z

Young Writers Society

My Blood, My Truth - Chap. 1

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:06 pm
KJ says...

It's been so long since I've written anything, I'm feeling a little rusty :oops: So just let me know what you think - your honest opinion - and I'll edit. Thanks for your time, guys. Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for those who have just posted their reviews :) I wasn't aware of the repetition or the few contradictions, so thanks. Guess that's why YWS is so awesome. Oh, and yes, JetPack, I was struggling with the title. Anyone have any ideas?

Mama said that there would be blood. She told me there would be a price to pay. But she never told me that it would be mine.
I can still remember the green of her gaze that morning. People had been telling me all my life that we had the same eyes. So when I looked into hers, I always felt like I was looking into a mirror. That day, her eyes were so bright. They reminded me of dew drops on a leaf.
Our cottage was small. On the day of the magic, Mama seemed to fill every corner of it. She muttered to herself, her skirt tangling around her feet as she paced. I watched her silently; I knew better than to ask her questions. I knew it would be soon.
Night fell so quickly.
She’d been making preparations for what had felt an eternity. There was the knife, sharpened and glinting. The book. I’d asked Mama where she had gotten it once, and she’d looked away, towards the hills where my father was buried. There was an expression in her gaze that I didn’t understand. “It’s not your concern, Millie,” she only said. Then, when it was utterly dark outside and the moon came out to illuminate the hours of darkness, Mama started the fire.
It was the biggest one she’d ever built. So big that I worried our cottage would catch fire and burn to the ground. I wondered why we didn’t go outside for the magic. Mama said she didn’t want anyone to see and ask questions. I should have known then. Or at least suspected. I did neither.
“Come closer to me, Millie,” Mama ordered. She picked up the book from where it lay open on my small stool, and as I edged nearer, I noticed the trembling of her hands. For the first time I felt a hint of fear. It was only a game, wasn’t it? I began to wonder what Mama had meant by prices and blood. I thought she had been teasing me, trying to frighten me as she sometimes did.
The fire crackled and climbed. Mama fed its hunger with the branches she’d sent me out to fetch earlier. “Soon,” she muttered to herself. “So soon.”
“Mama?” I said. She didn’t hear me; her eyes, normally so sharp and aware, were glazed and distant. And suddenly I didn’t want to do the magic anymore. Mama had promised me it would be fun. She said it would be an adventure we’d never forget. Why did I feel as if it weren’t all pretend?
Then Mama started saying the words. I listened to her, my own eyes wide and frightened. It was so hot in our home, and I looked up and saw the flames reaching up for our dry, thatched roof. I clenched Mama’s skirt in my fist, tugging at it and pointing. Mama didn’t seem to be aware of the danger and she kept chanting, chanting.
The air had thickened. Smoke clogged my throat and made my eyes water. And what was that whispering? It was close, almost right next to my ear, and I whipped my head around. There was nothing. Nothing but shadows. But, as I stared, I realized that the shadows were moving.
“Mama,” I whimpered. “Look.”
“Philip, Philip,” she moaned in response. “Come back to me.”
The whispers were louder now. They slithered and hissed and gathered round me. “The blood of an innocent,” I heard. My fear consumed me and I scrambled away, mindless of Mama’s clutching fingers.
But then she was grabbing me, pulling me towards her. I leaped at her and wrapped my arms around her neck. “What’s happening?” I sobbed into her warm skin. She smelled like smoke and sweat.
My mother’s grip was so tight on me that I couldn’t breathe. “It’s time,” she gasped.
“Blood of an innocent,” the whispers kept saying.
“Mama!” I cried.
She was saying the words again. The strange, jumbled words that had no meaning. And she was bringing me closer to the fire. There was a shape within the orange-red flames that I recognized. The shape of a man. I screamed.
“Philip,” Mama breathed. “Oh, Philip.”
Millie, I wanted to shriek. My name is Millie. Why don’t you hear me? I was so terrified and confused that none of the questions that should have been tearing through my mind were frozen into place.
“Blood of an innocent!”
“Philip!”
“Mama!”
“She is seven years of age today!” Mama yelled out, ignoring me. I was struggling against her hold now, feeling something in the tension of her arms that I didn’t trust. Didn’t know. “You promised me that today would be the day, and I have brought you what you want!” Mama gripped me tighter, and I felt some of my frail bones protest.
“Seven is the number, seven is the day, seventh is the year that your love was taken away…” an old, withered voice moaned. Mama’s eyes took on a fierce, triumphant glow.
“Yes!” she shouted. “Yes!”
“The blood, the blood,” the voice moaned on.
“Yes, the blood!” Mama reached for the knife, which lay at her feet. A whirlwind of emotions tore through me: Horror, uncomprehending, mistrust. My throat was so dry from the smoke and the heat that I couldn’t croak out the word that lived in my tongue: Mama. I remembered yesterday, when she’d taken me out to the fields to help me pick a bouquet of my favorite flowers. I remembered how she’d watched me skip through the tall, golden grasses, that odd look in her eyes. And when I’d brought the flowers to her, and she’d taken them, I remembered the gleam of that single tear in her eye.
What was this doubt? What did it mean? She was my mama—I’d never known her to hurt me. And she wouldn’t. I remembered the day that I’d fallen down and cut my knee. How she’d bandaged it and kissed it. We had always been two leaves on the same branch, two petals on the same flower, two stars in the same sky. I knew that whatever was happening, whatever these voices were and where they came from, she would protect me.
“Here is the blood and the flesh that you require!” Mama shouted, bringing me back to the then and now. It was so hot… her grip was so tight…
“Mama,” I finally managed to choke out. “Mama…”
As I spoke, everything seemed to slow. The air, the voices, time itself. I felt Mama freezing, her chest constricting. “No,” she whispered. “I can’t. I won’t. Don’t.”
I didn’t know what she meant. All I knew was that my voice, soft and broken, had wriggled through her barriers “Mama, help me,” I croaked.
She was wavering. Her body trembled. “I was prepared,” she whispered. To whom, I did not know. “I waited. I can’t…”
“You have grown attached, I see,” that strange, ancient voice observed. “Didn’t I advise you against that?”
“She was so small,” Mama cried. “And her eyes. How could I not acknowledge my own child?”
“You knew this day would come,” the voice murmured. “You made the bargain. Would you break it?”
“No.” Mama shook her head instantly. “But I—”
“Mae.”
It was his voice that did it. She looked up, stared straight into the flames where that shadow still stood, and I felt her fists clench, her resolve harden. “Philip,” she said, such love and awe in her voice that I ceased my struggling for an instant to listen. “Philip, I have waited for this day…” She sobbed.
“Then finish it,” he said, that deep voice that I held no recognition for. “Spill the blood and hold me in your arms.”
“Blood of an innocent, innocent!” The whispers began once more.
“Mae?” A knock at the front door of our cottage.
I was so startled I screamed. Mama’s head swiveled around to stare at the door, her green eyes, my eyes, wide with alarm. I could see the whites of her eyeballs and the red, spindly veins.
“Finish it!” the man in the flames shouted.
“Sacrifice the child!” the old voice shrieked.
“Blood, blood,” the whispers moaned.
“Is everything all right, Mae?” asked the person at the door.
“Mama!” I broke free and squealed. “Help!”
So much was happening at once. The voices pounded at my head, so many all around me. The man in the flames was reaching out, struggling to touch my mother. I tried to shrink back. The flames were too high, and when I looked up, I saw that the roof was beginning to catch fire. The knocking at the door continued—then it turned to pounding—and I noticed for the first time the thick wood Mama had put across the door.
“No!” Mama howled. “Philip!”
“Finish it!”
“Millie!” Mama gripped me even tighter, if that were possible, and it was then that I felt one of my arms snap. “Millie, I’m so sorry!”
“The blood, the blood!”
“Give me the child!”
And then the sensation of that knife slicing across my own throat. It was so unexpected, so startling, that I froze. There was the distant, fuzzy feeling of pain. Then it brightened and intensified. White flashed across my vision. “M-Mama?” I whispered.
She only sobbed and let me fall to the ground. “I’m so sorry,” she said again.
The cottage was on fire. We would burn quickly. But Mama would never notice. For as she turned her back on me and as my lifeblood spilled to the floor, the man in the flames stepped out. His eyes were a bright red, his hair a beacon of gold. He was beauty personified.
The man and my mother in a final, passionate embrace was the last image I ever saw in that lifetime.
Last edited by KJ on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:57 pm
KayKel16 says...

They slithered and hissed and gathered round me.

Hm, I would put around rather than round. It doesn't fit correctly.

How she’d bandaged it and kissed it.

I would reword this sentence like this: How she'd bandaged and kissed it. Better?

The air, the voices, time itself.

After the comma and voices, put an and. It will look like this: The air, the voices, and time itself.

_____

Other than that, this was heartbreaking and odd. I mean if it was your kid, and you got attached why sacrifice her?! Okay, sorry. Anyways, this is really good and the only mistakes I found are above. So fix those, and it'll be good. [:
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
-James Dean

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:13 pm
Karsten says...

Hi KJ,

This is excellent. Your style is fluent and lyrical without being purple, and I thought a lot of the emotional content was spot-on: the protagonist's mother often trying to scare her, the protagonist's memories of stuff she and the mother did together, the mother's attachment ("she was so small, and her eyes"). I had a major "awww" reaction.

At times, I felt like it was a little redundant. There seems to be a lot of "Mama!"-ing and "Blood of an innocent!"-ing. This piece is >1600 words, and I think you could cut a couple of hundred words without damaging anything important. Bear in mind that you can only make each point once before it becomes repetitive, and each sentence has to pull its weight.

The voice is reading young to me - the protagonist comes across as nine or ten, say. Just a comment to let you know whether you hit whatever you were aiming for.

Well done.

Cheers,
Karsten

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:21 pm
Jetpack says...

I loved it. I've never read anything of yours before, so if this is you a little rusty, I must go and find out what you call top form. I have a few nitpicks though, so I'll take you through them.

within the orange-red flames that I recognized.

This implies that Millie knows who the stranger in the flames is, but we can tell from the rest of the story that she doesn't. I would take out her recognition.

and I felt some of my frail bones protest.

I would cut "some of" here. It detracts from your sentence rather than adding anything.

“Seven is the number, seven is the day, seventh is the year that your love was taken away…” an old, withered voice moaned.

I like the idea here, but I think you throw it off with "taken away". How do you feel about my rewrite? Seven is the number, seven is the day, seventh is the year that I took your love away... Do you think it sounds better? Active rather than passive, I think. Also, are you sure you want to use "seventh" after using "seven" all the way through this rhyme? It throws the reader off a bit.

A whirlwind of emotions tore through me: Horror, uncomprehending, mistrust. My throat was so dry from the smoke and the heat that I couldn’t croak out the word that lived in my tongue: Mama.

Okay, I highlighted a couple of issues here. First, "Horror" should not be capitalised. You're still in the middle of a sentence. Second, I think "on my tongue" works better than "in". Who knows, you might have meant "on" when you typed it. It's an easy typo.

he said, that deep voice that I held no recognition for.

Even more reason to get rid of the "recognised" from before, if you're going to use it later.

Yep, so that's it. I was being very, very picky, but since it's short, you need to get everything you can out of it. Still, picky commenting aside, this was brilliant. You have a really easy style, but you manage the necessary description and the youthful voice really suits this piece. I'm interested to see that this is a prologue. Where's it going, I wonder?

Last question. Does the title apply to the rest of the story, or to this prologue, or to both? Having read this, I'd say think of tweaking it. It's a bit bland and I don't think it does your writing justice.

Hope this review helped.

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:17 pm
Angel of Death says...

Hey KJ!

I am so excited to be reading something new of yours!

Mama said that there would be blood.

Really great hook. It sent shivers down my spine!

People had been telling me all my life that we had the same eyes. So when I looked into hers, I always felt like I was looking into a mirror. That day, her eyes were so bright. They reminded me of dew drops on a leaf.

[b][add transition here][/b]

Our cottage was small. On the day of the magic, Mama seemed to fill every corner of it. She muttered to herself, her skirt tangling around her feet as she paced. I watched her silently; I knew better than to ask her questions. I knew it would be soon.

All of this is written extremely well, but it feels like it's missing a few lines here and there. Like first you start off with talking about how similar their eyes were. Nice imagery there, by the way. Then there's more about the eyes, but then it starts talking about a cottage. So just add in a transition between there, and you'll be fine.

Also, I think you can do without the underlined bit.

Night fell so quickly.

This is a great sentence, but it can do without the 'so'.

She’d been making preparations for what had felt like an eternity.

You forgot the 'like'.

There was the knife, sharpened and glinting. The book. I’d asked Mama where she had gotten it once, and she’d looked away, towards the hills where my father was buried. There was an expression in her gaze that I didn’t understand. “It’s not your concern, Millie,” she only said. Then, when it was utterly dark outside and the moon came out to illuminate the hours of darkness, Mama started the fire.

Okay, so a few things:

1. Since you described the knife, I want to know what the book looks like. Is it old? Are the pages yellow with time or is it dusty? Is it big? Is it made out of leather or some kind of animal skin? Things like that.

2. I don't think that the underlined sentence is needed, because it just seems like it was thrown in there. If you want to hint at the fact that her father is dead, talk about it another time, but right now I am more interested in this ritual Millie and her mother are about to perform.

3. I think you can do without the bolded part.

“Come closer to me, Millie,” Mama ordered. She picked up the book from where it lay open on my small stool, and as I edged nearer, I noticed the trembling of her hands. For the first time I felt a hint of fear. It was only a game, wasn’t it? I began to wonder what Mama had meant by prices and blood. I thought she had been teasing me, trying to frighten me as she sometimes did.

Great characterization.

I was so terrified and confused that none of the questions that should have been tearing through my mind were frozen into place.

The underlined part can be nixed.

We had always been two leaves on the same branch, two petals on the same flower, two stars in the same sky.

Wow, just, wow...beautiful.

I knew that whatever was happening, whatever these voices were and where they came from, she would protect me.

This sentence reads funny. Maybe you should try condensing it.

"I knew that through whatever was happening, she would protect me."

The man and my mother in a final, passionate embrace was the last image I ever saw in that lifetime.

A really great ending!

And you said rusty? No way! This was great. I was pulled in from the very beginning. Sure there were a few problems here and there, but overall I loved this! If this were a book, I'd seriously read on and I can't believe her mother would do this to her! Poor Millie. The emotions were so strong. The whole ritual, wow, just wow.

This was really really good, KJ. I hope you continue on with this one.

Great job,

~ Angel

P.S. Gold Star
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:05 am
Auteur says...

Amazing work, absolutely amazing. Wish I could write like this. WOW. Where'd you get the inspiration? Anyways, I'm not very good at nitpicking, soo I'll just say how much I loved your story- a LOT! Brilliant descriptions, also. I hope to read more from you!
Most people see what is and never what can be. - Albert Einstein

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:25 am
View Likes
Bickazer says...

That was...beautiful.

Horrible, yes, but beautiful at the same time. I wish I had something more constructive to say, but honestly, I loved the piece. I was riveted, which almost never happens for me on YWS. Your prose style is wonderfully fluid and clear, and has some elegant pieces of description without going overboard. There are some portions where I felt the description was too vague, especailly with the repetition of the ideas of shadows/darkness and fire--I'd have liked some more evocative imagery, because I feel a story like this would benefit greatly from that kind of imagery.

I think the strength of your prose has to do with the fact that it rests on strong verbs, not a profusion of adverbs and adjectives. That's why, though it seems so sparse at first glimpse, it can create such powerful images like this:

All I knew was that my voice, soft and broken, had wriggled through her barriers

Mama’s head swiveled around to stare at the door

I also quite like the narrative voice you're using. It seems at once young and old to me--young in its thoughts, but with an old and bitter quality as well, which you've used to marvelous effect for foreshadowing. It reads as if the narrator (or rather, her spirit) is looking back on what happened years later. I do have to admit that the profusion of short sentences became a bit tiring to read after a while, and sometimes the vocabulary became too mature for such a young narrator, achieving almost a formal quality which doesn't really jibe well with a seven-year-old character. There are also a few awkward and nonsensical phrasings, but I'm sure a simple read through will catch them.

The depiction of a mother-daughter depiction was beautiful as well, and you portrayed the mother's internal struggle quite well--I like how you had her vacillate a little but going through with the deed anyway. It makes the story a nice medium between too idealistic (the mother spares the daughter) and too dark (the mother kills the daughter with no reservation). These lines in particular were heartbreaking:

We had always been two leaves on the same branch, two petals on the same flower, two stars in the same sky.

I'll leave off with just one last concern--I'm not sure what time period this story is set in. The names have a bit of a modern feel to them ("Mae" and "Millie"), as does the line about the mother bandaging the daughter's knee, but they live in a cottage with a thatched roof and practice magic, so...yeah. I'm a bit confused. Try clarifying the setting a bit more, because that can be just as important as the characters in a story.

All in all, good work. I'll be back for the next part ASAP. ^^ PM me if you have any questions/concerns/comments.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

A memorandum isn't written to inform the receiver, but to protect the writer.
— Dean Acheson