Young Writers Society

What do you think of my book?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:51 am
View Likes
Tsholdin says...

Here is the synopsis of "The 13th Rebel Olympics"

Tony, a young man, not yet even of age to be called a man, has to grow up real fast as he gets chosen for the 13th Rebel Olympic Games. He must fight for his life. A life that has left him barefoot and bruised. Does he try and survive and go back to the poverty stricken Sector 3 or die at the hand of another teenager?

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 am
View Likes
Dreamy says...

Woah! They both are two extremes. Well, I say go ahead with it.

Would like to read it. :D
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...

Is this supposed to be the hunger games?
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

476 Reviews

Reviews: 476
Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:22 am
View Likes
Apricity says...

Is a bit like the Hunger Games, but it sounds like it could work so I say, go for it.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:39 pm
Tsholdin says...

Here is what I have so far for the first chapter.
And yes, I got the idea from the Hunger Games, but this is going to be very different.

Chapter 1

Everyone gets out of their school desks and stand facing the screen. No one moans or complains, but it is tense in the room. No one wants to be here for this, because it is time for the Rebel Olympic Address, which is given by the World President, Brutus Crown. This announcement comes every other year, when it is time for 12 teens from each Sector to be selected at random to fight until there is only one surviver, the Champion. All because of the rebellion against the World Delegation.

As we wait for the screen to light up, I imagine everyone in the world stopping and watching the closest screen. For some, is this an enjoyable moment? Or is this dreaded by everyone? The screen lights up with the royal blue background and the red World Delegation Logo. A majestic eagle holding the Rebel Olympic Rings in its talons with two dark red flames with a blue circle in the middle of each flame on each side. The Delegates Anthem plays loudly, booming through the classroom, the streets, and all buildings. It is one of the only pieces of music allowed, and is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. The long sounds with the high tones and the short fast sounds with the low tones playing at the same time is almost as majestic as the eagle. As the anthem plays, everyone stands up straight, fixes their clothes, and smiles. As if the World President will be able to see us. Us out of everyone in the world. We have been told exactly what to do by the elders, and what will happen if we don't do it. "President Crown will be watching you, so be sure to smile," they say. "We want Sector 3 to look as presentable as possible." They explain.

The anthem ends and President Crown fades onto the screen. Behind him is a picture of the World Delegation Logo, and he is standing behind a black metal podium with the same logo on it. He begins to speak by clearing his throat. "Good morning on this the first day of the first month of the 26th year since the World Rebellion." He speaks with such a demanding and sarcastic tone. He sounds as if he were trying to win an election of some sort, and he knows he has already won. "I am proud to announce that the Rebel Olympic Games will be held in Sector 4, as the rules state, "Each Rebel Olympic Games shall be held in the Olympiad Region of the Sector which produced the last Champion." Because of this, Sector 4 is exempt from the 13th Rebel Olympic Games. The Selection will be held in exactly three days in the Olympiad Region of each Sector. After the Selection, more information will be released about this years Rebel Olympic Games. May everyone have a successful an meaningful day."

You would think that he would say more, but he doesn't. He never has for as long as I can remember. Everyone sits back down in their school desks. Our teacher tells everyone to get back to finishing the assignment, but no one does. All anyone can think is "What if I get selected?"
May your days be successful and meaningful
-TH

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:50 pm
CowLogic says...

I agree with @Blackwood. This is definitely The Hunger Games through and through from what I can read from this chapter. Keep that in mind when advertising and writing your story. However, you should write what you want. Just be ready for any publishers or reviewers to claim that the idea is derivative.

What are the main differences between the two books that you are planning?
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:57 pm
View Likes
Clarity says...

Have you read the Hunger Games? If not, I suggest you do. This is too similar to that.

However, it could have potential for a decent story if you change some of your terminology... "The Rebellion" is a common phrase used in the Hunger Games. "Sector __" is too similar to the districts... The announcements by the president is too similar...

You could create some sort of war out of this, but making them go into some sort of battle where they are "selected" is way too similar, and many would complain about the likeliness of this to the Hunger Games.

You could keep this idea, but make your novel a fan-fiction. This would be a perfect way to create a Hunger Games fanfic because a lot of it is off your own back, but it's very similar to the actual Hunger Games.

Goo luck with your story though!
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer