Before I Forget

5 posts
User avatar
Gender Female
Points 1357
Reviews 2
I need you to know,
when the sun's eye brazens the treetops
at the right angle,
or when the too-white moon gapes in mourning
at all beneath her that decays,
Everything--your pity, my dreams--
rushes back from the depths of me
into the air.
Last edited by GildedLily on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 189
Reviews 333
Hello,

Let me just get something out of my system. . . awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

This is an incredibly sweet poem, I liked it a lot.

the too-white moon


This is an excellent use of imagery so well done, but it feels really awkward, so I would change it personally.

The last two lines are perfect and sums the piece up perfectly.

Well done.

PM me for anything.

~Retro Disco666
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan




User avatar
Gender Male
Points 42428
Reviews 411
hello!

I liked the images of this poem, that definitely showed us where you're coming from, even if they are quite surreal and taking contrasts to the extreme - I like it. It avoids any terminal cliches too. The subject of the poem seemed strong, but not strong enough. Sure, you're putting across these surreal and dreamy images to make the feeling seem like a rarity and the thing/person you're aiming it at feel unique and fabulous, but the emotion isn't there. There's just the rare feeling put across. You need to firm it in, add in lines that contrast each other - say mentioning bad things but how you fall for things like that. I mean you can keep it all in the idea of implicit and metaphor use in language, but I feel it just needs a bit more umphh. You know? I'm sorry it's quite vague, but it's only a suggestion.

at and all beneath it that decays,

I think that simply makes it sound better.

Anyway, it was a good poem so keep writing!
Ben




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 3817
Reviews 74
Aw that's a sweet poem! I like how you did the line breaks, and your descriptions are really good, too.
I need you to know,
when the sun's eye brazens the treetops
at the right angle,

or when the too-white moon gapes
at all beneath it that decays,
Everything--your light, my dreams--
rushes back from the depths of me
into the air.

I think the beginning goes well with the title. Maybe you could just expand a little on the imagery here so the ending flows more smoothly. That's just what I think, though.
Great work!
Do we not all agree to call rapid thought and noble impulse by the name of inspiration?
- George Eliot


"It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart."




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 719
Reviews 562
Beautiful imagery and a very sweet piece altogether.. I love the emotion in this.. I always love sweet poems like that addressed to people. Excellent piece. c:

Coral



Way, way back in the 1988 Presidential election, then Vice President George H W Bush had a phrase he liked to use: "A Thousand Points of Light." It refers to the idea that a community is made up of people who contribute in a thousand, different small ways, but with each helping to illuminate their community. It's a phrase I think about a lot when it comes to YWS. Looking forward, the site will continue to change and grow, but it will always remain a community dedicated to promoting creative writing as a favorite pastime.
— Nate