102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:47 pm
michaeld says...

A painting has been made,
But this story has a twist.
You see, the brush is a blade,
and the canvas, her wrist.
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~ Anton Chekhov

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:54 pm
Dreamwalker says...

Its nice to see that you have a taste for irony. Some writers spend their entire lives trying to create irony and never achieve it. This is so short and so to the point that it seemed effortless. That's a fantastic thing, to seem effortless. After all, there is only so far one can fake it before the writing becomes more black and white than actual feeling and emotion.

Now, as it goes, I didn't take this as poetry. It had imagery in the sense that you did compare to very different images and it told a story so far beyond the four lines it was written in. You did well in that sense, and yet, when we look at this, do we see poetry?

I see a story. Flash fiction. The only reason this could be defined as poetry is because it has some form of poetic structure which is, quite honestly, unnecessary in the scheme of things. The effect was that this told some form of a story, and I think it would have been more effectual if it was.

In any case, it amused me, in a morbid way.

~Walker
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:11 pm
sarebear says...

Oooh....I love it. Simple, cute, perfect--and, of course, deliciously morbid. Actually, this isn't much of a review in that I just like this piece a lot. I like that it's short, you've done an excellent job with the rhyming. I don't agree with Walker about the poem vs. story thing. I like this just the way it is, and I think that it works wonderfully well as this tiny little rhyming morsel.

There are no issues as far as I can see with rhythm, rhyme, or punctuation. Oh, wait. One thing I don't like (because there has to be something for this to be a review, you see) is the title. I don't think it really encapsulates this poem, the quirkiness, or even really describes your theme. But of course, that's your choice as the author. Anyways, I like all the rest of it, so really nice work on this.

-sarebear
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a psychologist.

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:26 pm
Audy says...

Michaeld,

Haha. This made me laugh inappropriately. Kudos xD It's an enjoyable read - and I can see what Dreamwalker meant with the flash fiction resemblance. As it is, there's really not much to review, so it's flawless in that sense (except perhaps the title, so I second what Sarebear said) This is enjoyable. It's clever. But it's under dramatic poetry, so there's a key piece missing. If this was labeled under "other poetry" I can leave it be. But there's a set-up here about a painting related to cutting, and nothing more.

The twist is clever. Don't get me wrong. Part of its appeal is the straight forward nature and brevity of the piece, however I cannot say I experienced anything beyond that. I'd like to know who, I'd like to know how, I'd like to know why - if you can answer all of this, you would capture the essence of what dramatic poetry is meant to do.

Best of luck and keep writing!

~ As always, Audy

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:47 am
greg925 says...

I liked this. It was funny. Short and ironic. Very to the point, but yet it made me wanted to see more. You should do something like this again, with more detail of course.

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:14 am
sarahjane97 says...

Hi Michael! Sorry it took me so long to get around to reviewing your new(ish) stuff. Stupid finals. -_-'
Anyhow, here's what I think of the poem:
I like this a lot. Other reviewers said that they wished it was longer and more detailed, but I disagree. I think that the shortness leaves room for the imagination to wander and create a story of its own. I also don't see how the others felt like laughing after reading this poem. This is odd, coming from me, because I usually laugh at the strangest things. XD Not at this though; I really felt for the girl in this peice.
All in all, great job and keep up the good work! Now on to review your next poem! :)

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
— William Shakespeare