z

Young Writers Society

Elyse- Ch2

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:03 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

The next few days dragged on at an impossibly slow rate. Mom seemed to show up at the house more often (maybe it was just my imagination), but I avoided her at all costs. We still hadn’t made up since the argument, and I knew if I gave her the opportunity she would start talking about ‘The Move’ again. When she got back from work now, it wasn’t just a “Hi, sweetie,” as she walked through the door, it was a “Hi, sweetie! You might want to start putting all your stuff into boxes-”. That’s as far as she’d ever get before I’d shut the door to my room and shove some headphones over my ears.

On Saturday she just stood outside my door and started talking,

“I know it’s hard,” she said, “But you need to start thinking about saying your goodbyes. I already talked to your father over the phone and we have it all set up. After school’s over, you’ll have only a week or two to prepare. We thought the more time you have to get used to your new home, the better. You’ll really like it over there; it’s calmer, and there are less people. You’ll be next to the ocean, too! I don’t think your father has a boat or anything, but…”

I cranked my music up louder and downed out the rest of her speech. I really tried hard to be cool and offhand about it, but to be honest I couldn’t get what she said out of my mind. Say my goodbyes? Prepare? New home? I still found it impossible to wrap my head around. Later that day though, because I've always been so used to doing whatever mom says, I took a couple of cardboard boxes she set in front of my door and began throwing all my junk into them.

When Monday morning rolled around, I decided to make the announcement to all my friends. Half of them started tearing up and hugging me like I might fall apart, and half of them still seemed confused. It took a whole lot of effort to keep any composure around them, because nowadays I thought more and more about how I wouldn’t be able to hang out with them. I could remember every one of those silly pacts we made back in second grade when we pinky promised to be ‘together forever, no matter what’. The peculiar thing about it now was that I didn’t think they felt so silly anymore.

They gave me a chocolate-milk toast at lunch to celebrate my new home, and I smiled and laughed along with them. I loved my friends so much, and I could see on their faces that they were having a really hard time with this too. In a million years, I never thought that I would be the person to break our group apart. We’ve all been best friends since the kindergarten days, even through our little spars along the way. I couldn’t believe that I was putting an end to all of that.

The last days of school were exhausting. I had to balance time for packing against studying for finals against time to hang with my soon-to-be-distant childhood friends. Without doubt, I did the worst job on my end-of-the-year exams than ever before, couldn’t seem to have fun with my friends because of all the stress, and I guess the only thing I really accomplished was packing. Hooray.

Time flew even faster after that, and before I knew it I was at Lindsay’s house celebrating my last day in New York with the whole group in party hats. It was Joanie’s idea to bring our ancient friendship rings and hold a ceremony, and even though we all thought it was really sappy, we agreed. After cake and ice cream downstairs, we rushed up into Lindsay’s room and began the ceremony. Sam dimmed the lights and Ally went to grab candles. Rachel produced a lighter from her pocket, and we all giggled because we felt so rebellious. Amanda helped Ally place the candles in a circle and Rachel followed with the lighter. I smiled to myself when I remembered the first time we tried this and Rachel’s fingers got burnt and blistered because none of us knew how to use a lighter properly. When all the candles were lit, Sam spoke, her shiny black hair glinting in the pale orange light.

“Is everyone ready?” she asked.

“Yes,” we all replied.

“Does everyone have their rings?” Amanda asked. We all reached into our pockets and pulled them out.

“Yes,” we replied again.

They were the silliest rings you could find; the cheap plastic kind you get from a vending machine in the mall. We all had different colors and shapes; mine was a sort of lavender color in the shape of a chunky rose. When I tried to slip it on my finger, I realized it wouldn’t go past my nail. I looked around and everyone else was having the same problem. We started laughing again and then decided it was best to use our pinkies instead. Still, it took some effort to put it on. I watched how the orange light flickered off the glossy paint of the flower, making it feel just like a real gemstone.

“Does everyone remember what they’re supposed to say?” Lindsay asked, looking around at all of us.

“I think so,” Joanie giggled, a wide grin stretching across her face meeting the ends of her short blonde hair.

The hint of a smirk also found it‘s way onto Lindsay‘s shadowed face, “Then let’s begin!”

We each got down on her tan carpet and sat in a circle in-between the candles, crossing our legs Indian-style. Using our right hands (the hand with our ring on it) we reached out as far as we could towards the candle in the center.

“Uh,” Ally stumbled, “What do we do next? I forgot.”

“We say our vows,” Lindsay answered, “Do you remember yours?”

“Oh, yeah. I think so.”

“Good. Well who wants to begin the rites?”

Joanie raised her free hand high into the air.

“Go for it, Jo-Jo.”

She put her hand down and shifted in her spot, sitting up straighter and taller. Her voice rang out louder and clearer than I expected.

“As a Sister of the Light, I vow to always be nice and respectful!”

As tradition goes, the person to the left is next, and so Ally spoke,

“As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be encouraging and helpful.”

Rachel went, “As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be dependable and responsible!”

Amanda continued the rites in an overly dramatic voice, “As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be loyal and faithful!”

I giggled through my vows, “As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be honest and trustworthy!”

Lindsay rang out, “As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be caring and supportive!”

Sam was next, “I vow to be brave and fearless.”

Joanie interrupted immediately, “You have to say “As a Sister of the Light”!”

Sam let out a puff of air, and I could feel her eyes roll.

“As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be brave and fearless,” she corrected herself.

“And now for the salute,” Lindsay said for anyone who might have forgotten. This was the cheesiest part of the whole ceremony, but I found myself grinning as we did it.

Our outstretched hands balled into fists and we all shouted in unison,

“Sisters of the Light, Unite!!”

And on the word ‘unite’ our fists rocketed up to the sky. We used to play around with the salute when we first had the meetings. Sometimes we would all fall over backwards on ‘unite’ or we would jump up into the air, or we would spin around in circles. I’m glad we finally settled on the simple air-punch because I would’ve felt a lot sillier doing the other options.

“…unite.” came Sam’s voice, a little late. I looked over at her out of the corner of my eye and saw her tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. I wondered if anyone else caught it, but they didn't seem to.

“Can we take the rings off now?” Amanda asked, “It’s biting into my finger.”

“Yeah,” said Rachel, “I’ll go get the lights.”

We each blew out the candle next to us, and then everyone insisted that I blow out the one in the middle since it was the most important. The candles were unscented, but the smell of smoke wafted into my nose and tickled my senses pleasantly.

We had another hour until 11:00p.m., which was when Mom wanted me back home. She said that I had to get some sleep because tomorrow was going to be such a big day. My friends complied and all agreed to go home too, since it wouldn’t be fair for them to stay up late without me. We decided to fill our last few minutes with as many Mad-Lib’s and glitter pictures as we could muster, right up until the moment when we saw the headlights from Mom’s car lighting up the driveway from Lindsay’s window.

I left with hugs and smiles from everyone, and then I turned and skipped out the door. To me, leaving still felt surreal, and tonight seemed just like any other night in which a sleepover was ended prematurely. It felt like tomorrow morning I could call them up and we would hang out again.

When we got back home to our apartment, Mom wished me good night with a yawn and headed straight off to her room. I still had a few things to do, so I quickly brushed my teeth, combed my hair, and pulled on my pajamas; a pair of soft pink, rubber-duckie printed pants and a white T-shirt with a giant red rose in the center. Lastly, I packed up my bathroom essentials and threw them in one of the suitcases.

I flipped off the bathroom light and blindly followed the wall into my room, stumbling over a few more suitcases Mom must’ve put out in the hallway.

The realization of moving didn’t hit me until I stepped into my room and flipped the light switch.

It was bare. Everything that had made this room my own was gone, and now all that remained were empty white walls and a bare hardwood floor. It didn’t even feel like my room anymore. I numbly crawled into bed and yanked the sheets over my body, trying to shield myself from the strangeness of this place. It didn’t work, and I imagine I would’ve gotten more sleep if I had done an all-nighter at Lindsay’s.
Last edited by xXTheBlackSheepXx on Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:21 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

Hi, BlackSheep! I’m back for another chapter, and I think this one is a real improvement over the previous chapter—most of your showing vs. telling problem is gone, and is doesn’t come off as rushed at all.

I have to say that I really, really liked the interaction between the main character and her friends in this chapter—it felt very natural, very real, and at the same time really sweet. I have friends who I’ve had for a ridiculously long time (some since I was two years old), and when we’re together, we act pretty much exactly like the main character and her friends do in this scene—with the same jokes, the same nostalgia, that same closeness. I could definitely feel the main character’s pain about leaving them, and could feel how much love she had for them, through the dialogue and the narration—it was beautifully done. I think this scene also gave me a better grasp on who the main character is, as a whole—her emotions and her struggles, she feels a lot more real to me.

The other thing that I really liked was how well this scene shows the experience of having to pack up and move to a new town. The main character’s feelings really come through on the page in this chapter, especially in the final scene where she notices how bare her room has become—maybe it struck me particularly because I’ve had that exact same experience before, the last night before I moved from Illinois to Arizona. I like her thought that she would have slept better at her friends’ house than she would have there—it’s really emotionally evocative in only a few words. I think that’s something you’re really good at—tiny scenes that show us how the character feels in much more effective terms than any amount of explanation ever could.

But I have to acknowledge that, if we’re never going to see these characters again, these scenes comes off as sort of a waste. You mentioned in your PM that they’re going to be “minor characters,” and I don’t know how minor that means—they might have a major role in the MC’s development and her decisions that I haven’t seen yet or that just hasn’t clicked for me. But if they aren’t going to appear after this chapter? Then I’m not going to remember their names, their hair colors, anything about them at all, and I feel kind of like the chapter has wasted the reader's time—it’s just telling them a lot of things that aren’t relevant. That’s too bad, because this really is a very well-written chapter, but if these characters don't do a lot for the conflict or character development, I don't know why I'm reading about them.

I know that you said that you don’t really want the story to start until after the MC gets to her dad’s, but sometimes I think it’s best if the story in a novel starts right away—from page one. I wonder if it might be possible to open with a scene of the MC arriving at her dad’s house? The circumstances of her arrival could be revealed by exposition, a flashback, even through the dialogue and interactions. If you need the mother and the friends to appear, the mother can be there dropping her daughter off, and the friends could call or email the MC. *shrug*

That’s all just a suggestion, though, and I know it’s kind of a big change to make, so it’s all up to you. XDD That’s just one idea, since you said you were having trouble feeling rushed in the opening scene. It’s just a thought, so if you don’t like the concept, feel free to dismiss it.

A couple of quick nitpicks:

When I came home from school now, it wasn’t just a “Hi, sweetie,” as I walked through the door, it was a “Hi, sweetie! You might want to start putting all your stuff into boxes-”.

I thought that the whole reason she was moving was that her mom was never there after she came back from work?

because I’m so used to doing whatever mom says,

The switch to present tense here is kind of random.

Anyway, I think that this was an amazing chapter on its own, and it really shows great development in your main character and realistic interaction with the rest of the cast. However, I’m a little confused about how it’s going to fit into the rest of the story. Looking forward to chapter three, this story is getting better with every chapter. : )
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

253 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 253
Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:14 pm
RacheDrache says...

Hey BlackSheep!

I went and read your this chapter and the first one, as requested. I agree completely with Zankoku's comments about how natural the friendship felt, as well as the narrator's reaction to moving. Both came through very clearly, and I, having moved away myself a few times, felt a little stab through the heart. Which means, job well done.

Also, your narrator's voice is great. I'm always wary about first person teenage girl narrators, because it's as if authors think the only girls in the world are clumsy, nerdy girls with brains and glasses, spunky/fiery better-than-boys girls, or lovesick, fawning fan girls. But your narrator here... she seems authentic to me. Normal, without her bemoaning how normal and average she is. Also, the lack of "My life is over! I might as well just go and DIE" angst is very much helpful. So, props--and keep it up!

My only concern at this point would be how much of this is in exposition style. On one hand, your narrator's voice is natural and compelling enough, and her situation relatable enough, that I didn't really mind a couple pages of her relating events, and I wouldn't, frankly, want to read five times that much of in-scene goodbye-ing and arguing and packing. And, you go in-scene at the right moments, too, and showing what's important instead of wasting time by 'showing' everything.

But, on the other hand, it's an awfully long flashback, since you started in the first chapter by mentioning the main character moving to Maine with her father. Which means that what's happened has most definitely already happened, and that's not as interesting to some readers.

But, on the third hand I most unfortunately don't have, the exposition didn't affect my understanding or appreciation of the story at all, and in fact enhanced it because I didn't have to endure any of the teenage angst that comes with moving long distances and switching schools. The benefits, in my opinion, outweigh the negatives, so for as far as I'm concerned, ignore everything I just wrote and keep on writing chapters.

Two final things.

1. I'm very, very curious as to the nature of the split between the dad and the mom. From the third chapter, I've gathered that he's not perhaps the most typical guy out there, the sort that in a bad Disney television movie would lock himself into his room for hours on end or go do mysterious things in the middle of the night, which the main character would discover in the big fake-tear climax that binds father and character together forever.

You might have a good reason for not saying more yet about the divorce or separation or whatever it was. In which case, ignore me. But if there wasn't any really particular reason, you might include a brief mention somewhere.

2. If your narrator's talking about her mom, and she's using it as a proper noun, then it's "Mom" with the capital letter, "my mom" otherwise.

And... that's it. I like this a lot, Black Sheep! Shall subscribe to or whatever the phraseology is. Let me know if you have any questions or anything!

Rach
I don't fangirl. I fandragon.

Have you thanked a teacher lately? You should. Their bladder control alone is legend.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 pm
aweqs says...

Here I am for Chapter two :D

The next few days dragged on at an impossibly slow rate. Mom seemed to show up at the house more often (maybe it was just my imagination), but I avoided her at all costs. We still hadn’t made up since the argument, and I knew if I gave her the opportunity she would start talking about ‘The Move’ again. When she got back from work now, it wasn’t just a “Hi, sweetie,” as she walked through the door, it was a “Hi, sweetie! You might want to start putting all your stuff into boxes-”. That’s as far as she’d ever get before I’d shut the door to my room and shove some headphones over my ears.

On Saturday she just stood outside my door and started talking,

“I know it’s hard,” she said, “But you need to start thinking about saying your goodbyes. I already talked to your father over the phone and we have it all set up. After school’s over, you’ll have only a week or two to prepare. We thought the more time you have to get used to your new home, the better. You’ll really like it over there; it’s calmer, and there are less people. You’ll be next to the ocean, too! I don’t think your father has a boat or anything, but…”

I cranked my music up louder and downed out the rest of her speech. I really tried hard to be cool and offhand about it, but to be honest I couldn’t get what she said out of my mind. Say my goodbyes? Prepare? New home? I still found it impossible to wrap my head around. Later that day though, as dash ight be nice here-because I've always been so used to doing whatever mom says,- I took a couple of cardboard boxes she set in front of my door and began throwing all my junk into them.

When Monday morning rolled around, I decided to make the announcement to all my friends. Half of them started tearing up and hugging me like I might fall apart, and half of them still seemed confused. It took a whole lot of effort to keep any composure around them, because nowadays I thought more and more about how I wouldn’t be able to hang out with them. I could remember every one of those silly pacts we made back in second grade when we pinky promised to be ‘together forever, no matter what’. The peculiar thing about it now was that I didn’t think they felt so silly anymore.

They gave me a chocolate-milk toast at lunch to celebrate my new home, and I smiled and laughed along with them. I loved my friends so much, and I could see on their faces that they were having a really hard time with this too. In a million years, I never thought that I would be the person to break our group apart. We’ve all been best friends since the kindergarten days, even through our little spars along the way. I couldn’t believe that I was putting an end to all of that.

The last days of school were exhausting. I had to balance time for packing against studying for finals against hang time'time to hang' may flow better :) with my soon-to-be-distant childhood friends. Without doubt, I did the worst job on my end-of-the-year exams than ever before, couldn’t seem to have fun with my friends because of all the stress, andso I guess the only thing I really accomplished was packing. Hooray.

Time flew even faster after that, and before I knew it I was at Lindsay’s house celebrating my last day in New York with the whole group in party hats. It was Joanie’s idea to bring our ancient friendship rings and hold a ceremony, and even though we all thought it was really sappy im not sure whre you are from, but in britain this isnt a word, do you mean soppy?, we agreed. After cake and ice cream downstairs, we rushed up into Lindsay’s room and began the ceremony. Sam dimmed the lights and Ally went to grab candles. Rachel produced a lighter from her pocket, and we all giggled because we felt so rebellious. Amanda helped Ally place the candles in a circle and Rachel followed with the lighter. I smiled to myself when I remembered the first time we tried this and Rachel’s fingers got burnt and blistered because none of us knew how to use a lighter properly. When all the candles were lit, Sam spoke, her shiny black hair glinting in the pale orange light. love this paragraph

“Is everyone ready?” she asked.

“Yes,” we all replied.

“Does everyone have their rings?” Amanda asked. We all reached into our pockets and pulled them out.

“Yes,” we replied again.

They were the silliest rings you could find; the cheap plastic kind you get from a vending machine in the mall. We all had different colors and shapes; mine was a sort of lavender color in the shape of a chunky rose. When I tried to slip it on my finger, I realized it wouldn’t go past my nail. I looked around and everyone else was having the same problem. We started laughing again and, then decided it was best to use our pinkies instead. Still, it took some effort to put it on. I watched how the orange light flickered off the glossy paint of the flower, making it feel just like a real gemstone.

“Does everyone remember what they’re supposed to say?” Lindsay asked, looking around at all of us.

“I think so,” Joanie giggled, a wide grin stretching across her face meeting the ends of her short blonde hair.

The hint of a smirk also found it‘s way onto Lindsay‘s shadowed face, “Then let’s begin!”

We each got down on her tan carpet and sat in a circle in-between the candles, crossing our legs Indian-style. Using our right hands (the hand with our ring on it) we reached out as far as we could towards the candle in the center.

“Uh,” Ally stumbled, “What do we do next? I forgot.”

“We say our vows,” Lindsay answered, “Do you remember yours?”

“Oh, yeah. I think so.”

“Good. Well who wants to begin the rites?”

Joanie raised her free hand high into the air.

“Go for it, Jo-Jo.”

She put her hand down and shifted in her spot, sitting up straighter and taller. Her voice rang out louder and clearer than I expected.

“As a Sister of the Light, I vow to always be nice and respectful!”

As tradition goes, the person to the left is next, and so Ally spoke,

“As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be encouraging and helpful.”

Rachel went, “As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be dependable and responsible!”

Amanda continued the rites in an overly dramatic voice, “As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be loyal and faithful!”

I giggled through my vows, “As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be honest and trustworthy!”

Lindsay rang out, “As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be caring and supportive!”

Sam was next, “I vow to be brave and fearless.”

Joanie interrupted immediately, “You have to say “As a Sister of the Light”!”

Sam let out a puff of air, and I could feel her eyes roll.

“As a Sister of the Light, I vow to be brave and fearless,” she corrected herself.

“And now for the salute,” Lindsay said for anyone who might have forgotten. This was the cheesiest part of the whole ceremony, but I found myself grinning as we did it.

Our outstretched hands balled into fists and we all shouted in unison,

“Sisters of the Light, Unite!!”

And on the word ‘unite’ our fists rocketed up to the sky. We used to play around with the salute when we first had the meetings. Sometimes we would all fall over backwards on ‘unite’ or we would jump up into the air, or we would spin around in circles. I’m glad we finally settled on the simple air-punch because I would’ve felt a lot sillier doing the other options.good paragraph

“…unite.” came Sam’s voice, a little late. I looked over at her out of the corner of my eye and saw her tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. I wondered if anyone else caught it, but itthey didn’t seem soto.

“Can we take the rings off now?” Amanda asked, “It’s biting into my finger.”

“Yeah,” said Rachel, “I’ll go get the lights.”

We each blew out the candle next to us, and then everyone insisted that I blow out the one in the middle since it was the most important. The candles were unscented, but the smell of smoke wafted into my nose and tickled my senses pleasantly.

We had another hour until 11:00p.m., which was when Mom wanted me back home. She said that I had to get some sleep because tomorrow was going to be such a big day. My friends complied and all agreed to go home too, since it wouldn’t be fair for them to stay up late without me. We decided to fill our last few minutes with as many Mad-Lib’s and glitter pictures as we could muster, right up until the moment when we saw the headlights from Mom’s capital car lighting up the driveway from Lindsay’s window.

I left with hugs and smiles from everyone, and then I turned and skipped out the door. To me, leaving still felt surreal, and tonight seemed just like any other night in which a sleepover was ended prematurely. It felt like tomorrow morning I could call them up and we would hang out again.

When we got back home to our apartment, Mom wished me good night with a yawn and headed straight off to her room. I still had a few things to do, so I quickly brushed my teeth, combed my hair, and pulled on my pajamas; a pair of soft, pink, rubber-duckie printed pants and a white T-shirt with a giant red rose in the center. dont really think the last part of that sentence is nessecary Lastly, I packed up my bathroom essentials and threw them in one of the suitcases.

I flipped off the bathroom light and blindly followed the wall into my room, stumbling over a few more suitcases Mom capital must’ve put out in the hallway.

The realization of moving didn’t hit me until I stepped into my room and flipped the light switch.

It was bare. Everything that had made this room my own was gone, and now all that remained were empty white walls and a bare hardwood floor. It didn’t even feel like my room anymore. I numbly crawled into bed and yanked the sheets over my body, trying to shield myself from the strangeness of this place. It didn’t work, and I imagine I would’ve gotten more sleep if I had done an all-nighter at Lindsay’s.

This is a great chapter! Well written, with great grammar, punctuation etc etc.
The friendship between the friends is very believable and realistic, I could relate to them alot!
The sisters of the light was ridiculously cheesy, but I kinda liked that :)
Im still gripped and I cant wait to meet the dad!
-Ava

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung