z

Young Writers Society

Peeta and Katniss - Forever Together

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:56 am
penguinduan1 says...

Hey guys!!! The little part below with all the... strange disconnected sentences, don't mind that. Read on! (Because there's more!!!)

Who am I?
My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am twenty years old. I was the victor of the 74th Hunger Games. I survived the 75th. I am alive. I should not be. I should be dead. It would've been better if I had died. No. That's not true. We're free now. Free from the Capitol's grasp. No more Hunger Games. No more fear. But still, the nightmares come. Some nights, I relive my opponents death. Some nights, I see Peeta's lifeless body sitting in my lap. Sometimes, I see Prim. I see her aflame. I see her small body, curled in pain. And I scream. I scream for death. I scream because it should've been me who died. But no. We are free.

Who is he?
His name is Peeta Mellark. He is twenty years old. He was the victor of the 74th Hunger Games. He loved me. I didn't care that he did. He survived the 75th. He was captured by the Capitol. He was tortured. He thought I was the enemy. He wanted to kill me. He tried to kill me. He was the Boy with the Bread. Who saved my life so many times, there was no way to repay him. He was always there for me. I was never alone. And I was glad. He recovered. He grips onto reality while the torturous thoughts rack his mind. He hangs on for me. And all I have done is ignore him. But no longer. We have both changed. Because now, I love him.

Who are we?
We are the murderers of the Capitol. We threw the country into chaos. Those little berries in our hand started the deaths. We are the reason. But no, I do not wish for his death like I wished mine. I once did, back in the Arena. But he deserves much more. He deserves more than me. He always has. But he disagrees. I am his life, he says. I am the reason he holds on. I am the reason. And I love him. He is the reason I hold on, I tell him. He is the reason I'm here. We are the reason.

I run to the bakery, toward the dim yellow lights. As always, Peeta is waiting at the door, ready to throw down his baker's apron to be with me. I slow down, but I still make him tilt backwards as I run to hug him.
"Hey there, Katniss. You seem happy." He says as he chuckles.
"More than usual."
"Much much much more that usual. It's scaring me." he jokes. I can't help but smile. But why would I help it?
"Oh, how funny Peeta. How funny." I roll my eyes and before I know it, he's dragging me off toward the Meadow. We walk in silence, occasionally waving at passerby's, but they seem insignificant right now, here with him. I close my eyes, letting him lead me.

We reach the fence before I know it. It has virtually been untouched since the rebellion. Electricity no longer runs through it and it looks like a heap of metal wire rather than any kind of defense. They built a gate, though, and I'm thankful. I've crawled under that filthy fence enough to last me a lifetime. He pushes it open and I jump a bit when it screeches. I let him lead me again, not daring to open my eyes. We are in the worst part now, for it must get worse before it can get better. The cemetery lays to my left and I veer away. Prim lies there. I imagine her lifeless body, which almost reduces me to tears. It should have been me. She was so innocent, so pure. It always should've been me. But I cannot afford to think like that anymore. Peeta squeezes my hand and I know that we have passed it. I open my eyes to find a checkered picnic blanket underneath an oak tree. It's perfect. The dapples of sunlight on the forest floor and the rippling grass. The clear blue sky still can't compare to Peeta's eyes though. His blue, clear eyes.

I am about to sit down when Peeta grabs my wrist. His grasp is almost painful but I ignore it, focusing on his eyes. He has an intense expression and I'm afraid that he's hallucinating again. I pull away, afraid for my life. His lips curve into a half-smile, almost nervously. I stop my struggle, relaxed now. He chuckles lightly and shakes his head; he was okay. I whip my head around to see a mockingjay perched on the oak. It whistles a familiar tune. A familiar four-note tune. Rue. In shock, I turn my head. There he is, down on one knee. Down on one knee! He's pulling out something small. A ring. As I look closer, I see it is a pearl. The pearl he gave me in the Quarter Quell glistens in the sunlight and all the memories engulf me. All of them come back to me; Finnick, Beetee, Johanna, Wiress. I see them all for one second, but then my vision shifts to Peeta. He's still on his knee, opening his mouth as if in slow-motion.
"Katniss, will you marry me?"
"Peeta..." I start. I see his face fall and his head drop, "Yes."
"Yes?"
"Always, yes. Always." I say as I throw myself into his arms, "Always."

"Forever."

A ruler leads by example, not force.
— Sun Tzu