z

Young Writers Society

A walk with Jesus

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:18 pm
Desire says...

As I lay in the thick grass, I couldn’t help but close my eyes. The pain was excruciating and as the dark red blood poured out from the bullet wound, it caused the energy within me to diminish. Eventually it felt as though every ounce of strength that I had left in me was one blood drop away from being obsolete. I had heard of the white light but I had never quite imagined it to be as magnificent and mesmerizing as the image before me. I was curious to see what lay beyond that point, to see if heaven was all that I had envisioned it to be.

I felt a warm hand grasping mine. A beautiful man with gentle eyes and a kind smile helped me to my feet. There was not a single doubt in my mind. I knew that this was Jesus. He looked at me smiling and with a loving voice asked, “Would you care to come for a walk with me?” Each time I looked at Him, I was filled with an indescribable peace, but His offer stilled left me baffled. How could I, the person who despite her best efforts to serve God had stumbled in her faith for what felt like far too many times go for a walk with the son of God? As I looked into His eyes calm came over me and with that, I replied, “I’d love to.”

The path we took was filled with a beauty that I had not once in my life even imagined. The flowers that grew along the foot path each held the weight of a thousand different colours. The branches above us were filled with the juiciest fruit. I was in paradise. As I looked at Jesus, I could sense His humility. He did not say much but it was his nature, the way he was that portrayed many messages. “Lord I’m sorry for not being more like you, for being selfish and only serving you to the point where I feel it is enough. I feel as though I have failed you and I just wish I could have done more for you after all that you have done for me.”, I said as I fell to my knees, sobbing excessively. He picked me up from the dirt and we began the most beautiful conversation. “Do not forget the love that God has for you. In Lamentations three from verse twenty-two it speaks about how His love never ends and how his mercy never ceases but rather begins afresh with each new morning.”

We began to speak about God’s love and for the first time I was able to understand the depth of it. We spoke about how God had felt before sending Jesus to the earth. Jesus told me how God’s people had hurt Him through their sin and that even though He loved His son; His love for His people was strong, despite what they had done. We began speaking about His time on earth. How he managed to withstand the evil that had tempted him just as often as it had been tempting me during the course of my life. Throughout our conversations I couldn’t help but ask just about a million questions. I felt like a vessel that was about to burst with curiosity. Each answer that Jesus gave was given with such wisdom; they were simple, yet so profound. There was one question though, a question that I wanted an answer to most of all and still needed to ask but felt that it needed to be asked at the right moment.

A light breeze filled the air as we continued walking along the footpath. The leaves above us echoed the gentleness of the wind as the moved with its delicate force. The most beautiful aroma of wild flowers filled my lungs with each breathe that I took. I had to stop. I needed to take the time to appreciate all that surrounded me. As I turned in every direction to admire my surroundings my eyes caught sight of a little wooden gate. It was old, covered in moss and seemed as though it had been up for many years. A plaque appeared in its centre and although it wasn’t clear at first, it the writing was made visible after I had put in a bit of effort and wiped away some of the grime. It read: “John 14:37 - ‘Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.’ “
Jesus came to me and held my hand. “It is time for you to go back home now.” I knew that I needed to ask my question then and there before it would be too late. “Jesus, would you please answer just one more question for me?” He looked at me with those same gentle eyes that seemed to be smiling and replied, “Of course.” “How were you able to endure such horrific pain and suffering for a generation of sinners that do not deserve a sacrifice of that magnitude”. His eyes met mine. He smiled, and then He gently wrapped His arms around me and calmly said “Ephesians 3 verse 18-19”

I woke up to my mother holding me tightly, delighted that I was waking up. Her eyes were moist and her smile was wider than ever before, but what stood out the most to me was the small golden cross that hung from her chain. Had I been dreaming? I felt like a little child again who had dreamt that my dad finally bought me that pony, only to wake up without one. I was happy to be alive, that was not to be doubted, but I was disappointed and wanted to go back to sleep so that I could finish my dream; I still needed the completed answer to my question. As I turned to my side trying to get more comfortable my eyes fell upon the poster that was taped to the wall in front of me. “‘And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God...’ – Ephesians 3 verse 18-19”
"Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment... but trust in God , and you are never to be confounded in time or eternity." - Anonymous

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:09 pm
View Likes
shiney1 says...

Wow....

That was simply AMAZING!
The imagery was phenomenal, and the whole story flowed pretty well. I love the message, and I would love to be in the narrator's shoes. If I met Jesus, I would have so many questions to ask Him!
The punctuation was good as well, and the diction was very nice.
Some people may not like the story for it's subject, but there is no denying that this piece is great in it's structure and it has great voice.

Keep writing!

God Bless.
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:02 pm
0o0Redrum0o0 says...

Beautiful story. Absolutely amazing. The only thing I have to point out is whenever a new person speaks, you need to start a new paragraph. Other than that, I found nothing wrong. One question though. Was the girl shot in her dream, or was she really shot and then sent into a coma? I'm not quite sure, unless you explained that in full and I just missed it.
When I give up, I'm not showing weakness.
Sometimes, I'm just showing enough strength to move on.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:15 pm
Desire says...

She was really shot and then then Jesus took a walk with her and that's why she was "out of it"... don't really want to call it a coma because she wasn't dreaming, she was really taking a walk with Jesus (I showed in the last paragraph where the verse she reads is the verse Jesus gave her while they were walking) :) Thank you for your review! xxx
"Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment... but trust in God , and you are never to be confounded in time or eternity." - Anonymous

Reviews: 2
Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:22 pm
Tictac268 says...

Wow. First thing I would like to say is you caught my attention from the very beginning. I immediately wanted to read on to find out what heaven was like/where he was going. The entire story was very descriptive. This story would turn most people towards Jesus and God. I simply loved, “The leaves above us echoed the gentleness of the wind as the moved with its delicate force.” Although I think you meant to say they moved not the moved. I also found the end very moving. Keep on writing!
Impossible is just an opinion.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:40 pm
Ranger51 says...

This is amazing! I loved how the first sentence was so peaceful and relaxing, and then you realize that the character has been shot. However, I have one question and one piece of criticism:

Question: Why was the character shot? Was she a victim of a shootout or terrorism, or in some sort of fight, or maybe in the military? It's okay that I don't get much background or personality detail with the character - this isn't that kind of story - but it leaves me clueless as to how she ended up being shot, and also how she ended up in the hospital.

Criticism:
"In Lamentations three from verse twenty-two, it speaks about how His love never ends and how his mercy never ceases but rather begins afresh with each new morning.”

This line was the only one that really, really bothered me. They way it's stated, it sounds kind of nerdy and overfactual in a very tender and emotional scene. "Lamentations three from verse twenty-two" is an awful lot of words to read, where you could say "Lamentations 3:22" instead. "It speaks about how His love never ends (etc.)" isn't really great wording either - I would picture Jesus saying "It is written that His love never ends and His mercy never ceases...".
So, instead of "In Lamentations three from verse twenty-two, it speaks about how His love never ends and how his mercy never ceases but rather begins afresh with each new morning.”, you'd have "In Lamentations 3:22, it is written that His love never ends and His mercy never ceases, but rather begins afresh with each new morning."
The other references to the bible are fine (in fact, I love that you do that and wouldn't have thought of it myself), except that you could also do "Ehpesians 3:18-9" instead of "Ephesians 3 verse 18-19" (and so on) for them as well.

Thank you for this amazing work! It inspires me to write about Jesus as well, and makes my heart soar to see others creating pieces or art like this! Keep writing!
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"
-Fahrenheit 451

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:42 pm
Echo says...

The pain was excruciating and as the dark red blood poured out from the bullet wound, it caused the energy within me to diminish.

The beginning would be more riveting if you hadn't out-right said that she'd been shot ... that she had a bullet room. Curiosity would've sparked more of the reader's interest, desiring to know what had happened to the girl.

Each time I looked at Him, I was filled with an indescribable peace, but His offer stilled left me baffled

Change "stilled" to "still".

“Lord I’m sorry for not being more like you, for being selfish and only serving you to the point where I feel it is enough. I feel as though I have failed you and I just wish I could have done more for you after all that you have done for me.”, I said as I fell to my knees, sobbing excessively.

Great dialogue, but it should look as follows:
“Lord I’m sorry for not being more like you, for being selfish and only serving you to the point where I feel it is enough. I feel as though I have failed you and I just wish I could have done more for you after all that you have done for me,” I said as I fell to my knees, sobbing excessively.

Jesus told me how God’s people had hurt Him through their sin and that even though He loved His son; His love for His people was strong, despite what they had done.

I get what you're trying to say, but this needs to be re-phrased, else it will make no sense.

The leaves above us echoed the gentleness of the wind as the moved with its delicate force

Re-phrase this as well.

filled my lungs with each breathe

It is "breath"; if you want to use "breathe" you will have to re-arrange your sentence in order to make it work.

at first, it the writing was made visible after I had put in a bit of effort and wiped away some of the grime

I suggest it to be: "... at first, it's writing was made visible after I had put in ..."

OVERALL:
How could I, the person who despite her best efforts to serve God had stumbled in her faith for what felt like far too many times go for a walk with the son of God?

I can relate.

You need to be careful with simply spelling mistakes, but also with dialogue. You need to make breaks between two separate people speaking, even if specified. An example of this jumbled dialogue was in paragraph 6.

You also want to break into a new paragraph when the idea changes. Watch out for that.

All that aside, though ...
“‘And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God...’ – Ephesians 3 verse 18-19”

While it could seem incomplete, I liked how definite this ending really was. The verse is a beautiful one to have chosen. What I would suggest is maybe, just to elongate the ending a bit, is to maybe add a simple description of what the poster looked like, before launching into the verse.

Overall, I quite liked this. I feel often like her, can relate; I haven't done enough to get to know the Lord, yet I still turn to him, asking for him to reveal himself to me, when really, it is me who needs to reveal myself to Him.

Aside from those small grammatical errors, it was still simply and beautifully written.

CAN'T HELP MYSELF BUT COUNT THE FLAWS /
CLAW MY WAY OUT THROUGH THESE WALLS /
ONE TEMPORARY ESCAPE /
FEEL IT START TO PERMEATE .

--The Naked and Famous; Young Blood

The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal.
— H. L. Mencken