z

Young Writers Society

Poor Man's Copyright

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:45 pm
Chevy says...

A lot of people end up in a hold because they never cophyrighted their material. Maybe they didn't think they had to. Maybe they didn't have the time. Or maybe they didn't they had the money.
I know for myself, at fourteen years old, I don't have time or the money to copyright my work, but I would encourage all writers who don't currently have a copyright to do a Poor Man's Copyright. A Poor Man's Copyright is very simple and only cost 37cents:

1:Put what you've written in an envelope.
2:Put a stamp on the envelope.
3:Address the envelope to yourself.
4:Put it in the mailbox.
5:When the envelope gets back to you, DO NOT open it.

The reason for not opening the envelope is so that it would be pure proof, when someone tries to use your stuff without giving you credit or asking for your permission that you it belongs to you. The way that you will be able to prove that it's exactly yours is because any envelope that goes through the postal office is postmarked which means it has the date you put it on the mailbox on it. Meaning that you if you put in the mailbox July 9, 2004 and someone tries to use your work and claim it as their own December 2, 2005, you will be able to prove by the postmarked envelope that you had it was before December 2005.
I hope this information has been helpful!
~CAG77~
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:57 pm
InnerTurmoil says...

hey thats awesome im in college so i really dont have time or money to try and get copywrite!! Plus I have so many darn poems floating around it would cost mucho deniro!!

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:33 am
Elelel says...

Hehehe... :D That is so sneaky... reminds me of something I read somewhere, where some writers, instead of doing a little cover letter thing, they write:

Dear editor,
once upon a time...

And the editor gets tricked into reading the story because they start off thinking it's just a continuation of the letter. And hopefully, but the time they realise their mistake, they've noticed how good it is and are hooked!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:26 pm
norris_redford says...

One problem.

Editors really aren't that stupid. A good editor is so known in his profession he/she will just toss that sort of thing aside. They want to read your coverletter. If you don't have one, you will be considered unproffesional and put in the discard pile.

As for the mail thing, my one English teacher taught me that. Very amusing, and very useful.
Non omnis moriar.

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:51 pm
J. Wilder says...

But the second you write something, it's copyright by you, right?

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:14 am
uniaeca says...

Oh great CarsandGuitars77, now you've got me worried about my poem... I guess I better go borrow an envelope and stamp...
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:31 am
Nai says...

Hey I have another idea,

Do you think it would work if you took a camcorder and just got a long, clear shot of your work just like laid on a table? I mean, I know it'll probably take more time and it's more expensive and pretty much more wasteful, do you think it could work?
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:17 am
Elelel says...

norris_redford wrote:One problem.

Editors really aren't that stupid. A good editor is so known in his profession he/she will just toss that sort of thing aside. They want to read your coverletter. If you don't have one, you will be considered unproffesional and put in the discard pile.

As for the mail thing, my one English teacher taught me that. Very amusing, and very useful.

I know it won't work, but I read it somewhere and though it was pretty funny, so I just said it for amusments sake.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

Random avatar

Reviews: 82
Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:35 pm
misspriss says...

Thanks! I've always wondered about that...now my mind is at rest!

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 pm
Via says...

Haha! That's a stinkin' sweet idea!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

441 Reviews

Reviews: 441
Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:42 pm
Gwenevire says...

That's really smart eh!
Good thinking. I might do that with some of my work! :D
Thanks!

Genevieve
xxx

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:37 pm
Kit says...

The Poor Man's Copyright is not legally considered proof alone, as it can be faked. Check it out.

http://www.copyrightauthority.com/poor-mans-copyright/
Princess of Parataxis, Mistress of Manichean McGuffins

376 Reviews

Reviews: 376
Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:51 pm
Trident says...

Many thanks for that site, Kit. I never understood the reasoning behind the poor man's copyright anyway.
Perception is everything.

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:56 pm
Meep says...

Thanks for bringing that up, Kit. I always feel like a funkiller when I do.

Here is the U.S. government FAQ, which addresses "poor man's copyright," and here is the Snopes.com article on the subject. (Mmm, Snopes.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

I know where the wall goes.
— Creed, the Office