z

Young Writers Society

And the Bride Wore Black

125 Reviews

Reviews: 125
Thu May 17, 2007 12:45 am
PerforatedxHearts says...

And the Bride Wore Black

“What a scandal,” they’d whisper on the streets. The priest who performed at his funeral, the weeping mother of the unlucky boy, murmurs of the townspeople gathered around the City Square. “Poor, poor girl.”

So, was this how it ended? The mother wept, the father remembering, acquaintances patted backs and extended condolences. We’re so sorry for your loss, the words seemed to hold some sort of snicker. And the bride said nothing.

Odd, how so many people look so deeply into the end, as if they forgot the beginning. So we look at a life, as ragged and despairing as it may seem, that collapsed- lost all emotion, any feeling, the element of surprise…gone.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

“He loves me,” she giggled, holding up her ring finger. “He loves me sooo much.” The diamond splendor glittered in the pale moonlight, sparkled in what light the burning lantern offered.

“He sure does,” I agreed in monotone. 10 times in a row-and counting.

“Did I tell you? When he proposed, it was like…” she started excitedly, beaming down at the engagement ring.

“You already told me,” I said flatly, interrupting her in an energetic retelling of how clean his shirt was, how elegantly the cake was placed in front of her dinner plate, the exact spot where that ring- that ring, that ring- was nestled into leaves of Godiva- “Godiva! Godiva, Becca DuGrey!”- and any other detail that simply required explanation.

She stopped abruptly. “Oh…”

Her voice trailed off. She looked absolutely crestfallen.

The quiet moment was long. I did nothing to stop it. I stood up.

“I have to go now.”

She looked up at me. “All right.”

There was something about that dead voice, dead tone, dead whatever that tugged at my heart long after I had left. She was so weak, I was supposed to be so strong. To not crumble at every despairing critique- unlike her. To be able to shrug off the twitters, the stares, the pointing- unlike her. I was power. She was not.

So how the hell did Marie get engaged before me? Before me of all people?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

She had always worn this hideous conch shell necklace, the same vomit-green turtleneck sweater. No makeup whatsoever was dabbed on her blemishes, the unmistakable shame of adolescence. It was worse during lunch, so distracting to carry on a decent conversation with a whitehead-covered countenance, where my eyes strayed to constantly.

No wonder she was so elated when Brendon Parker asked her out.

At first, I didn’t think much of it. What was one boy, one geeky boy worth compared to my pile of football players, basketball players, hell, even the track boys- all the males of my choice. It didn’t matter who I dated in the end. I dated them all.

Except for one.

Wes was the typical “emo-hottie”, one who carried himself with the air of an “undateable” self. Sure, he had the typical future-prostitutes draping themselves over him, but he sort of swatted them away.

I knew. I used to be one of those girls.

I knew the heartbreaking line of, “Let’s just be friends.”

She would be sitting with me, and I would be minding my own business at lunch. He’d catch my eye, raise one finger for me to come to him…
“Go,” she’d say through her mouthful of slimy-looking ham-and-cheese sandwhich. “Just go ahead.”

And it always happened the same way: me shooting her an apologetic smile, then when I looked back at her from my new spot by him, she wouldn’t be there anymore. I’d feel a twinge of guilt in my chest, which would be quickly forgotten in a record of 6 seconds.

“If you had a second chance for anything, what- or who- would you spend it on?” Wes-the-emo-hottie would ask during one of our random ‘talks’.
I was itching to say, “You,” but, instead I’d answer with something like, “Her,” and I’d guesture vaguely to where she had been sitting.

“Her?” he’d repeat. And I’d nod.

So, day after day, lunch always passed like that. My interrogation time.
Soon, the ache of my heart, the illusion that I could have anyone I wanted (shattered), eventually stopped throbbing so wretchedly. It still hurt, but not as much.

Maybe that’s why everything came as a surprise when out of the blue, she sprung back into my life and blurted out, “Brendon asked me to marry him.”

“You’re kidding me,” I said faintly, hearing my own voice echo in my ears,
my heart stopping. Or pounding.

Whatever it was, it hurt.

“Yeah, we were outside at this coffee shop-“ her chatter kept spilling out in breathless spurts, as if she couldn’t handle her inhaling-exhaling just yet. “-and I leaned forward and he leaned forward and then I looked down since I heard something clink against my plate, and he stared into my eyes and said, ‘Marie’…” she beamed. So proudly, like a mother watching her toddler finally flail and splash across the swimming pool, “…and, well, that’s when he asked me to marry him.”

I nodded vaguely. I had stopped listening after “Yeah.” It was like my mind had just automatically shut down, refused to allow comprehension, that dark bubble of dread welling up from the pits of m blackened heart. I swallowed hard. I should be happy for her. Right?

“Becca? Becca? Beeeehhhhcccaa.”

I rose up slowly, gripping the edge of my chair. I couldn’t trust myself not to fall. No one would be there to catch me. “I…I have to go now. Umm….I’ll tell Mom about you two. She should be happy that her youngest daughter is getting married.” And that the oldest isn’t.

As I stood up, the last words rushing out of my mouth, adrenaline seemed to trickle into my veins. My legs stood more firmly, my resolve strengthened. I was preparing to run.

“Becca, wait-“

But I was already running. I was flying, fleeing from truth, fleeing from the brutality of a broken, crumpled heart, the stitches torn again- fleeing from reality.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

“I’m so sorry for your loss.”

“I wish I could’ve done something more to help.”

“He was a good man.”

Sober, grim faces brought the expression “four funerals and a wedding” to life.
Only, there was one funeral.

And no wedding.

“Why didn’t he tell me?” the was-to-be bride sobbed, burying her face into the shoulder of her would-be destined maid of honor. “Why? He was drunk and he was driving, Becca. Drinking and driving!”

“I’m sorry…” was all I could whisper, biting my lip so hard that the skin broke. Bitter, metallic crimson flooded my mouth. The sting of that tiny ounce of pain was drowned out in the excruciating pain of a loved one lost.

It’s odd, isn’t it? How “I’m sorry” becomes such a recycled phrase, reiterated so many times it seems to be pressed into your mind, your lips, your soul- becoming an automatic jerk, a reflex…

Small sniffles became tears, and those tears graduated into sobs. The sobs escalated to a long, drawn-out wail. The wretched bride hurled herself onto the lowering, creaking casket, beating the dulled wood with her fists. Thump, thump, thump, the people heard. Thumpthumpthumpthump.

“Why did you have to do this to me, Brendon? Why did you leave me?!”

And then they were edging closer, hands grasping at her dark cloak. But she continued to scream. “You were the only one who ever told me I was beautiful! No one else! Why did you have to…” her voice broke several times, then, like the pathetic last attempt of a bird trying to soar into the sky once and for all, she trailed off, emotions shattered so much that she slowly began to become numb. To her, the world had become just as dead to her as her cold, stone-dead fiancee.

I wanted to stumble forward, pull my best friend from the “aftereffects” of death, whatever that was, to shield her from the pain that she didn’t really know.

But, instead, I chose to slip silently out of the crowd, leaving the poor bride in the midst of the agitated parents, the disturbed crowd. “Too close for comfort” didn’t matter at the moment.

It was time for her to be strong- on her own.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

The 7 Wonders of the World should be knocked out of our list of "amazings". What should replace it is how realistic, how down-to-earth we are.

We have a title for everything.

What we call "bad" people, the people who disrupt our perfect, unsmoothed character of society are known as "criminals". For the piercing pain we feel in our hearts- "heartbreak". "Love" is the feeling of indescribable joy- even we put a label on something such as that- and, if it is true love, the always-fleeing icon of something that we really can't and don't understand.

So what do you call the average college girl who comes home at 1:00 in the morning to find her younger sister making out with her boyfriend?

I still remember the damp quietness, if you could call it that, as I pitted-and-pattered my way home, as I never strayed from that perfect single-file, imaginary line, as my ears tried to strain out the truly deafening silence broken by an occasional leaf crunching under my feet, or the metallic drops of rainwater dripping from the pipes running down the side of the college buildings. Everything that stayed silent in the early morning becomes so freaking loud.

"Marie? I just came back from the store, do you want chicken or shri-"

I stopped immediately as my eyes laid on a flushed, mussed-hair, shirtless-on-both-counts couple.

What. The fuck.

I remember my eyes flitting between Brendon, and Marie, then back to Brendon again. My eyes couldn't help but to skim down his shirtless self. Hm. He needed to work out in the gym some more, that complexion wasn't very becoming, and what was with that...that one pack?

And then when my eyes eventually strayed back to Marie, who had the sense to pull on her shirt when I came in. "Marie?" my voice croaked.

Chicken or shrimp instant noodle dinners seemed less appealing at the moment.

I straightened up, let my face harden into a mask of stone-smoothness, allowed my body to form itself into a more formidable being. "Marie, I need to talk to you. Privately."

I looked up in the kitchen, a coffee mug nestled between the palms of my hands as Marie shuffled in like an ashamed puppy.

"What do you think you were doing?"

The words were blurted out. I reached forward, took her chin into my hands, and lifted her face up. "Look up at me. What do you think you were doing?"

Her eyes were still downcast, and remained that way. "I stifheddeenkyouwere-"

"Clearly, Marie. I can't hear you."

She cleared her throat. "I didn't think you were coming home."

I sighed. Yes, of course she answered my question, like a good little Catholic schoolgirl.

"Marie. I'm not joking. What do you think you were doing?"

For a long moment, it was silent. Then she asked, "What do you mean?"

I sighed again, this time was the sigh of an older sister, assuming responsibility.

"Don't you know?" I crossed my arms. "Sooner or later, though I think it'll be sooner than later," I glared at her shortly, "he's going to ditch you. No, he won't remember the kisses that you two shared. No, he won't remember the dinners you've cooked for him, the holding hands, how you loved him and whatever else that you two did. Just drop it, Marie. You're better than him." I spoke. She listened.

Another moment of silence. Then, slowly, she glared up at me.

"What," she started saying heatedly, "gives you the right to slander my boyfriend like that? Huh? Do you think you can just walk in on us, making out, and call me out like a referee?"

She crossed her arms as well. This was just the beginning.

"For your information, Brendon loves me, and I love him," she said. "Don't you see? He's been the first person to ever love me, to ever say how beautiful I was, and to hug and kiss and hold my hand! What gives you the right to just waltz in and tell me that he's not "good" enough for me?!" She raised her hand for the quote marks.

"Marie, I'm just trying to do what's-"

"Oh, what's best for me? Is that what you're trying to do?" Her eyes widened, she covered her mouth in fake astonishment. "Oh, my, Rebecca DuGrey actually cares about her little sissy for once! Oh. My God."

My mouth was already shaped into a firm line, my voice rose as I fought and clawed and punched back verbally. "Oh, yeah? Well! If you didn't think that I cared about you in the first 19 years of your life, wait till you see me not care! I swear, you're going to go through Hell..."

"You know what, Becca? Guess what?" she pointed a finger at me accusingly. "You can just go to hell. I HATE you. I hate you, hate you, hate you, and I wouldn't care if I saw you burning right in front of my eyes on a stake and never die! You and your precious little "emo-boy" can go to Hell, too!" And she stormed off.

"I hate you" were the words ringing in my ears. Even after she left.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

I met Wes in front of the college library. Ironic, since that was where we first met. I ambled up to him, hands in pockets, the perfect picture- of devastated innocence.

“You’re supposed to be at the funeral, aren’t you?”

It was something everyone in the school knew, one of those stories that couldn’t help but to tell itself. I flinched at the point-blank frankness. Now, the guilt was starting to seep through the edges of my heart- like a poison, like an unevitable disease, something contagious.

“It was…it was too much.” I wasn’t lying; it really was. “I just couldn’t handle it.”

Shrugging, he looked off to the side, nodding somewhat agreeably. “I,” he replied quietly, “know how you feel.”

Of course he did. That is, he knew how I felt, since he didn’t even attend
Brendon Layne Parker’s- his own brother- funeral. God. How we torture ourselves, how we can inflict so much pain in our lives- more than ‘thine own enemies’. We are our own worst critics.

Everything became silent

Was this the time for impulses? To drop all guards, lower the insecurity, to silence the doubting voice inside me?

“Wes,” I said. “Wes, ask me that question about second chances. Ask me that again.”

“Becca-“ he started. I cut him off.
“Just say it.” My voice was strained, everything was starting to fall apart.
Sooner or later, I’d lose control and…and crash.

Wes sighed. “Okay…” Pausing, as if he was thinking back to that day when he first asked me that same question, he finally said, “Becca, if you could have a second chance for anything, what-“

Everything happened so fast, in that split second, from when I said, “You,” to when I turned towards him, in that moment as I leaned up and kissed him- everything seemed to happen when he tensed, then relaxed and finally, for once, let his guards down, his arms wrapping around my waist to when he kissed me back.

Finally. “You.”

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

You thought that everything would end perfectly, didn’t you?

You thought that I, Becca DuGrey, would end up “all right”, my heart stitched back together (“This time, the stitches should hold, ma’am”), that we can end this story with a “happily ever after”, right?

Well, you’re right.

I did end up happily every after, for the most part.

But the bride, my own sister, didn’t.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

“We are here today, gathered in the presence of..”

A drop ran down the side of her face. She stirred.

“-these two beloved, Wesley Peter Parker, and Becca Madeline DuGrey…”

Everything felt so wet. So liquidated, no stronghold.

“Do you, Wesley Peter Parker, so swear to keep her in sickness and in health, to honor this sacred union, and…”

A frail hand feebly reached for that cold, hard stone. One finger brushed against the indented tablet, taking a small layer of dirt and dust with it.

“I do.”

The other hand groped for sharpness, the taker-of-life, yearned for the coldness and brutality. She forcibly carved the blade deeper into her flesh, gritting her teeth in denial of any physical pain. The drops turned into crimson streams of blood.

“And do you, Rebecca Madeline DuGrey, take Wesley Peter Parker for your husband, and swear to care for him, in sickness and in health, to honor this sacred union…”

Only a few more minutes now. Only a few more minutes until she was out of this pain, out of this heartbreak, out of the weak shell that, fittingly, housed such a weak spirit. It only took a death for her to break down into pathetic pieces.

She closed her eyes peacefully. She could feel the life slowly slithering out of her, to finally bring her to a better place. Where he was.

And with another stab, another thrust, another blossom of pain, the life fled from Marie Klein DuGrey.

“I do.”

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Thank you for taking your time to read this. Feedback and other such comments are appreciated. Again, this is part one out of the two parts (simply because I didn't have the time to type it all up >.<). I hope you all enjoyed this.

(Also, this has been moved from the other fiction thread. Hehe. Enjoy.)

--Serena <333
Last edited by PerforatedxHearts on Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:59 am, edited 6 times in total.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Thu May 17, 2007 2:44 am
Sam says...

Hey, Serena!

It's really impressive that you hooked me in all the way through, considering it's a more teenlit piece- something I don't normally go for. I absolutely loved it...which could have something to do with the fact that it started out with death and scandal and snowballed into pretty cool characters. It was pretty cool how you made her the Girl Who Has It All (and dates so-called "jocks"- something that would normally be a huge Clichè Alert), yet Becca was pretty cool and original. I'd be able to tell her apart from a Lana Weinberger or a Massie Block any day.

There were a few things that I caught that I thought you should take a look at, though:

- "500 calorie sandwhich"- normal people do not know the calorie count of single objects without looking at wrappers, let alone a conglomorate of different food items. This detail is pretty much meaningless to us, as such, since we don't have anything to compare it to.

- "“Brendon asked me to marry him.”" Why is she getting married in high school? Even more so, why is she jealous about this?

- "She stopped abruptly.

“Oh…” " Tag the 'oh', since we've no idea who's speaking. It sounds kind of like the bride is quite a bit moody- all bubbly and happy and then, "Huh."

- Also, there's quite a bit of confusion about the 'emo boy'. Why is Becca sitting with him? Did he dump her? What's his name? The part about him is right after Becca's complaining about all the boys she dated, except for one, so the reader has reason to assume it's Brendon.

I really, really liked this story- feel free to PM me if you've got any questions. :D
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

125 Reviews

Thu May 17, 2007 3:39 pm

Allright. Let me explain a fewthings.

Do you remember the part where she says something like, "I knew the heartbreaking line of, “Let’s just be friends.”

Yeaah. Well, even though she liked him and actually asked him out, he just wanted to stay friends. Becca's sitting with him because despite him turning herdown, she still wanted to be friends with him.

And pardon my spacing. This space bar is really hard to manage.

I'm choosing not to reveal the emo boy's name either never or maybe in thesecond part. (Yes, more to come.)

Annd...Brendon is just a regular, geeky boy who is Becca's best friend's fiancee.

The angst in this story is the fact that, really, the pain and denial, and especially bitterness that Becca's going and has gone through. I tried to portray her as a stuck-up bitch, really, who ended up not getting what she wanted- the emo boy.

I hope you'll be able to read the second part. I'm probably typing it up today or something.

Sorry about the complicated-ness. I think I'll probably edit this story to make it where you can distinguish the emo boy from Brendon. I once read a story where one of my friends put either him, her, or him. The bold one is a different "him". And it was confusing. Hehe.

Thanks for reviewing! I had high hopes for this story.
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Thu May 17, 2007 7:30 pm
Foreseer says...

Nice job on grabbing my attention all the way through the first part! Really liked it, but I got confused a little bit. Nothing to worry about. I liked the way you portrayed Becca and all the other people. Setting the mood and everything for the next part, that's good. Can't wait to read what happens next!

*Foreseer* :wink:
~*~It's Not Faith If You Use Your Eyes ~*~
- Miracle by Paramore

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Thu May 17, 2007 7:52 pm
Kylan says...

You have a fantastic writing style! Very fresh. Very gripping. Very real. Everything that was mentioned in this piece was relatable. Especially the part about the whiteheads and zits and not being able to keep your eyes off of them :wink: . I know exactly what you're talking about. You also have all of these wonderful one-liners spattered throughout the piece that give me a very vivid picture of Becca... Like Sam, I not only stay away from teenlit books, but also have the strange compulsion to pull a hitler and burn them all. You, however, made this piece gripping and interesting the whole way through. Keep up the good work!! I just have a few comments:

Before me, of all peoples

Try: "Before me of all people"

The tear in my heart severed the more.

This sentence is awkward and doesn't make much sense. To sever is to cut, and although it sort of works here, I would overhaul this sentence. To me it sounds juvenille.

Other than these comments, GREAT! By the way, I love your title. It's what compelled me to read this in the first place. PM me when part 2 comes out!

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

566 Reviews

Reviews: 566
Thu May 17, 2007 7:55 pm
miyaviloves says...

I can only really echo what Kylan has said!

I really loved this, its unique and your writing style is amazing, keep this up, you are very talented!

Meevs
xxx
Bag.

Got YWS?

125 Reviews

Fri May 18, 2007 1:03 am

Ohmegahhh.

*Dies of happiness*

I swear, I'm about to faint from all this good feedback.

I was hoping the best for this story, and it looks like I got it.

Thanks, Kylan, Miyaviloves, and Foreseer. Kylan, I'm off to go change the sentences. Mwehee.

--Serena <333
"Video games don't affect kids. If Pacman had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music." --anonymous/banner.

125 Reviews

Sat May 19, 2007 1:57 am

And now, the LAST PART.

PART TWO

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

“I’m so sorry for your loss.”

“I wish I could’ve done something more to help.”

“He was a good man.”

Sober, grim faces brought the expression “four funerals and a wedding” to life.

Only, there was one funeral.

And no wedding.

“Why didn’t he tell me?” the was-to-be bride sobbed, burying her face into the shoulder of her would-be destined maid of honor. “Why? He was drunk and he was driving, Becca. Drinking and driving!”

“I’m sorry…” was all she could whisper, biting her lip so hard that the skin broke. Bitter, metallic crimson flooded her mouth. The sting of that tiny ounce of pain was drowned out in the excruciating pain of a loved one lost.

Odd, isn’t it? How “I’m sorry” becomes such a recycled phrase, reiterated so many times it seems to be pressed into your mind, your lips, your soul- becoming an automatic jerk, a reflex…

Small sniffles became tears, and those tears graduated into sobs. The sobs escalated to a long, drawn-out wail. The wretched bride hurled herself onto the lowering, creaking casket, beating the dulled wood with her fists. Thump, thump, thump, the people heard. Thumpthumpthumpthump.

“Why did you have to do this to me, Brendon? Why did you leave me?!”
And then they were edging closer, hands grasping at her dark cloak. But she continued to scream. “You were the only one who ever told me I was beautiful! No one else! Why did you have to…” her voice broke several times, then, like the pathetic last attempt of a bird trying to soar into the sky once and for all, she trailed off, emotions shattered so much that she slowly began to become numb. To her, the world had become just as dead to her as her cold, stone-dead fiancee.

Becca wanted to stumble forward, pull her best friend from the “aftereffects” of death, whatever that was, to shield her from the pain that she didn’t really know.

But, instead, she slipped silently out of the crowd, leaving the poor bride in the midst of the agitated parents, the disturbed crowd. “Too close for comfort” didn’t matter at the moment.

It was time for her to be strong- on her own.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

She met Wes in front of the busiest convenience store in town. Ironic, since that was where they first met. She ambled up to him, hands in pockets, the perfect picture- of devastated innocence.

“You’re supposed to be at the funeral, aren’t you?”

It was something everyone in the school knew, one of those stories that couldn’t help but to tell itself. Becca flinched at the point-blank frankness. Now, the guilt was starting to seep through the edges of her heart- like a poison, like a disease, something contagious.

“It was…it was too much.” She wasn’t lying; it really was. “I just couldn’t handle it.”

Shrugging, he looked off to the side, nodding somewhat agreeably. “I,” he replied quietly, “know how you feel.”

Everything became silent

Was this the time for impulses? To drop all guards, lower the insecurity, to silence the doubting voice inside her?

“Wes,” she said. “Wes, ask me that question about second chances. Ask me that again.”

“Becca-“ he started. She cut him off.

“Just say it.” Her voice was strained, everything was starting to fall apart.
Sooner or later, she’d lose control and…and crash.

Wes sighed. “Okay…” Pausing, as if he was thinking back to that day when he first asked her that same question, he finally said, “Becca, if you could have a second chance for anything, what-“

Everything happened so fast, in that split second, from when she said “You,” to when she turned towards him, in that moment as she leaned up and kissed him- everything seemed to happen when he tensed, then relaxed and finally, for once, let his guards down, his arms wrapping around her waist to when he kissed her back.

Finally. You.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

You thought that everything would end perfectly, didn’t you?

You thought that I, Becca DuGrey, would end up “all right”, my heart stitched back together (“This time, the stitches should hold, ma’am”), that we can end this story with a “happily ever after”, right?

Well, you’re right.

I did end up happily every after, for the most part.

But the bride didn’t.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*

“We are here today, gathered in the presence of..”

A drop ran down the side of her face. She stirred.

“-these two beloved, Wesley Peter Parker, and Becca Madeline DuGrey…”

Everything felt so wet. So liquidated, no stronghold.

“Do you, Wesley Peter Parker, so swear to keep her in sickness and in health, to honor this sacred union, and…”

A frail hand feebly reached for that cold, hard stone. One finger brushed against the indented tablet, taking a small layer of dirt and dust with it.

“I do.”

The other hand groped for sharpness, the taker-of-life, yearned for the coldness and brutality. She carved the blade deeper into her flesh. The drops turned into crimson streams of blood.

“And do you, Rebecca Madeline DuGrey, take Wesley Peter Parker for your husband, and swear to care for him, in sickness and in health, to honor this sacred union…”

Only a few more minutes now. Only a few more minutes until she was out of this pain, out of this heartbreak, out of the weak shell that, fittingly, housed such a weak spirit. It only took a death for her to break down into pathetic pieces.

She closed her eyes peacefully. She could feel the life slowly slithering out of her, to finally bring her to a better place. Where he was.
And with another stab, another thrust, another blossom of pain, the life fled from Marie Klein DuGrey, who died by Brendon Layne Parker’s grave.

“I do.”

125 Reviews

Sat May 19, 2007 1:58 am

So, what do ya'll think about it?

I hope ya'll got the twist.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat May 19, 2007 3:20 am
Sam says...

Hey again, Serena!

Quick response to your answers above- very cool. However, if I didn't catch all of the little cool plot twist and I'm analyzing this piece, it's probably not going to hit your average 'leaf-through' reader on the head. That's why it's a good idea to give us just a little bit more information, and space it so that all the information on one topic is in one place and the others in another place. Then, it just makes everyone happy.

Onto the second part:

Also very awesome. Becca continues to be a good character, though I was a little confused why you were writing this part in third person, instead of the first person of the initial section. In a story like this, it's pretty important to keep the same POV so that the reader 'gets it'- remember that you're trying to fit a lot of impact into a very little space.

Odd, isn’t it?
- this little teensy line struck me because it's the first time you talked directly to the reader. This normally would be good, but since it's kind of a dark piece and it is the first and only time, it doesn't really 'go'. You'll want to keep either a detached third-person limited or an emotional-yet-observant first person view with this one, and 'cheating out' to the audience shouldn't happen. You're trying to get them to cry, not to engage in conversation with you.

Again, I really didn't understand why they were marrying in high school. That's one of those things that you may have to change the setting for, or make it an alternate reality (and you explain why things go down the way they do). It's a bit surreal, the way it is...though, not in a good way.

I really did love the Becca and Wes twist at the end- that was really cleverly done. And the ending itself? Very Romeo and Juliet. Poor Marie...she was so well characterized, too! :wink:

Very good story, Serena! I'm definitely going to be looking out for some more stuff from you.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

125 Reviews

Sat May 19, 2007 4:45 am

Hehe. I agree.

So far, I've changed the highschool thing plus changed pt.2 to first person on paper. Tomorrow, I'm going to start building up mroe info.

it's just that i hate giving away a lot of info >.< but then again i'll change it 'till you get it.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun May 20, 2007 8:55 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Wow, I loved this. You have a brilliant style, very readable, very gripping, and, considering this is quite a dark piece, fairly light-hearted, which I like. You show you have considerable range, though, as the ending was entirely different, yet still fitted in with the rest of the story.

I did, however, feel that sometimes you were rushing slightly, those were the bits that confused me. Perhaps slow down the pace on occasions?

Odd, isn’t it?

Unlike Sam, I actually liked this. For me, it did seem to fit in with the rest. Although, i too was slightly cofused about the change of POV, but you say you're changing that, so that's good.

I like the twist at the end, it added new depth to the piece.

This sort of thing is not what I'd usually join for, and you had me hooked from the start. As a matter of fact, you've done very well, as it is extremely unusual for me to read the first part of a piece, then see the second part AND read that, AND then give a critique (albeit a vague one) afterwards.

Very well done, you show a lot of skill.

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Sun May 20, 2007 9:44 pm
JC says...

record of 6 seconds

You should spell out six. It's more professional =D

Sorry, I really got to this too late to really say anything new. It captured my attention, and kept it. But I give advice more than praise, so this will be difficult for me.

Suggestions? (or those I can think of)

:arrow: -This was a tad too good for me to go into critiquing without getting into the nitty gritty of absolutely EVERYTHING! So I apologise if it seems harsh, it's just me trying to help...

:?: So, the main problem with this, and it's kind-of a big thing is it's uber confuzingness. I kind-of spaced off in the middle because I was simply too confused to try to keep up, so your reader looses intrest, and possible information neccesarry to the story.

:arrow: If you'd really like to read just how confusing story's can get, and how hard it is to keep up with such stories, read my story Running from Yourself. I posted it here a while ago, and found it was so confuzing that there was nothing I could do with it. It pains me to use it as a bad example...but hey, if it helps, go ahead and read it.

:!: Other than the confusion, it could be longer (which could actually help clarify some things). Go more in depth to the characters, show and tell the angst of your story. Make sure the reader know's who's who, and what's what. Things they should know, and things that are just there for technical purposes.

:?: -If any of what I've said is confusing, please feel free to PM me and I shall elaborate for you. =D

:!: Good luck with the rest of it. I'm not sure if you've posted the second section yet, tell me when you do!

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

125 Reviews

Mon May 21, 2007 1:39 am

Mweheee! Yay! *Claps hands* I'm happy.

Alright, JC. (By the way, I'll probably end up PM-ing this to you if you don't see this anyways. Heehee)

I'm confused about how it is confusing.

That's all the things that I'm confused about.

I will, however, make this story longer. And yes, I will de-confuse it, for the most part, although I don't know how it's "uber-confuzzling".

And yes, I did post the 2nd part. I think I'll conjoin it with everything so as to prevent confuzzlingness. Mweehee.

Thanks also, Kaz. If it's okay with you, would you please tell me where the "speeded-up" parts are? I'll be happy to change anything and everything.

Thanks, guys, so much for editing and reading and giving me positive feedback.

:D

--Serena <333

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Mon May 21, 2007 3:11 am
Trident says...

Hi Serena. I was pleasantly surprised, this being in the Romance fiction section and all. ;) Very nice characterization, especially for the main character, however, I felt that some of the secondary characters were left hanging. We know virtually nothing about Brendan before he dies, and Wes has a nice background, but we barely get to see him otherwise.

Your narrative is definitely this piece's strength. There are some lovely witty lines in there. I would get rid of the part where you address the audience (where you use "you"). Even though it's set aside, it still contrasts too much with the rest of the piece. Sort of just there with little purpose and little in forwarding the plot. I would instead mesh it in with her inner-monologue and try and work with that.

Keep writing, Serena, and edit this profusely (not meaning that it is so horrible that you need to edit it, but edit it so that you get rid of everything you find unnecessary and make it even better than how good it is now). Very nice.
Perception is everything.

Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.
— Niels Bohr