negatively criticising.
But the more I beat myself up,
with these cold,hard words,
control quickly flees from my grip.

My vision gets bleary
I'm constantly weary
I am going crazy
So out of control!
These words weigh me down - oh so heavy!

Why am I so foolish?
When will they love me?

Faster than I can throw myself the next punch,
I find that I have moved way off track.
My purpose - lost
My hope - all gone
Insanity - imposed

My heart beats but I am dead.
Me - my worst enemy - I dread.
Last edited by nyiiri on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love is patient and kind. It does not envy nor boast, it is not proud. It doesn't dishonor others, it is not self-seeking nor easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres. Love never fails.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:05 pm
Jalmoc says...

Wow! For being so short, that packed a lot of emotion and story into it!! I loved it! I don't exactly know how to review lyrics. Lol. So I'm just going to say that this was really good! I hope that you keep up the good work and post more on here!!

Well, keep on writing!!!

--Jalmoc
If you don't take a chance, you'll always live your life in regret, so let your heart show it's true colors and admit your feelings!

Tis not the blade that took your life, but the Assassin behind it.

When Reality has all but fallen away, recreate your own world

92 Reviews

Reviews: 92
Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:00 pm
anna91423 says...

I really like this, it's so powerful and so easy to relate to. I loved the casual rhymes and structure, it made it feel more natural and honest.

"My purpose - lost
My hope - all gone
Insanity - imposed

My heart beats but I am dead.
Me - my worst enemy - I dread."

These were my favourite lines because the parallelism of them really emphasizes the different emotions.

Loved it! :)
"Books are the ultimate dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they will always love you back." John Green

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." Stephen Chbosky

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:28 pm
creativityrules says...

Hi, Nyiiri! I'm Rose, and I'll be reviewing this piece today.

I like this poem. It's strong and it portrays what you're trying to say very clearly. However, there are some things about it that I don't like as much; I'm going to give you a few options as to how to improve them. Remember, this is just my opinion; if you don't agree with my suggestions, feel free to disregard them. At the end of the day, your opinion of your work is what matters.

Funny how when I try to get better,
I move ten steps back.
My own personal hater,
fighting an internal vendetta,
negatively criticising,
thinking it will get me back on track.
But the more I beat myself up
with these cold, hard words,
I lose more control.

The first thing I did when editing this stanza was to make sure that it was capitalized properly. The first word of each line doesn't need to be in caps; it only needs to be capitalized if it would be if what you were writing was written as a normal sentence, not in poetry.

If I were to change the actual wording of this stanza, I might consider deleting the sixth line entirely. Frankly, I don't feel like it contributes to the poem. Also, you used the words 'on track' again during the rest of the poem, and I felt like deleting it here would be appropriate. This brings me to my next area of criticism: the usage of words over and over throughout your poem.

In lyric poetry, it's acceptable to utilize repetition. However, the repetition must come off feeling purposeful, not like you couldn't think of a better word and so chose to reuse one that you'd already used. For instance, in the last three lines of the stanza I edited above, you used the word 'more' twice. I would consider deleting one of the times you used it and replacing it with another word. That way, your writing will be interesting and won't feel overdone or done already.

All in all, very nice piece. Always keep writing! I hope to see more from you in the future!

-Rose
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:21 am
nyiiri says...

Hi guys!
Thank you for reviewing my work. I edited it so I hope it's better.
Love is patient and kind. It does not envy nor boast, it is not proud. It doesn't dishonor others, it is not self-seeking nor easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. It does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres. Love never fails.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 pm
AliyahPillage says...

I like the idea of the poem but I don't really like how it didn't rhyme at first until the second stanza and then it didn't much after that I think it kind of sounds like a song more than a poem and that's how nicely it flows.

Funny how when I try to get better,
I move ten steps back.
My own personal hater,
fighting an internal vendetta,
negatively criticising,
thinking it will get me back on track.
But the more I beat myself up
with these cold, hard words,
I lose more control.

I found this stanza to be the best although you seem to have punctuation after every line, the isn't needed, there should only be a coma or a period at natural pauses. I suggest making it into one long paragraph and the splitting it up at natural pauses rather than trying to make it a poem in one blow.

Other than that good job and keep up the good work.
Wo Ai Ni (I Love You) Jessicarlie Love

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:14 pm
Snoink says...

Ack, we can be our worst enemies, can't we?

As far as this goes... I think it might be better if you added some external conflict to this poem! Right now, you have a lot of internal conflict. That is, it's all about what happens inside the narrator's head. Though the narrator alludes to outside forces, it is mostly a problem inside her head... and image that is further reinforced through the narrator wondering whether s/he is actually crazy. So, the conflict here is really internal.

But, I think it should be more external. Okay, so she's doubting her sanity and wondering if she is in fact crazy. And she makes mistakes. But really... how bad can it be? By showing us how she struggles with the challenges that she is presented with (in a poetic way, of course) and bringing us, the reader, a little more into what is going on outside the insanity, we might be more willing to agree with her. If we saw a glimpse about how she failed, we would understand why she is so upset.

I don't know... the poems I liked best were the ones that basically explained the thing that tormented them in a strange way. So, the torment gets emphasized. Right now, it's the post-torment stuff that is emphasized. But I think the torment being described would help add to the drama and really make this better.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

It doesn’t smell old, it just smells like a bad idea.
— James Hoffman