z

Young Writers Society

The Most Dangerous Game - Court Case Extension

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:41 pm
ladymarmalade says...

The courtroom was covered in a blanket of tension. The defense lawyer quickly introduced himself to everyone and named his project Rainsford. Rainsford sat still, emotionless, watching the judge with an apprehensive gaze. He didn't even flinch when his name was addressed. The jury stared at him as the judge reported gruesome details of General Zaroff's massacre. "Well the attorney began, "My client Sanger Rainsford, was remotely trapped, tortured, and isolated upon his accounts.' 'Yes!' cried the offensive lawyer. "On his account, were there any witnesses at the time the crime took effect? It appears not to be so."

Rainsford tensed, placing his shaking hand on the table. "That was indeed reported. However, there were several individuals trapped in a cellar, which had been tortured and mutilated to an extent I have found." Rainsford's lawyer retorted and his client began to breathe again. "So as you can see we do indeed have witnesses." Rainsford in the situation literally had no choice but to take care of the General. After all, he may have gone on with his destruction.

The opposing lawyer grunted in irritation. Any man who murders another human being is automatically guilty. He believed this strongly and was sick with the fact hat this man might fly off without consequence. He would fight for theis man's conviction. the lawyer sat and skimmed over the notes of the incident. A man called Ivan was brutally stabbed. Slaves theat would have been trained to be killed or left to horrendous torture. Mutilation of a man, fed to the dogs.

However, the offensive lawyer then thought, what if the General had been left to live? Would Rainsford still be here left to tell the tale? It was unlikely. He pondered over this for a moment. No, he decided. Murder was completely wrong and inhumane. Although inhuman might almost be an irrevalent term. Since it seems to happen exceedinly often, murder might almost be a human thing to do. A horrid thought, but true to an extent. So was Rainsford really a monster? He suddenly wasn't so sure, for all the wrong reasons.

Rainsford stood up and stated his proclamation. "I didn't commit this crime out of spite or vengenanace. I was trapped with in the General's psychotic mind. He forced me to play his game, which was to hunt me down and kill me. I do not regret solving his riddles, and cleaning up after his filthy acts. Also, I may inquire, that Shiptrap Island is not in legal boundaries. So this may all be an complete and utter waste of your time and money. You consider the options, my good people. Now do what you will, I have a good lawyer present."

The judge remained expressionless and finally thrust his gavel to call attention to the podium. "It seems clear, with the evidence and witnesses present, that this was purely self-defense and he was of sound mind. I presume Mr. Sanger Rainsford innocent and relased of charges." There was great scuffling as everyone bustled out of the courtroom for lunch. Rainsford shook hands with his lawyer, as he left to survey the tuna surprise the cafeteria was serving. Rainsford soon discovered he was now left with the opposing lawyer. He met his stern gaze and nodded stiffly. The lawyer left he room without another word.

Leaving Rainsford with the lights off.

Spoiler! :
This is a sequel to The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell. It was a essay project that I turned into my English class and recieved an A on. Review and enjoy! :)

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:21 pm
JudyG710 says...

Overall, I kind of liked this piece. It was a good extension to an incredible story. It was pretty descriptive, though I found quite the number of grammar errors, as I tend to do. I do have another problem with this though. You didn't really give the opposing lawyer much of a fighting chance. Perhaps it would have been better had you given Rainsford and his lawyer a hard time trying to win the case. Or perhaps you could have started back when Rainsford kills Zaroff, then move to the courtroom scene. Either way, I felt it was a little too short, too quick a victory. Other than this, and the grammar errors I found, this was still an entertaining read. Keep writing, and may the Force be with you.
"Always believe in yourself. Do this, and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear." - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen
JudyG <3

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:06 pm
Ad1la3tt3n says...

Thi story is a very well thought out and emotional. The amount tention could be felt in the words alone. The characters were represented well in you writing. Good job!
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all."
--- Hypatia of Alexandria
"It would be better not to know so many things than to know so many things that are not so"
---Josh Billings

The world is your oyster. Well, it’s my oyster, but you can have some of it.
— Feltrix