z

Young Writers Society

Story 6 (Part 1)

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:30 am
JudyG710 says...

Judy Gunyar fingered the little medallion that hung from a chain around her neck. The small token that depicted the symbol of the Jedi Order on one side, and a lightsaber and the Jedi Temple on the other. It was a reminder of her passed friend, Sifo-Dyas, and that she had finally become a Jedi Knight.
The recently realized Human Knight had long brown hair that went more than halfway down her back. Deep, chocolate eyes had a thoughtful gleam and a caring warmth to them. At the time, her lips formed a neutral, calm line.
She sat in her bedchamber in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, meditating. Yet every minute or so, her hand would go up to her neck and just touch the Jedi Credit. Her mouth twisted into a sad smile.
When she was ten years old, she, her father, and protocol droid went to Tatooine on Christmas Eve. There, she was captured and enslaved by Gardulla the Hutt. Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, her family, and a new friend, Ahlya Soh, helped free her. Before they left Tatooine, Master Dyas gave the youngling his Credit and told her only to wear it when she became a Jedi Knight.
The way he said, ‘when you become a Jedi Knight,’ made her feel that he somehow knew that one day she would become what she had always dreamed of becoming. Now that he was dead, and she was at last a Jedi, she couldn’t stop thinking about him. Judy only stopped when there was a knock on her door.
“Come in,” she allowed. Master Luminara Unduli opened the door and stepped into the room. Luminara Unduli was a Mirialan Jedi Master. Her lightsaber skills were focused, precise, and moved with the flow of a calm, waving ocean. The Knight had fought alongside her and her apprentice, Mirialan Padawan, Barriss Offee, on many different missions. They had become very close.
“Hello Judy,” she greeted. Her friend nodded, “Hello Master Unduli. What brings you here?”
“This came for you.” She held out a package that was addressed to her. She took it and thanked the Jedi Master. Before she departed, Luminara added, “And Judy, Master Windu would like to talk to you in the hangar.”
“Now?”
“As soon as possible.”
“All right. Thanks again,” she praised.
“You’re welcome. May the Force be with you,” she bade.
“May the Force be with you too.” They bowed respectively, then Master Unduli left her friend to her business. She sat back down on the floor and opened her package. She already knew it was from her father, Neimoidian Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray. Gunray had adopted the girl when she was just eight years old. He had loved her, protected her, and encouraged her to become the Jedi she wanted to be. He was a good man, even if most of the galaxy didn’t think so.
When she contacted him to tell him of her Knighting, he revealed that he had a present for her coming her way soon. A ‘congratulations on becoming an official Jedi’ present he called it. He did like to make up for the fact that they couldn’t see each other as often as they’d like with a present every now and then. He’d always make up some convenient reason for it. But she knew the real reason.
She looked at the contents of the box and smiled. “This is definitely from Dad,” she thought. “It really was a nice thought.” Remembering that her former Master wanted to see her, she quickly got herself ready and left for the Temple’s hangar.
Master Mace Windu stood just outside the Jedi Temple’s hangar, waiting patiently for his old apprentice. Windu was Human like his Padawan, but he was a Korun, where as Judy didn’t know what she was. He was a rather stern Jedi and a member of the Jedi High Council. Mace was Master of the Order in fact. He smiled when he saw her coming down the hall.
“Hello Master,” Judy addressed. He returned, “Hello Jedi Knight. Wow. A beautiful outfit, my former Padawan. What would the occasion be?” He gestured to the sleeveless blue dress she was currently wearing.
“Dad gave it to me,” she explained.
“Ah, that explains it. How is he, by the way?” her Master asked.
“He’s fine. Except for the whole war thing going on.”
“Everyone has a problem with the war. But, that’s kind of what I wanted to talk to you about. Since you are now a Jedi Knight, the Republic is in need of some more generals to lead the clones into battle. I hate to ask this of you so soon, but, would you consider becoming a general for some of the troops?”
“Wow. First a Jedi Knight, now a Jedi general? If I get that kind of promotion in a few days, what kind would I get in a few weeks?” Master Windu laughed, “Seriously. Would you at least consider it?” Judy answered, “It would be fine with me, Master. Anything for the Republic.”
“Wonderful. I was hoping you’d respond quickly, because I already told the troops about you, and they’re waiting to meet you. They’re waiting by the cruiser, DEVOTION. Would you mind taking the FLIGHT to the landing strip?”
“Of course. Shall we, Master?”
“(chuckle) We shall.” They went inside the hangar, boarded the Knight’s starship, and headed off to one of Coruscant’s landing strips.
When in the air, Judy asked, “Did you know that I would accept the general position? Is that why you told the troops about me?” Windu shrugged, “I assumed you would accept it sooner or later. Honestly, when I heard about some of these troopers, I immediately pictured you as their general. I don’t truthfully know why, but, I figure this will be a perfect match.”
“Well, I guess we’ll find out in a few minutes. … What did you say about me?”
“The usual stuff. How you came to the Temple at fourteen. How you showed some incredible feats with the Force when you’ve had no proper training. A couple other things.”
She looked away before adding, “Did you tell them about Dad?” Windu glanced over at Judy, the serious glare returning to his face. “No, I didn’t. I figured that if you wanted them to know, you would tell them yourself.” She praised, “Thank you.” He returned, “You’re welcome.”
No one other than Master Windu, a couple family friends, and one enemy, knew that the Viceroy was the Knight’s father. The both of them decided that it would be easier on everyone if their relationship was kept quiet.
“Who knows what awful things could happen if the wrong person found out?” she worried. She landed the MIDNIGHT FLIGHT inside the Republic cruiser’s hangar and put down the boarding ramp. Before they exited, she questioned, “How many troops am I meeting?”
“Right now, three. And I myself can’t wait to see what their reaction is to your dress,” he grinned.
“Have you never seen me in a dress Master? Cause you’re really taking an interest in this one.” He laughed, “I’m just saying, I think it would be hilarious to see their reaction.” She shook her head and followed him out to the hangar. Mace walked her over to three troopers, who stood waiting for their arrival.
Last edited by JudyG710 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Always believe in yourself. Do this, and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear." - Baron Humbert von Gikkingen
JudyG <3

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:48 pm
Adriana says...

I so love this!!
I'm not that much into Jedi stories, but yours is so perfect!
I loved the way you described Judy, her thoughts about her father...
judyg3710 wrote:The way he said, ‘when you become a Jedi Knight,’ made her feel that he somehow knew that she would one day become a Jedi. Now that he was dead, and she was at last a Jedi, she couldn’t stop thinking about him. Judy only stopped when there was a knock on her door.

I think you should think about rewriting this. There's too many "Jedi" written here.
Suggestion:
" (...) When you become a Jedi Knight, made her feel that somehow he knew that one day it was going to happen. Now that he was dead, and she was finally a Jedi, she couldn't stop thinking about him. Not until there was a knock on her door"
Something like that...
Your story is full of details and I simply love that. It is dificult to understand for someone not familiarized with the terms, like me, but once we get it we become really curious.
Congratulations for your work!
Sorry if anything I said sounded offensive of if it didn't help like it was supposed too.
Let us hear from you again soon!!
Keep writing!
It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose
it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been
missing until it arrives.

"This is calm, and it's doctor!" (My DR. Reid -- Best line ever)

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 pm
Xreigon says...

I think that this was pretty good. I didn't catch any little grammer or punctuation mistakes (a first for me), but I do think that maybe Mace Windu's character is just a little too lenient. He seems like one of the more reflective, thoughtful Jedi Masters. He definitely does not seem like the type to comment and joke about someones dress. I think that you maybe were trying to get us to relate to him, but I still think that you could do without this. Other that that, I really enjoyed reading that. I is obvious that you know a lot more about Star Wars that I do, so good job expressing it.

Keep Writing,
-Xreigon
“If you don't think there is magic in writing, you probably won't write anything magical.”
- Terry Brooks

Reviews: 4
Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:13 am
Kaiex says...

Alrighty, first things first let's scan for any errors. Get the nasty work out of the way. Today I shall be correcting with this purple colour.

Deep, chocolate eyes that had a thoughtful gleam and a caring warmth to them.
A simple word missing that makes the sentence flow better.

The way he said, ‘when you become a Jedi Knight,’ made her feel that he somehow knew that she would one day become a Jedi. Now that he was dead, and she was at last a Jedi, she couldn’t stop thinking about him.
There's another comment posted that says they think this part should be rewritten and I have to say I totally agree. It does seem the word Jedi has been repeated a little too much. The way I would suggest changing this would simply be this..
The way he said, ‘when you become a Jedi Knight,’ made her feel that he somehow knew that she would one day that would be her fate. Now that he was dead, and she was at last a Jedi, she couldn’t stop thinking about him.

“(chuckle) We shall.”
I'm not fond of reading an action in brackets it reminds me of roleplay. Perhaps try writing this as a sentence beforehand. For example: He chuckled as he spoke "We shall."

Overall I like the start to the story. There's not too many characters to confuse people and there's a nice little description of your main character. It's has all the basics needed to introduce a good story. The only other thing I could suggest however is to try and incorporate a few more skills such as metaphors, similies, personification etc etc. They'll help to engage your readers.

I'm looking forward to reading more so keep up the good work :)

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:44 am
Vettan says...

Hello. I will try to review the second part soon. I thought it was good, though, I think there are a couple of aspects of the story that could be improved. For the first paragraph it seemed like you used too much "and" which got a little repetitive to me. For some reason I cannot imagine Jedi Knights with long hair, but probably it's just me. I keep thinking that they will end up trapped somewhere or will be cut off by a light saber. The first part of this Part I lacked a little emotion, the mood and atmosphere. For example when I read the paragraph about her being enslaved I didn't seem to care as much as I should be. It felt a little emotionally blunt, and seeing how Judy is a protagonist and it is a central piece of her past, it should have been very emotionally charged. The other aspect that I thought could use some work is the dialogue. The problem is I am not sure as to the age of characters but for the most part their dialogue seem to create the illusion that they are younger than what they are supposed to be; at least that is what it feels like to me.
Hopefully my little review wasn't intimidating. You have done a good job. The story was good and I am eager to read Part II.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:21 pm
murtuza says...

Judy!

I think this is a great start to a geat series and I could instantly recognize the star-wars themed atmosphere that surrounds the entire storyline. I think the previous reviewers have covered up the points for improvement and so I won't need to tell you any of my nitpicks.

I like the imagery and descriptions and the way you've laid out the characters' personalities which makes it easier to distinguish between them. A great and enjoyable read! Nice work, Judy! :D

Murtuza
:)
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:10 pm
TinyDancer says...

Hey there, just here to return the favor for your review on my piece, Somewhere Brighter.
This is a bit out of my area of expertise, but I will try to give a coherent and helpful review! I liked it a lot, but was a bit confused because I don't know a whole lot about Star Wars and I've never even seen the movies (I know, I know! Don't hurt me!) So there were parts that made no sense to me personally, but I have no doubt that they would to other people. I didn't really see any grammar mistakes, so good job there. I love how you defined each character. Sometimes, writers think that because they have a clear picture of their characters, that everyone else will too, even if they don't describe them very well. You are clearly not one of these writers! That's what I liked most about this piece--reading about the characters. You have a good flow, but I think you should read this out loud, in edit mode, to catch the words that may be repetitive. Other than that, great piece! I kind of want to go find my little brother's toy lightsaber and be a Jedi now! hehe ;)
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:37 am
Searria H. says...

Hello, Judy! Here as requested. :D

I think you have a good start here, and you obviously know what you're talking about. ;) As I'm not quite as well-versed in Star Wars as you, I'm going to approach this as a regular piece of prose. :)

Nitpicks:

The small token that depicted the symbol of the Jedi Order on one side, no comma here and a lightsaber and the Jedi Temple on the other.

This sentence is a fragment. All you have to do is take out the word "that," and it's a complete sentence. :)
Now that he was dead, and she was at last a Jedi, she couldn’t stop thinking about him.

Whoa. That was a little to blunt and jolting for me. She obviously cared about this friend, but his death is so matter-of-factly stated. Don't go overboard into melodrama, but you might try putting a little more emotion/emphasis on this.
“Come in,” she allowed.

Hm...I have never seen that dialogue tag before. It's really interesting. I like it! :D
Her friend nodded, “Hello Master Unduli. What brings you here?”

This is a comma splice. Because "nodded," isn't something that makes any sound, it's not really a dialogue tag. Just change the comma to a period.
“All right. Thanks again,” she praised.

This dialogue tag pops up again later in the piece, and because it's so unique, it's distracting. It feels a little awkward here too. "Praise" doesn't really fit with an expression of gratitude, in my opinion. :)
He was a good man, even if most of the galaxy didn’t think so.

Not really sure why, but this sentence made me smile.
He was a rather stern Jedi and a member of the Jedi High Council.

Even if I knew nothing about Master Windu (who is one of my favourite characters, by the way), this sentence contradicts every piece of his dialogue that follows. You say he's a stern man, but then the dialogue is very lighthearted, so it confuses the reader.
“(chuckle) We shall.”

I agree that the action in parentheses is a bit strange.
“Wow. First a Jedi Knight, now a Jedi general? If I get that kind of promotion in a few days, what kind would I get in a few weeks?” Master Windu laughed, “Seriously. Would you at least consider it?” Judy answered, “It would be fine with me, Master. Anything for the Republic.”
“Wonderful. I was hoping you’d respond quickly, because I already told the troops about you, and they’re waiting to meet you. They’re waiting by the cruiser, DEVOTION. Would you mind taking the FLIGHT to the landing strip?”

This paragraph really confused me as to who was talking, especially because you like to have dialogue tags before the dialogue rather than the usual after. That's perfectly fine, but make sure every new speaker gets his/her own line so we don't get jumbled up with who's speaking.

General Comments:
:arrow: The first thing I notice is how much information you pack into your work. At first I thought "Well, I guess you need that for people who've never seen Star Wars." However, more than likely, people who read a fan-fiction about something have some knowledge of the topic. Putting all of the background information in slows down your writing and makes it a little info-dumpy. I would rather get little hints and clues as to the character's relationships and pasts to keep me interested than suddenly getting everything I need to know about them tossed on my lap. Keep an air of mystery in it. :D
:arrow: The second thing that sort of bothered me was that every time a character came in, the following few sentences were used to describe him/her both physically and personality-wise. It's sort of the same mystery thing I mentioned above. For example: with Windu, instead of saying:
Windu was Human like his Padawan, but he was a Korun, where as Judy didn’t know what she was. He was a rather stern Jedi and a member of the Jedi High Council. Mace was Master of the Order in fact.
, maybe sneak that information in somewhere else. Instead of telling us that he's stern, show us through his actions and words. I know this isn't in your story, but if he were wearing a light brown cloak, you could either say, "The man wore a light brown cloak." or "His light brown cloak rippled behind him as he strode towards the hangar." The second is more interesting for the reader.

That's all I have for main comments. I like the story so far, and I'll try to get to the other parts as soon as I can. If you have any questions or comments on the review, please know that I'm always open for you to PM me. I'll be happy to discuss anything with you. :) Happy writing!
-Sea-
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:05 am
Payne says...

(I'm sorry it took me a while to get to this...had some difficulty finding it last night, then didn't get a chance to even start on it. Blegh. Anyway, on to the review...)

As some of the previous posters have mentioned, Mace Windu's character seems...off. I definitely can't see him using such modern terms as 'wow' or even 'hilarious'. His dialogue is also a little too easy. I've only seen the movies, but he has always struck me as the type who keeps things succinct, and doesn't chit-chat unnecessarily.

I'm having sort of a hard time connecting with your protagonist...at first, she seemed rather stoic and quiet, but by the end she was joking around and being quite talkative. I understand if she is meant to have a multi-faceted personality (I generally like those types, anyway), but it's a little confusing how quickly and drastically she changes.

Also, don't be afraid to spice up your prose! It helps the reader get comfortable with the story, and sink into it. Right now, it reads a little too formally, especially in the beginning. I understand if you meant to create a formal tone, but this feels like too much. Consider throwing in a few metaphors or similes, as Kaiex suggested.

Okay, now for the good part.

You've brought us right into the world of Star Wars. There actually wasn't a dump of over-complicated details, and someone who didn't know anything about the series would probably still be able to enjoy the story.

You do have an interesting choice in words, particularly dialogue tags. I like your style. And I didn't really see any spelling or punctuation errors, which is always a good sign. I love a writer who takes the time to proofread their work.

Also, you ended with the perfect hook, at least for someone like me; I cannot resist a good old 'meet the team' situation. I commend you, because now I have to read the next chapter just to ease my curiosity...

I apologize if this review seemed harsh; the story truly was an enjoying read, and it still has so much potential for improvement. Keep up the good work!

I shall get to Part 2 soon. If you have any questions or comments regarding this review, feel free to PM me.

Happy writing!
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

Between living and dreaming there is a third thing. Guess it.
— Antonio Machado