z

Young Writers Society

Cliffhangers

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:21 am
Snoink says...

A cliffhanger is basically a story that ends (or stops) in an abrupt manner. It came after that absolutely wonderful plot twist where our main character is hanging off a cliff, struggling for his life. Will he make it??? Check out the next episode! It creates tension, makes the readers anxious, and drives them to read more while making the story deeper.

Cliffhangers can be many things. If a wild boar is chasing after me, I trip, and the chapter ends, that is a cliffhanger. It doesn't have to do with cliffs at all.

There are two different types of cliffhangers. The first is the dramatic, the second is the subtle. Both of these can be used as great effects for the ends of chapters, poems, or short stories.

The dramatic cliffhanger is one that stops abruptly on a dangerous, alarming note. For example, say, to use a clichéd example, our hero is climbing up a cliff, and then suddenly falls. The chapter ends. The next thing that comes in the reader's mind is, "What will happen next??" They turn the page eagerly.

Note the drama and tension. Something bad will happen, and that makes the conflict that more real. Because this is such a dramatic effect, it probably shouldn't be used too often.

Now, the subtle cliffhanger is a little different. It ends in a disturbing note. Using our example again, our hero would be climbing up the cliff. Suddenly he slips and almost falls, except he grabs a large rock on time. He is saved... or is he? The next thing that comes into your reader's mind is, "What might happen next?

Note the anxiety. Something bad might happen, and that makes the conflict more real. Some consider this not to be a real cliffhanger, but it is and it can be used frequently as a startling effect.

I hope this helps...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:54 pm
Rydia says...

Cliffhangers are always interesting and I think I prefer the subtle kind. It's often too easy to guess what will happen with the big, dramatic cliffhangers. And you've explained them very well Snoink though I'd like to add that there are some physical cliffhangers but also emotional cliffhangers. Sometimes the best ending can be if a character has reached the point of change but hasn't quite gone past that and the reader is left wondering if they will or will they return to their previous routine.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:00 am
emeraldmaria says...

Yes but cliffhangers are very difficult to achieve. You know that nothing bad will happen because the protagonist can't die. Harry Potter's cliffhanger didn't even make me feel a least bit of anxiety. Heck! There was still a quarter of the book left! How do you accomplish something that even J.K. Rowling can't?

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:06 pm
Blink says...

To be fair, it's not about knowing whether he'll live or die. It's about what will come of it. As long as we care, it can be easily done, I believe. :)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

181 Reviews

Reviews: 181
Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:26 pm
Gahks says...

Cliffhangers are about SUSPENSE.

Suspense is key to any successful book. It's also known the "need to know what happens next." As the word might suggest, the conclusion of the plot or story strand is left suspended in the air so the audience begs to know the ending. Done skilfully, it can rejuvenate a failing or meandering plot.

Examples:

1. Susan Hill's ghost story The Woman in Black uses short chapters with mini cliffhangers building to bigger cliffhangers to increase the suspense factor and hence ratchet up the tension, very slowly...
2. Any multi-act play. The end of each act is almost always a cliffhanger.
3. Game shows like "Deal or No Deal" where a dramatic moment in the show's "plot" is cut off by a commercial break.
4. TV shows like "Lost," "24" or "The X Files" have a strong tradition of cliffhangers or sudden plot revelations at the end of episodes.

To sum up, Cliffhangers = Suspense = WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." William Faulkner.

Do you do poetry? Check out Poetry Inspiration over in Groups!

"Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it."
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein