Go home.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:37 am
Snoink says...

Hey tonepoem! :)

Aha, a war poem! Always very dramatic.

Now... er... a couple of things! You decided to write about war, which is really dramatic and everything. War means a lot to different people, and there have been some people who have been absolutely devastated by war in their lives. So, it's a really touchy subject. Besides that, many different people have different things that happened to them during the war.

With that said, I think that your particular poem is very general to the point of not making sense. Is this only a metaphor, or if this talking about an actual war? Maybe you want to see both (which would be cool) but if you did, you have to be specific. People fight wars for a reason! The reason may be good or bad, but it's still a reason, and it's still important to state the motivations of the guys that are fighting, especially since you're in the battlefield over here. The guys have to know what they're fighting against.

For this reason, your poem doesn't really do justice to the guys in the actual wars. Yes, it's a stony line of battle. Yes, the cause of the war may be unknown. But that doesn't change the fact that they're killing people. When I was reading All Quiet on the Western Front (good book, by the way) they had their doubts as to what they were really fighting and joked about how the politicians should wrestle and kill each other. However, they knew who they were fighting... they were fighting Frenchmen the same age as them. So, in your poem the part where they don't seem to know who they are fighting seems a little strange to me. Why are they so oblivious?

You may be taking this as a metaphor for another issue besides war... but if you are, you should give hints as to what this issue is because that would lend another dimension to this poem and make it cool.

If this poem is about war though... I think you should be a whole lot more specific. Right now, it's too generic to be meaningful.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 100
Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:48 am
NaRachel says...

Oooooh, interesting... I like it! I know War is a pretty common theme but I still like it. I love its ambiguity; it kind of flashes in and out if that makes sense. Nothing really strikes me until the last part :
For a kind voice to say:
Go home.
which I think is brilliant! Its finality and simplicity really resonates, so well done on that part! :) My minds a bit confused about the rest of the poem, I think it verges on wishy-washy but yet this distant state of just taking in words is kind of lulling... take from that what you will. I think you did perfect with the length. Good job :) and keep writing! -Rachel
"You grow, you grow like tornado
You grow from the inside
Destroy everything through
Destroy from the inside
Erupt like volcano
You flow from the inside
You kill everything through
You kill from the inside"

There are those who say that life is like a book, with chapters for each event in your life and a limited number of pages on which you can spend your time. But I prefer to think that a book is like a life, particularly a good one, which is well to worth staying up all night to finish.
— Lemony Snicket