z

Young Writers Society

Legend of Zelda: The Wings of Darkness

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:55 am
Gladius says...

Whee!! This one's another long one, but I don't think it's as long as the last one. :P Now we get into the action I wewrey wewry wanna wight! :D Bon apetite! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 9: Escape to Rescue

The darkness flickered. Moments before it had seemed absolute—now it was disturbed by something. The unease it felt angered the darkness; it roiled angrily, seeking to extinguish the source of the flicker that had disrupted its reign.

But the more it lashed out, the more the darkness flickered. More cracks of light shone through the blackness, and finally bright white light shattered the oppressive reign of shadow.

Voices crashed down on her all at once, though they were only of a level that could compete with the babbling of a tiny brook. Candlelight stopped at her eyelids, turning her vision a deep shade of red. She was lying on something soft, her head pillowed comfortably on similar material. The bandage on her arm had been changed sometime earlier.

Vanessa sat up quickly, then moaned and thought better of it when her head reeled with the movement.

“Ah, you’re awake,” she heard someone say. A gentle but firm and authoritative hand pushed the girl back against the mattress on which she lay.

“Wha’ ‘appened?” the girl asked groggily, blinking furiously to wake herself up.

The woman shook her head. “We don’t know. A group of soldiers were just going out on the first patrol when they found you unconscious on Seril.”

She put her hands over her face wearily, recalling the disastrous ride through the woods. ‘The dragoon was looking for me…of course it would be monitoring my movements as soon as he found out where I was,’ she figured. Vanessa felt completely stupid now; riding alone through the woods with sunset pending was a fool-hardy proposition at best—and that was while ignoring the fact she was wanted by evil for helping the Hero of Time. ‘But no—I had to go dashing into the forest all by myself and get caught. If it wasn’t for Teresa, I wouldn’t be anywhere near here right now.

‘Speaking of which…where is here?’
The girl voiced her question to the woman still standing beside her bed, though it came out more as a jumbled murmur than anything. Her head was aching violently; when she reached a hand to the hair on the back of her head, she felt a heavy lump. A sticky, congealed substance—probably blood—covered it.

“You’re in the infirmary, dear,” the woman—whom she now recognized to be her mother—informed her. “The healers got you patched up as best they could.”

“Then why is this lump on my head not bandaged?” Vanessa asked, finally managing to draw in enough breath to speak above a whisper.

Her mother shifted uncomfortably, twisting her apron as if wringing it out like a drenched towel. “You wouldn’t let them, to put it simply.”

Vanessa scowled, but before she could retort one of the healers bustled over. He and her mother exchanged a few words before the woman stepped to the side.

“Hullo—nice to see you something more than semiconscious,” he greeted, appearing somewhat edgy. A small, nervous smile twitched his lip, which Vanessa noticed had recently been split by an attack of some sort. “Please promise you’ll hold still this time? We absolutely must get that head bandaged.”

It took all of five minutes for Vanessa’s mother to shoo the visitors and others milling around out the door and for the healer to wrap a bandage and poultice-slathered cloth securely around her head wound. As soon as the man had left, the girl sighed irritably, put her elbows on drawn-up knees, and supported her chin with cupped palms. When her mother remained in the room but didn’t say anything, she frowned more deeply and said, “Let me guess—the healers don’t want me doing anything too demanding, right?”

The woman’s mouth twitched in a tiny smile. “I think they’re a little worried about that lump, is all.”

Vanessa snorted. “It’s not that bad.”

“Either way, you’ll be spending a lot of time in here,” her mother said.

“Being bored out of my mind, of course,” the girl grumbled.

Her mother’s smile widened subtly. “Then you won’t mind watching Soran for me, will you? If you need material to keep him occupied, just ask.” Before Vanessa could even try to form an objection—all she needed was a little kid traipsing around when she had things to do!—the woman had stepped through the infirmary door and the lock clicked shut.

The girl moaned again and hung her head, running her hands through her tangled hair. She sighed and flopped back against the cushions behind her back, staring at the dark ceiling as she contemplated her toddler brother. ‘My throat’s going to be sore halfway through tomorrow with storytelling if he doesn’t bring a ball or something with him,’ she lamented.

Her eyes widened when a thought struck her as suddenly as lightning.

One of her earlier conclusions after finding Teresa had been that she needed to learn more about her enemy. Few reasons, if any, for the sudden activity had turned up in her questing through the dusty parchment at the Town Hall. Even fewer had presented themselves in her questioning of various officials.

If she was to find anything that would remotely explain the sudden stirrings of evil, she should go to the source of its agitation:

The Hero of Time.

Where was the best place to get information on him—other than from himself?

The legends talking about the Hero, of course.

Vanessa smiled a feral grin.

Her mother had presented the perfect opportunity for her to learn more about her enemy. How delightful.
Two days later, Vanessa began to move her plan forward. When the girl’s mother came back to the infirmary that evening to take her toddler brother home, Vanessa requested that her mother tell them both a story about the Hero of Time. The girl was greatly rewarded by the information she gleaned, and the woman didn’t appear the least bit suspicious.

Apparently, according to the legend which she told the children tonight, the Hero of Time had been given his particular title with the nature of his travels in mind. Ever since the power-hungry Gerudo named Ganondorf had attacked Hyrule centuries ago, Link had begun bouncing through time to battle him. His and his enemy’s battles recurred every generation with a darkness that sought to strangulate Hyrule’s common populace so they could not fight back. A ray of hope in the form of the boy’s continual resistance to any and all defeat at the hands of evil always shone through the darkness, though.

“I suppose one good thing has come of this predicament—because of the constant threat of invasion, Hyrule is more united than any known country. Its people have also become very proficient with weaponry of all sorts,” her mother commented when she had finished the tale. Soran had fallen asleep in her lap; the woman now spoke freely with her daughter, sure that the two wouldn’t be disturbed by unintelligible questions.

Vanessa’s lip twitched with a tiny smile. “If what I’ve seen of the Hero’s swordplay is any indication, you’re right on that matter.”

The woman eyed her with a stern look. “Vanessa, I know what you’re thinking, and I can’t let you do it.”

“What?” The girl blinked, confused by the sudden change of topic.

“My grandmother once did the same thing, dear, when she was young,” her mother explained. “It only makes sense that you feel the same way she did, since you share her blood.”

“What are you talking about?” Vanessa protested, still puzzled. What did her grandmother and Vanessa’s current thoughts have anything to do with the story she had just been told?

Then, suddenly, she remembered a story the woman had told her once when she was little. She had said that Vanessa’s great-grandmother—full of guilt for not being more supportive of her fiancé—had rescued her husband-to-be from certain death in the work camps that had slaved over Ambi’s Tower. That had been in the same age as when the sorceress Veran and then Link had traveled to in their less-recent battle for control of Labrynna, ironically.

Vanessa snorted, feigning offense. “You seriously think that I’d go by myself to Northern Castle and try to free Link, with the dragoon after me and all the monster activity?” She gestured to the bandages on her head. “And with this lump on my skull? I’m not that stupid, Mother, nor have my recent falls addled my wits.”

The woman’s gaze bored into her daughter’s defiant brown eyes, eventually making the girl uneasy. “Just please be careful. Don’t do anything out of your league, especially before you’re fully healed. Be easy and play it safe.” She stood, carefully shifting the sleeping Soran in her arms, and bent down to place a kiss on the girl’s forehead. “Now get some sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

After the door had closed and her mother’s footsteps receded into nothing, Vanessa swung her legs out from under the sheets and lightly trotted over to the window at the end of the eerily empty rows of cots. Beyond the aperture, the faint light of a waning gibbous moon spilled lazily over the west end of Rolling Ridge’s foothills, highlighting the rhythmic rise and fall of trees and rocks in a milky pallor. Though the view would have been soothing to the girl on any other night, she scowled furiously as she realized that she couldn’t see the eastern end of the mountains where Northern Castle was supposed to be.

Vanessa closed her eyes and relaxed her body, reaching out with her mind for Teresa. She flew past the village, through the northern portion of Lynna Forest—the dragon’s favorite haunt—and circled back around to the northwest edge of town before finally spotting a large, dimly reptilian shape pacing through the woods in a southerly direction. With a tiny smile, she reached out and tapped lightly on the dragon’s mind.

“Ter? What are you doing?” the girl asked, a little perplexed about why she would be all the way out there at this time of night.

The dragon stopped beside an enormous oak to speak with her better. Vanessa caught an impression of herself, Seril, supplies, rations, and a scene of all of it put together and moving northeast in the dragon’s mind, but waited for Teresa to grasp the words needed to clarify the images before she asked questions.

“You say need to save person held in castle. Believe now is right to go. I find Seril and told him to wait in woods when you tell us we leaving. Now I hunt for us so we to eat when move,” she explained in a somewhat jerky manner.

Vanessa grinned at the dragon’s jumbled-up words and tenses of her verbs, feeling her mood lighten. The girl practically purred her satisfaction with and gratitude for the dragon's action before answering, “Not tonight, precious. Wait one more day.” She grinned. “And fix your grammar, please—we’ll work on that before we leave.”
Corporal Jennifer Farynson felt herself beginning to droop at her post wearily; the woman angrily pinched herself to stay awake. The pain did little to actually wake her up—she’d need a good mug of ale to do that—but it was better than nothing.

“Oie, i’s gonna b’a long un tonig’, Jen,” her fellow guardsman Tanen grumbled, leaning on his spear. “Reckon I’ll b’sleepin’ th’ ‘ole day t‘morrow.” The older man attempted a chuckle, but it morphed into a yawn.

Jen tuned him out as he muttered something about being too old for a job like theirs and focused her attention back on scanning the landscape around them. The pair were stationed high in a tree on the fourth wood-plank platform in a series of similarly-occupied stands running around the whole village. They had only been installed a little over two months ago now, but were weathering nicely and didn’t creak as the woman shifted her cramped weight onto her other foot.

It was a good thing these platforms had been built when they had—if it hadn’t been for the soldiers stationed in them, that girl would never had been found. The more Jen thought about it, the more she was sure it was also a miracle that the teen had stayed on her horse. When the soldiers on watch that night had brought her to the healers to be examined, they had found the nastiest of blood-caked cuts just beginning to swell up on the back of her head. They also discovered an arrow puncture beneath the bandages on the girl’s shoulder.

Jen could only shake her head with wonder that the girl had survived the encounter with whatever had attacked her—then remember that the only thing likely to attack a Hylian in these parts was a monster. In the three days since the girl had, she’d redoubled her vigilance while on guard duty.

The woman was jerked out of her thoughts when a tiny motion in the corner of her eye caught her attention. Her head instantly swiveled in that direction like a predator that had spotted prey and her fingers twitched around the grip of her bow. She stared at the spot fixedly, watching for another sign of life, and was quickly rewarded. Something white flashed through the tiniest opening in the foliage and snorted once.

Tanen eyed her questioningly. Jen nodded curtly, held up a finger, and pointed from herself to the ground to where she had seen the creature. The man nodded; they traded weapons before the woman slid down a polished wood poll and dropped lightly to the ground. She stepped carefully through the high grass of the forest meadow at the edge of which their platform’s tree stood and scanned the tree-line for potential threats. When none appeared, the woman stepped quietly through the trees and into a tiny glen ten paces farther into the forest.

Jen stopped abruptly, perplexed, when she came face-to-face with a white horse. It snorted, shook its mane out, and returned to grazing without another thought for her. The soldier noted it was tacked but wore a rope hackamore instead of the leather bridle favored by Lynna’s cavalry. She tried to place the horse but came up empty-handed—the only white horse she could remember seeing was the General’s. If she remembered correctly, though, he had given away the stallion.

Then, all of a sudden, she recalled to whom Zirren had given that horse.

She cursed and whirled around, prepared to stalk back into the clearing and raise a ruckus, but was stopped short by a person standing in her way.

Vanessa resisted the urge to smile. The woman-soldier’s expression was caught between a scowl and a look of surprise—it was vaguely amusing.

“What are you doing out of the infirmary?!” the soldier hissed accusingly.

Her inclination to smile disappeared. “There’s things I have to do that no wound—and certainly no militia-woman—can stop me from finishing. I would greatly appreciate it if you’d let me go now, since you’ve been so kind as to lead me to my horse.”

A muscle in the soldier’s face twitched, though whether with amusement or anger she couldn’t tell. “I really should call the rest of the guardsmen down on you,” she commented evenly.

“And you would be right in doing that,” Vanessa agreed. This seemed to take the woman off-guard, for she didn’t have another witty comeback ready. The girl took advantage of her opening and continued, “Or you could be the loyal soldier hailed as the one to turn the tables in favor of good over evil. You see, I’m going to find the Hero and bring him back.”

This news shook the woman even more badly then Vanessa’s lack of resistance to her presence. “You what?” she exclaimed hoarsely.

Vanessa grinned. “I’m going to stick my hand in a wasp’s nest and steal honey without getting a single sting. If you want, you can come with me—I’d greatly appreciate the help, seeing as it’ll be rather difficult for a girl and an inexperienced dragon to sneak into Northern Castle alone.”

The woman spluttered. “A-a-a—a dragon? Don’t tell me you’ve been in league with that—that evil thing the whole time?!”

She hid a flinch—she had been afraid, ever since Teresa convinced her to ask the soldier for help, that this would happen. Someone fool had undoubtedly mislabeled the dragoon as a lesser dragon, and now the whole town had caught on the idea. The girl sighed.

“No, you’re thinking of the dragoon that—” Vanessa bit her lip before she spoke about the ill-fated mission of the past. “The dragoon is roosting in Northern Castle at the behest of evil. This is where I think the Hero is now, and my dragon and I are going to go rescue him.”

“How’d you get a dragon, then, if it not this…dragoon?” the soldier questioned skeptically.

Vanessa had been delayed long enough; in the back of her mind, Teresa was urging her to get going. Images of what the dragon was seeing flitted around the edge of her awareness—the soldiers that were supposed to replace the current sentries were stirring, and one of them was bound to check in on the infirmary. “Are you coming or are you not?” the girl snapped, sidestepping the frozen soldier to snatch Seril’s head up from the lush grass of the glen.

The woman answered as Vanessa was about to throw her leg over the horse’s back: “I don’t have a horse. How am I supposed to keep up?”

It was the girl’s turn to freeze. That was definitely a dilemma; she didn’t have time to go back for another horse, even if the soldier owned one herself and it was in the stables.

Finally, she had an idea.

“Go back to your post, and after you ‘turn in’ for the night, grab a horse from the public stable and meet me on the other side of the hill in that direction.” The girl pointed. “You can’t miss it, and even if you do I can find you pretty easily.” Vanessa didn’t wait for the soldier to answer or protest, instead swinging into the saddle and turning Seril into an enlarged deer trail.

The doubts began assaulting Vanessa after she had left the thick trees for another little meadow. Would the soldier actually meet her alone? Or would she be raising the alarm right now and mounting a cavalry expedition to retrieve her? The militia themselves probably wouldn’t bother with a renegade citizen on their own, but Vanessa knew the persuasive powers of her mother’s tongue. She could easily convince the mayor to order the soldiers after her daughter and have her put in protective custody.

She touched Teresa’s mind briefly for an update—luckily, she could have her fears confirmed or nullified in advance, before any disciplinary action would be taken. “Ter? Report?”

The dragon was smug. “Sentries have changed.” There was a moment of silence, then, “She is leaving the barracks for the stable. She look around for anyone who she not want seeing her.”

Vanessa nodded and mentally acknowledged the information. “Good. Tell me when she leaves—if anyone tries to stop her, do the best you can to get them away.” The girl hastily clarified the order when she felt the dragon grinning viciously. “Subtlety, Ter—be quiet about it!”

It seemed forever, waiting at the edges of the trees where light and shadow converged. The moon blinked down sleepily at her as dark grey clouds scuttled across the even-darker sky. A tiny breeze ruffled the quiet trees around her; an owl hooted quietly in the distance.

A snapped twig startled Vanessa from where she was sitting against a tree, Seril’s reins in the crook of her arm. The horse’s head jerked from where he was grazing to look behind him, ears pricked alertly.

The soldier stepped from the trees, a chestnut mare’s reins in her hand. “Th’ name’s Jen,” she said simply.

Vanessa smiled.

She had found someone willing to help her in her adventures at last.
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

I'm also ZeldaMoogle on Fanfiction.net!

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:36 pm
PenguinAttack says...

Glad! Hi!
I’m so sorry this has taken me so long to get to! What I’m going to do is a general plot/storyline whether I liked it or not thing. I’m not used to critiquing fan-fiction, so sorry I’m a little odd about it. This should be based on all nine chapters. Here we go. *crosses fingers*

Prologue:
Eeeeeh. It’s not terribly engaging. It is a little. I’m interested in what’s going to happen and so forth, but I think you could have described the surroundings a little bit more. You’ve also got a little flow issue, for example:

“His student took a sudden step back, as if hesitant to leave her master; the man’s words dropped to a mutter and faded away before she had to decide. Her master stepped back with a satisfied smirk. “

- Just say “he stepped back” it’s so much easier on the mind.
You’ve got a few bits like this – I know that one seems a little pointless, but it’s just one example of the rest. I’m a bit iffy about the prologue in general, I can’t decide if I’m going to like this.

Chapter One:

You have a major info dump in the fourth paragraph, it’s really obvious. xD
“He stepped out of the woods and into the charred clearing that was merely a husk of the beautiful glen Link remembered. Small fires burned in remote patches of grass. He jumped as a charred, blackened branch fell from its tree with a splintering crack. “ < Repetition of “charred” Also... wordy. Unnecessarily so.

“guardedly” < ew that’s a gross word. Like... it’s just ugly. xD Also... are we sure it’s really a word? I’d suggest re-arranging any sentence that uses it.

Chapter Two:
““And I thought we would done with all this fighting after Veran.””
.... what? xD

Chapter Four:

“The Hero had just fallen into enemy hands for the first time in any world’s history.
And it was all her fault.

If she hadn’t run off to find the strange creature by herself, if she had asked Link for permission and taken a soldier with her, none of it would have happened. If she hadn’t let the creature hear her, she could have reported back that there was a dragon in the vicinity without- this.”

So quick! We didn’t get any of this before. Where’s the mystery?! Where’s the understanding. There was no warning she was ever going to try something so stupid. You need to lead up to this. We need to know more about her.

“He noticed her eyes were red-rimmed, probably from crying, though he couldn’t imagine why that would be.”
Um, because the hero of the land has been stolen and might be dead?

Chapter Six:

“Vanessa had gotten Link into imprisonment” < Very awkward.

“Incredulity ran through their minds, stemming from the dragon. Vanessa smiled then realized something with lighting celerity.” < Lightning clarity?

Chapter Seven:
“The man was casually polishing his blade, sitting cross-legged on the brown winter grass as they discussed basic tactics. To Vanessa, it a welcome respite from the past three days of intense instruction in intermediate swordplay. “
< “It was a welcome..”

“That opening generally appears as opened wings or an outstretched necked”
< “neck”

Chapter Eight:
“Vaden laughed with evil glee as the dragon enthusiastically leapt from the tower’s single cave-like room and soared southwestward toward the City. “
< Evil glee... really?... really? That’s terrible, dear. xD You can do much better than “evil glee”.

Chapter Nine:
“In the three days since the girl had, she’d redoubled her vigilance while on guard duty.”
< The girl had what?

Okay. So, this kind of turned out to be a random notice type crit. xD The above things are those little issues I saw and remembered to comment on. There are other things but if you read through your chapters carefully you should see them.

I think you have a small issue with info dumping. It’s never too much, but just a little more than you really need. It also moves a little slowly – this may just be because I have little interest in Zelda at all and am slightly biased, but it’s something to check on – at the start and working towards the middle.

The characters are a bit odd you have people doing things with little background preparation and it affects how much understanding I have of the text. You’ve also got a bit of dodgy description going on. In the first chapters it’s a little awkward, especially the prologue. The rest of the chapters are pretty good. ^^

All in all, this wasn’t terrible. It needs a bit of a look, but I think it’s quite good. ^^ Much luck with the rest.

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

111 Reviews

Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:28 am
Gladius says...

Penggy! *pouncehuggle* Thanks so much. I've been wondering a lot about the plot (ha ha--that rhymes) so I appreciate this review--especially since I know how hard you've been working lately! >.> *guilty look*

There are a few things I should probably clarify. I don't deny some of the spelling errors, mistakes, long sentences, etc. However, I would like to address the characterization thing. See, on this particular story, my fingers ignored me and went on typing--even though I have a plot outline written up that is somewhat different from what you see in this current draft. When I finish this, I hope to be able to upload the whole story into an attachment so people can look through my changes and edits at will.

For example, Vanessa will not go off on her own once I edit that chapter. As I want it to go, the whole group will come upon the dragoon together--or at least Link and Vanessa will. But I can't tell you that, or I'll spoil the new part for you. ;)

On another note--is there anything you can suggest for fixing up character background info? I was kinda hoping on bringing more of the character out as I go along...I don't know if that'll be enough, though. I'd really like some advice on that, because since that seems to be a major issue in my style, if I need to fix that I'd like to know.

Thanks so much Penggy, and I hope I've cleared up some characterization confusion! ^^; *huggles*
When Heroes fall and the Sacred Blade is captured, can Evil be stopped?~The Wings of Darkness

"Funny is a formula for which there are a million variables, and it is impossible to backtrack unless, possibly, you make a living out of it."~Rosey Unicorn

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:59 am
PenguinAttack says...

*huggles back!* (Lovely to talk to you too)

I think that letting the characters grow throughout the story is a great idea. But you need to prepare us for that a little bit. There are small things, like having a "she was always like that" or "He move his hand toward his belt, an unconscious habit" They help the reader to be like "oooooh, information!" without being intrusive to the storyline.

You can always have people overhearing conversations or characters merely watching others to get a good idea of little habits and ways about them. I think the longer the characters are together the more we know about how they are with people; for instance we know that Vanessa is competitive and a bit stubborn, but cares. The events you have are important in showing us how people are. We don't need to have "she was a hard-headed girl" or anything, show us through the events.

You're actually doing rather well with the characterization. Especially of Vanessa, of course, as we know her better.

Side note: I just remembered in your last chapter you have the guard following Vanessa. She does this with little thinking, are we going to learn more about why she did later? It's really odd for a soldier to just up and follow someone she should be taking back to hospital or whatever.

In any case! Pm me if you have more questions that I could possibly help you with. ^^

Luck!

*Hearts* Le Penguin.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:04 am
Sare Agama says...

It gets a little confusing with the Dragoon AND the Dragon. I can't seem to keep track of them. Let's just say, Dragoon and Dragon don't belong in the same sentence. Other than that, it's a really awesome story. Why don't you get a move on and post Chapter nine and ten? I'm bored and not getting any more reviews because nobody will post more of their story.

111 Reviews

Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:46 pm
Gladius says...

Ha ha. Thanks Climber. I know the dragoon thing's a little confusing, but this is pretty much the only story you'll have to bear with me in that there're both dragons and dragoons in the same area at the same time. >.> I'll try to refrain from using them in the same sentence when I get to the fight sequences, though--so point taken. :D

To answer your question--I've kinda had a major writer's block for this story the likes of which I haven't seen in quite a while. It's kind of a curse on me that I'll write a whole bunch of one story for a while, then write bits of two, then not write at all for a while, then go back to a little of both, then get a brain blast on another... *sigh*

So, I'm debating whether or not to officially label this as on hiatus for a while...at least until I get over my insane urge to keep writing in the sequel to this story over this actual one. If you want, I can post what I have of the next chap...though it's not much. ^^;

Reviews: 1
Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:31 pm
Wolf_Link95 says...

omg this is almost defeintly the best zelda fanfiction i have read!
I cant even find any flaws expect the bit with the dragon's and dragoons, but as you say that is a confunsing bit!
Maybe its time for a ocarina me thinks

111 Reviews

Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:11 am
Gladius says...

Alright, so it's not done yet. *notices the pouting looks* Yes, it's not finished; deal with it. But!--it's been forever since I've worked on this story, and since then my style has changed dramatically. Soooo...I figured I'd give you the first 'half' of the chap (still MUCH longer than chappies I've given you before, hehe ;) :twisted: ) so you can analyse my new style and tell me if you think I should go back and rewrite or just continue with how I'm moving this draft forward. Reason being, I feel the continuity's a little messed up, especially...well, I'll talk about that that the end. If I mention it now, it'll give away the big twist in this chappie, hehe. :twisted:

But enough chit-chat--onward with the rescue plan!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 10: Prison-Break

Zirren leaned forward, folding his hands atop Mayor Penn’s maple-wood desk. “My best corporal is gone, Mayor, and so is Vanessa. Monsters are beginning to congregate near populated areas. What else can we do?”

The mayor imitated Zirren, nervously thumping his fists against the dark wood. He glanced out the window once, then sighed and looked sternly at Zirren. “You already know my opinion—it’s bloody foolish—but we seem to have no choice. Go on and get your men ready; I’ll go inform the Maku Tree. Meet me there for last-minute instructions.”

Outside, the general expelled a huge breath, crossed his arms, and began walking back toward the two barracks that housed Lynna’s small battalion of militiamen. As he walked, he ran through his proposed plan and racked his memory for the people he knew that were best suited to each task.

First he was going to make sure each man could ride, and well. Only a few came to mind that fit all the requirements he had come up with, but there were others that would suffice as well as have other uses later in the plan.

He soon found his first few recruits and gave them a quick briefing. After sending them off to gather their equipment, the general headed for the training yards to search out other worthy soldiers.

Zirren grinned when he saw exactly the people he was looking for all gathered beside the far ring. The second group of people he wanted on his mission was made up of those five who had initially accompanied Link on the first ill-fated expedition. Of the five, he knew the names of three—Felix, Lysander, and Kye—and they could tell him who of the dozen people standing around were the other two.

After that task had been sorted out, the only thing left was to round up a few extra men. Then he would meet with Mayor Penn and the Maku Tree before gathering his soldiers to begin the two-fold search-and-rescue mission.
“I’m assuming you don’t have a plan,” Jennifer commented the next day as they lead their horses through the Forest of Time.

Vanessa threw a grin over her shoulder at the older woman. “Nope. Making it up as I go along.”

Jen frowned. “That’s dangerous. No soldier should ever go on a mission without some kind of a plan—even you should know that. Do you even know where Northern Castle is?” The other girl shook her head. The woman sighed and mumbled something Vanessa couldn’t make out. “It’s about thirty miles northwest of us on a hill beside North Gorge. No one that I know of aside from the Hero has dared venture near it for nigh on fifty years now—some claim it’s haunted by the remnants of Veran’s dark powers. Others have said the dragoon that was spotted recently lives there, drawing all manner of evil things to it through its unnatural existence.”

The girl forced herself to keep moving and not turn around to gape at the soldier. She was getting more information voluntarily out of Jen in five minutes than she had cadged from Zirren in over a week! ‘Why didn’t I try this in the first place?’ Vanessa thought. ‘Common soldiers’ tongues are a lot looser than a general’s, and even know more than generals in some instances. Or, at least, they guess a lot closer to the truth than some generals…’

“Then there was another rumor about it, too, a long time ago,” the soldier continued slowly after a short pause. “Supposedly there was a lord close to Queen Ambi who had this particular castle built for her. I don’t recall what his name was, but he was practically her right-hand man in the years of Veran’s possession of Nayru and that same sorceress’ manipulation of the past.”

Vanessa nodded without taking her eyes off the path ahead of her, carefully leading her horse through waist-high grass and the twisting roots of the trees overhead. ‘So some follower of Veran in the present day is trying to bring her—or some other evil—back?’

The girl was about to voice a question when the abrupt screeching of birds making quick departures from their perches interrupted her thoughts. Seril tensed and pranced a few steps sideways, ears pricked alertly and his hooves in readiness for flight. Vanessa intuitively stepped with the horse and patted his neck soothingly, scanning the trees to the left of the path for what had caused the disturbance.

Behind her, she heard Jen swinging into her mare’s saddle. “It’s not monsters, but it’s no one I know either,” the soldier reported in a lowered voice. “Mount up—we might need to run in a hurry.”

Vanessa had only just settled her feet in the stirrups when she heard hoof beats and the sound of horses snorting as the steady rhythm slowed to a walk. The girl motioned for Jen to follow her and carefully turned Seril into the trees on the opposite side of the path. Both horses stomped a foot nervously as the mounted company moved closer to their hiding spot.

Strange words from a foreign tongue drifted through the woods. A group of riders about twelve strong moved at a ground-eating walk along the forest path atop the largest, most broad-chested equines the girl had ever seen. All rode stirrup-to-stirrup in a roughly rectangle formation but every fifth man carried a different weapon: swordsmen guarded the rear; in the middle of the arrangement were the spearmen; and cavalrymen carrying long-handled axes made the vanguard.

The two things that caught Vanessa’s attention, though, were the language being spoken and the woman riding at their head. She recognized the language the men were speaking as what she had heard four nights before when she had been temporarily captured, but the woman she did not know.

Or did she?

A black-gloved fist was raised as the unknown woman motioned for a halt. Her black stallion tossed his head irritably as the vicious-looking bit in his mouth ordered him to stop, but the dozen or so horses behind him were more docile and did not protest the commands from their riders except to look around for signs danger. Vanessa unconsciously held her breath, wondering why they had stopped.

One of the soldiers moved forward at a slight motion from the woman. A few hushed words were exchanged, then the woman nodded and the soldier gestured three of the other riders forward. The rest of the company moved up into a diamond formation around the woman, and the four outside riders split into pairs before disappearing into the woods on either side of them.

“We should be getting out of here,” Jen muttered to Vanessa. Her mare stomped a foot impatiently, as if to agree with her rider. Vanessa nodded once slowly, biting her lip.

‘There’s something about that woman, though… Why does it feel like I should know her or something?’ The girl sighed. ‘Well, one thing’s for sure—she’s important, and obviously not on our side…’

“Vanessa!” the woman beside her hissed, her hand flying to her sword’s hilt. Jerking herself out of her unintended reverie, the young warrior shot a penetrating glance around them for signs of danger. Two of the four foreign soldiers that had split off from the main group she and Jen had spotted were moving through the trees toward them, weapons held in a relaxed ready position. They were too close for the pair to flee now without the scouts alerting their fellows, but if they tried to fight those same reinforcements would storm through the trees after them.

She quickly made up her mind. Pulling back hard on Seril’s reins, Vanessa whispered loudly to the soldier beside her, “Run!”

As soon as they turned their horses and Jen’s mare wuffed nervously, the enemy soldiers were on the alert. They kicked their horses through the tangled undergrowth after the two girls when Seril’s bright coat flashed in the afternoon sunlight. Calling to their companions with shouts and the same alien words as before, they gave chase.

Because riding through the virgin forest at high speeds was most definitely not an option, both girls veered their horses back onto the path—in between the mounted company and their original destination. Startled cries from the horsemen darted after them, soon joined by the riders themselves. Vanessa practically lay right on her horse’s heaving neck, trusting him to find a safe path away from the enemy. The sound of hoof beats filled her ears and vibrated through her body as the powerful stallion thundered on, quickly overtaking Jen’s lesser steed.

“Teresa! Help!” she called to the dragon as Seril soared over a tree in their path. For a moment after the pursued horses had regained their stride on the opposite side of the log, there were only two sets of pounding hooves against the forest floor. All too soon, though, the louder thunder of a dozen steeds drummed on. Their pursuers had crossed the obstacle, determined to catch their new prey.

“Go north,” Teresa advised. “Don’t follow path if you can help it. I do what I can to throw them off once you in woods.”

“It’s kinda difficult not to follow the path, Ter!” Vanessa retorted.

A moment that seemed an eternity passed while the dragon sought other options for her partner. Then she reported, “There small deer trail off to right another hundred yards. I distract them while you get away.”

Apprehension settled in the girl’s gut. “Ter, what are you—”

But the dragon had already swooped low overhead, in the opposite direction from the horses, and fallen to a jarring landing in the middle of the path. Vanessa heard their pursuers’ steeds whinny in fright and the men shouting in surprise, then anger. Her dragon roared ferociously amidst the clanging of weapons and a sudden inexplicable explosion.

“Ter, no!” she screamed, panicking. The dragon roared again—was it in pain?—as she tried to yank the stallion around toward the battle, but he was far too frightened to obey the bit.

“Vanessa, go!” Jen berated. “She’ll be fine!”

Reluctantly returning her attention to the path racing away beneath them, Vanessa spotted the barely-perceptible opening that lead onto the deer path her dragon had mentioned. She see-sawed on the reins, finally managing to slow the stallion’s careening gait enough where she could push him into the slightly less-dense forest. As the branches whipped by, the girl lowered her head to protect her face, barely hearing Jen’s mount following after them. The yells and yowls from the fight slowly faded as the tired, lathered steeds traversed deeper and deeper into the trees.

After a long interval, the running and the yelling ceased.

Vanessa remained bent over Seril’s neck, panting heavily. Her breath caught as the panting threatened to turn into sobs, fighting back tears. ‘Ter…’

“Hey, you alright?” Jen placed a concerned hand on the girl’s shoulder, watching her worriedly. The girl grit her teeth, berating herself mentally for being so emotional. “Your dragon will be fine; those soldiers are no match for something of her size and speed.”

“It’s not them I’m worried about,” the girl croaked—embarrassingly. She cleared her throat self-consciously. “It’s the woman. I—I think she’s a sorceress…”

Jen snorted. “Who cares? Against a dragon, what chance does even someone like her stand? Besides, you can check up on her anytime—don’t push yourself to drinks over it..”

Vanessa finally looked up, smiling thankfully at the soldier. “Yeah. It’s just…I’ve been taking care of her for a month now, and she—well…she means a lot to me.”

The soldier smiled. “Yeah, I can imagine.” She slapped her mare’s neck affectionately. “I’d feel the same about Nereen here; I trained her myself when they first gave us our horses. But enough chit-chat—we need to be moving on. See if you can’t get in contact with your dragon and figure out what’s going on.”

“Her name’s Teresa,” the girl corrected, but smiled anyway. “Ter…?”

“Soldiers gone,” the dragon replied in a sing-song mental voice. “They run back home like scared-y-cats. I show them.”

Laughing, Vanessa replied, “Good for you. Now, show me where they’re going—we’re going to follow ‘em.”
---
“So that’s Northern Castle…” Vanessa murmured, eyes wide at the impressive sight.

Towering granite walls surrounded a sprawling complex of wood and stone buildings that apparently served as barracks, dining halls, and armories. Siege weapons—ballistae, towers, trebuchets—lined the farthest northeast wall amidst curious-looking wreckage strewn between them. Throughout it all, figures morphed into dots by distance patrolled the crossroads and alleys. In the center, a lofty keep topped by a spiral, open-topped tower loomed darkly over the landscape.

Jen scanned the walls and open terrain in front of the extensive keep as Vanessa studied it. Nudging the girl out of her trance with a foot, she pointed to the near southwest wall. Almost a dozen small shapes—obviously horsemen—congregated around an unseen point along the wall; in another few minutes, they had all disappeared through it.

“A secret entrance?” Vanessa murmured.

The soldier pursed her lips. “More likely a postern gate. But it doesn’t make sense that it wouldn’t be more heavily-guarded…”

“Ter?”

“It’s a gate,” the dragon confirmed.

Vanessa frowned. ‘They obviously don’t expect much trouble so close to home…’ She snorted. ‘How arrogant.’

Her thoughts shifted to their objective as Jen began drawing out a diagram of the castle in the dirt beside her. It had been a month since the Hero had been captured; she wondered how he was holding up. From the fact that the dragoon had been out searching for her, obviously something had happened—but what?

She angrily shoved aside the possibility of his death. If he had been…killed, then darkness would have fallen much more quickly. The monster infestation would be five times worse than it was, and certainly there would have been some evidence of their enemy gloating over their victory. But there wasn’t…

Jen’s gruff voice snapped her out of her worried thoughts. “Alright, here’s what I’m thinking.” The corporal pointed to her rough map of what they could see of the castle. “The Hero’s most likely going to be held either in the tower or the dungeons—I’m thinking the tower, ‘cause he’s quite an important prisoner and they’ll probably want to keep an eye on him at all times. So we can either start from the bottom up—check the dungeons first, ‘cause that’s easiest—or go top to bottom.”

Jen’s gruff voice snapped her out of her worried thoughts. “Alright, here’s what I’m thinking.” The corporal pointed to her rough map of what they could see of the castle. “The Hero’s most likely going to be held either in the tower or the dungeons—I’m thinking the tower, ‘cause he’s quite an important prisoner and they’ll probably want to keep an eye on him at all times. So we can either start from the bottom up—check the dungeons first—or go top to bottom.”

“It’s probably easier to go from bottom to top than top to bottom,” Vanessa pointed out. “We’re more likely to be spotted the longer we take to do this, and going from midlevel to top and then all the way back if he’s not there ensures there’re more monsters to see us than if we go bottom to top. Also, I think they’re a little too confident.” She nodded toward the distant postern gate, putting a finger on its place on Jen’s map. “The gate isn’t guarded that well—what’s to say they won’t put Link where he’ll be most miserable, even if it’s not directly in the commander’s daily line of sight?”

The soldier nodded slowly, a finger to her chin thoughtfully. “You’ve got a point…I would say we could split up to make it a lot easier on us—and cut down on time spent searching—but I’ve never really liked that idea. What if we ran into trouble? It’s a lot easier to corner one person than two.”

Vanessa smiled. “So I guess we’re going with plan A—bottom to top, together.”

Jen nodded and returned the grin, eyes lit with expectant determination. “Let’s ride. Tell Teresa to watch our backs.”

The pair crawled a ways back from the crest of the hill they had been laying on before standing and turning to their mounts. As the riders swung into their saddles, the horses pawed the ground impatiently, sensing the Hylians’ eagerness. With excited snorts they darted off around the hill toward the forbidding castle in the near distance.

Neither woman spoke as they trotted their horses through the trees nearest the wall, then slowed to a walk as their destination drew within sight. They dismounted quietly and crept closer to the gate itself on foot, watching warily for signs of alert guards.

Vanessa tapped her comrade on the shoulder and pointed; two lazy Moblins haphazardly patrolled the ramparts. Nodding, Jen retrieved her strung bow from its tube on her back and knocked an arrow. In short order the two guards were slumped against nearby crenellations without a sound to warn the garrison beyond. With a final guarded glance at the open space between the trees and the wall, the pair dashed over the grass and into the shadowed entry.

Jen tested the gate; grinning triumphantly, she looked over her shoulder and mouthed, “The buggers left it unlocked.” Vanessa mimed laughter as her partner cautiously swung the iron inward. She quickly switched to a startled hiss as the metal gave a high-pitched squeak.

Leaving the gate how it was, they darted swiftly into the keep and made for the shade beside a small, shack-like building to their left, hearts pounding. As seconds passed and still no sound of anything moving to investigate came, the duo slipped through the shadows closer to the main black-stone keep at the far end of the courtyard. Snuffling monsters sprawled chaotically across the tramped-down dirt before dilapidated barracks, snoring or gambling away as the intruders snuck past. Occasionally a fight broke out somewhere where Vanessa couldn’t see; once she and Jen even had to drop to the ground in order to avoid a terrified Bokoblin fleeing a Lizalfos.

After that incident, they made sure to look twice before moving into the open.

At last, with much trial and significant loss of breath, they reached the dark granite walls of the inner keep. Unlike normal castles, however, this stronghold was not surrounded by an inner wall. The gaping entrance to its labyrinthine depths loomed eerily before them, in all ways appearing as unguarded as the smaller gate through which they had entered the fortress. Cautiously, they crept forward and were swallowed up into the gloom.

Vanessa opened her mouth to ask Jen which way they should go at the first fork in the gargoyle-lined hall but gasped instead when the distinct hiss of a Lizalfos sounded behind them.

“Run!” the corporal ordered. The girl heard a sword whip from its sheath as Jen pushed her toward the left corridor. Unable to ignore the panic slithering its way up her throat, the girl ran as she had been told.

Footsteps and scraping claws echoed down every corridor as she made random turns through the dim halls, terror lending speed to her flight. Imaginary creatures flitted toward her at the edges of her vision, but when she turned her head they disappeared. Still on she ran, certain some of the innumerable beasts were pursuing her.

After a time, when it became clear even through her fear-enwrapped mind that nothing would catch her—yet—Vanessa regained control of her limbs and slowed to a limping walk through the dark, thickly-tapestried corridors. With her thoughts clear once more, she realized she had no idea where she was.

‘I should try to find the dungeons, at least…’ She reached out for Teresa, but found that there was such a heavy aura of dark magic surrounding the castle that the dragon might as well have been a normal human, for all that the girl could contact her. With a sigh Vanessa halted in the center of a four-way intersection, helplessly staring off down each of the four identical passages. ‘How am I supposed to find that in this maze, though? Granted, going down is a good start—but I have to find some stairs first.’

Heaving another sigh, the girl turned to go down the right corridor.

“Oh—well hello there.”

Vanessa jumped with a tiny yelp of shock and stumbled back, just barely managing to catch her balance. Her eyes widened in horror as dread snaked a hand around her throat.

The sorceress from the woods stood directly in front of her, one hand on her hip and an amused smirk on her ruby lips. The dark hair spilling down over her shoulders and around her face shimmered with cruel light despite the equally-dark shadows around them, mirroring her abyssal eyes. A dress-like, midnight-blue tunic followed every feline curve of her body as she shifted her weight onto her opposite foot.

Taking a step closer to Vanessa, the woman asked herself, “What do we have here?”

She mirrored the woman, taking a shaky step back as the sorceress’ dark aura pressed down on her. “Stay back,” the girl threatened, hand inching toward the sword at her side. Dismayingly, her voice sounded small even to her—far too much like a cornered wolf cub.

The sorceress laughed. “Oh I can do that, if you’d rather. I’m afraid, though, that’ll be much more…painful—” She smirked dangerously. “—Vanessa Satori.”

At that moment three dark-skinned men seemed to materialize at each of the other cardinal points around Vanessa, slowly hemming her in. The girl spun around wildly, eyes frantically searching for a way to escape.

“Just give up. You know it’s futile.”

Anger flared up inside her, and that long-suppressed, animal-like instinct that had initially driven her to adventure and battle roared. With a vicious battle cry Vanessa surged toward the soldier behind her, her blade darting from its scabbard at the same time. The startled man dropped back as her weapon sliced through where his arm had been seconds earlier. Before he could recover she was gone, sword in hand as she again pounded through the shadowed passages.

Vanessa ignored the cries of pain shooting up her legs as she forced them on, feeling as if in a dream as it seemed she was not running fast enough. Dozens of turns rushed by as she randomly picked a direction and followed it, simply seeking to put as much distance as possible between her and the sorceress. What seemed an eternity passed as the shouts and pounding footfalls followed, slowly drawing closer with each corner she made.

Then she reached yet another junction, and her legs refused to go any further. Vanessa stumbled back to a walk, veering despairingly toward the bare stone wall as the ominous hammering of footsteps drew ever nearer.

Her feet suddenly dropped out from under her as her hand touched the wall, nearly loosing her grip on her sword; she only retained it through virtue of the hours of training she’d received from Zirren. The girl instinctively tried to struggle as hands roughly snagged her tunic and pulled her toward the wall, but it was useless. She was captured, and the soldiers were far stronger than her.

But it wasn’t the dark guards with a hand over her mouth, an arm around her struggling form, and back pressed against the curved wall of one of many dark alcoves lining the wall.

“Be still,” a familiar voice hissed in her ear, his breath tantalizingly warm on her skin.

Vanessa shivered—heart seemingly frozen in her chest with recognition—but obeyed.

Ears straining, the twosome listened with bated breath as the three guard’s footfalls grew louder, drumming a frantic tempo into the stone floor. Tense minutes passed as the soldiers slowed to a halt at the intersection and held a hushed council before coming to an agreement on something. After a moment of indecision, they finally split off down each of the halls and disappeared.

A sense of immense relief ran through her at the narrow escape; her heart still pounded from the prolonged run, as well as the fear that had oozed through her veins like a poison. But when she closed her eyes, the calmer rhythm pulsing against the girl’s back slowly calmed her.

“Oh gods—that was too close,” Vanessa murmured, leaning gratefully against her rescuer.

An almost disbelieving chuckle sang in her ears, making her blood race again as if powered by adrenaline. “You know, I knew you were reckless—but I didn’t think you were this stupid.”

The girl scoffed indignantly and spun around to speak face-to-face with the other Hylian, but Link’s haggard expression killed the retort on her tongue. His arms fell away from around her as she studied him; a faint flicker of disappointment darted through her, but it was overwhelmed by dismay and compassion for her savior’s beaten state.

“Wha…” She reached up to touch an ugly red welt on his cheek.

The Hero looked away from her, eyes filled with pain. “It’s nothing—I’ve had worse,” he mumbled.

Pity and an aching longing to do something to heal Link’s wounds filled her. However, he brushed past her out of the alcove in which they had taken refuge before Vanessa could move. “Link…”

“We need to get moving.” He crossed his arms, not turning around to look at her. From the back, his appearance was even worse—his once-bright, forest-green tunic hung in shreds, the skin beneath laced with half-healed, partly-infected wounds that made Vanessa flinch just to see them.

Her thoughts were yanked away from the former prisoner in front of her when the gut-wrenching realization that Jen was still out wandering the halls—or worse—hit her.

With a curse she moved to dart past Link back the way she had come, but he caught her wrist before she could get far. Another amused smile danced across his features, blue eyes alight with spirit no wounds could damage. “Not that fast.”

“But Jen’s still out there!” Vanessa blurted, worry written in every inch of her countenance. She tried to pry her hand from his grasp, but it was firm as iron. “What if she needs help? We have to go now!

Link frowned. “You dragged someone else into this fool-hardy plan of yours?”

She rolled her eyes. “Don’t look at me—take it up with Teresa!” the girl snapped, finally managing to yank her hand from his. “But do it later. Like you said, we need to get out of here!”

He shook his head disbelievingly as they both took off down the hall. “Alright. But you’ve got a lot of explaining to do once we get out of here.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So that's what I've got so far. If it isn't obvious, I started this chap a while back and stopped at where Teresa's giving suggestions for them to get away from the soldiers, but didn't get back to it until after a major style change. So anything after that is my new style. What d'you think? Personally, I'm really liking it. :D Mostly, I think, you really see a change (as mentioned before) in the continuity--character-wise, description-wise, and action-wise. As you can tell from the 'twist' I added (Link running into Vanessa), I added a lot more depth to their characters, especially in the relations department.

Hey, something *kinda* random--if you're feeling curious and have some time, I just thought I'd mention that I have this story's sequel up on another site if you'd like to read it. It's over at least 75k words and on chap 21 currently. *shrug* I personally prefer it over this story, but Vanessa's story deserves telling, plus it gives a nice chance to give some background for that story. If you're curious, PM me. And if you want, maybe I'll put it up on here, too! :D

Alright, enough for one night--tell me what you think!
~Glad

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:05 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Glad, Stella here!

Okay, so I have read none of the rest, so this'll be completely unbiased in either direction... may also be slightly confused, but ah well...

I. NITPICKS

The mayor imitated Zirren, nervously thumping his fists against the dark wood.

As in, nervously and repetitively, as in a nervous habit, or just once?

as they lead their

led.

the dragoon

Dragoon?

Strange words from a foreign tongue

in a foreign tongue, perhaps?

Vanessa whispered loudly to the soldier beside her, “Run!”

As soon as they turned their horses and Jen’s mare wuffed nervously, the enemy soldiers were on the alert. They kicked their horses through the tangled undergrowth after the two girls when Seril’s bright coat flashed in the afternoon sunlight. Calling to their companions with shouts and the same alien words as before, they gave chase.

Because riding through the virgin forest at high speeds was most definitely not an option, both girls veered their horses back onto the path—in between the mounted company and their original destination. Startled cries from the horsemen darted after them, soon joined by the riders themselves. Vanessa practically lay right on her horse’s heaving neck, trusting him to find a safe path away from the enemy. The sound of hoof beats filled her ears and vibrated through her body as the powerful stallion thundered on, quickly overtaking Jen’s lesser steed.

“Teresa! Help!” she called to the dragon as Seril soared over a tree in their path. For a moment after the pursued horses had regained their stride on the opposite side of the log, there were only two sets of pounding hooves against the forest floor. All too soon, though, the louder thunder of a dozen steeds drummed on. Their pursuers had crossed the obstacle, determined to catch their new prey.

“Go north,” Teresa advised. “Don’t follow path if you can help it. I do what I can to throw them off once you in woods.”

“It’s kinda difficult not to follow the path, Ter!” Vanessa retorted.

A moment that seemed an eternity passed while the dragon sought other options for her partner. Then she reported, “There small deer trail off to right another hundred yards. I distract them while you get away.”

Apprehension settled in the girl’s gut. “Ter, what are you—”

But the dragon had already swooped low overhead, in the opposite direction from the horses, and fallen to a jarring landing in the middle of the path. Vanessa heard their pursuers’ steeds whinny in fright and the men shouting in surprise, then anger. Her dragon roared ferociously amidst the clanging of weapons and a sudden inexplicable explosion.

“Ter, no!” she screamed, panicking. The dragon roared again—was it in pain?—as she tried to yank the stallion around toward the battle, but he was far too frightened to obey the bit.

“Vanessa, go!” Jen berated. “She’ll be fine!”

Reluctantly returning her attention to the path racing away beneath them, Vanessa spotted the barely-perceptible opening that lead onto the deer path her dragon had mentioned. She see-sawed on the reins, finally managing to slow the stallion’s careening gait enough where she could push him into the slightly less-dense forest. As the branches whipped by, the girl lowered her head to protect her face, barely hearing Jen’s mount following after them. The yells and yowls from the fight slowly faded as the tired, lathered steeds traversed deeper and deeper into the trees.

After a long interval, the running and the yelling ceased.

Vanessa remained bent over Seril’s neck, panting heavily. Her breath caught as the panting threatened to turn into sobs, fighting back tears. ‘Ter…’

“Hey, you alright?” Jen placed a concerned hand on the girl’s shoulder, watching her worriedly. The girl grit her teeth, berating herself mentally for being so emotional. “Your dragon will be fine; those soldiers are no match for something of her size and speed.”

“It’s not them I’m worried about,” the girl croaked—embarrassingly. She cleared her throat self-consciously. “It’s the woman. I—I think she’s a sorceress…”

Jen snorted. “Who cares? Against a dragon, what chance does even someone like her stand? Besides, you can check up on her anytime—don’t push yourself to drinks over it..”

Vanessa finally looked up, smiling thankfully at the soldier. “Yeah. It’s just…I’ve been taking care of her for a month now, and she—well…she means a lot to me.”

The soldier smiled. “Yeah, I can imagine.” She slapped her mare’s neck affectionately. “I’d feel the same about Nereen here; I trained her myself when they first gave us our horses. But enough chit-chat—we need to be moving on. See if you can’t get in contact with your dragon and figure out what’s going on.”

“Her name’s Teresa,” the girl corrected, but smiled anyway. “Ter…?”

“Soldiers gone,” the dragon replied in a sing-song mental voice. “They run back home like scared-y-cats. I show them.”

Laughing, Vanessa replied, “Good for you. Now, show me where they’re going—we’re going to follow ‘em.”
---
“So that’s Northern Castle…” Vanessa murmured, eyes wide at the impressive sight.

Towering granite walls surrounded a sprawling complex of wood and stone buildings that apparently served as barracks, dining halls, and armories. Siege weapons—ballistae, towers, trebuchets—lined the farthest northeast wall amidst curious-looking wreckage strewn between them. Throughout it all, figures morphed into dots by distance patrolled the crossroads and alleys. In the center, a lofty keep topped by a spiral, open-topped tower loomed darkly over the landscape.

Jen scanned the walls and open terrain in front of the extensive keep as Vanessa studied it. Nudging the girl out of her trance with a foot, she pointed to the near southwest wall. Almost a dozen small shapes—obviously horsemen—congregated around an unseen point along the wall; in another few minutes, they had all disappeared through it.

“A secret entrance?” Vanessa murmured.

The soldier pursed her lips. “More likely a postern gate. But it doesn’t make sense that it wouldn’t be more heavily-guarded…”

“Ter?”

“It’s a gate,” the dragon confirmed.

Vanessa frowned. ‘They obviously don’t expect much trouble so close to home…’ She snorted. ‘How arrogant.’

Her thoughts shifted to their objective as Jen began drawing out a diagram of the castle in the dirt beside her. It had been a month since the Hero had been captured; she wondered how he was holding up. From the fact that the dragoon had been out searching for her, obviously something had happened—but what?

She angrily shoved aside the possibility of his death. If he had been…killed, then darkness would have fallen much more quickly. The monster infestation would be five times worse than it was, and certainly there would have been some evidence of their enemy gloating over their victory. But there wasn’t…

Jen’s gruff voice snapped her out of her worried thoughts. “Alright, here’s what I’m thinking.” The corporal pointed to her rough map of what they could see of the castle. “The Hero’s most likely going to be held either in the tower or the dungeons—I’m thinking the tower, ‘cause he’s quite an important prisoner and they’ll probably want to keep an eye on him at all times. So we can either start from the bottom up—check the dungeons first, ‘cause that’s easiest—or go top to bottom.”

Jen’s gruff voice snapped her out of her worried thoughts. “Alright, here’s what I’m thinking.” The corporal pointed to her rough map of what they could see of the castle. “The Hero’s most likely going to be held either in the tower or the dungeons—I’m thinking the tower, ‘cause he’s quite an important prisoner and they’ll probably want to keep an eye on him at all times. So we can either start from the bottom up—check the dungeons first—or go top to bottom.”

“It’s probably easier to go from bottom to top than top to bottom,” Vanessa pointed out. “We’re more likely to be spotted the longer we take to do this, and going from midlevel to top and then all the way back if he’s not there ensures there’re more monsters to see us than if we go bottom to top. Also, I think they’re a little too confident.” She nodded toward the distant postern gate, putting a finger on its place on Jen’s map. “The gate isn’t guarded that well—what’s to say they won’t put Link where he’ll be most miserable, even if it’s not directly in the commander’s daily line of sight?”

The soldier nodded slowly, a finger to her chin thoughtfully. “You’ve got a point…I would say we could split up to make it a lot easier on us—and cut down on time spent searching—but I’ve never really liked that idea. What if we ran into trouble? It’s a lot easier to corner one person than two.”

Vanessa smiled. “So I guess we’re going with plan A—bottom to top, together.”

Jen nodded and returned the grin, eyes lit with expectant determination. “Let’s ride. Tell Teresa to watch our backs.”

The pair crawled a ways back from the crest of the hill they had been laying on before standing and turning to their mounts. As the riders swung into their saddles, the horses pawed the ground impatiently, sensing the Hylians’ eagerness. With excited snorts they darted off around the hill toward the forbidding castle in the near distance.

Neither woman spoke as they trotted their horses through the trees nearest the wall, then slowed to a walk as their destination drew within sight. They dismounted quietly and crept closer to the gate itself on foot, watching warily for signs of alert guards.

Vanessa tapped her comrade on the shoulder and pointed; two lazy Moblins haphazardly patrolled the ramparts. Nodding, Jen retrieved her strung bow from its tube on her back and knocked an arrow. In short order the two guards were slumped against nearby crenellations without a sound to warn the garrison beyond. With a final guarded glance at the open space between the trees and the wall, the pair dashed over the grass and into the shadowed entry.

Jen tested the gate; grinning triumphantly, she looked over her shoulder and mouthed, “The buggers left it unlocked.” Vanessa mimed laughter as her partner cautiously swung the iron inward. She quickly switched to a startled hiss as the metal gave a high-pitched squeak.

Leaving the gate how it was, they darted swiftly into the keep and made for the shade beside a small, shack-like building to their left, hearts pounding. As seconds passed and still no sound of anything moving to investigate came, the duo slipped through the shadows closer to the main black-stone keep at the far end of the courtyard. Snuffling monsters sprawled chaotically across the tramped-down dirt before dilapidated barracks, snoring or gambling away as the intruders snuck past. Occasionally a fight broke out somewhere where Vanessa couldn’t see; once she and Jen even had to drop to the ground in order to avoid a terrified Bokoblin fleeing a Lizalfos.

After that incident, they made sure to look twice before moving into the open.

At last, with much trial and significant loss of breath, they reached the dark granite walls of the inner keep. Unlike normal castles, however, this stronghold was not surrounded by an inner wall. The gaping entrance to its labyrinthine depths loomed eerily before them, in all ways appearing as unguarded as the smaller gate through which they had entered the fortress. Cautiously, they crept forward and were swallowed up into the gloom.

Vanessa opened her mouth to ask Jen which way they should go at the first fork in the gargoyle-lined hall but gasped instead when the distinct hiss of a Lizalfos sounded behind them.

“Run!” the corporal ordered. The girl heard a sword whip from its sheath as Jen pushed her toward the left corridor. Unable to ignore the panic slithering its way up her throat, the girl ran as she had been told.

Footsteps and scraping claws echoed down every corridor as she made random turns through the dim halls, terror lending speed to her flight. Imaginary creatures flitted toward her at the edges of her vision, but when she turned her head they disappeared. Still on she ran, certain some of the innumerable beasts were pursuing her.

After a time, when it became clear even through her fear-enwrapped mind that nothing would catch her—yet—Vanessa regained control of her limbs and slowed to a limping walk through the dark, thickly-tapestried corridors. With her thoughts clear once more, she realized she had no idea where she was.

‘I should try to find the dungeons, at least…’ She reached out for Teresa, but found that there was such a heavy aura of dark magic surrounding the castle that the dragon might as well have been a normal human, for all that the girl could contact her. With a sigh Vanessa halted in the center of a four-way intersection, helplessly staring off down each of the four identical passages. ‘How am I supposed to find that in this maze, though? Granted, going down is a good start—but I have to find some stairs first.’

Heaving another sigh, the girl turned to go down the right corridor.

“Oh—well hello there.”

Vanessa jumped with a tiny yelp of shock and stumbled back, just barely managing to catch her balance. Her eyes widened in horror as dread snaked a hand around her throat.

The sorceress from the woods stood directly in front of her, one hand on her hip and an amused smirk on her ruby lips. The dark hair spilling down over her shoulders and around her face shimmered with cruel light despite the equally-dark shadows around them, mirroring her abyssal eyes. A dress-like, midnight-blue tunic followed every feline curve of her body as she shifted her weight onto her opposite foot.

Taking a step closer to Vanessa, the woman asked herself, “What do we have here?”

She mirrored the woman, taking a shaky step back as the sorceress’ dark aura pressed down on her. “Stay back,” the girl threatened, hand inching toward the sword at her side. Dismayingly, her voice sounded small even to her—far too much like a cornered wolf cub.

The sorceress laughed. “Oh I can do that, if you’d rather. I’m afraid, though, that’ll be much more…painful—” She smirked dangerously. “—Vanessa Satori.”

At that moment three dark-skinned men seemed to materialize at each of the other cardinal points around Vanessa, slowly hemming her in. The girl spun around wildly, eyes frantically searching for a way to escape.

“Just give up. You know it’s futile.”

Anger flared up inside her, and that long-suppressed, animal-like instinct that had initially driven her to adventure and battle roared. With a vicious battle cry Vanessa surged toward the soldier behind her, her blade darting from its scabbard at the same time. The startled man dropped back as her weapon sliced through where his arm had been seconds earlier. Before he could recover she was gone, sword in hand as she again pounded through the shadowed passages.

Vanessa ignored the cries of pain shooting up her legs as she forced them on, feeling as if in a dream as it seemed she was not running fast enough. Dozens of turns rushed by as she randomly picked a direction and followed it, simply seeking to put as much distance as possible between her and the sorceress. What seemed an eternity passed as the shouts and pounding footfalls followed, slowly drawing closer with each corner she made.

Then she reached yet another junction, and her legs refused to go any further. Vanessa stumbled back to a walk, veering despairingly toward the bare stone wall as the ominous hammering of footsteps drew ever nearer.

Her feet suddenly dropped out from under her as her hand touched the wall, nearly loosing her grip on her sword; she only retained it through virtue of the hours of training she’d received from Zirren. The girl instinctively tried to struggle as hands roughly snagged her tunic and pulled her toward the wall, but it was useless. She was captured, and the soldiers were far stronger than her.

But it wasn’t the dark guards with a hand over her mouth, an arm around her struggling form, and back pressed against the curved wall of one of many dark alcoves lining the wall.

“Be still,” a familiar voice hissed in her ear, his breath tantalizingly warm on her skin.

Vanessa shivered—heart seemingly frozen in her chest with recognition—but obeyed.

Ears straining, the twosome listened with bated breath as the three guard’s footfalls grew louder, drumming a frantic tempo into the stone floor. Tense minutes passed as the soldiers slowed to a halt at the intersection and held a hushed council before coming to an agreement on something. After a moment of indecision, they finally split off down each of the halls and disappeared.

A sense of immense relief ran through her at the narrow escape; her heart still pounded from the prolonged run, as well as the fear that had oozed through her veins like a poison. But when she closed her eyes, the calmer rhythm pulsing against the girl’s back slowly calmed her.

“Oh gods—that was too close,” Vanessa murmured, leaning gratefully against her rescuer.

An almost disbelieving chuckle sang in her ears, making her blood race again as if powered by adrenaline. “You know, I knew you were reckless—but I didn’t think you were this stupid.”

The girl scoffed indignantly and spun around to speak face-to-face with the other Hylian, but Link’s haggard expression killed the retort on her tongue. His arms fell away from around her as she studied him; a faint flicker of disappointment darted through her, but it was overwhelmed by dismay and compassion for her savior’s beaten state.

“Wha…” She reached up to touch an ugly red welt on his cheek.

The Hero looked away from her, eyes filled with pain. “It’s nothing—I’ve had worse,” he mumbled.

Pity and an aching longing to do something to heal Link’s wounds filled her. However, he brushed past her out of the alcove in which they had taken refuge before Vanessa could move. “Link…”

“We need to get moving.” He crossed his arms, not turning around to look at her. From the back, his appearance was even worse—his once-bright, forest-green tunic hung in shreds, the skin beneath laced with half-healed, partly-infected wounds that made Vanessa flinch just to see them.

Her thoughts were yanked away from the former prisoner in front of her when the gut-wrenching realization that Jen was still out wandering the halls—or worse—hit her.

With a curse she moved to dart past Link back the way she had come, but he caught her wrist before she could get far. Another amused smile danced across his features, blue eyes alight with spirit no wounds could damage. “Not that fast.”

“But Jen’s still out there!” Vanessa blurted, worry written in every inch of her countenance. She tried to pry her hand from his grasp, but it was firm as iron. “What if she needs help? We have to go now!

Link frowned. “You dragged someone else into this fool-hardy plan of yours?”

She rolled her eyes. “Don’t look at me—take it up with Teresa!” the girl snapped, finally managing to yank her hand from his. “But do it later. Like you said, we need to get out of here!”

He shook his head disbelievingly as they both took off down the hall. “Alright. But you’ve got a lot of explaining to do once we get out of here.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So that's what I've got so far. If it isn't obvious, I started this chap a while back and stopped at where Teresa's giving suggestions for them to get away from the soldiers, but didn't get back to it until after a major style change. So anything after that is my new style. What d'you think? Personally, I'm really liking it. :D Mostly, I think, you really see a change (as mentioned before) in the continuity--character-wise, description-wise, and action-wise. As you can tell from the 'twist' I added (Link running into Vanessa), I added a lot more depth to their characters, especially in the relations department.

Hey, something *kinda* random--if you're feeling curious and have some time, I just thought I'd mention that I have this story's sequel up on another site if you'd like to read it. It's over at least 75k words and on chap 21 currently. *shrug* I personally prefer it over this story, but Vanessa's story deserves telling, plus it gives a nice chance to give some background for that story. If you're curious, PM me. And if you want, maybe I'll put it up on here, too! :D

Alright, enough for one night--tell me what you think!
~Glad[/quote]
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:50 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Glad, Stella here!

Okay, so I have read none of the rest, so this'll be completely unbiased in either direction... may also be slightly confused, but ah well...

I. NITPICKS

The mayor imitated Zirren, nervously thumping his fists against the dark wood.

As in, nervously and repetitively, as in a nervous habit, or just once?

as they lead their

led.

the dragoon

Dragoon?

Strange words from a foreign tongue

in a foreign tongue, perhaps?

Vanessa whispered loudly

hissed, maybe?

ballistae, towers, trebuchets

ballistae, trebuchets, grand, but how exactly are towers siege weapons? Or do you mean like those big things orcs come out of the The Return of the King?!

amidst curious-looking wreckage strewn between them.

Either amidst or between, both doesn't sound quite right to me...

the dragoon

Again, actually dragoon or dragon? I mean, it could be dragoon, probably is... but... just checking.

had been out searching for her, obviously something had happened—but what?

I'm seeing double!

“The buggers left it unlocked.”

Complicated to mouth...

The dark hair spilling down over her shoulders and around her face shimmered with cruel light despite the equally-dark shadows around them, mirroring her abyssal eyes.

This sentence, though pretty, takes several readings.

his once-bright, forest-green tunic hung in shreds,

Wasn't it Zelda wore that?! ;)

Alright...

II. THE BOY, THE GIRL

You tend to, instead of using pronouns and names, say "The Girl" "The soldier," "The pair," "The dragon." It's fine once or twice but, to be honest, after a while it gets a bit annoying. I understand it's good to remind us just who's who, but not this often! Just be careful with it...

III. OVERALL

Well, considering I didn't read any of the rest, this was surprisingly easy to follow- and considering I've never played Zelda either. Your style is nice, simple- just how I like it, personally. It is a bit long- I think you're in the habit of writing long chapters, yes? So... whatever on that note...

Hope I helped, and feel free to drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

111 Reviews

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:05 am
View Likes
Gladius says...

Yay, thankies! ^_^

Stella Thomas wrote:

I'm seeing double!

Haha yeah, I just noticed that when I opened it to work on it today. ^^;

Wasn't it Zelda wore that?!

*rolls on floor laughing* ;) :D

Well, considering I didn't read any of the rest, this was surprisingly easy to follow- and considering I've never played Zelda either. Your style is nice, simple- just how I like it, personally. It is a bit long- I think you're in the habit of writing long chapters, yes? So... whatever on that note...

Thanks. That's exactly what I was going for, especially for non-gamer readers. ^_^ Yes, I'm very much used to writing long chaps (and if you think this was long--I'm not even finished. Also, I've written some chaps that were, like, 12+ MS Word pages. Oo).

Again, thankies! ^_^
~Glad

111 Reviews

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 am
Gladius says...

Yay, thankies! ^_^

Stella Thomas wrote:

I'm seeing double!

Thanks. That's exactly what I was going for, especially for non-gamer readers. ^_^ Yes, I'm very much used to writing long chaps (and if you think this was long--I'm not even finished. Also, I've written some chaps that were, like, 12+ MS Word pages. Oo).

Again, thankies! ^_^
~Glad

111 Reviews

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:16 am
Gladius says...

Yay, thankies! ^_^

Stella Thomas wrote:

I'm seeing double!

Again, thankies! ^_^
~Glad

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:49 am
Pippiedooda says...

Hi Gladius! :D Sorry I took so long, chat distracts me :oops: I have read the first chapter and am reviewing that now before moving to the next, and I really like it so far! I certainly want to know what that gust of wind was- something evil no doubt :shock: Now I shall proceed to review the first piece in my overly-picky-ninja-style-mode :smt027 :wink:

He muttered an incantation in a language none but his pupil could understand.

I think this sentence is correct in everything, it just confused me a bit as I thought he had muttered an incantation at first, that it wasn't a constant stream of words but that he had already said it. Perhaps to get across that he is saying these words without stopping you could add something in or rephrase it a little. Maybe something like 'He muttered an incantation steadily without pausing for breath, his words a language that none but his pupil could understand.'

His student took a sudden step back, as if hesitant to leave her master; the man’s words dropped to a mutter and faded away before she had to decide.

By taking a sudden step back it doesn't really sound like she is hesitant to leave her master- it more says that she is afraid of him. You could maybe add in something after the step back about stopping as if hesitant to leave her master or you could extend a bit upon the hesitance to include something about being afraid of him as well :) I think you could also add a bit more to 'before she had to decide', just to make it clearer what she is deciding on, maybe something like 'whether to flee of stand her ground'.

He stepped out of the woods and into the charred clearing that was merely a husk of the beautiful glen Link remembered. Small fires burned in remote patches of grass. He jumped as a charred, blackened branch fell

You repeat 'charred' here, I'd maybe change one of them to something else of just leave it out about the branch as you already have 'blackened' and I think that would work fine on its own :)

from its tree with a splintering crack. The acrid taste of smoke burned in his throat, making him cough. There was not an animal to be seen or heard in the dead silence- only flames and the crack and pop of burning wood.

You repeat the sound 'crack' here so I'd maybe change one, maybe the flames could 'splutter' or 'spit' or something like that. I think you could maybe rephrase 'there was not an animal to be seen or heard in the dead silence' a bit, perhaps something like 'There was not a single animal to be seen or heard, dead silence reigning fully over the decimated clearing.' as you mention about the 'dead silence' maybe it would be good to also refer to the image of the clearing again as you are saying you cannot see an animal.

Link slowly moved through the clearing, glancing guardedly around to be sure there were no monsters in sight.

This is a really picky comment sorry :P I thought you could possible change 'moved' as you have used it to describe his movements through the forest before quite recently. Anything like 'stepped' or 'walked' could work here instead :)

His heart filled with sadness and anger as he turned to the demolished remains of the little cottage that had been there just three days earlier.

I think you could go through his emotions a bit better, like in stages first showing his sadness and describing that feeling a little then moving on to anger. Something perhaps about his heart sinking in sadness before burning with anger and a bit more description on the rest of his body's feelings might work well.

The Bokoblins and Moblins he had no trouble outrunning. But as he and the remaining Lizalfoses played cat-and-mouse, Link knew he would have to do something soon to avoid the fifteen upright lizards and certain death.

:D OK it's probably just me but when I read this first I thought you meant the 'cat and mouse' game we used to play at school and that the Lizafolses were stronger because they played that game and so did Link :P I think it is just me but perhaps rephrasing it wouldn't be so bad. Maybe you could add something in about how Link is struggling and that's why he needs to think up some other plan?

he again drew his sword and ducked behind a withered oak to wait for the lagging lizards to come in sight again.

I'm not sure but maybe 'into' would work better here than 'in'.

but it is as yet rather weak. Yet its power grows exponentially with each passing day.

I'd change one of the 'yet' so you are not repeating them so close to one another, anything like 'but' 'still' 'however' or a word similar would work fine.

Link sighed- it always had to be him, didn’t it?- and complained, “Maku Tree,

I don't think you need the 'and complained' part to this sentence, I think it might work better without it as we can already tell that he is complaining from his words and that he is sighing beforehand :)

there came a gust of wind that shook her limbs and caught the leaves straight off their branches. Link braced himself against the strong winds, feeling his cap threaten to fly off his head. The winds died down in three seconds, leaving Link confused.

I'd maybe change one of the three 'wind/winds' here, I think it works fine twice but with the third one it did sound kind of repetitive. Maybe the last one could be referred to as something like 'the whirl of air' or something like that- I'm sure you can come up with something :P or even 'they' as it is clear from the previous sentence what you are talking about.

The Maku Tree cleared up his confusion. “There is a girl here by the name of Vanessa. You might know her parents, wouldn’t you?” She asked, only the slightest rustling of her leaves.

'wouldn't you?' sounded odd to me here, but if I read through it again I can see that it makes sense :? I think you could always rephrase it to something like 'you probably know her parents, don't you?' there are a number of ways it could be phrased but it's up to of course :) I'm also not sure about the 'cleared up his confusion' part as it doesn't really, maybe instead about her interrupting his thoughts or bringing the topic back up.

Overall: I think this is a good beginning and I will definitely read on! As with the previous piece I reviewed of yours though, I am being very picky so ignore my comments if you like :P I really loved how this was written and the hints of danger to come, from reading this it sounds like the story ahead will be an exciting one :D

I think you could add more to how Link feels physically, like when he is running or when he is upset. I like the thoughts throughout the piece in revealing more from Link's perspective but maybe a bit more on how his body is effected would be good too. For instance when he is running maybe he is out of breath or his heart rate increases or something like that. I'd also add a bit more to where the animals see off the Lizalfos as it goes by very quickly- maybe some more detail on how they appear when fleeing or how the animals look in their actions. I was a bit confused by that part so I think some more explanation could be added.

I thought the scene with the Maku tree and the gust of wind was well written, the only thing that I think could be added would be how she sounds after he gust of wind- has her voice changed? There is obviously something suspicious about it so I was just wondering how it affected her :)

That's all I could spot in my pickiness, hope I've helped! :D *star*
"Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries"
-Monty Python and The Holy Grail

111 Reviews

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:44 pm
Gladius says...

Hi Gladius! Sorry I took so long, chat distracts me

Haha lol Don't worry about it. I am plagued by the same affliction. xD

I have read the first chapter and am reviewing that now before moving to the next,

Well thankies! You don't have to review every chap if you don't want to, though; my style, as I've said multiple times, has so dramatically changed that actually a lot of the nitpicks you picked up will be fixed just as a matter of course when I get off my lazy butt and rewrite this. xD Go ahead and read it all, though, 'cause I don't know how much sense the most-recent part of the story will make without reading it, but keep in mind that how I really write at the moment is more like the 10th chap (which I just recently put up).

and I really like it so far! I certainly want to know what that gust of wind was- something evil no doubt

Yay! Thankies. ^_^ Actually...ok, here's something really weird about my brain. It likes to insert rather mysterious foreshadowing about certain plot points that I subconsciously discard, and thus completely forget about revealing the reason behind the foreshadowing later; or else the mode of foreshadow just makes no sense at all. So I'm thinking that's going to be changed--but good job picking up on that, anyway! xD ^^;

Overall: I think this is a good beginning and I will definitely read on! As with the previous piece I reviewed of yours though, I am being very picky so ignore my comments if you like. I really loved how this was written and the hints of danger to come, from reading this it sounds like the story ahead will be an exciting one

Haha not at all! Please, continue the pickiness, if you so desire. :P Thank you for the compliments, and I hope I do keep it exciting. ^_^

I think you could add more to how Link feels physically, like when he is running or when he is upset. I like the thoughts throughout the piece in revealing more from Link's perspective but maybe a bit more on how his body is effected would be good too. For instance when he is running maybe he is out of breath or his heart rate increases or something like that. I'd also add a bit more to where the animals see off the Lizalfos as it goes by very quickly- maybe some more detail on how they appear when fleeing or how the animals look in their actions. I was a bit confused by that part so I think some more explanation could be added.

Oh, rest assured--these will be added when I edit, hehe. *evil gigglesmirk* :twisted:

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.
— Bishop Desmond Tutu