z

Young Writers Society

Crashing Down - Chapter 1

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:33 am
Wariofart says...

Rated 16+ for alcohol, language and minor violence. Oh, and pure awesomeness (JK)

This is the first chapter of my JulNoWriMo novel I'm writing. Since this is a WriMo, I'm more interested in the big things then grammar. Like if the style is good, how believable the characters are, if I need to describe more/less, etc. Stuff that will make my novel better then this first chapter.
BTW, I know the ending is terrible, advice on that would be great.
-------------------------------------------

There was once a boy who was different from any other. He was conceived to be a miracle, to be the first human embryo to be injected with bird DNA. With this, the hope of winged humans became a reality. Human would move one step closer to being like the holy angels. But the scientists, with their perfect logic endless equations did not factor in the unknown. Some call it the will of god, others fate. But it’s really just luck. Dumb luck. Instead of beautiful silky wings, the baby boy grew into a monster. The perfect wings the scientist dreamed of were instead replaced with mangled black wings. The wing bones were devoid of the endless brown feathers, and instead had a few grey ones lingering behind. The wings were useless, too scrawny to support a human, too mangled to work. Without them, the boy became a freak. Like a fallen angel, he walked the earth alone because of his failure. People would look onward, but never get close to him. He lived on this Earth for 15 years of torment and isolation. His name was Raven.

-----

Raven sat absentmindedly, staring out the window into the October rain. The rain drops hit the trees and made the brown and red leaves fall gently from their homes onto the ground. Onto the ground where they would dry, crumble, and then, get crushed into nothingness. Those beautiful crimson leaves, looking so stunning now. That was their fate.

“Okay class, that’s all the notes for today. Homework is on the board, page 57 through 79.” Mr. Sanford said. Raven looked up at the teacher for the first time all class. He thought about the failed test next to him, the incomplete homework. Would he have to lie to his Dad again about his grades? Would his Dad even care? Raven stuffed the test into him handbag, hoping the latter. Even though he was living in a world of lies, he still clung to truth like a raft in the middle of the sea.

Raven walked across the wet pavement from school, carrying a broken umbrella above his head. Along the way he watched as he stepped on the newly fallen leaves. His house was an hour away, but he didn’t ever take the bus. His wings would just get in the way of everybody, and the all that attention would be even worse. So he traveled by foot too everywhere he went, occasionally taking a bicycle.

Raven looked back at his wings now, if you could even call them that. They were barely wings, more like bones with feathers stuck on. Instead of looking like a mighty raven; his wings were barely more dignified then a plucked chickens’. They looked a burned charcoal black, with sores covering them. Most of the wings were feather-less, looking more like bat-wings then birds. Where there were feathers, they were grey and see-through. His wings grew out from his shoulder blade, and were, at their fullest, about the length of his arm-span. But most of the time they were about as long as his elbows.

When Raven got home, he was soaked. He put the broken umbrella down in the kitchen to dry, and walked to his room. On the way there he made a mental note to himself again to clean the house. His father’s Playboy magazines were strewn along the tables next to cans of beer. The kitchen table was covered with about a week’s worth of mail, Raven unfinished homework, a half finished bag of chips, a baseball and other crap he didn’t even want to think about.

He turned back to face his room. As he was doing so, his left wing hit a bookshelf he was walking by. Instantly, a sharp pain of a thousand needles ran across Raven’s wing. He winced in pain, and stopped for a second, waiting for it to pass. Ever since he was young, Raven’s wings were very sensitive. Even the slightest touch would cause pain to him. Because of this he had distanced himself from people, and made his movements cautious.

Raven put his handbag down onto the floor of his room and went to his bed. He plopped face down onto it, so his wings faced up and out. His bed was in the middle of his room, so that even if his wings were fully stretched, they would not touch the walls. On the wall parallel to his bed-frames were bookshelves filled with artwork, drawing pads and art books. Raven’s latest drawing was a tree, its branches bare. All around it were the tree’s leaves, swirling around. The wind was making a spiral around the tree, almost like a tornado of its own leaves.

Raven stayed in his bed, his eyes slowly dropping, his mind slowly drifting away. The breeze comforted him, creating a shield of noise around his ears. His wings drooped downwards slightly. Things were at ease in the young man’s mind.

“Raven!” a cry shattered the wind’s shield, and Raven flashed his eyes open. He groaned, and slide off the bed.

“Coming Dad!” he cried back. Raven carefully got out of bed and went downstairs to his father. Raven’s father, Desmond Rabell, lived in the basement where he spent most of his time watching sports on the old 32 inch TV. Raven walked past his father’s bedroom and into the family room. He always wondered why, if his Dad spent all his time watching TV he didn’t just move it into his bedroom. The king sized bed with its wonderfully soft sheets was empty most nights, with the coach housing his father. Raven walked in to see him sitting in his lazy boy, as usual, watching a football game.

“Oh come on, you idiot!” his father yelled at the television. “I should be the coach of this good-for-nothing team, Jesus Christ. Raven!!”

“I’m right here Dad,” Raven said, walking out into the room. The room stunk of alcohol, but Raven could barely tell. He had gotten so used to the smell.

“Oh, good. Get me another beer, k?” Desmond said, raising an empty can and shaking it slightly.

Raven nodded slightly, and walked back upstairs. He and his father’s relationship was little more than this. His Dad calling him to get a beer. Raven traveling up and down the stairs like a waiter. He got to the fridge and opened it up, pulling out a can. He noticed they were running low on them. Raven prayed his Dad would go out to buy them. Any time Raven had to go outside was torture to him. He hated the looks everyone gave him, the stares. A thousand people, all seemingly saying “Look, there goes the freak. Why won’t he just stay in his overgrown nest?”

Raven went back downstairs and handed the can to his father. His father took it, and put the empty one with the rest of them. Desmond was in his mid 30s, but looked older. Once upon a time, he had been handsome, ready to face the world. But now, he was beaten down just like Raven. He traded his bright, hopeful face in for an unshaven mess. His eyes, once a dazzling sapphire were now a murky blue. Raven looked at him and wondered if this was his Dad, what type of man would he become? Would it really matter, with him being the way he was? Those questions, too mature for any boy to be thinking of, constantly plagued Raven’s mind.

“Raven?” his Dad looked away from the game at him.

“Yeah?” Raven replied.

“Isn’t today October 12th?”

“Yeah. It’s my birthday today Dad.” Desmond took a second to process this through his hazed mind, then realization spread across his face.

“Really? Wow, you’re 16 now right?”

“Yeah” Raven said. Birthdays were never a big event in Raven’s life. As a child, he remembered his Dad giving him a cake filled with glowing candles, the light creating an alluring effect on the wall. He would love to watch the light dance across the room. He delayed blowing out the candles as long as he could, until his Dad threatened to blow them out for him. But then when Raven became a teenage the celebration stopped. They slipped away along with his father. For the past six years Raven hadn’t had a birthday cake. He wouldn’t have even mentioned it, except for the lingering hope in the back of his mind that maybe this year would be different.

“Congratulations Raven,” his Dad said dryly, turning back to the game.

“Thanks,” Raven said. He stood there for a moment, wondering if his father would say anything else, then turned to leave.

“Raven. Why did she have to die?” Raven stopped and turned around to face his father. His dad had turned off the TV, and was facing him, face totally serious. Raven’s heart sped up, his eyes widened. Raven remembered the times this had happened. His father, drunk, becoming absolutely serious. Raven tried to step away, but his father’s stare locked him into place.

“She died on your birthday. During childbirth. You know that?” Raven nodded at this ever so slightly.

“So…you killed her! And you expect me to celebrate that? Her death?!” his father’s voice was raising slowly, getting ready to burst.

“No…I couldn’t have,” Raven tried to explain. But he knew it was hopeless. Logic couldn’t reach his father’s brain now. It was too late.

“You…KILLED HER! Damn you Raven, you killed her!!” his dad hiccuped, and stumbled towards Raven.

“No…” Raven slowly backed away. Then suddenly, his father ran at him. Raven braced for impact, but instead of a hit, his dad fell into his arms. He heard sobs coming from his dad, who had suddenly started to cry. The switch caught Raven off guard. His fear instantly washed away, and he patted his dad on the back, trying to comfort him.

“I miss ‘er Raven. I miss her,” his dad sobbed into his shoulder.

“I know,” Raven said. “I know.”

---------------

So there you go. I actually like the beginning, but the end (starting with the dad becoming super-serious) seems really forced and dumb to me (oh how I hate it). Thank you for your time! And "like" it if you think it deserves it (probably not :P )
"This is a song for a scribbled out name
That my love keeps writing again and again
And again"

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:36 am
Esther Sylvester says...

Hello Wario! I am Esther, pleased to meet you. I shall be reviewing you today! Rejoice or quall with fear, I don't care. :D

Good job here, very good job. I am intrigued to see how this will go. Some parts felt stiff, and some felt forced as you said earlier, but this was excellent. I am not a nit picky kind of person, so I won't critique your grammar. It isn't bad, either, just so you know. Onto the review.

When I first read this a question popped into my head. I think it will happen to a lot of readers, so I am going to tell you the question right now:

Why on earth would the mother of Raven submit her child to a DNA experiment?

I mean, I can see it happen, but you don't describe why it did. Was she payed? Was she forced? Explain. No reader wants to be left in the dark. Address this question and you will be rewarded with happy readers. It will give believability too.

Story wise here, I think it would have been nice to concentrate on how alone Raven is at school. You didn't really tell us how the other kids treated him, so how are we supposed to take your word for it that he is an outcast. This is a "show, don't tell", kind of scenario.

The dad breaking into tears at the end seems a bit forced. You could simply state that he couldn't forgive his son for "killing" his mother, and that would be a good enough reason to show why his father ignores him. Of course, who doesn't like a drunken stupor? It's fine to have a little rage in there.

I hoped this helped! Keep it up, will you? PM me with the next chapter, if you would be so kind.

-Esther
It's writing prompt week on my blog a very random pickle!:
http://veryrandompickle.blogspot.com/

Random avatar

Reviews: 118
Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:08 pm
TheEnigma says...

Your writing flows smoothly. You have a lot of nice descriptions. At some points, I feel the description is a little overdone, but then, you are writing this for a WriMo.
I don't think your ending is so bad. Maybe the dad crying is a little too much, but the emotion is very clear and it adds to the father's character--it seems to me he must have loved Raven's mother. Actually, overall I think you do an excellent job characterizing the father, but you lack a little on Raven. We don't really get as clear a scope of his feelings. The only emotions I really got out of him were boredom and acceptance. How does he feel about being an outcast? How does he feel about his relationship with his father? Raven will be more human and more interesting if these things are mentioned.
Definitely a well written start to a novel. Good luck this month!

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:18 pm
pinkangel54123 says...

Hey there Wario! I'm here to review like you asked.

There was once a boy who was different from any other. He was conceived to be a miracle, to be the first human embryo to be injected with bird DNA.

First, the first sentence is particularly bland and cliche sounding. It doesn't draw me in and in fact it is quite off-putting. The second sentence however is much stronger. That said, you say 'to be' three times in that sentence, and it makes it a bit confusing and repetitive.

Like a fallen angel, he walked the earth alone because of his failure.

How was all of this his fault?

His name was Raven.

Okay, so I understand that he's a bird-boy, but couldn't he have a more unique name? When I read it, it made me sigh in displeasure. It seems like every misunderstood character's name is Raven. By the way, Raven to me is a particularly feminine name.

Raven sat absentmindedly, staring out the window into the October rain.

You can sit absentmindedly? It seems more likely that he would be looking out of the windon absentmindedly.

Raven stuffed the test into him handbag, hoping the latter.

Him should be his, and how could he hope the latter when they were both questions? It would make more sense to say that he hoped that his Dad wouldn't care. Or something like that.

His house was an hour away, but he didn’t ever take the bus.

I would take out ever. It makes the sentence seem awkward.

Where there were feathers, they were grey and see-through.

See-through? Well aren't all feathers that way? Unless you meant transluscent or something, but I don't know how that would be possible.

His bed was in the middle of his room, so that even if his wings were fully stretched, they would not touch the walls.

This sentence and one before makes me think that he can't control his wings...is that true? If not, I would clarify.

All in all,
I was actually quite surprised at how much I liked this. I didn't think that anything with a 'bird-boy' would be of interest to me. I was wrong. This is a quite stunning idea that I don't think I've ever read. There are a few grammar mistakes, but they're nothing you wouldn't notice if you ran through once more. I do agree with you that the Dad becoming serious was an unwelcome surprise. Also, I don't really know too much about Raven. He seems very average and plain even with his wings. Wouldn't being called a freak change his attitude a bit from being just a normal teenager? The Dad's character seems very spot on like you worked on getting him just right. I like that. There were some parts in here that the description seemed irrelevant and overly flowery. A bit like purple prose, which is a HUGE no-no. I think some advice on the ending would be not to make the change in the dad being normal to all of a sudden being serious and then again suddenly shifting to sobbing so dramatic. Maybe you can ease into his emotions and that probably wouldn't make it seems so forced.

PM me if you need anything. Keep writing!

Always,
~Danie
Want a heavenly review?

GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:14 pm
Sins says...

Yooo 8)

I'm here to review as requested, 'cause I'm cool. Now, because you said that you're not bothered about your grammar, I'm not going to pick out any nit-picks. If I do notice you making the same mistakes over and over though, I will comment on it in my overall opinion. By the look of it though, your grammar is very good so I doubt that will happen. Besides, any nit-picks that I would have said have already been pointed out by other reviewers, especially pinkangel.

The Beginning

I have to be honest with you, I agree with pinkangel. I felt that the beginning was a bit on the cliché side. What you're describing in the beginning isn't cliché, not at all. You don't tend to hear about stories of boys who are half bird everyday, do you? What I mean when I say that it was rather cliché was the way it was written. The very first line is a pretty good example of this, to be honest.

There was once a boy who was different from any other.

I've seen lines very similar to this written in the beginning of a story. Considering the story itself is pretty original, you should try and come up with more of an original beginning. Another thing that I didn't like about the beginning was the name of the bird boy. Raven is a bit obvious, isn't it? To me, it seems rather boring and not the most creative name you could come up with. The boy is half bird, a weird name would suit him rather well. :lol: Even if you make up a name, that would be good, as long as it was something original and quirky. If you want his name to sound bird-like, you can still make up a name, just make it so that it sounds kind of bird-ish. I'm sure that you can come up with something.

Although I did pick up on a few negatives in this, there was definitely some positives when it came to the beginning. Your grammar was pretty good. I did notice a few errors but I didn't comment on them considering you're not too bothered about the grammar. Besides, there was only one or two mistakes that I could see. Another thing that I thought was good about this beginning was the actual content of it. I really do like the idea of a half bird, half boy kind of thing. I think that this story can certainly go places.

Characters

Thankfully, your characters didn't annoy me at all! I'm one of those weird people who can get annoyed easily with characters, I'm weird like that. Considering we only got to know two characters in this chapter, I can't really comment much on this. I do have a few things that I'd like to mention though. When it comes to Raven, I rather liked him. This may seem kind of mean, but I like the way his life has turned out. I am fond of characters that have had a hard upbringing and struggle to get through life. A lot of my characters are like that, come to think of it. That's probably why I'm rather fond of Raven. Admittedly though, he seemed a bit whiny at times. The main reason for this is because throughout this chapter, you didn't mention anything good about his life. Fair enough, he isn't supposed to have had a lovely childhood, but there's bound to be something good in his life. One thing that you could mention as a good thing is his artwork. Maybe you could tell us how, when he is drawing/painting/whatever, he feels as though he can forget about everything and feel happy. Even something as small as that would make Raven seem less whiny. Do you understand where I'm coming from? :)

As for Raven's father, I have a few comments on him. To be honest, I like the idea of his character. I like the whole, doesn't care much for his son, very sad, careless, likes drinking kind of thing. There are definitely some aspects to his character that I'm fond of. I do have a few negative comments on his character though. The main thing that bothered me about his character was at the end. I found it rather melodramatic, to be honest. One second he seemed fine, watching the television and drinking. Then suddenly, he had a complete meltdown and fell into his sons arms, sobbing. The fact that this happened wasn't the problem, it's the fact that it all happened within such a short space of time. In fact, it all happened within dialogue really. Making him breakdown is fine, it's a good way of showing how venerable his character is. You should have described something like how pools of water were forming in his eyes and how his lip was beginning to tremble slightly. Something like that, anyway. The best way to make his character seem less melodramatic, to be honest with you, is to maybe extend the ending and make it longer. If you do that, you'll have more time to build up to Raven's father breaking down.

Descriptions

This was probably my favourite aspect to your story. I think that you came up with some very nice descriptions in this. Thankfully, when you did use descriptions, you didn't use them in clumps. That is one thing that writers tend to fall down on when using descriptions. When a writer uses horrible clumps of information or descriptions, it can put off the reader from actually bothering to read the story. It can also end up getting pretty boring after a while when there are clumps of writing everywhere in the story. You aren't one of these writers, which makes me really happy. What else I liked about your descriptions was the fact that you didn't only stick with simple descriptions, you created imagery. You used some nice metaphors, similes, personifications etc. You didn't just stick with adjectives, you were more creative than that. Another thing that I liked about your descriptions was the fact that they weren't cliché and that they were original. I especially liked it when you used the leaves in your descriptions, that was clever, in my opinion. You didn't use descriptions that I've heard fifty times already. Instead, you came up with more creative, original ones. That's something that I truly appreciate when it comes to descriptions. Originality is key. :wink:

Plot

I'm not actually going to be able to say much about the plot. The main reason for this is because this is only the first chapter, so don't worry, it's not because I hate it! In fact, I very much like where it is going so far. Instead of simply commenting on the plot, I'll comment on the idea of the story. From what I can tell so far, the plot to this could certainly be very good and really entertaining. You haven't done something really cliché like vampires falling in love. You've used and original idea that you don't see every day. I very much like that fact. To me, the most important thing when it comes to a story is the originality of it. When I say the originality of it, I mean everything is good to be original. The idea itself, the plot, the descriptions, the characters, everything. If you ask me, you've done a pretty good job of that, even if I thought that the very beginning of this was a bit cliché. Like I've already said, the idea of this story seems to be a quirky, entertaining one. There is an awful lot that you could do with the bird-boy with a drunken father kind of thing. As long as you keep it original and entertaining, the plot of this story could certainly develop into something great! My only real critique for the whole plot thing is Raven's wings. As tempting as it may seem, giving my child wings isn't the number one thing on my list. You didn't actually explain why he was chosen to have the wings. Did his mother choose it, his father? Did someone else choose for him to have wings? I would like for you to clear that up a bit.

Stupid stuff that I'm just being picky about

This is probably unnecessary, but I don't like how you used the word handbag when describing Raven's bag... it just seems a bit girly to me. When I hear the word handbag, I think of a cute little bag carrying some lip gloss and perfume. I'm assuming that the bag is Raven's school bag. If so, you should just call it his school bag. That's pretty pointless... but yeah, I'm weird about stuff like that. :lol:

Keep writing,

xoxo Rhian

*Likes*
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 pm
Prosithion says...

Hmm, this was interesting. I like the plot. It's interesting, and pulls you in.

The main thing is the science. Now, you can ignore this, I just can't really get into a story where the science doesn't make sense. I don't think that a genetic crossing between a human and a bird is, or will ever be possible. Also on this point, genetics is far more complicated then injecting DNA into an embryo. There are crossings that need to be done, and gene splicing, etc. I'm really into this kind of stuff, but it seems that the science isn't the point of the story, so don't worry about it. :)

There were a few grammatical mistakes, but I won't bother with them, because for the most part, the were far and few between.

As far as the storyline goes, I like it. You add just enough detail throughout the piece to keep the reader interested, but not so much that you swamp them in information. The main character is believable, and for the most part, the reader can sympathize with him, as we've all had hardships to overcome, not necessarily as obvious as his, but you get my point.

This is my own personal nit pick, but I would write out the numbers, if I were you. It's fine to use them numerically for dates and times and stuff like that, but for pages in a book, and peoples ages, I would write them out.

That's all I got for right now. I like the story, and can't wait to read the next chapters.

Keep up the good work
Cheers,
Pros
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

Excuse me I have never *lied* about a character I just don't tell the truth
— AceassinOfTheMoon