I stand there frozen,
As you reach towards me
Bringing me into your silent embrace
Our lips touch...

Funny how some dreams come true...
What matters is that they do
Funny how I feel for you,
Whenever I look into your eyes..

Any critiques would be really welcome. Thanks.
~Amaira

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Thu May 26, 2005 7:56 am
Firestarter says...

The first stanza started well, but you seemed to lose the rhyming scheme/flow and it just fell almost to bits after that. Not that what you wrote was not good, it's just lost in the constantly-switching of line-length and everything. Especially the second stanza - it's such a contrast to the first that it almost looks like it's out of a different poem.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Thu May 26, 2005 11:32 am
Chanson says...

i agree with the above, the first verse as quite alright but it seemed strangely disconnected to the second verse, as if you had suddenly decided to write a new poem.

it's a little cliché, i felt that i read this poem before, many times. it wasn't bad just not very interesting. more orignal imagery would really add to the poem, this seems like a an outline or something...i felt there should have been more and when i got to the end i was disappointed. i had a sort of "is this it?" feeling.

work on the imagery and trying to keep a nice flow to the poem, so it looks like it all fits and it think you'd really improve this piece.
"And Matt Muir. Matt Muir, he's the sweetest guy. Have you ever looked into his eyes? It's like the first time I heard the Beatles" Superbad

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:37 pm
AmairaRose says...

Thank you both. I will work on improving this poem more.
~Amaira

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:28 am
niteowl says...

I don't know if it's just me, but those dashes and ellipses really annoy me. Also, fourth stanza, third line, I believe you meant "your".

I agree with what the others said about the second stanza. It just doesn't seem to fit. When I read the poem but skipping the second stanza, the flow in that transition was just so much better.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:39 am
sabradan says...

I liked the first and last stanza, and the rhyme/meter was good. I don't really understand or like that you put "scream" in quotes, but to each their own, I say, I'm sure you had your reasons.

Um, I think thats about it, I guess...

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:17 am
Liz says...

Not bad. I think you need to work on the imagery, metaphors, etc, because that's what makes a poem stand out in the end. You had something good in the third stanza:
"Everything starts to turn so blue,
Like swimming- "
So try to expand it. I think you should take out the "so" though, it seems a little irrelevant and doesn't help the rhythm.
The theme...we've heard it all a thousand times, and that can be okay, but you didn't redeem yourself with the imagery etc. I mean, looking into someone's eyes and feeling like dreams can come true? That can be good, but I think you need to make it a little more original. What you have at the moment is fine, for a first draft. Keep improving and I'd like to see what you do with it.
purple sneakers

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.