z

Young Writers Society

Unsurprising

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 pm
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Edit: I should explain to the uninitiated (though I thought I kinda explained it in-story, guess not) that Zoro has the unique ability to fall asleep anytime, anyplace, within a matter of seconds; whereupon only being physically assaulted will wake him.
It's for the funny.

Looking at this now, it needs a lot of revision. (I need a good beta for the stuff I post on fanfiction.net.) However, I.......will fix it later. Yeah. Later.
And I'm only posting because I don't get enough reviews Jash said I should. (She's awesome, by the way, go say hi.)
So, here's some stuff on Zoro's sleeping habits, and why they actually aren't that surprising. (No duh.)
This could be made to fit the other strawhats--X isn't surprising about Luffy, Y isn't surpising about Nami, etc.--but I haven't thought much about it. I need inspiration and my OP craze is somewhat over.
.....................I seem to have a gift for long author's notes.

Edit: I EXPLAIN THAT HIS SLEEPING HABITS ARE UNUSUAL IN THE PARAGRAPH IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE SENTENCE THAT'S BEEN POINTED OUT.
Gripe over.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
People who knew Zoro were astonished by his ability to fall asleep.

To his crewmates, it was an annoying quirk. They couldn’t fathom how a person could fall asleep within seconds (especially after asking someone to tell a story!) or how he could sleep through so much mayhem. Like, for instance, the mayhem caused by everyone rushing about to ensure that the drastically changing weather didn’t cause their ship to sink. (That had been annoying.) Or the noise that was ever-present on their ship, courtesy of—well, everyone.

So because they couldn’t understand, Zoro often found himself awakened by a fist or a foot, or, on rare occasion, a stray rubber hand going fast enough and far enough to launch him into the ocean.

Come to think of it, Luffy never really made fun of Zoro for his sleeping habits. But then, Luffy had a narcoleptic older brother who had the ability to fall asleep mid-sentence--while eating--so he was probably used to it.

And, if a person really thought about it, it actually made sense.

See, Zoro spends, oh, 90% of his waking time training. Ok, 75%. 80%? The point is, the guy spends A LOT of his time training.

In addition, his training consists of lifting weights that are bigger than he is. And because he is Zoro, he drives himself to the breaking point, tells himself he’s weak, and pushes past it to train twice as long and twice as hard, harder than should even be possible for any normal human being.

So the swordsman actually has good reason to sleep so much and so soundly. He uses up so much energy in his waking hours that he can sit down and just crash for as long as he wants. It’s probably also his body’s way of compensating for all the abuse it gets on a daily basis. He needs the time to recharge.

He also needs the time to block things out.

See, losing your longtime rival and the closest thing you have to a best friend and/or crush is pretty traumatic for anyone. For a little kid, it’s devastating. Because although kids understand some things the way adults never seem to be able, there are some things that they have a hard time wrapping their minds around.

Things like death.

Most kids—well, at least most kids in Zoro’s sort of situation, others aren’t so fortunate—most kids don’t have to deal with death.

Death is for old people. Young people don’t get sick easily. Young people don’t die easily. Young people are fighters. Young people are more elastic, because they haven’t had the wear and tear of life grind them down til they’re old and tired and not as adventurous or stupid.

Young people aren’t supposed to die. And because they aren’t supposed to die, young people aren’t prepared for death.

Young people live in the moment, where everyone is still around, and the people they know they’ve known forever, and the new acquaintances quickly become old, because when you’ve only lived for several years a few weeks is a much larger chunk of your life than if you’ve lived for decades.

So young people don’t expect anyone to die because in the now, everyone is alive and since a young person lives in the now and doesn’t really look toward the future, now is all that matters and the future doesn’t exist.

And because right now this person is alive, and because the now is all that matters, this person will not die because the future does not exist.

Too bad life doesn’t work that way.

So Zoro learned that sleep was good because when you slept, you could block out the world and you didn’t have to think or feel the pain of loss anymore, because you were asleep.

He hated that kind of pain. Bodily pain was something that didn’t even matter to him, so long as it didn’t hamper his movements too much; but he didn’t know how to deal with mental or emotional or spiritual pain.

He fought with his body, not his brain.

And no one was inflicting this sort of pain so he couldn’t cut down the cause of it, and he didn’t know how to get to the root, so he trained and slept and trained and slept and trained and slept and tried to avoid the pain, because unlike bodily pain, mental and emotional and spiritual pain sometimes never heals.

Sometimes, it just gets worse.

So he trained to forget and slept to block things out, and worked hard to keep his promise.

Only, sometimes sleeping to block things out didn’t work.

Sometimes he dreamt of Kuina.

She had been so full of life, and such a great swordsman, and she had been everything he was striving towards, and dammit, who the hell dies by falling and hitting their head?!!
So he trained ever harder to forget the pain, and because he trained harder, he slept sounder.

And if anyone on that ship had stopped to actually think about it, they would have realized that Zoro’s sleeping habits weren’t surprising after all.
Last edited by fireheartedkaratepup on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

270 Reviews

Reviews: 270
Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:38 pm
fireheartedkaratepup says...

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh?????????????????? Why did this post twice? And how do I fix it?
"Ok, Lolpup. You can be a girl worth fighting for."
--Pengu

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 pm
Bivrax says...

To his crewmates, it was an annoying quirk. They couldn’t fathom how a person could fall asleep within seconds, especially after asking someone to tell them a story; or how he could sleep through so much mayhem. Like, for instance, the mayhem caused by everyone rushing about to ensure that the drastically changing weather didn’t cause their ship to sink. Or the noise that was ever-present on their ship, courtesy of—well, everyone.

So because they couldn’t understand, Zoro often found himself awakened by a fist or a foot, or, on rare occasion, a stray rubber hand going fast enough and far enough to launch him into the ocean.

Come to think of it, Luffy never really made fun of Zoro for his sleeping habits. But then, Luffy had a narcoleptic older brother who had the ability to fall asleep mid-sentence--while eating--so he was probably used to it.

And, if a person really thought about it, it actually made sense.

See, Zoro spends, oh, 90% of his waking time training. Ok, 75%. 80%? The point is, the guy spends A LOT of his time training.

In addition, his training consists of lifting weights that are bigger than he is. And because he is Zoro, he drives himself to the breaking point, tells himself he’s weak, and pushes past it to train twice as long and twice as hard, harder than should be even possible for any normal human being.

So the swordsman actually has good reason to sleep so much and so soundly. He uses up so much energy in his waking hours that he can sit down and just crash for as long as he wants. It’s probably also his body’s way of compensating for all the abuse it gets on a daily basis. He needs the time to recharge.

He also needs the time to block things out.

See, losing your longtime rival and the closest thing you have to a best friend and/or crush is pretty traumatic for anyone. For a little kid, it’s devastating. Because although kids understand some things the way adults never seem to be able, there are some things that they have a hard time wrapping their minds around.

Things like death.

Most kids—well, at least most kids in Zoro’s sort of situation, other aren’t so fortunate—most kids don’t have to deal with death.

Death is for old people. Young people don’t get sick easily. Young people don’t die easily. Young people are fighters. Young people are more elastic, because they haven’t had the wear and tear of life grind them down til they’re old and tired and not as adventurous or stupid.

Young people aren’t supposed to die. And because they aren’t supposed to die, young people aren’t prepared for death.

Young people live in the moment, where everyone is still around, and the people they know they’ve known forever, and the new acquaintances quickly become old, because when you’ve only lived for several years a few weeks is a much larger chunk of your life than if you’ve lived for decades.

So young people don’t expect anyone to die because in the now, everyone is alive and since a young person lives in the now and doesn’t really look toward the future, now is all that matters and the future doesn’t exist.

And because right now this person is alive, and because the now is all that matters, this person will not die because the future does not exist.

Too bad life doesn’t work that way.

So Zoro learned that sleep was good because when you slept, you could block out the world and you didn’t have to think or feel the pain of loss anymore, because you were asleep.

He hated that kind of pain. Bodily pain was something that didn’t even matter to him, so long as it didn’t hamper his movements too much, but he didn’t know how to deal with mental or emotional or spiritual pain.

He fought with his body, not his brain.

And no one was inflicting this sort of pain so he couldn’t cut down the cause of it, and he didn’t know how to get to the root, so he trained and slept and trained and slept and trained and slept and tried to avoid the pain, because unlike bodily pain, mental and emotional and spiritual pain sometimes never heals.

Sometimes, it just gets worse.

So he trained to forget and slept to block things out, and worked hard to keep his promise.

Only, sometimes sleeping to block things out didn’t work.

Sometimes he dreamt of Kuina.

She had been so full of life, and such a great swordsman, and she had been everything he was striving towards, and dammit, who the hell dies by falling and hitting their head?!!

So he trained ever harder to forget the pain, and because he trained harder, he slept sounder.

And if anyone on that ship had stopped to actually think about it, they would have realized that Zoro’s sleeping habits weren’t surprising after all.

I think it was pretty good. Yet, I was super confused here:

astonished by his ability to fall asleep.

I think anyone can fall asleep. Sorry if I misunderstood that.

animekaratepup wrote:Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh?????????????????? Why did this post twice? And how do I fix it?

lololololololol

happens to me in replies sometimes.

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:31 am
View Likes
Jashael says...

saves a spot*
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 pm
freewritersavvy says...

I quite enjoyed this. I will admit it seems a little...lacking in emotion but all and all it made me very curious! It is outside the box and therefore I like it!

~FW~
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

Reviews: 2
Sat May 07, 2011 1:47 pm
View Likes
KawaiiNeko says...

Hi there,
I finally found someone over here who knew of One Piece my favorite anime EVER !! :)
Now, let's get down to business (LOL)

Okay, so I do agree with Brivax because anybody can fall asleep , you can change the way you write the sentence into :
" People who knew Zoro were astonished with his weird ability to fall soundly asleep, any place and anywhere, very quickly indeed"

These two lines are absolutely wrong .

Sorry to say so, but this is the truth .... Young people are supposed to know that Death occurs anytime and anywhere , you can't HIDE nor FLEE from death. People, all together, are supposed to die one day, young or old , beautiful or ugly , short and tall, rich and poor they MUST die one day (sorry to say it like I am obsessed with death or stuff :/ ) . Moving to the next line.....
People die in different ways ..... the great grandfather of my cousin died when he sneezed ... Yup, he sneezed and then died , simple as that. The thing I want to point out is that , people die anywhere and at anytime and in every different, unbelievable way possible . :)

xoxo
KawaiiNeko
KawaiiNeko means CuteCat in Japanese :)

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:43 pm
titikemp says...

I love this! I'm madly in love with Zoro, on an almost sketchy level :smt055 , and i literally laughed out loud when reading part of this. Though when you mentioned children dying, i seriously nearly cried. (That might just be because this boy i've known since preschool just lost his mom, this past weekend, but it was freakin sad, and really true.) You're writing is SO good! I loved this!
“Miracles only happen to people who don’t give up!” –Ivan

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:31 pm
Jashael says...

You! Fireheartedanimekaratepup! You... I haven't heard from you. You bailed on me. Kidding. Here I am, not using the spot I've saved, which is weird. And I'm not the "a" word! D: Hearing it makes me want to shrink into a lemon. Lemon? Lemon. Random.

I have a confession to make: I do not know Zoro. I even thought you made a spelling mistake (Zorro), but then I saw that it was consistent; so I scrolled down, observed if anyone else knew who Zoro was and I guess he's a anime character. But anyway I'm off to my comments review.

First, I would like to ask you: Were you aware of the tense switches? You switched for a couple of times (at first you wrote in past, then present, then past again) and I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not because it could have been style. But if not, I know that you can easily fix that once you were aware with it. Second nitpick would be: till not til. Maybe 'til is acceptable. And that's just about it.

It was hard to follow it because I didn't know who the character was but I didn't have to know him to enjoy your writing. Your style made me smile. It was swift, making it much enjoyable. I hope you write more prose.

Jash
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind