z

Young Writers Society

The UnChosen Ones: Through Sheer Luck

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat May 08, 2010 1:59 pm
fictionfanatic says...

deleted
Last edited by fictionfanatic on Sat May 08, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live, Love, Laugh

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sat May 08, 2010 3:44 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Guys, did you read the rules on the first page?

Spoiler! :
RULES:

1.) No having god-like powers. Honestly. This annoys me more than anything. Make sure you are beatable, and make sure your characters have flaws.

2.) Every post must be at least 200 words. Use proper grammar and spell-check your work. Don't post one giant paragraph with no breaks.

3.) Keep discussions to the DT. Do not post something like, "Bring me in please!" in this thread. I will make a DT for this as soon as I can and post a link here.

4.) Please read the events that have transpired before posting something. We don't want contradictions.

5.) Swearing is allowed but don't overdo it.

6.) Don't kill off other characters without permission, unless they're NPCs.

7.) Posts must be well-written and thought out properly. Let's avoid needless random scenes.

8.) Similar to Griff's SB, bad posts can and will be ignored. Make sure your post is coherent and has no contradictions. Thank you.

9.) HAVE FUN!!

Anyhow. I'm not posting in this. I just can't bring myself in anywhere. And I can't follow your posts at all either. Kara and Skin's posts I can follow....but not anyone elses. They'll all bunched up together in one huge paragraph... o.O It hurts my eyes.

Hope you don't mind this, Kara.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat May 08, 2010 3:45 pm
PhoenixBishop says...

*Tell me if this is ok*

Shadow~

I got home rather late from my job at the movie theaters. A boring job compared to my previous one but it paid the bills. I looked in my fridge to find some cold pizza and old chinese food. I grabbed the pizza and took it to my couch and turned on the TV. I was about to sit down when I noticed one of my magazines were out of place. I picked the magazine up and a letter fell out. I picked it up and read it.

Shadow

Although you are retired your services are needed once more. You are to kill a teenage human by the name of Shane Dane. If you do this you will receive 4 million dollars and you'll never be asked to perform a hit again.

There was a picture and some brief information about Shane Dane but that was it. There was no indication on why someone had put out such a large hit on this kid. I thought about it. As of now I got several hit requests a day and I ignored them. Those letters never offered to leave me alone. I moved to my wall and removed the picture of a meadow to reveal a safe. I rolled the dial until it clicked and opened it. Sitting in the middle of the safe were a pair of scythe of all black.

"Come on boys we have one more job to do," I said. I picked of the two scythe and threw the picture of Shane Dane in the air. With quick strokes I cut it into several pieces before it hit the ground.

*Obviously I'm not actually going to kill him. My plan is that something is going to stop him and he'll reluctantly join the team. Tell me if this is ok.*
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat May 08, 2010 3:50 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

**Uh... guys? I don't think this is modern... I don't know, but I don't think it is. If it's modern I'm gonna have to drop. Hecate doesn't work in a modern setting.**
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 08, 2010 3:53 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Here's your answer, Gspp.

Kara Hargreaves wrote:And no, this is not set in the middle-ages. Thank you for asking that question, Skins.

This is set in a world where cars -cough, jeeps, cough- and basic technology exists. Like radios, etc. Think 1930s or 40s technology in a place with lots of rural patches and a whiff of a bustling city - without the skyscrapers and giant buildings of course.

If this world is a little difficult to imagine tell me and I'll explain it further.

So yeah, semi-modern.

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Sat May 08, 2010 4:05 pm
sunstarfrozenlife says...

Zanea

I could tell all of these people had secrets about them I didn't know about. Great. But still, they seemed alright despite the fact that this whole thing was.... a bit odd.

"What does that have to do with us exactly?" Esmerelda asked. I was wondering the same thing, but I tried to be a bit more polite when I asked,

"Yes, what?"
When your life is based around the face of Sawyer from Lost you know you're officially obsessed.
--
Join Isha's SB, the Shadows!
And mine, Lament of Innocence!
And LDR's, Dark Fey!
And- ok, I'm going to shut up now.
:D

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat May 08, 2010 4:12 pm
View Likes
gsppcrocks10 says...

**Ohh... *bites lip* Yeah, I'm gonna have to drop... Hecate just won't work in this time period. :\**
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

212 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 08, 2010 6:14 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Why drop? She should still work in the time period...

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sat May 08, 2010 10:00 pm
kidashka says...

@ScarlettFire: come and join my character! :D

Also, I agree, could peeps use more spacing in their posts please!

~Senra~

I swam lazily at the side of the side of the lake, idly making swirly patterns in the water. It was midsummer, so the water was warm on my skin and all the plants were in full bloom around the lake's edge. I sighed in boredom. Most of my brothers and sisters were on Wishmaking duties, meaning that I was pretty much alone with no one to talk to except some of my grumpier siblings.

Also, it was my turn to help the next Wishmaker.

I scowled slightly, blowing bubbles from just below the water's surface. Suddenly, footsteps. I dived beneath the water, watching with trepidation as a figure approached.

Oh dear god, they were reading the plaque. The one all about the magical wish-granting properties of the lake. Gah. The last thing I wanted to do right now was follow some Wishmaker from here to heaven knows where to find the love of their life, or whatever else they had in mind.

Hang on. Hadn't the chosen one recently been found? Horrific thoughts of having to accompany the Chosen One and save the world filled my mind. That would take forever.
And the risk of death was way too high for my liking.

I quickly popped my head out of the water, grinning like an idiot. "Hello there," I announced, searching my mind for some sort of distraction technique, or any way to convince them that making a wish would be a Really Bad Idea.

EDIT: The figure can be anyone, but could someone please reply!
Last edited by kidashka on Sun May 09, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

123 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 123
Sun May 09, 2010 6:40 pm
Vanadis says...

Bertram the Bumbling

Bertram was pleased with himself. Very pleased.

After he had asked his dog to spell-check the letter, he'd sent it and then sat back in his small kitchen to listen to his radio and have a bit of egg, some tea, and the most rank cigar he'd been able to procure. The old beagle, Carl, moved his head up lazily to look at the wizard.

"Oh, you're quite right, Carl. It really is a wonderful day." He took a sip of his tea, spitting it out suddenly. "Oh, oh. I get what you're saying, old boy. You say I've got to go and help my chosen one? Are you sure, Carl?"

Carl's stomach grumbled.

"Well, will you be all right? I think I'll have that nice girl next door come and feed you every day. Yes. I'll go pack."

After packing a lot of things he didn't need and leaving most of the things he did require, he dipped over to the house next door and asked thirteen-year-old Mary to feed Carl every day while he was gone.

"When will you be back?" she asked.

"In a week or a few months or so," he replied, tipping his hat and setting off to find Shane Dane.
We've got deep-fried water bears and horse wigs!

If you're slapped in Guam, you're slapped in real life. --chibibo

Need someone to review your novel? Why don't you try checking here? Buddy up!

Last time I checked, love had no gender.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun May 09, 2010 7:30 pm
Bloo says...

Shane Dane- July 4th

"One moment!" I screamed at the guards. They had randomly appeared a few minute ago, and were demanding me to follow them. Now, not being one for dying, I decided it be best to listen to them. If worst came, I could always get out. "I just need to get one more book!"

"Mr. Dane, you already have a stack of twenty books in the car. Now let us be off," one of the guards told me. Just as I uncovered the book I was looking for, they pulled me off by the collar. Gah. Where was that transformation when I needed it?

"Can you please tell me where I am going?" I asked.

"You are going to see Layton. We must get there by tomorrow night, at the latest."

"Layton.... Why does a military commander need me? I know I am brilliant and all, but surely you have trained strategists to work," I said casually. They pushed me into a military style Jeep, with tanks in front and behind us. What were they doing?

A strange man sat next to me. He was very old, frightening figure. The weird thing was his smile, his plump face did not fit the rest of him. With his deathly black cloak, and time-old sort of grim reaperish feel. "Why hello Shane!" he giggled out. It was a mix of crazy, yet distinguished. This dude was crazy.

"So, can you tell me why I am here?" it was at this moment I recognized him. The only pictures I had seen of him were from his younger, way younger, days, but it was obviously him. Bertman the great wizard. The years were not kind.

"Did they not tell you?" Bertman asked.Dumb question. "I guess I do all the work! Why Shaney, old boy, you;re the chosen one!"

"The chosen one, but for what exactly?" I asked once more. He was a very vague man.

"For IT of course!" Again, very vague. I decided I would find out when I got to the fortress tomorrow, so I decided it would be a good time to kick back and read. I pulled a book from my trunk, resting under my feet, and began to read. Tuning out the mindless crazy gibberish from Berman. Idiot.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Mon May 10, 2010 12:43 am
Kale says...

Ken

Ken was lost. He didn't want to admit it, but he was completely clueless as to his current position. Who held job interviews in the middle of nowhere, anyway? The map and compass he'd been given were no help at all, and even if his pride had allowed him to stoop so low as to ask for directions, there was no one to ask directions from.

Ken had been wandering on the often-disused trails when he finally came across a clearing with a lake, a path leading directly to a plaque. Finally! He hoped the plaque held a map with a "You are Here" marked down so he could get his bearings. He hurried over to the stand, but was mildly disappointed - only mildly because the plaque promised that a wish made at the lake would come true. Interesting. He knew exactly what to wish for.

"Hello there." A distracted-looking bluish head stuck out of the water.

Ken just stared.

The bluish head looked a bit sheepish. "I don't suppose you were planning on making a wish? Very bad idea. The plaque is a fake. A crazy old wizard set it up as a way of getting rid of his imaginary rivals."

Ken raised an eyebrow and continued staring.

"No really. The other day, a guy wished to catch a fish. Well, he caught a fish, but then the fish got him."

Ken looked at the lake. It seemed too shallow to him to house a fish that large, but you never knew with magic. Still, the blue-skinned head seemed unusually intent on keeping him from making a wish...

"Be that as it may, I doubt much could go wrong if I wish I were back home in my apartment completely unharmed and with a permanent and satisfying job."

The smile on the face froze and began looking a bit strained. "Are you sure you want to wish that?"

"I wish I were back home in my apartment completely unharmed and with a permanent and satisfying job." The next thing Ken knew, he was back in his now-ransacked apartment, the head from the lake now attached to a body and standing next to him.

"I am Senra," the man said with a stiff bow, "and your wish is my command."
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

Random avatar

Reviews: 9
Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 pm
sunstarfrozenlife says...

[I'm going to have to quit this SB, guys. I don't want to be inactive and I have way to many. I'm sorry. My character got hit by a car or something. ^^]
When your life is based around the face of Sawyer from Lost you know you're officially obsessed.
--
Join Isha's SB, the Shadows!
And mine, Lament of Innocence!
And LDR's, Dark Fey!
And- ok, I'm going to shut up now.
:D

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm
kidashka says...

~Senra~

I glowered at the stupid human, before turning away briskly. "Well, you're home and safe, contract fulfilled, I'll be on my way now thankyouverymuch." I made to teleport away before he could ask the inevitable questions, but there was an oh-so-familiar tug.

Apparently, some part of the wish hadn't been completed. I quickly scanned my memory back to what he'd said... 'hime, unharmed, job.' Oh.

Well, really, 'and' clauses were sort of cheating. You could just go on forever and then claim it was only one wish. I pulled a sulky face, then sat down on the armchair to contemplate the situation. Unfortunately I couldn't just poof a job out of nowhere, so that meant I was actually going to have to do some work.

I frowned in annoyance. "How do you get a job? I mean, what's the process?"

The man looked taken aback. "Can't you just... magic it?"
Glaring, I shook my head. "Not that easy. We've only got a smigden of magic, like... teleporting and such. I'm more like an... accomplice. Helping hand of sorts. Bit of a waste of space really, so you might as well let me go, right?" I followed this with a hopeful grin.
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment when you will have a chance to show it. To do the right thing."
Jack: "I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Esmerelda-Esme:

I tapped my fingers against my leg as the wizard told us about what we needed to do with the chosen one. Venom flowed into my mouth. I squeezed my eyes shut tight and tried to cut of my sense of smell.
Live, Love, Laugh

I have my books and my poetry to protect me.
— Paul Simon