z

Young Writers Society

Need Help!

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:46 pm
Darkmoon158 says...

Please help me. I need to know how to write a person going from one place to another. Let me explain. This one person in my story hops into a car. I just want to know how to get her from being inthe car going somewhere to leaving in the car. I don't want to write about where she was going because that's boring. But if you can help I'd like it if you did.
For now I will let the blood drip from my fingers...

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:29 pm
Rei says...

You would have to be more specific for me to give you any good suggestions, but for now what I can tell you is to make sure you have a very clear image in your mind of every place and action that occurs, as well as why the character is doing these things. Don't worry about whether it's boring or not until you write the second or third draft. One of the biggest cures for writers block is giving yourself permission to write badly.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

38 Reviews

Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:59 pm
Darkmoon158 says...

I don't know how to be more specfic. But I could give you some background info so you could help me. :( I need it I can't finish my chapter without it.

685 Reviews

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:16 pm
Rei says...

It's just that I'm not really sure what you mean when you say
"I just want to know how to get her from being in the car going somewhere to leaving in the car."
Do you mean that you want to skip the scene that would occur at this place? Have the character go there and not show us what happened? That is what I would think is the boring idea. Any scene can be interesting if it's done in the right way. Besides, if you don't want to show what happened in this place, why is she going there in the first place? Ask youself how important that scene is and what makes you think it would be boring. Write it anyway, and decide later whether or not you want it in the final draft. Just have her arriving and leaving as completely separate scenes, or quickly summarise what happened in this place. [/quote]

38 Reviews

Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:42 pm
Darkmoon158 says...

Well it's just that she's going to Blockbuster and I doubt that would be interesting in anyway.

685 Reviews

Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:24 pm
Rei says...

You'd be surprized what you can make interesting. But I do see what you mean. That being the case, I would suggest putting the entire episode into a very short paragraph to say that she went to blockbuster to pick up a movie/game. Or if what happens while she is driving is really important, just quickly say that she went into the video store. But don't leave it out. The problem I see here is that you're probably making it more complicated than it is. I can sympathize, though. I do it all the time.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:48 am
Elelel says...

It's one of my bigger problems too, I have this annoying habit of wanting to write everything. What you could do is say something like: It was a ten minute drive to Blockbuster. Which is taking fo rgranted that nothing important to the plot happens on the way.
Basically the problem is pacing. What helped me is reading books that skipped through days, weeks even months, and just seeing how the pace changed. There's a link I have that may help too:
http://hollylisle.com/fm/Workshops/pacing-workshop.html

Hope that helped. :D
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

When one is highly alert to language, then nearly everything begs to be a poem.
— James Tate