z

Young Writers Society

Um... (peeking over shoulder)

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am
Joeducktape says...

Hi! Okay, I can hardly find time to write except for on the weekends, because I don't like my parents to read my stuff, and my dad has a bad habit of reading my stuff. :x Anyway, it seems that I'll get brainstorming and have an idea, but then sit down to my laptop or my pad and pencil, and I can't seem to make anything flow. Seems like the only time I really write well is when I'm really busy and can only write for a second!

How can I better express my ideas on paper? I've got a TON in my head, so how do I get them down and make them flow?
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:11 am
Snoink says...

Close your eyes and write. Don't try to think too hard either. The first part of writing is always daydreaming, and the second part is putting these dreams on paper. You'll have plenty of time to edit it later, but you need to just get them down first.

Carry a notebook wherever you go and write down little snipets of ideas you have. It will also help you when you do the eventual outlining.

Good luck!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

104 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:18 am
Joeducktape says...

Don't worry, I carry a little pocket notebook everywhere. One thing I have happen though is I'll be doing school, and since I'm homeschooled, I'm afraid that if I try to stop and write it down I'll get caught.

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:46 am
Fishr says...

Locks are my best friend. ;) I usually lock the door to where my comp is kept so I'm not bothered by anyone. As far as inspiration is concerned; music is also my best friend. I listen to a fairly wide range from pop to death metal. Believe it or not, I'm usually listening to metal as it calms me down and strikes my inspiration. You should try listening to music you like. I think you might be amazed at all the crazy ideas that pop into your head, lol.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

104 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:06 am
Joeducktape says...

Sorry to sound like im trying to find a down side, but im not allowed to lock my doors. *GRUMBLE*

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:37 am
Elelel says...

Well, get a huge rock or a large piece of furniture and put it behind the door instead. After all, you're not locking it, are you?
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:22 am
Sam says...

Oh, Mr. Joe, I love you so.

Why?

I have the exact same problem...

Find little pockets of time, like if you walked home from school a bit earlier, when your parents might not be as busy. Or if you stay up a little later on weekend nights. It's pretty annoying to have someone reading over your shoulder when you type.

Also, if you have a notebook, it's easy to find a private place to write and then you can type it up during aforementioned pockets of time. It may sit in your notebook for a couple days, but hey, random spastic paranoia attacks won't pester you. :P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

104 Reviews

Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:31 am
Joeducktape says...

HAHA! True cake.

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:24 am
Griffinkeeper says...

People reading your work simply destroys the rush of writing. Having people read it over your shoulder is bad, when they comment on it, it is even worse.

So how the heck can you avoid this, without ending up grounded for an entire month?

1. Lock your doors. This doesn't always work, simply because some doors aren't locked or are equipped with them.

2. Barricade the doors. This is even worse, simply because you don't have the time to rearrange furniture if you need to use the bathroom.

3. Surround your writing area with a series of obstacles, such as balls, chairs, etc. This only gives you a warning, long enough to hide your work.

4. Password Protect your work: this only works after you finish. Still it keeps nosy parents out.

5. Rig your room with booby traps, which will kill/maim/stun any unwanted visitors. It is too difficult to set up though and others might notice.

6. Get a Laptop. This is very expensive.

7. Explain to your parents that their mere presence limits your ability to write. This only works if they listen.

8. Pretend to be working on homework. Unfortunately, that means you have to do the homework.

9. Play loud music. Unfortunately, this can effect your hearing in a negative manner.

10. Pretend to be vaccuming. Unfortunately, you do have to vaccum eventually.

11. Charge your parents for everytime they break your writing high. It won't work the first couple times, but after a little money, they'll get the message.

12. Hit ctrl+s and alt+F4 in quick succession. This takes a little practice.

13. Plant landmines in strategic locations. This can get messy if your friends don't know the minefield.

14. Before beginning your next chapter, give your parents your previous chapter for their reading and proof-reading pleasure. Not only does this keep them off your back, it gets them working for you, and they won't enter your room until you're done.

These are some ideas; you have to decide which is best.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

104 Reviews

Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:03 am
Joeducktape says...

HAHA! That was awesome. I think I'm going to start stealing the downstairs laptop and typing at night in my room. Very good for concentration too.

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:25 am
Snoink says...

Sometimes if you give your parents some of your work, they'll immediately get less nosy. XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:36 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Isn't it funny how my best ideas are always the last ones I write?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:24 pm
smaur says...

Griffinkeeper wrote:4. Password Protect your work: this only works after you finish. Still it keeps nosy parents out.

For most word-processing programs (or the main ones, i.e. Word and Wordperfect), you should be able to put a password on unfinished work.

For Wordperfect: Go to File >> Save as. There's a checkbox for "Password Protect" -- check it. When you choose a filename to save your document as, hit enter and the Password Protect box should pop up, which gives you a bit of information about passwords and allows you to choose your own.

For Word: Go to File >> Save As >> Tools >> General Options. A box should pop up, and at the bottom it should have the options of "Password to open" and "Password to modify". Type in the password twice. (You probably only make a password for the "Password to open" --- the other option, "Password to modify", isn't necessary unless you think your parents will change your stories or delete them or something.) Although, having said that, I don't know how it works for Mac users.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:48 am
Esmé says...

You know what? This is genius. Pure genius.

I personally use the combination of 4 and 5. Uhm, though my mom still looks at me kind of um... weirdly (is that a word?) when I exit out of whatever I have on my screen when she walks into my room.

Number one - By some chance, SOME (hey, I'm not accusing anyone) my door can only be locked from the outside. Yep. Devastating.

7 - Nooooo. That would involve telling your parets that you are writing something, doesn;t it? My mom has no idea whatsoever what I'm doing. She gets cross because she thinks I'm chatting on-line with my friends all teh time. Lol. Dad? yeah, right.

-elein

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:25 pm
Shafter says...

Hey, Joe, did you know that you can get school credit for writing? Seriously, tell your parents that. As long as you're logging your hours and have something to show for your work, you can log it as English.
Unless you live in Canada or England or something. I'm not sure about the homeschooling laws over there.

Of course, that still leaves the problem of your parents reading your work. To get credit, they kind of have to read it... :? *Is confused*
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings