"Je t'aime..."
I whispered
and we both
slid off
the roof
and into the
cold, black
sea.
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~ Anton Chekhov

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:59 am
NightWriter says...

You know Michaeld, I love the way you write. It's very different to most poetry. It's short, brisk, heartfelt and kind of quirky. I love the emotive words you use, the internal pictures you create.
I love how you use French words and just assume us to know what they mean - I'm serious here, I love that!
You write almost tenderly, which is sweet and makes your audience want to read more.

There's nothing I can pick on, save the fact that the entire thing is rather vague. Don't get me wrong, it's all part of the charm. There's just something mysterious about not having answers in a poem. Something cool about leaving it up for the imagination.

I love the subjects - fire, escape, love. It's all really beautiful. I don't know whether to be shocked or impressed that a boy of your age wrote it.

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Well done.

NightWriter x
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:03 am
michaeld says...

Thank you so much for this review! It definitely makes me feel better about my writing!
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~ Anton Chekhov

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:10 pm
SwallowedByInsanity says...

wow. This actually blew me away. It had a very interesting plot, one that I've never seen before really. The 'i don't regret it' part definitely gave it a twist, and I could practically see the poem in it's entirety in my head. The is beautiful really, this is beauty in it's most raw nature.
You lines were short yet captivating and coated with just the tiniest hints of imagery and description. I can't comprehend how you managed to do this, and the fact that you didn't have a rhyme scheme on top of that is just impeccable. I envy you're writing talents, keep writing!
Love is a poison, but it is also the antidote.

The insanity at my fingertips is not even slightly coherent.

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:12 pm
sarahjane97 says...

Hi Michael!
This is so simple, so beautiful, and so open ended. I love how anyone could read this and interpret it in their own way-- it makes it easier for each individaul to form a connection. Your descriptions are stunning as well. My favorite stanza is this one:
There we lay,
in our oak caskets
on the roof,
a musical saw in
my arms,
a cello
in yours.

Truthfully, I'm not really sure what this stanza means, but it struck something within me. This whole poem did. I think that's one of your greatest talents, connecting emotionally with the reader through words.
Keep up the good work! :)

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
— Oscar Wilde