z

Young Writers Society

Two Trustworthy Tips

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:32 pm
Yrael says...

Find a comfortable writing environment.

Some people do not understand just how important a writing environment actually is. First, let us start by explaining one of the extreme joys of writing; you can take it where ever you wish. Writing can be done almost anywhere, within a cafe, at a park, on a bus, in a bustling city, while on vacation, at a beach or even at home. It is quite obvious that a writer who feels more relaxed and writes somewhere they enjoy will feel an overall devotion and love for their writing; that will in turn produce a better story or poem. So be sure to find the place you enjoy to write at the most.

Read the best. Then read them again.

It is also crucial to be a devoted reader if one wishes to become anything more than a wanna-be writer. What helps is to read the classics and study what makes them classics. Every classic writer was able to add something in their work that made it stand above all the rest. Beyond plot, word choice, characters and other writing elements, the writers work to achieve some things that make a book so joyful and engaging that one does not even notice. One example is from the spectacular writers of J.R.R. Tolkien and Lemony Snicket; these two authors do a superb job of making it seem as if they take you away from the story just for a moment to talk to you personally, usually done when they take the time to explain something more thoroughly within their writing, which makes it seem as if they know you personally and make the book, if you may say, a more comfortable read. Now by studying the writings of the classics you may even come up with a creative element of your own. So read, read again, read some more, then study what you read, and you should be well on your way to great writing.
Last edited by Yrael on Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already
tomorrow in Australia.
" ~ Charles Schultz

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:34 pm
Sam says...

Good point about the first one. I wholly agree with that...:D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

Random avatar

Reviews: 49
Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:20 am
SolisCookies says...

I agree with the reading and reading and reading. It's important to read... A LOT!!!! It helps you develop a style and teaches you how other writers express themselves, therefore giving you more to work from.

READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:16 am
Meshugenah says...

First one, without a doubt.

second one.. not just classics! read anything and everything. from text books to fantasy to textbooks.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:07 pm
Zeera says...

I agree with the first one and the second one, but, there is a "thing" to the second tip.

Yes, you should read a lot so you get to write better, but, when you get better at these things, try experimenting with things. In some stories, write some bits in-formally, while in others, write as formally as you ever could. This is a very risky thing to do, so sometimes go back to the normal way of writing. After risking your writing for a long time, you will notice that you enjoy writing in some way more than you enjoy it in the other, and the readers will enjoy it, too. That is how original ideas are created.
Writing is an art...
Writing is my life...
I know..
I have a sucky life..
but meh...

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:23 pm
Yrael says...

Meshugenah wrote:First one, without a doubt.

second one.. not just classics! read anything and everything. from text books to fantasy to textbooks.

I never said anything about just reading classics! I read alot more than the classics. I'm just saying to need to know what makes classics classic.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already
tomorrow in Australia.
" ~ Charles Schultz

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:21 am
Rakun says...

Reading improves writing.
The power of the word!
Don't matter what, just WRITE!

Do you YWS?

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:19 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

I totally agree with the first, but with the second, I would have to say to read the crummy stuff too. If you read enough, when you come across the bad stuff, you will know it immediately. And it helps so that if you find something similar in your own work, you can change it.

So read everything you can get your hands on, even if it is outside the genre that you generally write in. And read a ton of what you are writing so you know what cliches and character stereotypes to avoid, or which to emulate.

Anyway, great tips!

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

"If fortis was here, we could have a teal party"
— Pompadour