z

Young Writers Society

Hexachord sections 2 & 3

101 Reviews

Reviews: 101
Thu May 31, 2007 11:01 am
sworddance says...

Time question all fixed :D Thanks!

Hexachord- section 2 (numbering excludes the prologue)

When she returned from her ride unscathed, she felt a twinge of annoyance. So much for him being untrustworthy, she thought. If he wanted to hurt me, he would’ve tried while we were alone and away from any help!

Now all she had to do was convince Michael of that fact…

Feeling much better, she grinned back at Cloasia. “Thanks for coming with, Cloasia,” she said. “It was fun.”

To her satisfaction and surprise, he gave her a sort of half-smile back. “Not as bad as I thought it- would…” He trailed off, staring past her.

Katie turned around and saw they were close to the training grounds. Not too far away, she spotted Jon flopped like a rag doll in the grass against a fence post, breathing heavily but laughing. His sword lay on the grass beside him, held weakly in one hand.

Michael was leaning over him, grinning and handing him a dipper of water from a nearby spring. Her knee-length brown hair was falling down her back in a braid, light wisps of loose hair framing her face; her bare shoulders glistened lightly with sweat, though her chest rose and fell with far more ease than her princely friend.

Katie looked at Cloasia. He was scowling at Jon with a deepening rage, hands clenched tight around his reins, tighter and tighter until his knuckles turned white.

“…Cloasia?” Katie asked tentatively.

“What?” he growled, never taking his eyes off the scene before him.

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.”

“But-”

“Go away!” he snapped.

Taken aback, she stared at him until he met her gaze furiously- and suddenly sagged.

“I hate him,” he muttered, and wheeled his horse about to take off into the woods again.

Katie sat there, crestfallen. They’d gotten so far, too, but there, he was back to enmities again. Glumly, she dismounted and led Flyer into the stables. He even smiled, she recalled, then she grimaced. Sort of smiled, she amended to herself.

Robin had returned while they were gone, for Katie could hear her a couple stalls over, grooming Silver absently. As Katie drew near, she suddenly heard her talking, sounding frustrated.

“I just don’t get it, Silver,” she said, pulling at a knot in her mare’s tail. “Fire, earth, and water are all here, but wind…. I know it’s close, I just can’t get a proper lock on it. What am I missing, girl?” she asked, looking around at Silver’s face. Her horse gave her a taunting sort of whicker, a wicked gleam in her horse eyes which almost clearly said, “I know something you don’t know.”

Robin glared at her. “Don’t give me that, missie. If you have something useful you should ‘fess up. Otherwise, don’t make fun of me!”

Silver looked unrepentant and gave a horsy snicker in reply.

Robin slapped her haunch. “Lift your hoof, miss priss.”

Katie came around the corner just then, as Robin was checking Silver’s hooves.

“Oh hi, Katie,” Robin greeted her. “How’d your ride go? Is Michael going to kill Cloasia for anything?”

Katie made a face. “No, she has no reason to. I know he’s not as bad as she thinks, Robin, but… hey, how did you know he went with me?”

Robin winced apologetically. “Caught. I’m sorry, Katie, but I always keep an eye on you, at least. This can be a pretty dangerous place.”

“I had both Flyer and Cloasia and Cloasia’s horse all there, Robin, I wasn’t exactly unprotected,” Katie said, a little put out.

Robin paused and looked up at her. “I know. But I don’t know Cloasia. And none of us are sure if he’s-”

“Trustworthy?” Katie interrupted bitterly.

“Yes, Katie,” she answered somberly. “I know you want to give him a chance. Maybe you’re right. That’s why I didn’t stop you.” She shrugged. “But still, I always watch over you, just in case you need protection.”

“You don’t do that to Michael,” Katie stated, annoyed.

Robin laughed, moving to the next hoof. “Michael can protect herself against a herd of raging dragons.”

“So you think I can’t protect myself?”

“Katie, look… I know you aren’t stupid, and I know you know some level of self-defense. But you learned that on the other side of the Wall. That won’t work against a bandit wielding a blade, or someone with magic bent on killing you.”

“And a sword can stop that magic?” Katie asked peevishly.

Robin avoided her gaze. “In Michael’s hands, yes. But listen… this side of the Wall is more dangerous than the other. Daily life here makes gang fights in the streets of L.A. look like a pair of toddlers fighting over a rattle. And we grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska. Far away from even that.”

Katie planted her hands on her hips. “You still shouldn’t have done that.”

Robin stopped what she was doing and met Katie’s gaze. “You’re right, Katie. I should’ve told you. But I promise you, I never eavesdrop, and I don’t even directly watch. I just have a little part of my mind tuned on you, so I will know if you’re in danger. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you earlier. You’re right, it was rude of me.”

Katie relented, smiling. “It’s ok, Robin. I forgive you. As long as you aren’t really spying on me.”

“I’m not, I promise. But you know…” She grinned up at her friend. “Even if I don’t, Michael’s gonna protect you whether you like it or not.”

Katie groaned, simply because it was all too true. Her warrior friend was very emphatic on that point. But Katie put up with it good-naturedly, knowing that at least she could count on her friends to be there if she needed them.

A thought randomly struck her. “Hey Robin, how long have we been here?”

Robin considered. “About a month, I’d say. I’ve portalled you back four times for church, I think, so yeah, about a month.”

“Oh.” Katie frowned. “It seems longer. I mean, we treat Jon like an old friend, but we’ve known him for as long as we’ve known Cloasia, and we all trust him- Michael trusts him enough to train him better in the sword, which she rarely does to anyone…”

Robin smiled. “Our Prince Jonaleon is very different from his half-brother. He’s easier to know, like, and trust. Rock-steady, rooted firmly in the earth. You always know where he stands. Plus he’s a sweetheart, and that helps a lot,” she added, chuckling.

Katie smiled. That was true enough.

“But Cloasia…” Robin’s eyes took on a faraway look. “He’s all fire and rage, flaring up and dying down at random. He hurts people. He hurts Jon. You just never know what you’re going to get when he comes around.”

Katie bit her lip, remembering what Cloasia had said. He hates Jon. He did hurt Jon, every chance he got.

She turned to go and made a face. Well, she would get to the bottom of this. And even if she didn’t, she’d still make sure there was peace between the brothers.

That was doable, and she felt it had to be done.

That determined, she waved goodbye to Robin and went up to her allotted room in the castle.

Robin watched her friend leave and bit her lip, unconsciously imitating her. Katie was always like water, bubbling happily along like a stream, or calm and placid like a lake- or sometimes dead set on one course, like a river. Well, as water, maybe she could douse Cloasia’s flame long enough to steady him for what was to come.

And if she couldn’t… Robin shuddered and sent up a prayer to anyone who might be listening, that the Balancer would be there to right it.

Remembering who the Balancer was, she made a mental note to tell her that ‘righting it’ could not involve killing Cloasia… unless all else failed, of course. And besides, if he kept acting the way he’d been acting, Robin was liable to throttle him herself.
Drummer, beat, and dancer, fly
The floods of war are crashing nigh
Raise the mountain, blade the fire
And woe to they who voked your ire…
-----People do speak in semicolons; they just don't know it.------

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:40 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Urgh- sorry about the wait. Between grinding my teeth at the Geezer and trying to stay awake I've been meaaaaaaaaaning to read this, and here I am.......................

HAHA, you said EMPHATIC! :moves glasses up to wipe tears of laughter:
You're so funny, sword. :lol:

OK, didn't find anything much in here, except for Cloasia.

is he gay or something? 'Cuz Cloasia sounds like a GIRL'S name, not a guy's... so I'm getting all these images of a hokey-pokey guy with steamroller curls and really, *really* nastily red lips, possibly wearing rouge and blush.....

and if I'm getting images like that, maybe you should consider changing his name? :lol: Unless that's the INTENDED image? Ye gods, sword! xD

I hope you get some more reviews, because this was really unhelpful, unlike your reviews to GP.

Gah. Now I feel all guilty and must go write to Geezer!

I think I might have a good update soon....
ta!

~Sumi :D
ohmeohmy

101 Reviews

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:28 am
sworddance says...

*stunned silence*
well, that was disturbing...
Unfortunately for your sanity, baroness, the name Cloasia must stay. The history behind the creation of this story is a wee bit complicated and would take forever to explain, but we'll leave it at the fact that Cloasia's name was not my invention, but my friend's, and he as a character had a lot of history behind him, so changing his name would be... unthinkable, and my friends -one especially- would never forgive me.
but now that I have that rather disturbing image in my mind.... *shudders*
actually, I remember thinking the same thing about that name when I first heard it, that it sounded like a girl's name, and if I recall correctly poor Cloasia used to get a lot of crap about that, just like Michael gets a lot of crap for her name. Somebody called him Cloey at some point, I think.

Oh, out of curiosity, how are you pronouncing his name? That may or may not help with the weird image, but it's pronounced "Cloe-ay-shuh".

oh haha and I'd forgotten I used the word emphatic... at first I was going, "wha...? what's she talking about...?"
then I scrolled down and saw it again and laughed like a maniac.

hehe tell you what, eventually I'll post a pic of Cloasia that I sketched a while back, but it'll have to wait or it'll ruin some of the stuff that happens later.

ooooh!!! ok dinner is calling me, so I gtg, so here *throws hasty but truly meant thank-you at Baroness and charges away*

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:18 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Clo-a-shee-a.
Thanks. :shivers at image:

DARNIT, now this CREEPY-LOOKING guy is going to follow me around! :beats head against wall:
ohmeohmy

101 Reviews

Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:24 am
sworddance says...

Ok, baroness, to further your torture and give you more creepy images to follow you around, I'm posting the next section! :twisted:

Katie continued to take rides with Cloasia during Jon’s training sessions with Michael every day, and every day he seemed to open up a little bit more. He was as ornery as ever, but he was no longer directing sarcastic remarks at her, so Katie considered it a bit of a victory nonetheless.

Unfortunately, that was only with her. He still seemed determined to hate Jon, and never passed up an opportunity to demean him.

Then Sunday rolled around, and all Katie could do was make a note to pray he wouldn’t get into trouble while she was gone.

Robin had long since sent Katie across the Wall via portal when she left for a ride. It was about noon when Michael and Jon faced each other in the center as usual, and without warning Michael began her attack. Jon was completely preoccupied with fending her off, but Michael saw Cloasia approaching and refrained from scowling as she hooked her blade around Jon’s hilt and stepped on his foot, neatly disarming him and causing him to yelp.

“Still hanging around with the demon, warrior?” Cloasia’s voice drawled across the grounds.

Michael turned a warning glare at him. “Don’t mess with me, boy. You won’t like the result.”

He shrugged. “Jon seems to enjoy it.”

Jon straightened from where he was retrieving his blade. “Piss off, Cloasia,” he snarled, wiping blood from his lip where Michael’s hilt had caught him.

Cloasia laughed cruelly. “Manners, big brother. You watch that one, warrior,” he said to Michael. “You never know when he might turn on you.” With that, he turned on his heel and left, accompanied by a small dagger whizzing past his ear in warning, which he ignored.

Michael muttered a few choice words under her breath and turned back to Jon. “Where were we? …Oh yes,” she answered herself silkily. “You were unarmed.”

She slid forward, curving up under the reach of his blade and shoving her back into him, elbowing him and wrenching the blade back out of his hand.

He cursed and jumped away from her, going for his fallen sword.

Cloasia climbed a nearby tree and watched the rest of the training from its branches, fascinated. He’d seen swordplay before, but this… He followed the movement of the lady warrior; she was like a dancer, perfect grace even as she dealt underhanded blows to her opponent. Her hair and skin shone in the sunlight, like the gleaming of her blades. His eyes traced the contour of her arms as they moved. Beautiful, liquid grace…

He looked away. What is this? he demanded of himself, as he did every time he watched her. What’s wrong with you?

Something deep, deep down inside him answered, but he squashed it immediately.

No, he told himself cruelly. I don’t even know what that is. I know hate. Hate.

He clenched his teeth and scowled at Jon. He hated Jon; hated him for what he was, hated him for what he’d done, and hated him for what he hadn’t done.

Hated him now more than ever, seeing him down there with… her.

Why do they all like him? he seethed. He’s so disgustingly nice to people. Like Katie, he suddenly thought with a contemptuous grin. Oh, that girl is laughably easy to manipulate.

Something inside him squirmed uncomfortably, but he ignored it. Just like the one before her, he thought fiercely. Easy.

Of course… that might hurt… he inadvertently looked down into the training grounds. It might hurt-

No. He crushed that again. I don’t care. That’s my intent. To hurt. Like I was hurt.

They’ll all learn what I learned.

______

Hey, this one's a bit shorter! *gasps and falls over in a dead faint*
Last edited by sworddance on Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:54 am
Poltergiest says...

Well, at the begining I was really confused with time set and charaters. But as I read on, It became clearer who was who and who hated who. :D
Its really good, try explaining the stuff with the horses, (I was totally lost on that part :shock: ) and that earth, water, fire, wind stuff.

:D

~Pol
I used to rule the world, see it rise when I gave the word, now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets I used to own

-Coldplay, Viva La Viva

101 Reviews

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:53 am
sworddance says...

You're supposed to not know what she's talking about with the horse :twisted:
muhahahahaahaaaaa.... *ahem*
thanks for reviewing =D
I appreciate it. I'll have a look at your work, too, in return :)

~sworddance

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:01 pm
Twit says...

Woo-hoo, I'm really enjoying this!!! Nothin' to correct...rats, make at least a few mistakes, or I can't correct anything!! :evil:

And, frankly, the thought of Cloasia being...ahem...*mutters*...never entered my mind. Yeah, the name did seem a bit unmanly, but that's cos it ends in "a" which always makes a name feminine to my mind. Anyway, the pronunciation helps!

-ST
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

101 Reviews

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:21 am
sworddance says...

Right then Shadow, I'll be sure to insert some typos for you!
And I'm really glad to see not everyone thought that about Cloasia... that was disturbing enough without it being echoed... Yeah, I was talking about it with my friend and we came to the same conclusion about it ending with 'a' or 'ia'. Thanks for reading, btw :D
:shock: I forgot to link the next section to this one! oops... here we go:

Sections 4 & 5

viewtopic.php?t=16928

yays ^.^

how can i live laugh love in these conditions
— Orion42