At the Gates of Babylon

3 posts
User avatar
Gender Male
Points 2576
Reviews 90
At the Gates of Babylon

At the gates of Babylon, in days long done and gone,
In the land between the rivers, where the noble city quivers,
The skeleton comes a-riding, with me in close pursuit,
To charge the Gates and settle fates and pride and glory loot.

No gate is closed to Destiny; no kingdom is long sealed,
No wonder stands forever, however long it took to build.
And when the kings and nobles kneeled,
A people had been killed.

But at the Gates of Babylon,
Where hanging gardens break and fall,
Where fires blaze in tower and hall,
The riders travel slowly, but at times break to a charge,
There the hooves shall shatter gates, however strong or large.

At the Gates of Babylon, through which the ages rush,
That very rush has brought, today, the city to a hush.

O Tides of Time, you give but why take?
For pride, for envy, for glory’s sake?
Or is it to turn this mighty wheel that churns the globe around?
How bear you the sight of corpses piled in great and bloody mound?

O, how the mighty bend and fall!
And up to your Highness slowly crawl.
And Babylon’s children are today
Shrouded in shadow of pale, pale grey.

Give them back, O boundless tide,
Those innocents you swept aside.
Give them back, O Tides of Time,
I challenge you to speak their crime.

At Ishtar then was justice lost?
Why silent when I need you most?
Must you enshroud us one and all?
Is even He in your dark thrall?
Why else is He so silent now,
Unless your silence on His brow?

O, at the Gates of Babylon,
Where gates are thrust through oblivion.
And where the Gates enter other Gates,
They crumble under the will of Fates.

Return, return, mighty race of Gilgamesh.
Return, Hammurabi, to rule in flesh.
Or shall we too fall at Babylon,
The very Gates of Oblivion?

*I think this was written around 3-4 months ago. All feedback is welcomed*
Last edited by Palantalid on Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What syllable are you seeking,
Vocalissimus,
In the distances of sleep?
Speak it.
—Wallace Stevens, “To the Roaring Wind”




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 42011
Reviews 922
You're probably going to hear this a lot, but I really liked this. I'm not a poetry critic, so I can't really give you 'feedback.' but I can just say that I really liked this. The imagery was really vivid and just so gritty. Absolutely gorgeous.

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.




User avatar
Gender Female
Points 890
Reviews 11
I love the theme, however, since you put a sustained effort into maintaining a rhyme scheme, the lack /irregularity of the meter detracts noticeably from the work. There are some stanzas that are better in this respect than others, particularly toward the end-the beginning is the most jarring.

For instance, your

Give them back, O boundless tide,
Those innocents you have swept aside.
Give them back, O Tides of Time,
I challenge you to speak their crime.

could easily be changed to

Give them back, O boundless tide,
Those innocents you swept aside.
Give them back, O Tides of Time,
I challenge you to speak their crime.

with the removal of a single word. It is fine to alter the meter between stanzas, and within a stanza, as this one is 3,4; 4,4. The patterns and rhythms are what are structurally important.

Additionally, you started with internal alliteration at the beginning, then lost it, which is equally jarring. Keep to a pattern, and don't try to overdo rhyming just because your mind keeps coming up with them.

At the gates of Babylon, in days long done and gone,
In the land between the rivers, where the noble city quivers,
The skeleton comes a-riding, with me in close pursuit,
To charge the Gates and settle fates and pride and glory loot.

Despite all of that, I particularly like the imagery of a militaristic Time, conquering all. Good theme!

Inexorable waves
Of thundering Time
Turn unwritten pages
Without a single rhyme



The day, which was one of the first of spring, cheered even me by the loveliness of its sunshine and the balminess of the air. I felt emotions of gentleness and pleasure, that had long appeared dead, revive within me. Half surprised by the novelty of these sensations, I allowed myself to be borne away by them, and forgetting my solitude and deformity, dared to be happy.
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein