie?”

“Because daddy says he is going to buy me candy with it. I cannot wait, I'm so exited! Mother says I am not allowed to eat candy, for it would ruin my teeth,” I rambled on, “So, what do you plan to use our furs for? Because I really do want some candy from my daddy. I never get candy.”

The man was silent. Then, ever so slowly, he had set the pile of furs onto my lap. I frowned, confused.

“But I thought you were borrowing them?” I asked.

“Not anymore,” the man whispered, then disappeared into the dark night.[/i]

I returned to the present, the memory washing away, and found Casimir at my side. He was tall, his arms uncovered by cloth with a small pouch on his side. I glanced at him, and he smiled at me. His sandy hair was ruffled and mine swayed in the light wind.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey,” I did not smile, instead gazed back at the horizon of trees before me. The memory had shaken me. It was back when Father actually cared about me. I shook my head, angry at myself for thinking those horrible words. But I knew I could not deny myself that they were true as could be. Father loves me, of course, but not like he did before. He never spends time with me, only Casimir and his dirty shoe shop. He's never proud of me, and when I try to make him notice me, he acts like I'm not there. He hugs me, but they are cold hugs with no emotions in them. I hate it. And I can't stand not knowing why he treats me like this! Maybe it's subconscious, but I doubt that.

I turned from the meadow and headed back to the house. Pulling myself through the door, I froze where I stood. Mother sat at the table with her fingers pushed on her temple. But what troubled me more was the sight of the chief standing beside her, with his back to me.

“I am just asking you for one pail of milk. Please, my baby will die without it,” Mother begged.

“Can you not just breastfeed it?” The chief answered in an uncaring voice, with a glance at Hui in his crib. I felt anger arise in me from hearing the chief call my baby brother an 'it'.

“You know full well my dilemma. I cannot breastfeed, for my body is broken.”

“Broken,” he scoffed, “You have no animals, no goats, no cows. Therefore, you have no milk. I'm not sorry, for I have a whole village to take care of.”

“A whole village to take care of! They are all well off, you give them anything they need! And yet for me and my family, you cannot spare a weeks worth of milk? What kind of monster are you?”

“I am no monster.”

Mother tensed her jaw, and I could tell that she noticed that I stood watching them.

“You will not let an innocent child die,” she whispered.

“Really? Is that so?” He whispered back, turning to leave. My eyes caught his and I returned the wicked glare that he was giving me. I clenched my teeth, wanting to hit the chief right then and there. I hesitantly stepped aside and let him through the doorway, watching him all the while.

A pastel colored pink mist flowed around my legs the next morning. The strands of mist, almost like arms, curled up my thighs then trailed away as I walked towards the small wooden shack. Entering through the thick wooden door of the butchers shop, I saw Guff standing behind the counter in the middle of the room. A large slab of dark red, bloody meat was on the table, and he was cutting it with a giant knife. Guff wore a bloodstained apron and his belt was fashioned with many different sized cutting knifes. He looked up at me and smiled, his short orange hair dancing wildly upon his head. His pudgy cheeks lumped together as he smiled widely at me.

“Mornin' darling! What can I get you tonight, Aralyn?”

Guff's skin was a rich tan, darkened from years of sun. The large man continued to hack at the piece of meat before him as he waited for my answer.

“I'd like a medium piece of salted pork, please.”

“Comin' right up!”

Guff disappeared into his back door, leaving the bloody mess of food on the counter before me. I turned my head, not wanting to stare at the pile of...food. He returned holding a huge slab of dried meat in his hand. It was slathered in salt and had a nice pinkish hue to it.

“Seven copper,” Guff charged me, same as always.

“Perfect,” I said, handing him seven copper coins.

Guff leaned over the counter and winked at me. He then stuffed three copper coins back into my hand. I grinned at him.

“Ur birthday present, Little Missy!” he winked as I waved goodbye and walked out, the piece of meat wrapped for me. I carried it home carefully. Mother sent me here to buy this, a special treat for the celebration tonight. A family celebration in honor of my nineteenth birthday.

In the afternoon, when the sun shone hot on the village and an unnatural warm breeze blew through the trees, I was learning how to milk a cow. I had never actually helped milk a cow before. I sat on a little brown stool beside a young girl. Her long hair was a bright gold, almost gold as the sun. Her name was Fania, and she had a heavy accent, for she was from the easternmost side of Zadar. I let her take my hands in hers as she taught me how to milk her families cow. I winced when my fingers touched the animals utter, the skin of the hanging cylinders very, very rubbery. Fania gently moved my hands up and down, and smiled at me as creamy white milk splashed down into the jug beneath it.

“There you go!” Fania clapped happily, “You got it!”

I smiled to myself as I squeezing the utters, not too hard, but just the right amount so that the cow would not become startled. I began to milk the cow in a very steady rhythm. Whenever I strayed from that rhythm, I would get myself back onto it as to not disrupt my milking. One, two, three, one, two, three, one, two, three. Then, the cow suddenly shifted its weight as I was squeezing on an utter. My hand brought the milk up to squirt Fania and I with cow milk.

I was stunned for a moment. I let go of the utters and glanced down at my dress, the white milk dripping down my torso. Glancing over at Fania, I saw her eye twitching. I laughed, falling off the stool into the pile of hay behind me. I heard Fania laugh as well, as I felt my face get warm from laughing so hard. I lost my breath as I giggled happily on the hay in the small barn that belonged to the village. We slowed in laughter after a few minutes and I realized it was time for me to leave. I leaned in close to Fania's ear.

“Would you be so kind as to lend me a small pail of this milk?”

She swiveled her face around to meet my eyes. “You know how little milk there is in this village. Whoever has a cow or goat gets milk. Anyone who doesn't, well, they don't get no milk. You look around, see any cows here that belong to your family? No.”

“Please, I am only asking you to spare a little for my baby brother to drink. My Mother cannot breastfeed him, her body doesn't allow her to.”

Fania was silent for a moment. Then she looked around the barn and grabbed an empty bucket, pouring some of the fresh milk into it. She handed it to me as a smile lit up my face.

“Thank you, oh thank you Fania!” I cried quietly.

“You owe me, remember that,” she whispered, leading me out of the barn.

That evening was dreary, the scent of oncoming rain hung in the air. I sniffed in and could smell autumn ending and the approach of winter. I entered the house quietly and baby Hui's cries rang in my ears. I walked over to my brothers crib, lifting him out of it.

“Oh, its the little boo-boo!” I laughed, rubbing my nose against his tiny one. His crying instantly halted and he stared at me with his tiny blue eyes. I held him in my arms and sat down on my cot with him. He reached up with his tiny fingers and played with my hair as I sang various songs to him. I held him tight in my arms as a strange feeling came over me that soon, I would lose him.

“What would I do without you, Aralyn?” Mother sighed, gratefulness in her voice.

“Absolutely nothing!” I replied, grinning at her. She smiled back. I played with the baby as Nella walked through the door. I glanced at her and became surprised. Her face was glowing, a grin plastered onto it.

“Mama, guess what?” she beamed.

“What?” Mother asked, pausing in her cooking.

“I have earned three gold pieces for you!” she cried.

Mother dropped her spoon and ran to Nella, hugging her tightly. I choked on my own spit, the news so great that I wanted to weep.

“How?” mother asked, holding Nella's cheeks.

“I helped the chief deliver a baby. Ms. Piddly was in the woods with the chief, and I went to help. It's a wonderful baby girl!” she said proudly, jumping up and down with excitement. Mother hugged her once again, face brighter than before, and returned to her cooking. I put the baby in his crib, then beckoned Nella outside. We walked into the meadow of tall weeds as I took her shoulders and looked down into her face. Her eyes shone like a summer sun.

“Did the chief say or do anything when you went up to him and Ms. Piddly that was...strange?” I asked her, my voice laden with dread.

“Um...no, I don't- actually yes,” She replied to my sinking heart.

“What?” I probed.

“The moment he saw me, he kind of-well- he kind of shooed me away. But I didn't leave, I just stood there.”

“And?”

“And then he sighed and asked for my help, though almost...hesitantly. And I did help. And Ms. Piddly gave me the coins afterwards. Why do you ask?”

“No reason,” I waved away the question, even as I felt something like hate towards the chief begin to poison my mind.

“I am so proud of you, little sister. Your first baby deliverance, well done,” I said, pushing my feelings about the chief deep inside myself for the moment. I pulled Nella into an embrace. We stood there, hugging as I noticed the skies above us. No longer did blue sky shine through the clouds, for they were puffy and black. I could feel the strong winds urging Nella and I back inside the house. Taking her hand, we headed back.

Father and Casimir came home just moments after we stepped in, returning from work in the shoe shop. He looked tired, just like Mother. Bags hung under his eyes, his dark brown hair was filled with dust. His short beard looked scraggly, significant strands of gray hairs among the brown. Glancing at me, a smile pulled at his lips for a moment, then fled away before it decided to unearth itself. I felt disappointment fill my heart, though I pushed it deep inside my soul.

“What is up with you two?” I asked, “Why are you and Mother so tired all the time?”

Nobody answered me, but instead sat down at the kitchen table. I joined them, Baby Hui still silent, blowing bubbles with his spit. Mother served us a special dinner. She set homemade bread, that was still warm and fluffy from the fire, onto the table. Next to the bread she lay a bowl of fresh butter that looked like soap. Then she lay out roasted corn, and perfectly cooked salted pork that was cut into strips. The whole house became enveloped with the aroma of warm food that had just been taken off of the fire. I could see the steam rise from the platters as my mouth began to water.

Mother fixed Hui's milk, the milk that Fania had so kindly lent us.

“So, I have news,” Casimir announced suddenly.

I jumped at the sudden voice. It was halfway through dinner and nobody had spoken a word. I glanced at Casimir, wondering what his news was. Mother paid no attention to Casimir, the baby having spilled his milk all over the floor. I could feel Mother trying to stay calm, even though a whole meal of milk had just been wasted. And boy, was that milk precious.

“I am going on a hunting trip, to the mountains,” he said excitedly.

Mother froze and looked at Father with a glare in her eye. Then, she turned away and kept cleaning the mess on the floor. My eyebrows burrowed downwards and I could feel my face flush red. Nella yelped, jumped up from her seat, and hugged Casimir. Father patted Casimir's back. I frowned, happy for Casimir, but suddenly mad. If I was allowed to hunt, I would be able to go too! The mountains, what a trip that will be!

For him.

And not for me.

“Can I go? Just as a tag-along?” I begged, hoping Casimir would let me.

Father turned to me and stared into my eyes. I could see anger swallow his already cold soul. I held his gaze for as long as I could, knowing he would look away first. He did, he always did. After a moment, he returned my gaze though, more angry than before.

“I no longer permit you to speak of hunting.”

“Kilo!” Mother screeched.

“Do you understand?” he scolded me.

My eyes narrowed, my breath turned cold as ice. I hate Father and his impudent tongue. He doesn't understand, and he never will.

“Casimir, please. Let me come along!” I pleaded with Casimir, ignoring Fathers scolding. He shook his head, his eyes sad.

“No, Aralyn. I cannot let you come, you know that,” he said calmly, smiling sadly at me.

I screamed in anger and punched the kitchen table, as hard as I could. Baby Hui began to wail and Nella's eyes widened in horror as my knuckles split open and blood dripped off of them. The food platters shook and our drinks spilled onto the floor like Hui's milk had.

“I hate this village! I hate this life!” I screamed.

“Aralyn! Stop, please! You are hurting yourself!” Mother screamed at me. I felt hot tears prickle inside my eyelids. A lump formed in my throat, filled with anger.

“I will not stop Mother! You know this is wrong, you know I should be able to hunt!” I yelled back as I punched the table with my other hand and felt those knuckles painfully split open as well. My blood dripped to the ground in a slow and steady rhythm. I felt the pain, but it seemed like it was miles away, hazy and dull. What I did feel of it made me feel good, for physical pain is sometimes better than emotional pain. I saw a pain twist inside Casimir's face, though his features held a frustratingly calm look in them.

“Aralyn, trust me. I just don't want you to get banished,” he whispered. I shook my head violently.

“Tha-”

“Aralyn, enough!” Father shouted, pointing to the door, “Leave, now! And do not return until you are calm!”

“No. I will never leave! You are keeping me here and that is the way you and Mother want it, right?” I refused stubbornly.

“Now!” Father yelled back, standing from his chair, his face scarlet red with shame, disappointment and anger.

“I am...I am...” I cried in anger, though still unable to say the true yet heart shattering words 'I am not your child'. The tears finally left the sanctuary of my eyes as I turned and ran out of the house, grabbing my bow and quiver on my way out the door.

Tears streamed down my face as I ran into the ominous woods. I threw my bow and quiver onto my back and stumbled over logs and twigs, having no idea where I was headed. Overhead, the dark storm brewed like an overflowing mug of tea. And as I ran deeper and deeper into the dark woods, rain began to fall, harder and harder. Time began to pass. I wanted to run away, get far away from here. Its wrong! Its so unfair! Its messed up! A sudden crack of lightning split in the sky and the forest lit up with eerie whiteness for a moment. I froze, afraid for a fleeting moment. Then the trees returned to liquid darkness once more. The absolute blackness made me feel calmer. In seconds the thunder cracked loud in my ears.

I fell to my knees, scraping and bruising them. The blood from my open knuckles still flowed to the ground. By now, the pain was obvious, ringing in my head like a gong. I could hear the sound of the rain hitting the tree branches in a harmonious rhythm. I threw my head back and called out to the heavens and my heavenly Father, Lemai.

“How could you put me through this, Lemai? How!” I bowed my head, my anger all of a sudden dissipating. I could feel the overpowering heat flow out of my soul, and sweat rise above my pores. I sobbed, holding my face with my bloodied hands. My clothes were soaked all the way through, making it all the more difficult for me to move. The night was young, though dark as ebony. I could hear the rain colliding on the ground with the multicolored but dying autumn leaves. A second whip of lightning fell across the sky, painting the forest with a beautiful pearl color. I shifted my seating and stood, my bow in my hands. It was lighter than my first plain wood bow even with the dragon bone it was carved from. I once again felt the bone and the intricately carved battle scene on it. Glancing around at the forest and the canopy of bare branches, I noticed the dirt that had long since turned to mud. Lifting my bow, I strung an arrow but it slipped to the ground through my shaking fingers. Picking it up, I returned it to its quiver.

I walked in a circle, realizing with dawning horror that I was lost. There are wolves in this forest. If I was truly lost, oh my god, I could die! I leaned against a wet tree as my head began to spin. I must learn to control myself. I cannot hunt. I have to be able to live with that. I stumbled away from the slick tree, trying to stand and walk towards where I thought home was. My foot hit a root and I just barely caught myself from falling to the muddy ground. Tears fell from my eyes, not in anger, but in sadness.

Why must life be so unjust?

As I thought this, I began to feel fear descend upon me. I began to walk faster and faster until I was at a full scale run. I wanted not to breath. I wanted to feel calm, and somehow running helped. The trees past me like birds, and I ran so fast I could not find any breath as my forehead suddenly collided with a low tree branch.

I felt my right eye explode in pain as I plummeted to the ground backwards. The rain fell on my face, causing me to sputter and cough. Every time I moved my head, pain shot down my spine. I slowly and carefully sat up, through the pain of a thousand needles exploded in my head. I gingerly touched my forehead, and began to hyperventilate. A large cut had opened on my head and tons of warm liquid spilled from it. My eyelid was fully closed, so I could only see through my left eye. I can still get home, I have to. Wolves are in this forest. I tried to stand, but the world began to spin around me, then I fell to the muddy ground once more.

I lay there, unmoving and cold. I had not the strength nor the willpower to rise again. Surrendering to the pain, I felt myself flicker in and out of reality. One moment I was in the rain, and the next I was back home, reliving the fight. I imagined the melodic sound of bells in my ears as nausea swept through my stomach. The bells sounded close, though I knew it was merely my imagination.

My vision blurred as I noticed a strange black creature walking up to me. I could see, even through the blurriness, that it was a wolf. I tried to scream but my throat was glued shut. Oh God, I'm going to die! My heart pounded in my chest as the black wolf came nearer and nearer. It's going to kill me! Mommy! Daddy! I'm sorry! I could feel the cut on my head pulsing violently as a tremor swept through my limbs. I shivered, from fright and cold and uncontrollable pain.

The black furred creature gently touched me on the wrist with its rubbery, wet nose. At once, the pain in my head and knuckles receded, and I smiled with sudden relief. I dismissed the wolf standing over me. A sensation of warmth spread through my limbs and I breathed with ease. Happily, I lost consciousness and fell into a swirling mist of nothing.
Last edited by emmylou1995 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
When all you have is nothing, there is alot to go around.

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:42 pm
Baywolf says...

Hey emmylou!

Here to review the wonderful chapter two of your delightful story Zadar!
I could see some definite plot devolopment, and I liked the flashback that Aralyn has at the beginning, but you might want to put that in italics or something. That way it signifies that it's a memory or a dream. I was also confused about the scene with Aralyn milking the cow. Is that another memory? If it is, I don't see how it connects to the story. Anyway, there were a few other grammatcial errors, nothing too grim, and I don't feel particularly like going back right now to nitpick. I'm must be ill or something. Haha. The ending was interesting. If you can't tell by my username, I love wolves. Like a lot. I can't wait to find out if Aralyn finds her way back to the village, if she gets kicked out (which I'm assuming she will eventually in order for the story to progress), and if the wolf is magic! That would be spectacular!
Sorry if this review is rather unhelpful. My critiquing brain must be turned off. :)

Happy Writing!
Bailey
After all, it is the pen that gives power to the mythical sword.

"For an Assistant Pig-Keeper, I think you're quite remarkable." Eilonwy

"You also shall be Psyche."

"My only regret
all the Butterflies
that I have killed with my car" Martin Lanaux

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:29 pm
View Likes
tuckerluvr says...

Hello again! I couldn't find any grammar errors or typos, but then again I just woke up about half an hour ago ;). I liked how Aralyn threw a fit (I like it when characters do that- it shows their true character and personality, while others do not). I got lost reading the flashback, and was confused when it ended. I would clean that up a bit. Overall, I really enjoyed this piece, and can't wait for the next chapter. Happy Writing!
the purposes of a man's heart are deep waters but a man of understanding draws them out

- Proverbs 20:5

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore