z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone... and Lillie

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Wed May 13, 2009 7:14 pm
Cotton says...

Well, this was my first idea for lucyy's marvelous competition. I'm sure most of you know the Harry Potter books... so I don't really need to give much additional information! Anyway, this is Harry's first potions class, and how it would turn out differently if I had been there. Or rather, not that differently since this was just my first idea and I got really hung up on sticking to what was in the book. I get like that sometimes. Anyway, this really isn't very good and I'm considering taking it off - so please go and look at Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone...and Lillie 2. That is much better!

I sat at the back of the potions class, nervously flicking through my glossy new textbook as we all waited for the teacher to arrive. I knew that this potions class would be taken by the tall, greasy and intimidating Professor Snape. This instilled an anxiousness that was mirrored in everybody else in the dungeon, if the nervous mutterings that surrounded me were anything to go by.
Everything at Hogwarts was – there was no other word for it – amazing. All the old paintings with subjects that moved and talked! For over an hour on the first night, I had had a long and detailed conversation with the painting of a reasonably young wizard called Mozart. He played me some of his pieces on the piano, and clapped ecstatically and beamed when I recognised some.
The lessons, although nothing at all like the maths, science and English ones I was used to, were enthralling. I found the Transfiguration lesson the easiest, although judging by the other students’ expressions, I was the only one with that opinion. Professor McGonagall, the Transfiguration teacher, is also my head of house. Even though Gryffindor seems like a good one, from what I heard on the train I would have thought I might have been put into Ravenclaw, but I don’t question the Sorting Hat’s decision.
The murmur of quiet voices died the moment the large doors swung open and Snape swept into the room, his black robes trailed through the air behind him. I watched him as he made his swift way up to the front of the class, and it wasn’t until he turned around and glared at us all that I realised that, sitting along from me, was that small, skinny boy with untidy black hair.
Harry Potter, so I’d been told by almost everybody here. He was sat next to a very red-haired boy called Weasley – I had already met his brothers, Fred and George – and I saw Professor Snape glare particularly viciously at Harry.
Snape began to take the register, and I just managed to stammer a shaky, “Yes, sir!” when he called my name. A few calls of “Here, sir,” later, Snape hesitated, his upper lip curling.
“Ah, yes,” he said softly, “Harry Potter. Our new – celebrity.”
Some large boys sniggered; I glared at them from behind, and noticed the bushy-haired girl to my right doing the same. I caught her eye and we shared a short, small smile.
“You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making,” began Snape. Again, I noticed him rest his narrowed eyes on Harry for another moment. “As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don’t expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death – if you aren’t as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach.”
I’m not a dunderhead, I thought angrily. In fact, I was perfectly ready to prove to this gently-terrifying teacher. Again, I met that bushy-haired girl’s eye, and I could tell we were thinking the same thing.
“Potter!” said Snape suddenly. “What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?”
I resisted the temptation to lift my hand into the air like that girl was; I peeked across to her books, and saw the name Hermione Granger written in a small, neat hand on the top one. However, I also knew the answer to Snape’s question. Not entirely, however, but I remembered reading it in the textbook; those two ingredients made the Draught of Living Death. I smiled knowingly to myself as the silence in the absence of Harry’s answer lengthened uncomfortably.
“I don’t know, sir,” he finally mumbled.
Snape’s lips twitched in half a smile, half a sneer. “Tut, tut – fame clearly isn’t everything.”
Harry looked embarrassed, and Hermione’s hand twitched impatiently in the air, but Snape ignored them both.
“Let’s try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?”
The stomach of a goat, I thought instantly. This seemed like such a simple question, I was stunned when the Potter boy did not answer. Hermione stretched herself taller.
“I don’t know sir.”
“Thought you wouldn’t open a book before coming, eh, Potter?”
Harry averted his eyes, looking instead down at the desk under his nose, as Hermione stretched even higher into the air; I stifled a grin.
“What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?”
Hermione, clearly desperate to prove she was not a dunderhead, stood up, her hand reaching up perilously high.
“I don’t know,” said Harry quietly. There was a gentle undercurrent of defiance in his voice, and I sucked in a breath, certain that Snape would not miss this. “I think Hermione does, though, why don’t you try her?”
His sheer cheek compelled me to titter ever so quietly. The moment the risky sound passed my lips, I knew it was a mistake. Snape fixed me, and the others who had laughed, with his glare – he had eyes like two black holes, they were so dark and strong in their ability to hold others’ gazes.
“Sit down,” he snapped at Hermione, who slid back down into her chair with the air of a scolded cat. “For you information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren’t you all copying that down?”
The silence was suddenly broken by the sounds of the whole class rummaging for their quills and parchment. Well, not the whole class. Hermione and I had, of course, already written Snape’s little speech down. Our eyes met again, and she said, tentatively, “Hi.”
“Hello,” I replied, just as shyly.
“...will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter.”
A minute later, Snape came around and put us all into pairs. He allowed Harry and the Weasley boy to work together, and then paired a boy called Neville with another called Seamus. Then, moving further along the row, he paired me with Hermione.
“I’m Lillie, by the way,” I said as she pulled her apparatus out of her bag with an impressive speed; I began setting up my cauldron.
“I’m Hermione.”
We didn’t say much else for a while – we were both concentrating on the potion. It was really rather simple, and it took me back to the odd experiment we had done at primary school. Hermione quipped my chopping once, and I corrected the level of heat she had set under the cauldron, but we both took the criticism as advice and smiled, sharing the odd sarcastic but friendly comment.
I decided I could really, really like this girl. We seemed so alike – apart from our hair, as mine was deadly straight.
The potion needed to simmer quietly for one minute and seventeen seconds, so I took the time to glance around at what everybody else was doing. From what I could see, ours was by far the best, especially compared to the one being prepared by Neville and Seamus to our left. They did not seem as adept as Hermione and I were at concentrating and attention to detail. Suddenly, I noticed Neville about to add the porcupine quills to his potion, but his cauldron was still on the fire.
“Wait!” I said hastily, and he jumped, dropping the quills on the floor, where they rolled away under the desks. “Neville, right? You have to take the cauldron off the fire before adding the quills.”
“O-oh,” muttered Neville, turning bright red. “Sorry. Thanks.”
“No problem,” I replied brightly, smiling. I turned back to our cauldron and watched as Hermione stirred it before completing the final step. Snape called us to attention then, to observe how well a silver-blond haired boy had stewed his horned slugs.
When he came around a minute or two later to see how we were getting on, Snape could not find a fault with our potion. I turned to Hermione and saw that she was beaming ear to ear; I must have been, too.
Snape made a non-committal noise as he peered into Neville’s cauldron but said nothing – until he reached Harry’s. He stared intently at the glimmering potion for a long minute before he spoke.
“You have clearly not stewed your horned slugs on a high enough heat. Well, I can’t say I’m surprised. That’s another point you’ve lost for Gryffindor.”
When the lesson ended, about an hour later, I neatly packed all my things into my bags and turned to leave, fully prepared to do my homework alone up in the Gryffindor common room. However, waiting for me outside in the corridor, was Hermione.
“Do you – do you want to start on the Transfiguration essay? I remember you were in my class,” she asked.
I was surprised, but immensely pleased. “Yeah, I’d love to!”
So we set off up the corridor to the Entrance Hall, right behind Harry and the ginger-haired Weasley he called Ron. Ron glanced around, saw Hermione and me and groaned quietly. He nudged Harry and whispered, loud enough for us to hear, in a voice that suppressed a groan, “Oh no, now there are two of her.”
Hermione’s previously bright expression slumped, and she looked upset.
Furious, I called out a sharp retort. “At least that’s better than there being two of you. Then there would be twice as many useless lumps – and that can never be good.”
It worked. Ron looked annoyed, but I didn’t care one jot – because my new friend smiled gratefully at me. Hermione and I laughed all the way up the stairs, and were still giggling as we passed the portrait of the Fat Lady and entered the Gryffindor common room together.
Last edited by Cotton on Thu May 28, 2009 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Here's a story of a brother by the name of Othello,
He liked white women and he liked - green jello... - Reduced Shakespeare Company

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed May 13, 2009 8:26 pm
winie603 says...

I thought this was cute, (but a bit boring) and a good piece to add to your collection. Anyway, to the critique.

Characters
I thought your characters lacked just a bit of personality. Give Lillie more traits. From her thoughts and dialogue, it seems she's a second Hermione. This piece seems almost as if a narrator is telling it, instead of the main character herself. But I liked the fact you called Ron, "Weasley boy."

[b]Details!

You definitly lack in details. Everything feels like it goes by so fast, go back and add dialogue of what Hermione and Lillie say while they work on their potion, or atleast Lillie eavesdropping on Harry and Ron and write what they say.
Plus, describe where all the characters are! The setting is almost blank in my mind. Try to create a picture in the reader's head. Don't bunch up all the details in one paragraph, that's called infodump, just spread the details through out the whole story.

Besides that, I think this story was very good. And I know this sounds corny, but try to spice it up a bit! (It can get a bit snoozy at some points)

Also, I know you probably won't take my advice because it'll be a lot of work, but it'd be very cool to write a novel about Hogwarts and everything, in Lillie's point of view.
Keep writing!
*winie*

127 Reviews

Thu May 14, 2009 3:09 pm
Cotton says...

To winie603:
thanks! yeah, on it's own it's not a specifically interesting story, but I also didn't want to make it too long. So thanks for the advice - I'm going to edit it once I get home, because I'm in the school library at the moment lol.
Also cheers for the idea about writing an actual long story about Hogwarts from another view... Yes, it would be a bit hard work but once my exams and stuff are over this term (I'm taking three of my GCSE's and my grade 7 flute exam) I will probably have a go at that. I have actually thought about it several times before!
~*Lillie*~
He liked white women and he liked - green jello... - Reduced Shakespeare Company

144 Reviews

Reviews: 144
Wed May 20, 2009 5:14 pm
GoldenQuill says...

Hello hello hello!
I'm Aushy, and I shall be critiquing your story today.

Other than a few grammar probelms (which were so minor I'm not even going to call you out on them), this was a fairly nice peice. I adore the fact that you illustrated yourself into the story the way you did; it was very lovely, giving Hermonie a friend.
What I don't like is that I realize (that's one of those grammar thingies; you misspelled realize) that this is not only your first year, but also Hermonie, Harry, and Ron's first year. From reading this story, I did not gather that.
It's fine that you used the same words and what-not that the movie did, but I just need a little more opening. I would really like more of the idea that we're all first years, if you know what I mean. I'm probably being really stupid, since obviously all the first years class together, but maybe you can mention that? If I were in your shoes, I'd make you and Hermonie kind of run into each other on the train. Perhaps that's where you know Neville from; you start looking for his lost toad.
Maybe I'm just being weird, but anyway, try to put in somewhere you're all in first year. It SHOULD be obvious, but for some reason to me it wasn't.

Love & Blessings,
Aushy
formerly ZlyWilk

Finally achieving my dreams. Dive into a unique horror story.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed May 27, 2009 11:52 am
Rodhead says...

Hey

This was auch a good idea:D

The only problem with redoing this is that J.K. Rowling is such a good writer that you are obviously going to be compared to her, and I don't think that you have got the same style of writing. When I was read the introduction to this piece you informed me that "this is Harry's first potions class, and how it would turn out differently if I had been there." and well to be honest with you, it didn't really turn out differently at all until the very end. Really all what you did was give an account of what was happening in this class from your eyes. You should have done something different to totally change the plot, I think. It would have made it more interesting. Also I think that your character is the exact same as Heromine Grainger, which I think is a bad idea. The only difference which I saw was that Lillie was afraid to put up her hand. Maybe the story would grow more interesting if Hermoine grew jealous of Lillie or something along those lines.
I was disapointed with this.
Impossible is a word to be found in a dictionary of fools- M. Thatcher

Random avatar

Reviews: 5
Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 pm
Harry Gandalf says...

I think this story was very good. And I know this sounds corny, but try to spice it up a bit! (It can get a bit snoozy at some points)

Also, I know you probably won't take my advice because it'll be a lot of work, but it'd be very cool to write a novel about Hogwarts and everything, in Lillie's point of view.
Keep writing!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:07 am
swantonbomb30795 says...

This is good! The idea of using Lilly was marvellous! Well done. Humorous, to-the-point, and quite accurate.
You could have mentioned something about Lilly's childhood friendship with Snape.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:05 pm
ThisIsAUserName says...

:D This was surprisingly entertaining. Most fan-fics I used to read of Harry Potter were written before certain books came out, predicting what they would be like, so to write one that includes the actual plot of the first book and your own twist on it is something to be proud of, especially since you did it so well!

I caught her eye and we shared a short, small smile.

That marked the point at which I realized, "Wow, she's intertwining herself and the characters." Before that, it was like there was Harry Potter's story, and there was Lillie. Now they are ONE!

even stopper death

I think it might be "Put a stopper to death", but don't quote me on that.

Hermione, clearly desperate to prove she was not a dunderhead,

Hahahaha

“...will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter.”

Another prime example of the creative synthesizing you're doing

You have clearly not stewed your horned slugs on a high enough heat. Well, I can’t say I’m surprised. That’s another point you’ve lost for Gryffindor.”

Was that in the book? If not, it sounds like it could be! :]

“Oh no, now there are two of her.”

THAT'S WHAT HE'D SAY!! :D

Agh, I apologize for not offering anything better. I sifted carefully through it and found myself enjoying the story too much to really lock in on the finer points of the writing itself. However, I do agree with other critics in that you will undoubtedly be compared with J.K. Rowling. Though it may never be on the same level, you should definitely continue with this because it's always interesting to read from alternate points of view. Also, I think the Sorting Hat reference is enough proof that they're in their first year, so I think you're good. You clearly have a great understanding of the character's personas, and you know how to be exact when copying from the book and when to add your own spins. Keep it up!
In me thou see'st the glowing of such fire,
That on the ashes of his youth doth lie,
As the deathbed whereon it must expire,
Consumed by that which it was nourished by.
(Exerpt from Shakespearean Sonnet Number 73)

Reviews: 4
Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:06 am
Sixteen Candles says...

I don't have much to critique, but before I start, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that :D

The murmur of quiet voices died the moment the large doors swung open and Snape swept into the room, his black robes trailed through the air behind him.

It would sound better as 'his black robes trailing...'.

I also suggest maybe choosing a plot twist to make your story differ from the actual Harry Potter book to spice things up a little. Unexpected plot twists draw the reader in a little more, and make them think. 'Hm, I love how they did that to make it different, that's pretty clever!'

Other than that (and they're minor gripes, believe me) it was brilliant! Very true to the real book in dialogue and such, humorous and an overall good writing style.

89 Reviews

Reviews: 89
Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:01 pm
brassnbridle says...

I know this review's incredibly late, but I like Harry Potter and just wanted to say my part. I think you did a good job with this, and like some mentioned, a little more detail could make it great. Espiecially detail about the characters. I know almost everybody who reads this is going to already know what the HP characters look like, but it still will make a better story if you're descriptive.
Also I think you should describe the classrooms and Hogwarts and stuff more, from lillie's point of view.
A couple things, though- you might want to think about changing lillie's name- it's too easily confused with lilly, which was Harry Potter's mom, you know, and at first it confused me that you're not talking about her, even though it's spelled differently... just something to think about if you're going to continue.
Also, I think you need to develop lillie a bit more- she's blending with Hermione. Maybe just give her a few traits that make her stand out?
Overall, I liked it. And I really loved how you are writing a story within the story- that's not easy!
If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.~Toni Morrison

It is written in m life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; I can do no other~ Tolkien

127 Reviews

Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:48 pm
Cotton says...

Aha this reply is incredibly late! Oops... never mind. I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has reviewed (although most of you probably won't read this!) and that I do read them and take them in. If you haven't read this piece before, do head over to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone... and Lillie 2. It's muuuch better, and more worth your time! You also don't have to have read this to know what's going on, because they're not really linked. xD
~*cottonrulz*~

The world is your oyster. Well, it’s my oyster, but you can have some of it.
— Feltrix