z

Young Writers Society

Rain

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:04 am
KingKamor says...

Well, I've had the idea in my head for this story for awhile... but I got a three-month long writers block after the first page and a half @_@. Anyway, I hope that you like it. (Rated 13+ for swearing and suggestive themes) Chapters one through seven are in this thread.

2/24/08: I've decided to stop posting chapters of this story. I'll keep writing the story and everything, but for me, the need to post every chapter makes me think that 'I have to' write rather than 'I want to' write. Thank you all for your comments and great critiques, and I wish you all good luck in your own writings.

8/22/07: I'll be posting chapters 8 and beyond in separate threads to make them easier to critique.

Chapter 8: post234532.html#234532

Chapter 9: post238028.html#238028

Chapter 10: post246008.html#246008

Chapter 11: post254216.html#254216

Chapter 12: post279349.html#279349

Chapter 13: topic25170.html

-----------------------------

Rain

“If I were rain,
That joins the sky and earth that otherwise never touch,
Could I join two hearts as well?”

--Tite Kubo

Chapter 1: Craig Selva

The rain seemed to come down as if to poke fun at the people who wished for sunlight. It came down from dawn to dusk without stopping. Craig had always liked the rain, so he never wore a waterproof jacket or kept an umbrella with him. He tended to enjoy the pitter-patter feeling of water droplets on his face, so he simply never bothered with covering himself up. In fact, he preferred the rain over a sunny day every time. All he did throughout those gloomy days in the city were talking with his friends on the streets, maintaining his little "gang's" territory, and taking walks in the rain with his clothes saturated with the chillingly cold gift from the clouds. In a way, he, too, poked fun at the sun-loving people in the dark and disgusting city he lived in. With it’s faceless skyscrapers and endless rain, it seemed only fit for the rejects of the world to live.

The sarcastic, smoking, drinking, high school dropout had once again found himself walking through the densely-packed sidewalks of the city with a lit cigarette between his lips and his hands in his pockets. Craig was a fairly tall seventeen year-old; about six feet on the dot. His short black hair was matted against his skull, and the rain cascaded down his thick locks in streams. He wore a dark brown trench coat and blue jeans along with dirty white cross-trainers. His mind had been lost in thought ever since he left his parents' apartment, and he had kept walking ever since. The roar of a passing truck jerked him out of his trance, and splashed an entire puddle of water onto his leg in the process.

Craig mumbled several curses under his breath and shook out his drenched leg, and continued to walk. He didn’t care if he got wet, what he cared about was when. Only he decided when he was going to get rained on. To him, nobody else had the right to do so. Just as he started to walk on a crosswalk on an intersection, there was a flash of light overhead followed immediately by a blast of thunder. A few people around him cringed at the noise, but he remained unmoved in his renewed trance.

“Well,” he said to himself as he spat out his cigarette into the gutter, “I may as well find a hotel for the night.” It wasn’t like he felt welcome back in that apartment, anyway. He stood under a bus stop’s overhang and counted the money in his wallet. Seventy three bucks. It was more than enough for a single night at a shabby hotel. Craig looked around and ran towards the first hotel to cross his sight. It was a simple hostel with a flickering sign standing on the front of it that read “Hotel: one night- $35.00”. It was run-down and dirty, but it would suit Craig’s needs, so he opened the door, which squeaked on the hinges followed by a small bell, and stepped inside.

A bellboy was standing behind the counter. He finished talking to a small group of people and gave them a key. Once he saw Craig enter, he said, “Welcome, sir.”

“Yeah, thanks. Do you have a room?” Craig said quickly, uncaring.

“I’m so sorry, but that group just took the last available room. We’re booked.”

“Crap,” Craig said under his breath, and promptly turned around.

“Wait, I can call some of the nearby hotels and see if they have any rooms left. It‘d leave a bad taste in my mouth if I leave you out in the cold with this kind of weather.”

He stopped just as he put his hand on the doorknob. “Fine, make a call.” He walked over to the counter and leaned on it as the bellboy picked up an old-fashioned tan-colored phone.

After a few seconds, the bellboy said into the receiver, “Yes, I have a guy here who needs a room for the night, and we’re booked over here, so… yeah, just one guy… oh, really? Well, thanks,” he hung up and said to Craig, “Looks like a lot of people like you want to get out of this storm we’re having. I’ll make a few more calls if you’d like.”

Craig said flatly, “Go ahead.”

The bellboy made several more calls, but had no luck in finding a hotel for Craig. “I’m sorry about this.”

“It’s fine.” He started to walk towards the door once again. Not once throughout his short stay did he change his expression.

“Wait a sec. There may be a place with rooms, but…”

“Just tell me where it is.” He said without turning around.

“… Okay, then. It’s on Tune Street down a small alley between the video rental store and the pawn shop. It’s kind of hard to miss.”

Craig whirled around, tromped over to the bellboy, and said angrily, “That’s a love hotel, smart-ass!”

“W-well, there might be other singles like you staying there for the night, so--”

“No way in hell I’d go in there by myself. I have an image to maintain around here! And if you think for one second I'll sleep in one of those disgusting beds...” He shuddered slightly, but maintained his angry look.

Bellboy let out a sigh, “Fine, stay out in the cold, for all I care.”

Well, Craig later found himself walking to Tune Street and sidling in between the two closed stores as stealthily as possible. If any of his street friends happened to be catch him walking there, his reputation of being a tough guy would’ve crumbled in an instant. Once he got there, he was at least relieved to see that it didn’t even look like a love hotel. It seemed only slightly cleaner than the hotel he went to earlier… and had no windows.

After mumbling a few more curse words, Craig finally opened the door. Inside, everything was red carpet and draperies, shining hardwood floors, and chandeliers. It may not have looked like a love hotel on the outside, but on the inside, it looked just the part.

“Welcome!” A woman, who looked like she was in her thirties, standing next to the staircase said. She had wavy black hair and wore a thick mask of make-up on her face. It was as if she was trying to hide the great beauty she had with a layer of dirt. At the most, she was mediocre-looking with the make-up on, but Craig seemed to be able to tell with those kind of things. The woman wore a red one-piece dress with black high-heels. “Oh. Are you alone? That‘s… rare…”

“Yeah, I just need a room for the night,” Craig said with embarrassment.

“It takes a lot of guts to come to a place like this alone,” she joked. “If you’d like a room, then you’re in luck. The couple that took the last room just left…”

“Then I’ll take that room. How much?” He took out his wallet.

“It’s usually forty-five dollars for a couple, but since you’re alone, I’ll cut it down to thirty.”

“Awesome.”

She grabbed the last set of keys on the montage of room numbers on the wall behind the counter, and said, “This way.”

Craig followed her up the stairs all the way to the fourth floor. The smells that emanated from each room were too out-there for him to describe to himself. He was surprised that there was so little… sounds of activity going on throughout the building. He couldn’t help but ask, “Are the walls sound-proof or something?”

They walked down the hallway as she said, “Yeah. It guarantees privacy for my customers.”

“I had to ask.”

“They all do their first time here.” She smiled jokingly as she turned the key to room numbered 406. The door opened, and they stepped inside to the brightly-lit room. “Hm. They must’ve left the lights on. Anyway, enjoy your stay.”

“Yeah, thanks.” Craig said as she walked out and closed the door behind herself. He tossed the keys onto the queen-sized bed, and unbuttoned his coat. Underneath it, he was wearing a black t-shirt that read across the chest: 'I’m not crazy, just ask my imaginary friend Bob!' From his lumped-up trench coat, he pulled a box of cigarettes, and bit the tip of one to pull it out. From his left pants pocket he brandished a black lighter, and casually lit the cigarette. He puffed out a small plume of gray smoke.

"Ah!" A high-pitched voice squeaked from behind him. He whirled around to see a girl, about a head shorter than he, standing next to the bathroom door wearing a white towel. She had long and wet dirty blond hair that went down past her shoulders and a somewhat petite body. Her dark brown eyes were full of fear and surprise. For the instant their eyes met, their senses seemed to fall numb. The cigarette fell out of Craig’s mouth and put itself out as it landed on the carpet.

At the same time the two of them shouted angrily, “Who the hell are you?”

--------------------------
I'll leave you hanging for awhile. XD
Last edited by KingKamor on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 61
Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:46 am
BrokenSword says...

Wow! This is amazing, I love your writing. It's crisp, refreshing, and I can see everything that is described. I can't find anything to critique. Just this little bit right here:

Craig said quickly and uncaringly.

I would change to "Craig said quickly, uncaring." It flows better.

Excellent work! Can't wait for the next chapter.

76 Reviews

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:51 am
KingKamor says...

Thanks for the compliments, BrokenSword. I was worried that this wouldn't get off the ground, but I think it will now. I'll post the second chapter in a bit.
"I think it goes until it's done."
"Don't we all."

76 Reviews

Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:59 am
KingKamor says...

Chapter 2: Amelia Regenen

"'Who the hell am I?'" the girl echoed at Craig. "I just got this room for my boyfriend and me! How dare you walk in here!" She backed up into the bathroom and slammed the door. "Nathan! Who is he?" There were sounds of clothes being slipped on inside.

"Oh, for God's sake..." Craig mumbled to himself with a hand on his face. He walked to the closed bathroom door and yelled angrily into it, "Who're you talking to? I'm the only one here!"

There was a gasp from the other side of the door. The girl burst out of the bathroom door, knocking him out of the way rather forcibly with the door, wearing a long black skirt and white sweater. "No goddamn way would he--" She looked around the room, but only saw Craig's jacket laid on the bed and the cigarette packet on top of it. The girl fell to her knees, staring at the empty room with disbelief in her eyes. "Oh my God... Nathan left me here...?" A feeling of loss crept up within her upper body as it she were freezing from the inside, and she wrapped her arms around her waist in an attempt to make it go away.

Craig got up from the floor, holding his head in pain. A bump was about to form on his forehead where the skin had already turned red. He sighed in annoyance and said, "I take it this Nathan guy is... was your boyfriend?"

She turned towards him with teary eyes and said with a stutter, "Y-yeah..." The girl apparently no longer cared that a complete stranger was in her room. She was holding back her tears quite efficiently, but Craig could easily tell. Kind of like with the makeup thing-- it's the same principle, really.

He walked over to where he stood before and picked up the put-out cigarette. After he threw it in the trash, he took another out of the packet. All the while, the girl gently sobbed on the floor. "Your ex-boyfriend is the worst kind of person. He wants to break up with you, but couldn't bring himself to see you cry, and doesn't go through with a breakup. So instead, he asked you to come here with him so that he could at least have sex with you, but in the end, he chickens out and runs away. It's almost efficient, if you think about it. He doesn't have to see you cry or tell you directly what's up... but he has no consideration for you."

The sobbing only grew louder, and she had her hands covering her eyes and rubbing away the tears. "Nathan... Nathan...!"

Craig looked at her and shouted with so much force that she seemed to be pushed back, "Quit crying already! He was a complete ass hole! I haven't even met the guy and I already hate his guts! You should be happy that he left you!" The girl had a sudden confusion that swept over her. Who is this guy again? She thought to herself.

She wiped her tears away with her sweater sleeve and asked, "Who are you, anyway? And why are you making judgments on our relationship?"

"Wow, are you really so dense as to think that you still have a relationship with him?" Craig scratched the back of his head and stared at her with his eyes half-closed. He then began puffing the cigarette that hung from his lips as if to taunt her.

"Sh-shut up!" She stood up and hurled her hand towards Craig's face. Before she could make contact with his cheek, he grabbed her wrist. She tried to pull herself away from him, but to no avail. For an instant, their eyes connected. It didn’t seem like an instant, though. It felt more like days instead of seconds. During the time their eyes stayed in contact, however, neither of them could sense any anger from the other. Until…

"Why are you mad at me?"

She snapped out of it and yelled, "You keep saying bad things about me and Nathan!"

"You're mad at me for telling the truth?"

"It's not the truth!"

"Well, the truth does hurt sometimes. It‘s no wonder you‘re not taking it so--"

"It's not the truth!"

"Man, you're real choosy about the reality you accept, aren't you?" Craig leaned in close to her face and looked her straight in the eyes. "Now, go home." He pushed her wrist away, and plopped down on the armchair that was positioned behind him, a small cloud of dust cascading out of it as he did so.

"Go home? It's pouring outside!"

"It always is." He said matter-of-factly.

"I'll get drenched in these clothes! Sweaters aren't exactly water-proof, you jerk!"

"So? Just get drenched. It feels good every once in awhile."
She yelled some incoherent language that not even God knew, and shouted, "Why don't you go home?"

Craig looked up at her and said seriously, "Haven't you ever considered that some people have no home to go to?"

She gasped, and looked down at the floor in shame. "I-I'm sorry... You're homeless...?"

"No, but in this city, it's always nice to consider it when asking someone to go home." He chuckled a little at his joke. The girl was silent; simply staring at Craig in absolute disbelief. "By the way, what's your na--"

"Ohhhhh! Will you just piss off already?! You have at least have an apartment, don't you?!" She raised her fists into the air in frustration.

"You keep interrupting me… But yeah, I have an apartment. I'm just neglecting to go back tonight."

"Then stop neglecting! Get out already!"

Craig blew some smoke out of his mouth, and some out of his nose. The smoke from his cigarettes started to make the room stuffy, as if a light fog was cast around his corner of the room. "Listen, just tell me your name, okay?"

She seemed to be caught a little off-guard. That's a random question, She thought. Her voice's volume went down, and she lowered her arms. "If I tell you, will you leave?"

"I won't make any guarantees, but..." He smirked at her.

She looked at him suspiciously and said, "Fine. My name's Amelia. Amelia Regenen."

"I'm Craig Selva. Pleasure to belatedly make your acquaintance." He puffed out another cloud of smoke.

"Whatever…" There was a long silence between them with nothing but Craig's puffs of smoke. The stench didn't seem to bother Amelia; she must've been used to it.

He casually blew the last puff of smoke straight ahead and asked, "So, are you going to go home now?"

She threw her arms towards him as if to hit him, "Oh my God! How stupid are you?!"

"I don’t see any reason why you can’t just leave, yourself."

"I'll get drenched! I told you that!"

Craig groaned and put out his cigarette in the ash tray that sat on the bedside table. "You rain-hating people really annoy me."

"What do you mean 'rain-hating?' The hell is that supposed to mean?"

"The kind of people who always say things like, ‘Damn, it‘s raining again, isn‘t it?” As if it‘s an inconvenience. When was the last time you‘ve gotten absolutely drenched in the rain?" Amelia stared at him as if he just told her something odd--which he did, he just didn't think so. “Exactly! You don’t know how great it feels to have your clothes saturated with water. Rain also gives birth to plants, makes lakes, rivers, oceans, etcetera, etcetera.” Amelia thought, Wait, how many different tangents is he going on, now? “Without rain, you get no food. Without rain, you die. Without rain, there is no possible way that life can exist.” So what if she thought he was a spaz, that didn’t change the fact that he truly believed in what he was saying.

"You..." Amelia said as she picked up her purse from the dresser, "... are the weirdest, most idiotic person I've ever met." She walked towards the door with her fists clenched.

Craig watched her leaving, surprised that his little scheme worked, and said, "Wait a sec!"

She stopped and turned around, her eyes glaring straight at him with the kind of hate only seen in the movies. Horror movies. The kind that are actually scary. "What?"

“Why do you hate the rain so much?”

Amelia thought about it for a moment before she said, “It just keeps coming down on you, and you can’t get away from it.” She didn’t know if that was a good answer, but she said it, anyway.

Craig leaned towards her in his chair and said slyly, “How is it any different from that shower you just took?”

“What…?”

“If anything, the rain is better, because you’re usually not naked while you’re outside.”

Amelia was about to laugh, but she caught herself by putting a hand over her mouth. “I still don’t like the rain…”

Craig sighed and said with annoyance, "If you hate the rain so damn much, then go ahead and take my trench coat." He motioned his hand towards his yet-to-dry coat, which lay at the foot of the bed.

After a few seconds of contemplation, she tromped over to it, snatched it off the bed, and tromped back to the door.

He called after her, "You'd better return that, you know!"

"Like hell I will! I'll never see you again, anyway!" As she closed the door behind herself, she said quietly, so quiet that Craig could barely hear her, "Thanks..."

Craig stared tiredly at the door as she left. He got up, and flipped the bedside lamp off. Well, that was amusing... He thought to himself as he looked up at the ceiling with his arms resting on either side of himself on the chair's armrests. I wonder if I'll see her again? That'd sure to be entertaining! A smile spread across his face, and he crossed his legs and laced his hands behind his head in preparation for a relaxing night. He was indeed ready to get a good night sleep. With his favorite song, the pitter-patter of rain, playing all night.

-------------------------

The next day, Craig left that God-forsaken little adventure of a hotel and back on the streets. After wandering around, he bought a hot dog from a stand, and called it breakfast. While on his way home, he once again found himself aimlessly walking through the streets in the opposite direction in which he went yesterday. That day, however, everything seemed drastically different to him. Even though he had a good night's sleep, his eyes felt like they were on fire just from looking ahead. Despite being coat-less, he was actually warm.

He stared up at the sky with his eyes partly sealed shut, and put a hand on his furrowed brow to shade his eyes. "Since when does the sun come out here?" The streets were absolutely littered with confused, happy, and surprised people. They stared up at the clear blue skies with awe and a strange feeling of relief. It was as if it were an annual festival to celebrate the one day in the year the sun came out. Craig could even hear some people singing off in the distance. They were several bass-singing men from a bar that he walked by often. He recalled it being called "Hideaway" or something along those lines. They sang something about sunlight and rain going away. Don't get him wrong, it was quite nice, but Craig let out a deep sigh and said to himself, "... They're off-key..." A small smile snuck onto his lips, and he began to walk home-- this time, for real.
----------------------------
I hope that you liked this chapter. (And yes, there is more. I plan to make it into a short novel.)
Last edited by KingKamor on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't we all."

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:58 pm
Myth says...

Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

He tended to enjoy the pitter-patter feeling of water droplets on his face, so he simply never bothered with covering himself up on the frequent rainy days. [in] fact, he preferred the rain over a sunny day every time.

Needs to be a capital I.

He walked over to the counter and leaned on it as the bell boy picked up an old-fashioned tan-colored phone.

Previously you used ‘bellboy’, without a space, you should continue here.

After a few seconds, the bellboy said into the receiver, “Yes, I have a guy here who needs a room for the night, and we’re booked over here, so… yeah, just one guy… oh, really? Well, thanks[,]” He hung up and said to Craig, “Looks like a lot of people like you want to get out of this storm we’re having. I’ll make a few more calls if you’d like.”

Replace that comma with a period.

Well, Craig later found himself walking to Tune Street and sidling inbetween the two closed stores as stealthily as possible.

‘inbetween’ = in between

“It takes a lot of guts to come to a place like this alone,” she said jokingly. “If you’d like a room, then you’re in luck. The couple that took the last room just left…”

Maybe just: she joked

Craig followed her up the stairs all the way [s]up[/s] to the fourth floor.

^^^ See quote

The smells that emanated from each room were too out-there for him to describe to himself[] He was surprised that there was so little… sounds of activity going on throughout the building.

Period needed there.

“They all do their first time here.” She smiled jokingly as she turned the key [to] [s]in the keyhole of[/s] the room numbered 406.

^^^ See quote

At the same time the two of them shouted angrily, “Who the hell are you[?!]

Eek! Never use question and exclamation mark together!

"Nathan! Who is he[?!]" There were sounds of clothes being slipped on inside.

Again, see quote.

Who is this guy again??

You seem to have changed point-of-view from Craig to the girl. And it should only be one question mark.

"It's not the truth!!!!"

*dies* No, not so many exclamation marks!

She yelled some incoherent language that not even God knew, and shouted, "Why don't you go home[?!]"

Another place where you only need the one.

The smoke from his cigarettes were starting to make the room stuffy, as if a light fog was cast around his corner of the room.

Change ‘were’ to ‘was’, or just take it out.

He motioned his hand towards his yet-to-dry coat, which laid at the foot of the bed.

‘laid’ = lay

Here I was thinking he would see her again. Nice ending though.

There were times when you changed point-of-view, throughout it is Craig’s eyes we see this world through, a couple of times you can to the girl.

You also have quite a few typos, and those awful question/exclamation marks. Otherwise quite enjoyable, I don’t usually venture in this part of the forum, I guess I should try more often.

Is there more? I’d like to read it if there is.

-- Myth
.: ₪ :.

'...'

76 Reviews

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:33 pm
KingKamor says...

I guess that I went a bit overboard with the punctuation, but I've seen it done in several books, so I thought that it was okay. I'll make a [s]few[/s] lot of corrections and get to work on the next chapter. So, yes. There's much more to come. Thanks for the critique.
"Don't we all."

76 Reviews

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:06 am
KingKamor says...

Chapter 3: Traction

Craig:

It had been so long since Craig had seen the sun. So long, in fact, that he'd forgotten the color of sunlight. There were so few clouds out that day that he felt a little annoyed with it all. It only stopped raining at night, the daytime being occupied with cloudy or stormy weather. Never before in the ten years that he lived there did he see the sun. His footing on the sun-dried cement was unfamiliar at best. The new frizziness of his hair annoyed him to no end, as well. A little voice in his head told him to take a bath when he got home, and he agreed without a second thought.

The part of the city in which he lived in was around the edge of the slums. There, everyone was either a hobo, or struggling to get by in the dark, damp, filthy apartment buildings. Craig had been in one of his friends' apartments; the walls all had disgusting brown vertical stains on the walls from leaking rain, and the only light was from a single hanging light bulb in each room that had cast a hazy yellow glow on the stained walls with the pull of a string. Craig and his family hated that kind of thing, yet they could only afford so much. Therefore, the way they lived was much different from any other family in that city. Their home resided on the top floor of an abandoned thirty-story-tall building, so he had to walk up an endless flight of stairs to get to it.

"I'm home," Craig yelled into the open door as he approached it. The door was usually left wide open, since nobody ever bothered to come and look for things to steal on a floor that high up. Nobody else lived there, so not even the most adventurous thieves wanted to go inside, anyway. The inside of his home had a somewhat improvised roof, which was made of several large sheets of metal that were slanted and layered so the rain wouldn't leak through. All of the makeshift walls were made of either cardboard or giant wedges of wood, and they all had one form or another of logos, stickers, reminders, calendars, and several other nuisances. The floor was merely the old framework of the building, and since a couple floors had caved in by the time they moved in, only the horizontal steel framework served as decent flooring. They had latters and zip-line type things so that they could get to different places of the building.

It was cramped in the many small makeshift rooms, and what made it even more crowded were the dozens of different little gadgets and gizmos that his father always seemed to find time to make. Sure, they worked in getting from one place to another, but most of them were pretty much worthless. One of his latest inventions was a spring-loaded drawer that opened and closed automatically with the push of a button. Craig never used the top-left drawer of his dresser ever again. His father only kept them to remember his mistakes in invention, despite Craig's mother shouting at him all the time about it.

When Craig shouted out his greeting, there was the familiar sound of a rope sliding through a metal pulley system. "Where the hell were you last night?" His mother, Cassandra, yelled from above. She landed gracefully on a support beam to his left. Cassandra looked as if she were too young to have a son of seventeen, though she was in fact thirty five. Just old enough. She sported long brown hair pulled back into a bun so that it didn't get caught in any of the pulleys, and wore a black t-shirt and tight blue jeans. There hadn’t ever been a chance for her to wear such warm-weather clothes since they built the place, but since the sun was out for once, she made an exception.

"Nice to see you, too," he said, and started to walk down the broken framework towards his room.

Cassandra let out a sigh, and began to follow him in midair along a zip-line, "Your father and I were worried about you. Why didn't you come home last night?"

"I didn't feel too welcome here after that little skirmish we had yesterday."

"That's your excuse?" She palmed her face in annoyance. "But we always yell at each other." Her foot found a solid hold on the steel support in front of her son, "How was yesterday so different?"

He sidled past her, and hopped down a gap between two thick horizontal steel beams into his room. Once inside, he pulled on a rope that plugged up the hole with a circular slab of wood as if it were a cork being put back into a wine bottle. Cassandra let out a sigh, and was about to say something when she was cut off.

"Don't worry about him, Cassy," the voice of a man sounded from the floor above. She looked at the damaged roof ceiling above her to see a tiny submarine-scope-like thing sticking down through a small hole. "But I think that we should take away some of his savings. We don't want him wasting it all on hotels whenever he doesn't come home at night instead of going out to buy food. I mean, that's just stupid."

"I heard that!" Craig yelled from below.

"Yeah, you're right. The hard part is getting him to fork it over." She flipped a small switch on the wall, and a cardboard flap opened up in the ceiling, as well as a ladder that slid down against the wall. Cassandra climbed up the new pathway, and into the room her husband was in. "So, what are you working on now, Victor?"

The man looked up at her, wearing round black goggles and an oil-stained white tank top, and said, "Just something that could help to fix that generator. It hasn't been recharging as much from the waterwheel lately, so I looked into it, and one of the gears causes it to turn too slow. This new gear should fix that." He wiped his sweaty brow, which also brushed his short, stringy black hair aside.

Cassandra looked over her husband's shoulder to see that he was shaping a round hunk of metal into a new gear. "Well, just try not to have the wheel fall off like it did last time."

"Hey. That was your fault." Victor pointed one of his tools at her.

"Like hell it was," Cassandra said casually, and pushed aside a round piece of wood on the wall, which revealed a chute wide enough for a person to go through. She went in feet-first like a slide, and ended up in the so-called “Master Bedroom” where she decided to take a nap in the spot of sunlight that came through the window.

Amelia:

Even though Amelia got home around four in the morning, she donned her Hello Kitty pajamas and managed to sleep a few hours. She woke up at ten in the morning. Amelia walked down the dark-carpeted stairs of her home and ended up in the entryway of the house with a drowsy look in her eyes. The white walls that seemed to come at her from every direction had always made her feel both at-home and unwelcome in a way. Her home life was full of bright, vibrant colors and an elegant quiet air, while her social life in the city was surrounded by rain clouds, dark steel buildings, and outrageous din that was enough to make her ears hurt. The rain was never quite her cup of tea, though. She could do without that. Her home was on the outskirts of the city, and she went to a private school, which was even further away from it. It was usually very frustrating for her, since most of her social life went on within the city’s walls of rain. But what’s a seventeen-year-old girl to do? Run away with the car her father just bought for her?

Upon seeing her father, Bernard, sitting at the dinner table with the newspaper, her heart sank deep into her stomach. Despite the memory of the fight they had the night before, she sat down in the chair opposite the bald-headed businessman. He already had put on his suit, and, like the master of clichés, had a sip of steaming-hot coffee before lowering his newspaper and staring at Amelia with seriousness in his eyes. Though he wasn’t really a man of strong build, he really looked serious.

"Good morning, dad," Amelia whispered, her eyes trailing away from his.

He stared at her with his hands folded on the table, and finally said, "I know that you hate these talks that parents have with their children... but I want you to listen to me right now as an--"

"'Intelligent individual.'" Amelia finished with annoyance, "Ugh, you've said that so many times that I can recite every word you're going to say."

Bernard looked straight at her with the slightest bit of anger in his eyes. He calmly folded his newspaper, and stood up with it under his arm. "Then you must know that you're grounded for a month."

Amelia slammed her hands on the table and shouted, "What?!" Her voice cracked a little at the peak of the word, and the anger in her eyes could put Cujo to shame.

Bernard stood up from his chair and picked up his briefcase. “You need to get to school. Your classes start at eleven.” He marched towards the garage, where his black Volvo was parked. Amelia’s car, a red New Bug convertible, was parked right next to it. Both cars took up little space compared to the rest of the crap in there. Everything and the kitchen sink, literally, was thrown in there when it stopped working. So the story went after Amelia’s mother left.

“Prick…” Amelia said to herself when she heard her father’s car start. She stood up from her chair, marched up to her room, and got into her school uniform. She’d never liked to have to wear a school uniform. For one thing, the skirt went too far above her knees, which she really hated. Furthermore, the long-sleeved top had small shoulder pads, and she had to wear a tie. All of these things were real peeves to her. Several times in the past she had used her embroidery skills to alter it, but the teachers didn’t take it too well, and she was suspended every time.

At her school, which was ironically called St. Bernard Private School, no relation to her father, she barely managed to park in the clustered lot behind the main building. Once she did, she trekked up the long steps to the back entrance. A few male students who were clearly delinquents, seeing as they didn’t wear their uniform jackets, whistled and whooped as they saw Amelia run up the stairs as if she were a walking in a strip joint in the city. She was able to ignore them for the time being, but they had been doing it for two months straight, and it was starting to piss her off. There was, however, a lesson Amelia learned from them: parents with money can get their kids into almost any school, no matter how stupid said children are.

“Amelia! Hey!” A girl called as she ran up to Amelia. The other student wore the same black and brown uniform as her, but was much taller with dark brown hair cut very short.

Amelia said with a lazy wave to her friend, “What’s up, Jacky?”
The tall girl stopped in front of Amelia, panting from her mad dash over, and said, “What happened to you and Nathan last night? You left the group without telling us!”

Even though Amelia was feeling bad about being grounded by her father, Jacky bringing up the little incident last night made her feel even worse. “Ugh… I don’t want to talk about it, Jacky.” She put a hand on her head as if she had a headache.

“Why? What happened?”

“… I’ll be breaking up with him when I see him today…”

“What? But it looked like you two were having so much fun at the diner last night! What the hell happened after you left?”

Amelia paused for a moment before saying, “He took me to… a love hotel…”

“Wha--?” Jacky began to yell, but caught herself and said quietly, “He what?”

“He took me to a tacky love hotel. I was completely overwhelmed as he took me there. I had no idea what to expect-- it just kind of happened.”

“You mean you--?”

“No, we didn’t do it.”

Jacky let out a huge sigh of relief. "So, you just told him off, and now you're in a fight?"

Amelia shook her head and continued. “I took a shower, leaving him in the room. When I came out…”

Jacky didn’t say anything for a few seconds, waiting for her friend to continue.

“There was another person in the room, and Nathan was gone…”

After a few seconds, Jacky’s face contorted into anger and she shouted, “I’m gonna kill that bastard!”

“Jacky?”

“Just wait ‘till I get my hands on him! I’ll rip out his tongue just to shove it back down his throat!”

“Jacky! Calm down! Hey!” Amelia grabbed Jacky’s arm before she could do any damage to the immediate area around them.

“What’s wrong with kicking an ass hole’s ass?”

“Just stop, okay? I’m not in the mood right now…” Jacky stared at her friend in surprise. Amelia had always stood there and laughed whenever she went on one of her rampages. It always seemed to cheer both of them up, but… perhaps now wasn’t the time. Amelia looked down at the tile floor and said, “We should get to class now… I’ll see you at lunch…” She walked towards the classroom down the hall with her head hung low and her hair shadowing her eyes.

“Amelia…”
----------------------------------
And writer's block in three... two... one... AAAGH!! *headdesk*
Last edited by KingKamor on Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't we all."

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:01 pm
Myth says...

Green = Comment/Correction
Blue = Suggestion
Black = Review

There were so few clouds out that day... that he felt a little annoyed with it all.

Uh – I don’t really see the point of the ellipses in there, you should just take them out.

It hadn't ever stopped raining except for at night. Never before in the ten years that he lived there did he see the sun. It was either cloudy or raining all the time. He wasn't even used to walking on dry cement, since he had always slipped and slid along the smooth sidewalks instead of doing a full-fledged walk. His hair hadn't ever been so damn frizzy and dry, either, and it was annoying him to no end.

This gets a little, “This didn’t, that hadn’t,” you could put it in other words, rephrasing, and maybe you could say where he lived—you don’t have to—but saying ‘ten years that he lived there’ doesn’t give it a real impression of a real place.

Craig had been in one of his friends' apartments; the walls all had disgusting brown vertical stains on the walls from leaking rain, and the only light was from a single hanging light bulb in each room that had cast a lazy yellow glow on the stained walls with the pull of a string.

I think you meant ‘hazy’ rather than ‘lazy’?

There hadn’t ever been a chance for her to where such warm-weather clothes since they built the place, but since the sun was out for once, she made an exception.

Typo: ‘where’ = wear

"Don't worry about him[,] Cassy," the voice of a man sounded from the floor above.

^^^ See quote

Several times in the past she had used her embroidery skills to alter it, but the teachers didn’t take it too well, and she was [s]kind of[/s] suspended every time.

Never, ever include these in writing: sort of, kind of, some, somehow, unless it is in dialogue. I mean, here, it seems as if you got suspended or she might not have, ‘kind of’ shows you’re not too sure. And, you can’t ‘kind of’ get suspended, you either do or you don’t.

At her school, which was ironically called St. Bernard Private School, nor relation to her father, she barely managed to park in the clustered lot behind the main building.

‘nor’ = no

I found one of the hateful question-exclamation marks in there somewhere.

One of the parts that I found confusing was Craig’s house, I didn’t know whether they were the only occupants of the buildings and can’t really grip what it looks like. I think you described, but it was a little hard to try and imagine the place. Is there somewhere you could compare it to?

I think his father was a clichéd character, an inventor who hasn’t mastered his skill and leaves stuff broken. Why don’t you at least give him something to do when he isn’t inventing or make one or two of his products saleable?

The parts where you went on about other peoples apartments was like info dump, the reader doesn’t really see any of this so perhaps getting Craig to compare his home with one of his friends’ would do the trick?

-- Myth
.: ₪ :.

'...'

76 Reviews

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:10 am
KingKamor says...

Once again, Myth, thank you for tearing this chapter to shreds. =3
"Don't we all."

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:35 pm
TellATaleForTwo says...

Hey Jon! I really liked this. Cant wait till you put up more.
So ah... when will that be exactly???
"Theoretically, if you go to the past in the future, then your future lies in the past. This is a picture of you in the future - in the past."

~Kate and Leopold

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:52 pm
Sean Pendr says...

[The rain seemed to come down as if to poke fun at the people who loved the sunlight. It came down from dawn to dusk without stopping. Craig had always liked the rain, so he never wore a waterproof jacket or kept an umbrella with him. He tended to enjoy the pitter-patter feeling of water droplets on his face, so he simply never bothered with covering himself up on the frequent rainy days. In fact, he preferred the rain over a sunny day every time. All he did throughout those gloomy days in the city were talking with his friends on the streets, maintaining his little "gang's" territory, and taking walks in the rain with his clothes saturated with the chillingly cold gift from the clouds. In a way, he, too, poked fun at the sun-loving people in the dark and disgusting city he lived in.] this is the best character introduction i have EVER SEEN NO JOKE!!!) OMG your on your way man, your on your way!!!!! :shock:
I do not want the first pithy lines that pop into your head. I'm not interested in that. I want plot, real characters, sharp dialogue. Plan, dream, live your story, then write it. Novel writing is not for the impulsive. ~Kitty15

76 Reviews

Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:40 pm
KingKamor says...

TellATaleFor2 wrote:Hey Jon! I really liked this. Cant wait till you put up more.
So ah... when will that be exactly???
When I stop being lazy and get the fourth chapter going! =P

Sean Pendr wrote:this is the best character introduction i have EVER SEEN NO JOKE!!!) OMG your on your way man, your on your way!!!!! :shock:
Wow. Thanks! that's the best comment I've ever gotten on any of my writing. *bows in thanks*
"Don't we all."

76 Reviews

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:59 am
KingKamor says...

Sorry for the wait. I had to get over a writer's block mid-chapter, but I'm over it now! Here it is!

Chapter 4: Back in the Rain

Craig:

“Just when I thought I could make peace with the sun…” Craig said as he laid down in a hammock that Cassandra had set up on the roof. It was strung between two chimneys that jutted out of the slanted rooftop, and only those not afraid of heights dared to take a nap on the yellow-colored hammock. He tried hard to like the sun, going so far as to try to take off everything but his boxers to get a tan from the newly-unveiled ball of fire. Or rather, Cassandra made him want to do it. To his dismay, however, his shoulders were sunburned. “But no, it had to go and burn me. Thanks a lot, sun. Really appreciate it.”

“You’re a real white boy, Craig,” Cassandra’s voice sounded from the trap door off to the side of the roof.

Craig threw a detestable look her way. “Not like I can help it-- OW!” She had flicked his shoulder as she walked by, causing him to toss and turn in pain on the hammock.

“Time to get back inside. It’s my turn.”

“You don’t have to flick me!”

“Details, details, now get out!” She flipped the hammock and made him fall onto the metal roof with a terrible thud. “Mommy wants some time to herself right now.” She brandished a pair of thick sunglasses from the collar of her low-cut sweater and casually laid herself down in the hammock.

After writhing on the rooftop for a few minutes from the pain of hitting his shoulder on the metal, Craig stood up and made his way to the trap door. “And you wonder why I don’t come home some nights!”

“Oh, for God’s sake, if you can’t take a little teasing, you’ll never make it in life.”

“Like you’re one to talk about ‘making it in life.’”

“Touché.”

Craig climbed down the rope ladder into the main part of the building. “Dad, I’m going out!” He called into the bowels of the top three floors. Even though there was hardly an “Okay” on his father’s part, Craig continued through the rope-work into his room to retrieve his clothes. Just as he approached the coat rack that was placed in the back corner of his room, he finally remembered something: He gave his coat to that girl he met last night. “Oh, God, I can’t believe that I actually gave it to her,” He said to himself as he palmed his face.

“You really shouldn’t talk to yourself. People will think you‘re crazy.” Victor sounded from above. The sudden voice made Craig jump, but he just stared up through the ceiling with a glare.

“Shut up, Dad, you do it all the time.” He began to trudge towards the trap door on the floor that led to the stairway when his father said:

“So, who’s this girl you gave your favorite trench coat to, huh?”

Craig stopped in his tracks. “No-one. She was in a bit of a bind last night while it was still raining, so I lent it to her.”

“To someone you’re almost sure to never see again?”

“Yeah, so? Maybe I just felt a little charitable last night?”

Victor snorted from trying to keep a laugh in, and received another glare from his son that seemed to pierce the very material that separated them. He sighed, “Ah, never mind. Carry on.”

“I was planning to. See ya.”

Amelia:

Whatever ninja skills she possessed had helped her to sneak out of the house without her father knowing. The sun had set on the city about an hour before, and Amelia went to Old Jay’s, a diner that she frequented, to meet with her friends. Amelia found a seat in a booth in the far corner of the rundown place, since her group always sat there. She could only hope to God that Nathan didn’t come. He was at school that day, but it was just sheer dumb luck that they didn’t see each other. She didn’t even know why she agreed to come back to the city to see everyone, and her mind was still recovering from what had happened the night before. Because it’s been awhile, that’s why! She told herself, but she needed a bit more convincing than that. Where’s someone to kick me in the ass when I need it?

“There she is!” A guy yelled from near the entrance of the diner. Amelia looked up to see several of her friends come towards her location, including Jacky and Sean, who was the one who spotted her. Nathan wasn’t among them. Sean was rather short and scrawny, but he actually has gotten in more fights than anyone else in the school. He had a record of fifteen wins and one loss, but he never told anyone who it was he lost to. His long and stringy brown hair was tied back into a ponytail

“Hey, everyone,” She said feebly with her hand slightly raised in a wave.

Every one sat down and began chatting and ordering food. Amelia didn’t feel like including herself in the conversation, so she just sat where she was and laughed at the right moments. At some point Sean went over to the old jukebox and started playing “Zoot Suit Riot.” He absolutely loved music like jazz and swing.

Just as she began to get a feeling of normalcy, Sean asked her, “Where’d you get this dirty jacket?”

Amelia looked down at the coat that she was wearing with surprise. She had no idea that she was wearing that guy’s trench coat. “What the…? I forgot that I put this on for tonight…”

Jacky added, “Well, you should throw it away or something-- it’s torn at the bottom and has stains all over it. I think that burning would be the best strategy, actually. Anyway, where‘d you get it?”

For awhile, Amelia didn’t say anything. She just reveled in the fact that the coat made her feel unexpectedly warm. It didn’t seem dirty or tattered to her, it just made her feel more at home than anywhere else. “I got it… from someone I met here in the city.”

“Who, some hobo?” One of her friends sounded from the other side of the table.

The rest of the group laughed, including Amelia. It was the first real laugh she had all evening.

“I guess that you could say that, but he does have an apartment somewhere in the city, so he’s technically not a hobo.”

“So you actually talked with the guy?”

“Yeah.”

Jacky pestered her friend with question after question, all of which Amelia answered with a matter-of-fact tone. Over the course of the interrogation, Amelia told them all that happened the night before. Everyone seemed to be on her side, which she was very relieved to find out. Nathan had only entered their group because he asked her out. None of her friends actually liked him in the first place, since he was one of the more popular students in the school.

“What, so nothing actually happened between you and that ‘Craig‘ guy?” Jacky asked persistently.

“Well, I was pretty confused last night, thinking that I was technically still Nathan’s girlfriend, so no. Nothing happened.” Amelia buttoned the trench coat, as if it would protect her from her friends’ questions.

There was a roar of disappointment all around the table.

“You coulda rubbed it in that bastard Nathan’s face if you did that guy!” Sean remarked rather loudly, to Amelia’s embarrassment.

“That’d have been so wrong! Jeez!” Amelia stated with her cheeks slightly flushed at the thought. “It’s my policy not to get together with someone else until two weeks after a breakup.”

“Oh, come on!” Jacky yelled, “Nathan has no such policy! I’ll bet that he’ll be going out with some whore by the end of tomorrow!”

“Yeah. If Nathan weren’t such an asshole, then he’d go by the same rules as our little Amelia.” Sean added.

Amelia rested her head atop the table, using her arms as a pillow. “Stop it, will you?” She whined playfully.

“Aw, but it’s so much fun to tease you!” Jacky and Sean said in perfect unison, which they tended to do often. The rest of the group roared with laughter.

Amelia thought back on how Craig teased her the night before and said with a smile, “I guess you’re right about that.”

After the group ordered and ate their food, they paid for said food and left Old Jay’s. As they started towards the exit of the diner, there was a startling flash of light outside. Following it a few seconds later was the sound of thunder.

“What the--?” Amelia exclaimed as she rushed out the door, her friends following quickly behind her. They looked up at the night sky to see the start of endless sheets of rain that came down on top of them just as they faced upwards. Jacky yelped in lighthearted surprise, as did everyone else, accept for Amelia. They all rushed to take their umbrellas out to keep themselves dry. Amelia simply continued to stare up at the clouds as if hypnotized.

“Amelia! Get out your umbrella or that trench coat’ll get soaked!” Sean yelled as the rest of the group began to walk off. She remained still, her eyes transfixed onto the heavens. “Amelia?”

She smiled towards the rainy black clouds and said, “I’m fine, Sean,” she turned towards her friends. “The rain really suits this place better than the sun. I may as well get used to getting drenched if I‘ll be coming here so often, right?”

Her friends stared at her with confused expressions. After awhile of staring at each other without a word, they simply smiled and started on their way home. Amelia remained the only one not using an umbrella, but was actually the happiest one there.

Craig:

Craig sat on the roof of his home with his back against a stone chimney wall. His hair was comfortably matted against his scalp, his clothes saturated with rain, a lit cigarette in his mouth, and a wide smile on his face. As another bolt of lightning flashed across the roof of clouds, he said to himself, "About damn time, too..."

((This is just a kind of filler chapter until the next chain of events begins. I hope that you enjoyed the introduction of Sean! He's a pretty good guy, so don't judge him too harshly. ^^; Please give me some good critiques!))
"Don't we all."

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:52 pm
TellATaleForTwo says...

er... there is nothing to critique(not that i see anyway).
all i can say is i want more!
lol
*siits and waits*

~Tina
"Theoretically, if you go to the past in the future, then your future lies in the past. This is a picture of you in the future - in the past."

~Kate and Leopold

76 Reviews

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:37 am
KingKamor says...

(I apologize for the long wait. I was on a trip with my family the week before last week, and my dad shut off my internet for the week after. I managed to type another two chapters after this one, so you could say that I'm ahead of the game right now, but this chapter still makes me feel very uneasy... you'll see why once you read it...)

Chapter 5: Wednesday, Self Portrayed

Craig:

“What the hell, Craig?” Allen yelled in confusion, “You gave your trench to some random bitch?” He was a black teenager who was around Craig’s age, also a high school drop-out, and wore a thick sweatshirt with the hood up. If he took the hood off, shoulder-length dread locks would spill out like a weeping willow. Though he was of fairly small build, he looked bigger than he was because of his sweatshirt and baggy pants. Even though Craig abhorred anyone wearing the ’gangster’ look, Allen seemed to be the one exception. He and Craig were standing in an alleyway out in the rain near Allen’s apartment building.

“Yeah, so?” Craig said as he lit another cigarette and blew a few puffs before placing it between his lips. “Her boyfriend left her there, and I felt a bit nicer than I usually do.”

“’Nice?’ Didn’t know you had any ‘nice’ in you.”

“Details, details.” He took the cigarette out of his mouth and blew out some more smoke. He then looked down the alley. “So, are those assholes down there somewhere?”

“Yeah. They chased me out last week, and said that they didn’t want no black guy on their turf.”

Craig’s hand twitched at the sound of the racist comment, dropping his half-finished tobacco stick into a puddle of rainwater. If there was one thing that Craig hated the most, it was racism, especially when it pertained to Allen or any other black person he know. “Those damned bastards.” His hands formed into fists and tromped down the path and turned the corner.

“Craig, don’t tray to take these racist bastards by yourself. I’ll do it.”

“That’ll make them correct, won’t it? If you attack them, that makes you worse than they are. I’ll fight them for you, you got that? Now, how many of them are there?” His face was contorted in sheer rage, and a blood vessel was easily visible on his forehead. He was struggling to keep his anger under control, as if he were trying to keep the Hoover Dam from breaking.

“’Bout six of ‘em.”

Craig walked next to a dumpster, and sifted through the top layer of garbage until he fished out a steel pipe. “Easy picking. Wait here. If you have any part of the fight, they’ll blame you for it even if you don’t throw a punch.” He slammed the pipe on the edge of the dumpster, leaving a huge dent in it.

Amelia:

“I hate Wednesdays,” Jacky moaned as she sluggishly rested her head on her desk. It was just before homeroom, and barely half of the class was there yet. Sean was talking to a few of his other friends in the corner, the top button of his uniform undone as always.

“Not as much as I hate school in general,” Amelia countered her friend as she set her bag down on the desk beside Jacky’s.

“Hi. How did the sneaking-around go last night?”

“Pretty well. My dad woke up when I walked down the hall to my room.”

“How is that ‘pretty well?’”

“I just said that I went to get some water, and he just fell back asleep.”

“Oh, God. You’re dad’s an idiot!” Jacky stood up and stretched her arms and legs.

“Isn’t he, though?” She took a thin black notebook out of her bag before saying, “Oh, and I called Nathan last night, too.”

Jacky sat straight up in her seat, “Did you tell the bastard off?”

Amelia smiled slyly, “That little interrogation you guys gave me last night really helped me to get over him that fast. Looks like I never even liked him in the first place, I just thought that I did. On the phone, I acted all hurt and fragile. He kept on apologizing and everything, but I ended with an efficient coup de grace by saying,” She made a sad face, with her hand playing the role of the phone, “’I can’t believe that you would hurt me like that, Nathan! Goodbye!’ Click.” She hung up her hand on the desk.

“Nice. Knuckle me.”

-----------------------------------------------------------

The school day at St. Bernard’s had three periods a day, two hours per period with five minutes between classes and a twenty minute break after the first period of the day, starting at eleven and ending the day at five thirty. Students have six periods, but the particular periods taught depend on the day. For Mondays and Wednesdays, first through third. For Tuesdays and Thursdays, fourth through sixth. Amelia’s sixth period class was AP Art class, one of the only classes that she actually liked.

Amelia was putting her supplies away when her teacher, Mrs. Salinger, her full name being Janette Salinger, came up to her and said, “Amelia, can I talk to you later? After class?” She was a somewhat short middle aged hispanic woman with short brown hair with highlights in them. The art teacher always wore a Wal-Mart apron instead of the school-issue one. Everyone looked up to her, and she always had a great story to tell at least once every class period, with all of the students listening to her instead of doing their artwork. Her popularity has caused most everyone in the student body who knew her to call her Ms. Sal.

“Okay,” she said, and stood up to put her pencils in the drawer in the wall labeled with her name. The art room’s walls were strewn with sketches and paintings done by students. Several of Amelia’s artwork were hung up there. One of her first paintings was of a pasture of tall grass that stretched off towards the horizon, with one wind-blown tree in the foreground. It was her first-ever “masterpiece.” When she finished putting everything away, she sat at her desk until the bell rang for everyone to leave the room in a neat stream out the door. In a minute, she and Ms. Sal were the only ones left in the classroom.

“So…” Amelia said nervously. “What’d you want to talk to me about?” It wasn’t usually Ms. Sal who initiated their conversations, so it was rather odd that she did.

Ms. Sal walked over to a table in the corner of the room, which had several frameless paintings spread out over it. She picked up two of them and went over to Amelia’s desk. “I’m wondering about your last complete painting and your current work-in-progress.” She brandished them in front of Amelia. The first was from last month, which was of two people holding hands, but only the hands were shown. One was a man, the other a woman, both with generic features of male and female hands. The background beyond the hands was in the city, so the two people were walking down a sidewalk. The colors were generally dark, and had rain in the background along with the cityscape and sidewalk.

“I remember that one.” She grimaced at the fact that Nathan’s influence caused her to paint it.

“What caught my eye is this pre-painting sketch that you did today.” Ms. Sal placed the large sheet atop the painting. It showed a full view of a sidewalk from the street with numerous people walking on it in the rain. Every person in the sketch had an umbrella, except for one girl in the center of the paper, who looked as if she were basking in the rain.

“Yeah, what’s wrong with it?” Amelia asked, clearly confused.

Ms. Sal pulled up a chair and sat down in it. “Do you remember the conversation you students and I had about art at the beginning of the year? The one about art being about self-reflection?”

“Uh-huh. Why?”

She picked up the old painting and said, “If you look at this, none of the rain is touching either of the hands, and the rain is only in the background. If the background weren’t there, you wouldn’t even know it’s raining.” Ms. Sal swapped to the sketch. “Now this is what kind of surprised me. The girl is alone now, for one thing, and it looks like she’s actually liking the rain in this. It’s completely different from your other one.”

It took awhile for Amelia to answer. “Okay, so they’re different. What’s the problem?”

Ms. Sal laughed, “There’s no ‘problem,’ per se. I’m just trying to say that you’re changing. Changing your life situation, your opinions on things, etcetera, etcetera. I‘m just notifying you that your life may start to change pretty soon.”

“Well, I did just break up with Nathan last night over the phone.” Ms. Sal nodded her head, listening intently. “And I guess that I’m starting to learn to deal with the rain now, but… These things aren’t too big of a deal. It’s just logical reasoning. Nathan turned out to be an ass, so I broke up with him. And I’m more used to the rain because…” She trailed off without finishing her sentence.

“Can’t think of a reason?” Ms. Sal asked as she picked up the drawings and took them back to the table in the back.

“Well… I think that it may be because I talked with someone who lives in the city. Since I live in the suburbs, away from the skyscrapers where it rains a lot less, I guess that I learned about his point of view.”

“Ah, that’s good. Learning other peoples’ points of view is something that this world can be better about.”

“Yeah, I guess so,” Amelia looked up at the clock on the wall and said, “It’s been awhile, so can I go now?”

“Go ahead.”

“Okay. Bye, Ms. Sal! See you on Thursday!” She grabbed her book bag and ran out of the classroom.

Ms. Sal waved goodbye, walked over to her desk, and sat in her chair. “Ah, to be young again…” She spun around on her chair with a smirk on her face.
------------------------------------------

(God, does this chapter suck. The descriptions are out-of-place, they're bland, and make me flinch when I reread them. I knew that I wanted to add all of the details of their lives in throughout the story, but I ended up cramming a crap load of infodumping into this chapter. Sure, the insight was given, I just could've done it with a bit more grace... I'll go back and edit this when I get my next block.)
Last edited by KingKamor on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't we all."

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns