z

Young Writers Society

The Inheritance Cycle: After a thousand years.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:07 pm
PurpleShoes1D says...

Spoiler! :
Hello! I'm new here and this is my first ever short story. I'm not a very good writer and I'm all up for criticism! :)

Spoiler! :
This is an interpretation I wrote for my English class. It's based on the poem, Stopping By The Woods On A Snowy Evening :
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

The Inheritance Cycle: After a thousand years.

He stared out into the sky. He could see the lights of Alagaesia. It had changed so much. He didn’t know who the ruler was but he was sure no-one could see them. Looking down, he saw him, his own father, still there in his diamond tomb. “What are we doing here master? Why did you bring us here?” the young rider asked with curiosity. But Eragon was in his own world and voices had become numb. The only sound was the gushing wind and the heavy breadths of both their dragons. It was so cold that if his tears were frozen, he wouldn’t be surprised. He could feel Saphira’s comforting presence. He wanted to be with him, go back to the way it was a hundred years ago. Brom finally seemed at peace, protected by the diamonds on his tomb but secrets still lured deep inside him. But Eragon knew he couldn’t stay, not now. He had promises to keep and a long way to go before he could return. Flashes of memories went through his mind, all those good times. “If I could only have that life for one more day” he whispered to himself and turned around and left.

Spoiler! :
PS: For this story,I got inspiration from the song Moments!
Hope you liked it! :D

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:31 pm
TwistedMuffins says...

Ash! You posted <3 <3

Anyways, some nitpicks:-

He didn’t know who the ruler was but he was sure no-one could see them.

Somethings just off with this sentence. Eragon doesn't know who the new ruler is, fine, what does it matter of who could see him and who couldn't.
I'm pretty sure this sentence is just me, but then yeah. How about something like: He didn’t know who the ruler, or how strong he was, but he was sure no-one could see them his wards would protect him from any on-lookers.

“What are we doing here master? Why did you bring us here?”

A comma between 'here' and 'master'.

It was so cold that if his tears were frozen, he wouldn’t be surprised.

Re-frame the sentence. Something like:- It was so cold, he wouldn't be surprised if his tears froze.

It was so cold that if his tears were frozen, he wouldn’t be surprised. He could feel Saphira’s comforting presence. He wanted to be with him, go back to the way it was a hundred years ago.

Now, here you change the topic from Brom to Saphira, so obviously when you look at the next sentence, you think its about Saphira. So, it took me a moment to register that when you said, "He wanted to be with him.", you meant Brom. Change both the pronouns. Change the sentence to: Eragon wanted to be with Brom again. Go back to the way things were a thousand years ago.

Also, I find this rather hilarious:-
go back to the way it was a hundred years ago.

The title says "After a thousand years"

So yeah, other than all that, it was really good. The grammar was good, and the only thing you need to work on is sentence structure. Well done!

Keep writing~
Sox <3
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:37 pm
View Likes
PurpleShoes1D says...

Thanks Sox! About what you said at the last, you know I have some blonde moments! :wink:

A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.
— Markus Zusak, The Book Thief